Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

458 winchester magnum Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I reckon if a rifle is very accurate, fired a lot and regularly tested on paper then once you go past the 375 H&H scope problems can be coming your way.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 14 September 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sambarman338:

Strangely, I think as much damage results from the deceleration from recoil, when the erector tube returns to battery. Then we have them scraping past the windage screw and crashing into the elevation one.

I talked with a Leupold tech awhile back and asked about potential damage due to recoil when a scope was fitted to a heavily recoiling rifle and fired from a LeadSled with significant weight. The tech didn't have a qualitative answer but did say that Leupold had received damaged scopes as well as reports from various writers noting that the common factor resulting in the damage was shooting the heavily recoiling rifle from a LeadSled with more than 25 pounds of lead in place.

Since the problem wouldn't occur if the rifle itself weighed more than 35 pounds (Leadsled 10 pounds + lead 25 pounds), this would indicate that the problem lays in the movement of the rifle. If part of the rifle, the recoil would be against the weight of the rifle and would be a factor of the recoil force resulting in a rearward velocity reduced by the rifle weight. (F=MA, where the recoil force results in an acceleration that is divided by the rifle mass, the more the mass the less the acceleration. So having a scope on a 458WM that weighs 35 pounds would not be the cause of damage to the scope.

So how is the LeadSled arrangement different? My opinion is that it is different because the initial rearward force from the bullet moving through the barrel is restrained only by the actual weight of the rifle because there is slack between the rifle and the LeadSled. This would be due to the rifles recoil pad as well as the slot/collar in which the rifle sits. While the movement allowed by this slack is quite short in distance, it is significant enough to allow full recoil velocity of the primary stage- that being the recoil due to the bullet and powder gases traveling from the chamber to the muzzle. At that point the slack is absorbed by the system and the 35 pounds of resistance is added to the recoil formula. So in effect the rifle goes from weighing 10 pounds to 45 pounds (10 + 10 + 25) and the velocity is rapidly absorbed, virtually halting rearward and upward movement of the rifle and scope.

Most scopes are designed to withstand severe amounts of acceleration to the rear resulting from recoil, but they are not designed to withstand the deceleration in the distance afforded by the increased resistance of added weight. Evidently, if the added weight is less than the 25 pounds then no immediate damage occurs to the scope, however if the weight is increased, say to 50 pounds of lead (10 + 50 + 10 for rifle) then the deceleration of a full charged load from 458s and larger will cause damage to the scope in a very few shots.

So if you want to shoot a 458 and larger and you want it to have a scope, then you get to make a choice: do you prefer to damage your scope or your retinas?

Posts: 1421 | Location: WA St, USA | Registered: 28 August 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I found the best way was a leather bag of shot behind the butt. Takes some getting used to but also same point of impact and bag is not packed tight. I had 2 bags. One weighed about 15 pounds and the other was over 40 pounds. The 15 pound bag I could use in the field across the bonnet of the car. What is interesting with both bags is much of the recoil force seems to go sideways. In other words the rifle moves back far less than it would if it weighed the same. However, if the bag is packed tight then things are different.

A bloke who used to post here a lot, John S, had a good system. He had a leather strap with bags of shot attached to each end and the strap went around the butt but it had a leather section on top so the strap did not fall down.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 14 September 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I started selling Meopta scopes in my gun shop in South Africa in the mid-eighties. For the first time, in 2015, a Meopta customer came back to order a part. He lost the windage dust cover.

In the USA I built CheyTac M200 and M300 rifles from September 2016 to April 2018. The majority of the M200 rifles were 408 CheyTac and the majority of the M300 rifles were 375 CheyTac and we tested every single rifle before it went to the customer, sometimes twice. I bought a Meopta scope to do the testing and it never gave trouble, despite having fitted it to dozens of rifles and being adjusted much more than the average scope.

I am saying that I have great faith in the ruggedness of Meopta scopes. They are clear under low light and have the best adjusting system that I have encountered.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
... I seem to slip over once or twice every hunt but usually manage to save the scope. However, the last time I hunted tahr in NZ I managed to drop the 270 WSM three times on the shingle slides - but it didn't seem to change the Leupold's zero. In the long run, of course, it is recoil that usually kills scopes; the inertia on the heavy, suspended erector tube every time you touch off.

