McCann M1 .458Win

I know nothing!
But I bet it would make a great Jungle Carbine:

Ring a ding.
tu2
Rip ...

Big Grin animal

I know I need one now...what a blast!

Once again, the Chosen is proving itself as a versatile and unique cartridge!

------------------------------------------------------------------------
ColdBore 1.0 - the ballistics/reloading software solution
http://www.patagoniaballistics.com

Posts: 748 | Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina | Registered: 14 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 86thecat:
Rip,

All you seem to have are insults and playing grammar Nazi.

Hope your dementia meds kick in soon so you can think rationally.

Useing the correct Ammo in the correct weapon is on the end user. RIP, has no liability for someone’s stupidity. You are barking up the wrong tree.

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JWP,

I will say this, then am finished here.

The bravado and arrogance here by Rip, promoting his overloaded "wildcat" as the second coming of Christ in a DG cartridge with zero concern for what may occur when his rantings are taken to heart by inexperienced, impressionable neophytes is what I have issue with. In answer to my concern that his reloads could blow up a Lott and cause injury, he reveled in the "proof" of how superior his "super wildcat" is.
That did set me off a bit.

Remember when Shootaway first turned up? I am sure there are many more reading this site just as misinformed as he was and we should be careful how "off the books reloading" is presented. Luckily Shootaway has been around long enough without blowing himself up to learn and grow.

My concern isn't that a cartridge is experimented with. My concern is when advanced reloading is presented to the general public as the holy grail of dangerous game cartridges, and yes some responsibility rests firmly on the brow of anyone recklessly promoting such in a public forum without proper warnings.

Posts: 353 | Location: Southern Black Hills SD | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jwp475:
Using the correct Ammo in the correct weapon is on the end user. RIP has no liability for someone’s stupidity. You are barking up the wrong tree.

Well said, jwp475.
Quoting that is a great start to page 104 of THE MISSION. Doing the right thing has no end.
tu2
Rip ...

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
quote:
My concern isn't that a cartridge is experimented with. My concern is when advanced reloading is presented to the general public as the holy grail of dangerous game cartridges, and yes some responsibility rests firmly on the brow of anyone recklessly promoting such in a public forum without proper warnings.
Not sure that these forums truly equate to "the general public" though their are/have been many individuals who have admitted ignorance to proper reloading practices.

That said, RIP's posts on "loading/reloading of non-standard cartridges" are pretty easily understood pretty much because they're both lengthy and detailed. Virtually the opposite of posters who have stated reloading levels that would be greatly overpressure for a standard CIP/SAAMI cartridge without also clearly stating that they're loading longer that CIP/SAAMI specifications and/or they're using a chamber which has a much longer freebore (using the generic freebore catch all phraseology) either or both of which will reduce the pressure generated by the stated cartridge when compared to accepted loadings for a CIP/SAAMI spec cartridge.

No alibi for anyone posting their loading information because it's always the responsibility of the individual performing the reloading and the user of the reloaded cartridge to assure the reloaded ammunition will be safe in the firearm it will be used in...

Jim coffee
"Life's hard; it's harder if you're stupid"
John Wayne

Posts: 4954 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

The bravado and arrogance here by Rip, promoting his overloaded "wildcat" as the second coming of Christ in a DG cartridge with zero concern for what may occur when his rantings are taken to heart by inexperienced, impressionable neophytes is what I have issue with. In answer to my concern that his reloads could blow up a Lott and cause injury, he reveled in the "proof" of how superior his "super wildcat" is.

Fucking ridiculous.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 14 September 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jim and Mike,

Thank you very much for the excellent responses to 86thenut.
Jim's is amazingly erudite and polite. beer
Mike's gets right to the bottom line. beer

86thenut obviously has got his thong on for the .458 WIN LongCOL. Might be his mankini is in a wad.
I recommend he try boxer shorts to relieve the discomfort.
Maybe an adult diaper next time he has the urge to piss in the Cheerios.
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bobbarrella Shilen-CZ has dug up another fashion accessory, a Sightron SIII 1-7x24mm Illuminated 4A.

I'll have her try that one on too, with the muzzle brake, aka electronics protector.
Nikon Shotgun scopes are for Chimera WinCZechster and Alderella Shilen-Ruger. If those will fit the girls, about any other scope will too.

I'll use the CZ rings on Bobbarrella with longer scopes, except for the Leupold 2.5X which will use the Reverse-Seyfried Picatinny and Burris rings.