Ditto.
I had one good fall on the slippery rocks of the hillside last weekend.
I suspect the Nikon 1-4x24mm M-Tac scope might have taken a hit, so it is time for Alderella to go on a "crash" diet.
Lighter stock and lighter scope, coming up, the old one will be close to zero if it goes back onto the rifle.
You can never have too many backup scopes,
but generally one is enough.
tu2
Rip ...

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .458 Only:
quote:
Originally posted by 416Tanzan:
those are pretty woods.

On scope, I just picked up a rather light Nikon Prostaff 2-7 (12oz) for a Kimber Hunter Edge 308Win. The Kimber wanted something light.

The eye-relief 3.8" is more than adequate for a 308, but should work for Alderella should you want some "reach" for looking at a bush some yards out. It is amazing what quality can be obtained for relatively low cost these days.

416Tanzan;

That's the same scope I have on my Ruger #1 .458. Before that, it was on my Ruger #1 in .45-70 LT (long-throat). Recoil from that rifle was between 40 to 60 ft-lbs. Never a problem, and it's very bright and clear. 1/4 clicks work as claimed. It's great in thick brush or woods at 2X.Pic is on the header of my blogs.

Bob

www.bigbores.ca

There is that Nikon 2-7x32mm on Bob's Ruger No.1 .458 WIN.
Good to hear it is doing so well.
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .458 Only:
RIP; I love those pics of Alderella in the thickets.

My #1 Ruger in .458 is only 38-1/4" -- as you would know. Great brush gun, but heavy (as I wanted for eye protection), but still lighter than the CZ550 with scope, sling and 4 in the magazine at 11.25 lbs. Nominal wt, for the #1 Ruger with 4 on the stock, one in the chamber, scoped is 10.6 lbs. It does hold very steady once up and pointing at a "target".

Bob

www.bigbores.ca

Bob,

I found that a Leupold 2.5x20mm weighs as much as a set of Ruger rings (medium height, #4+#5) plus the Butler Creek scope caps to fit it:
Scope+rings+caps = 6.5 oz + 6.5 oz = 13 oz!

Alderella weighs 8 lbs 9 oz without the scope or ammo, in a canoe-paddle stock, as shown.

I forgot about having addded a little weight to the stock with a real recoil pad.
The canoe-paddle stock was a little heavier than I thought.
That is OK by me:

I might have to break out a KDF muzzle brake if she hurts me.

One more image for Bob and 416Tanzan who have expressed a liking for woodsy images:

tu2
Rip ...

One of Us
Picture of Cold Trigger Finger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ray B:
It occurs to me that there is virtue and personalization to giving names to various firearms. Naming a firearm is a time honored tradition going back at least a few centuries. But names for firearms are like names given babies, in that the name will become both definer and predictor of the child and the rifle. So it is important to choose an appropriate name. In this endeavor, I seek guidance from this August body regarding the criteria used in selecting a proper name.

What process and criteria do you use to select a suitable name for a firearm?

Generally the name any of my firearms has is caliber or maker driven.
I named the Spruce King when I thot it up.
It has lived up to its name for me and will continue to

Phil Shoemaker : "I went to a .30-06 on a fine old Mauser action. That worked successfully for a few years until a wounded, vindictive brown bear taught me that precise bullet placement is not always possible in thick alders, at spitting distances and when time is measured in split seconds. Lucky to come out of that lesson alive, I decided to look for a more suitable rifle."

Posts: 1934 | Location: Eastern Central Alaska | Registered: 15 July 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
It occurs to me that there is virtue and personalization to giving names to various firearms. Naming a firearm is a time honored tradition going back at least a few centuries.

Daniel Boone: His Pennsylvania Rifle "Tick Licker" could lick the ticks off his hound at 100 yards. Caliber is disputed, most likely a .45-cal, the All-American caliber. Davey Crockett: "Ol' Betsy" was his first rifle, a .40-cal flintlock. Maybe he just liked the name. Another fine, presentation-grade flintlock, from his grateful political constituents, was also .40-cal and named the same. Buffalo Bill Cody: "Lucretia Borgia" was a deadly woman, name-sake of his Trapdoor .50-70 Govt.

But names for firearms are like names given babies, in that the name will become both definer and predictor of the child and the rifle. So it is important to choose an appropriate name. In this endeavor, I seek guidance from this August body regarding the criteria used in selecting a proper name.

What process and criteria do you use to select a suitable name for a firearm?

Just whatever floats your boat.
Mostly it ought to have a bit of sentimentality or humor to it.
Or flat-out fact, like "Ol'Ugly."
Thanks for ringing THE MISSION bell.
tu2
Rip ...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Page 92. Now less than 8 pages to go for the next benchmark of three digits.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 458Win:
I have never been one for naming inanimate objects but sometimes names are acquired and bestowed by others, not unlike those acquired by native warriors.
The late gunwriter Finn Aagaard wrote how my 458 shot and handled well and was perfect for its intended use but even Finn couldn't ignore the fact that it was ugly. ( I judge its beauty on performance and had not noticed )

Then Rifle magazine editor Dave Scovill began calling it Old Ugly and the name stuck.

I still judge it only on its performance and the more I experience with other large bore cartridges, the more I appreciate the standard 458 Win.

That deserves a repeat repeat, for THE MISSION:

Phil Shoemaker about the .458 WIN:

"I still judge it only on its performance and the more I experience with other large bore cartridges, the more I appreciate the standard 458 Win."
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike McGuire and Ray B,

Lead Sleds break wooden stocks too.
A Past Pad is what I use at the bench.
Though I do have two 25-pound bags of shot in a saddlebag arrangement.
50 pounds on my shooting shoulder, half on my chest and half at my back, did not work too well.
I walked with a lean to the right for days after each range session.
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Gerard,

I have not run into any Meopta scopes, but will certainly be on the lookout for them,
to see what they have for a .458 WIN.

Are you settled in with the bullet making machinery in SC?

I think Finn Aagaard would highly approve of the .458/400-gr HV.

Anybody with a standard .458 WIN should start with 72.0 grains of AA-2230 and work toward 80.0 grains,
with whatever COL they find practical with your 400-grain HV bullet.
They should stop when they find the accuracy and velocity they like.
I am partial to 80.0 grains and 3.395" COL.
tu2
Rip ...

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Strangely, I think as much damage results from the deceleration from recoil, when the erector tube returns to battery. Then we have them scraping past the windage screw and crashing into the elevation one.

I talked with a Leupold tech awhile back and asked about potential damage due to recoil when a scope was fitted to a heavily recoiling rifle and fired from a LeadSled with significant weight. The tech didn't have a qualitative answer but did say that Leupold had received damaged scopes as well as reports from various writers noting that the common factor resulting in the damage was shooting the heavily recoiling rifle from a LeadSled with more than 25 pounds of lead in place.

Since the problem wouldn't occur if the rifle itself weighed more than 35 pounds (Leadsled 10 pounds + lead 25 pounds), this would indicate that the problem lays in the movement of the rifle. If part of the rifle, the recoil would be against the weight of the rifle and would be a factor of the recoil force resulting in a rearward velocity reduced by the rifle weight. (F=MA, where the recoil force results in an acceleration that is divided by the rifle mass, the more the mass the less the acceleration. So having a scope on a 458WM that weighs 35 pounds would not be the cause of damage to the scope.

So how is the LeadSled arrangement different? My opinion is that it is different because the initial rearward force from the bullet moving through the barrel is restrained only by the actual weight of the rifle because there is slack between the rifle and the LeadSled. This would be due to the rifles recoil pad as well as the slot/collar in which the rifle sits. While the movement allowed by this slack is quite short in distance, it is significant enough to allow full recoil velocity of the primary stage- that being the recoil due to the bullet and powder gases traveling from the chamber to the muzzle. At that point the slack is absorbed by the system and the 35 pounds of resistance is added to the recoil formula. So in effect the rifle goes from weighing 10 pounds to 45 pounds (10 + 10 + 25) and the velocity is rapidly absorbed, virtually halting rearward and upward movement of the rifle and scope.

Most scopes are designed to withstand severe amounts of acceleration to the rear resulting from recoil, but they are not designed to withstand the deceleration in the distance afforded by the increased resistance of added weight. Evidently, if the added weight is less than the 25 pounds then no immediate damage occurs to the scope, however if the weight is increased, say to 50 pounds of lead (10 + 50 + 10 for rifle) then the deceleration of a full charged load from 458s and larger will cause damage to the scope in a very few shots.

So if you want to shoot a 458 and larger and you want it to have a scope, then you get to make a choice: do you prefer to damage your scope or your retinas?

Thanks Ray, I'm getting old: sorry I forgot your vital contribution to this discussion.

How much mass contributes to recoil-inertia damage should never be forgotten.

No matter what magic Band-aids are brought to 'constantly centred' scopes (bar those using the Pecar system), the mass inside able to move under recoil will always be five-to-10 times the norm before 1955.

The achilles heel of old scopes was the metal reticle, and the best poor-light design (German #1) was probably the most vulnerable because it had three posts extending into the middle but lacked support on the other side. However, because the minute pickets had next-to-no mass, recoil rarely affected them. (I have seen uneven sidebars but they may have been soldered badly.) The now-shunned simple 'cross hair', though wanting in poor light, was probably the most stable non-etched type. Weaver and Kahles, at least, used to make them from spider web and that is one of the strongest light substances known to man.

Posts: 4959 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Several years ago, for some reason I took one of my weaver K 2.5 scopes apart and due to being inobservant, damaged the wire reticle. Having read in Jack O'Connor's book about a fellow that used hairs from his girlfriends as cross hairs and that thin blonde ones were best, I retrieved one from one of my sons baby books. It was on him when he was born and was blonde to the point of almost white. So I stretched it across the points where the original crosshair had been and glued it into place. It's been in place now for about 20 years but I don't have the heart to try it out on a rifle. I suppose I could give it a go on a 22, but there's too much sentimental value for me to put it on something that may knock it apart. but I agree with Mr O'Connor's friend, thin blonde hairs make very good crosshairs.

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
I'm sure human hair would be strong enough for most purposes, Ray, but suspect it might be a bit 'hairy' under magnification, if you know what I mean.

On the matter of rifle names, I must admit to borrowing Davy Crockett's 'Betsy' for my companion of 38 years. Has anyone called theirs Druzilla - the name bequeathed (or afflicted?) by William Clark upon a family you may recall?

Posts: 4959 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sambarman338: Has anyone called theirs Druzilla ?

I have considered Lucretia MacEvil for some of the harder kicking guns that I've fired, but haven't quite succumbed to the temptation.

I'll see if I can make a photograph of the K 2.5 with the baby hair crosshair.

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
According to a book called Cesare Borgia by Sarah Bradford, cliched history has done a job on Lucretia.

"Far from being the poisoning Messalina of legend, she was a gay, charming, pleasure-loving girl, whose high spirits made her ... the centre of the Vatican circle."

She was a pretty, blonde girl, if Pinturicchio's fresco can be trusted.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A photo of the K2.5 60A Weaver with my son's crosshair. In the photo it doesn't seem to show but when looking through the scope it is clear.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ray B,

For some reason your eye and the camera are focusing differently.
Is that a blurred vertical hair (real baby hair!) seen against those tan boards across the way?

sambarmann338,
Lucretia got a bad rap you say?
Thanks for the Italian history.
Mike McGuire might enjoy that bit of cultural enrichment.
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Switching from the Medium-High rings (#4 and #5 on the M77 Mk II) to the Low-Medium rings (#3 and #4),
shaved 2 ounces off the scoped rifle weight.
Alderella weighs 9#4oz (9.25 lbs) like this,
before adding a half-pound of ammo:

one of us
posted Hide Post
Scoped and loaded with 1/2-pound of ammo (4 rounds),
she weighs 9.75 lbs:

... and balances exactly on the front action screw at 9.75 lbs scoped and loaded. dancing
This rifle feels good in the hands.
Can't wait to see how it feels on the shoulder.
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Outstanding Zytel-to-metal fit: hilbily

one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post
I used some LOCTITE brand, clear silicone adhesive,
in the lower half of the rings only.
A little bead extruded may be seen here:

That will peel off and clean up nicely.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Another thing done was to squeeze some steel shims between the front of the magazine box and the Zytel magazine wall.

The little piece of steel shim shown below is a scrap left over from making these shims from a large steel can lid/bottom (like a coffee can), using tin snips/shears:

The shims are about 0.012" thick.
It took a stack of 3 of them to be snug in the magazine well.
Alderella had this magazine box, exterior front wall, reinforced against dents by glass bedding,
in the HS Precision stock.
My shims will serve in this stock.
I do love a canoe paddle.
tu2
Rip ...

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
quote:
A photo of the K2.5 60A Weaver with my son's crosshair. In the photo it doesn't seem to show but when looking through the scope it is clear.

I think I can see it, vertical, slightly right of centre. When you see it yourself, is it 'seamless' or does it show a slightly rough appearance with short strands trailing off?

Regarding Lucretia, yes, she was collateral damage IIRC, though it is years since I read the book. Her father was a disreputable Renaissance Pope and her brother Cesare (pron. Chezerie), as head of the Vatican's army, almost united Italy two or three centuries before Garibaldi. People like that make a few enemies.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll be redoing the photo tomorrow and paying close attention to the focus on the crosshair. I'm not sure what happened with it- I photographed a few others and the reticles are easily seen.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
On reviewing some other photographs through scopes I made today I see something that reminded me of looking through a scope that I got when I was in high school several years ago. I got it for Christmas so I was looking through it at various objects in the house. Being inside, those objects were from 10 to 20 feet away. I noticed that when I initially looked through the scope the crosshairs were visible but when I focused more precisely on the object, the crosshair blurred out of view. the scope was a Bushnell Banner 4x with standard crosshair. Seeing the photographs I'm wondering if focusing the camera so that the fence (which is about 30' away) was sharp it may yield the same result as close focusing the Banner. I note that the buildings in the background, which are a little over 100' away are out of focus. When using the Banner I recall that if I looked at something that wasn't so close, say 50 yards away, the reticle remained in focus. So tomorrow I'll give it another go, and make sure that the camera focus is on the building. the fence may be out of focus but my expectation is that the crosshair will be sharp.

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
As you know, I've taken lots of photos through scopes. The only dichotomy I noticed was that the focus was either through the scope or on the eyepiece.

So, is your focus far from the zero on a diopter setting? If so, perhaps you could get someone with more-or-less 20/20 or spec-corrected vision to focus the scope, then take some pictures.

I've got myopia but my glasses are only a couple of years old and work close to zero on Euro scope focuses. One place I do notice problems looking through scopes, though, is if I'm wearing reading glasses instead of the ones for long distance.

One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
That's why scope manufacturers say to point the scope to the sky to focus it properly. Try that, maybe the autofocus on the camera will then see the crosshairs and not the fence.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2796 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Yes, Cougarz's Smiler method should be used for focusing the scope, but after that, on such a low power, the reticle and fence should both be OK.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
New photograph of the K2.5 with baby crosshair. I focused on the crosshair to the exclusion of other aspects of set-up. So the xcope isn't squared-up or pointed at an informative area, but the crosshair is visible. Not sure what that says about my eyesight since when I look through the scope both the crosshair and the target area are both in focus.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Cool!
Baby-hair reticle.

And here is as simple as it gets for hunting trajectory on deer-size and bigger critters.
Point and shoot to 250 yards,
but do not forget the wind.
"Drift" shown here is for a 10 mph crosswind,
with GSC .458/400gr HV:

500 to 1000 yards is on the back of this little, laminated, range card, but it has no redeeming social value, so it is censored.
tu2
Rip ...

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
quote:
New photograph of the K2.5 with baby crosshair. I focused on the crosshair to the exclusion of other aspects of set-up. So the xcope isn't squared-up or pointed at an informative area, but the crosshair is visible. Not sure what that says about my eyesight since when I look through the scope both the crosshair and the target area are both in focus.

The blending is great, though, redolent of old Zeiss and Nickel scopesWink. I took one like that through a Leupold but it was just a fluke.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Without a doubt, truly that is as good as it gets for "field blending."
Looking at the picture is fully explanatory for the definition of the term: Field blending.
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
There are two kinds of people in the USA.

One kind of person includes all those who belong to the Democratic Party and also includes all those who "deny" the .458 WIN.

The second kind of person includes all those who belong to the Republican Party and also includes all those who accept the .458 Win for what it is, the greatest big game hunting rifle cartridge ever.

These two classes of USA citizens are also known respectively as the bad and the good,
or, the dumbasses and the intelligent,
respectively.