Here is that Leupold 1.75-6Ex32mm with heavy duplex reticle. Will see how that works for precision aiming:

The smaller objectives are less likely to screw themselves out of the front of the scope.
More rugged.
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
The complete hunting outfit weighs 9lbs 14 oz as shown:

It takes 6 rounds of ammo to fill the box.
Box retains 6.
Close the bolt and the top round feeds, slick!
Cannot get a seventh round in unless one uses a 1/10" deeper box, like with a Wisner floorplate I have.
She could be a 6 + 1 sevenshooter.
But, 7 rounds would be over 3/4 pound of ammo weight,
and she is a flawless feeder as a 6 + 0 sixshooter.
I won't monkey with that.
Since she is a FEEDER AND SHOOTER, she might get a new trigger and safety,
however, the CZ set trigger at about 1 pound and non-set function at 2.5 lbs is cool.

The 450-grain TSX at about 2450 fps MV is my accuracy load, so far, 82.0 grains of AA-2230, Tubbs's hBN, 3.680" COL, no powder compression.
Since a trouble-free 84.0 grains was 100% with drop tube,
I'll skip the drop tube for only 82.0 grains.

But I better try the hBN-ed 500-gr TSX next,
at 2250 to 2350 fps (3.780" COL) with hBN in the Shilen barrel.

Of course, removing the muzzlebrake may find different accuracy nodes.
That must be tried too.
I have hope for the 350-grain TSX load that had Sd of 0 fps for 3 shots. MV = 2663, 2663, 2663, with H4198 78.0 grains, WLRM, 3.440" COL, and hBN.
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
Picture of Gustavo
posted Hide Post
quote:
JWP,

I will say this, then am finished here.

That did set me off a bit.

Remember when Shootaway first turned up? I am sure there are many more reading this site just as misinformed as he was and we should be careful how "off the books reloading" is presented. Luckily Shootaway has been around long enough without blowing himself up to learn and grow.

I may be prone to say you may have a point if, and only if, RIP is a newcomer to the reloading world and the audience is made up of kids under 5 looking for a candy...but you, them and the rest of the world know better.

RIP is rude, because THE MISSION is a tall order. Watching over it is far and beyond what most people will ever come to understand...

Bravado? No sir. Arrogance? No sir.

Fully blown out of executive knowledge and willingness to share...YES SIR!

Selfish? No sir...on the contrary the wealth of bits passed on by the Watcher himself is so insurmountable that speaks volumes about his selfless for others willing to watch and learn.

We should be grateful and humble before the Watcher. He deserves better.

PS: RIP you owe me a full box of .458WIN loads...Barnes only hilbily animal

Posts: 748 | Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina | Registered: 14 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gustavo,
Thanks.
That and 3 bucks will get you a Shiner Bock beer at my favorite biker bar. beer
If I sent you some ammo, 86thenut would have to hand deliver it and see that it did not get into a SAAMI .458 Lott where it might cause some greater than SAAMI pressure.
Are you prepared to accept such supervision from the IHP (Internet Handloading Police)?
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
Picture of Gustavo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RIP:
Gustavo,
Thanks.
That and 3 bucks will get you a Shiner Bock beer at my favorite biker bar. beer
If I sent you some ammo, 86thenut would have to hand deliver it and see that it did not get into a SAAMI .458 Lott where it might cause some greater than SAAMI pressure.
Are you prepared to accept such supervision from the IHP (Internet Handloading Police)?
tu2
Rip ...

RIP, you know I'll there to collect so watch your six!! beer

IHP...my ass... rotflmo

posted Hide Post
RIP
I notice some CZ Safari 458's have one ceoss bolt some have two and I looked at one today with none. Mine has one, should I consider adding one more?
Pavementends
Great job putting up with negitive comments

Posts: 9 | Location: MS | Registered: 29 April 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hodgdon data for BENCHMARK, pressures in CUP,
53,000 is SAAMI maximum of old, now it is 60,000 psi,
should be comparable:

Yes, RIP, Varget looks better. Comparing that table with the ADI one, it would appear it is the same as AR2208. The charges are the same and velocities come within a couple of fps; Benchmark appears to have a similar relationship to ADI's Bench Mark 2.

I wonder what the deal was with Win 748 - no starting load and a lacklustre velocity, yet the lowest max pressures in the table. Is it too bulky, despite being a ball powder?

BTW, what's your opinion of the Speer 350-grain SPFN for either the 458WM or Miroku Win 86 .45-70? I bought some the other day thinking they were one of Ray Atkinson's favorites but it seems his choice is actually the Hornady 350gr.

Posts: 4955 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pavementends1:
RIP
I notice some CZ Safari 458's have one ceoss bolt some have two and I looked at one today with none. Mine has one, should I consider adding one more?
Pavementends

Pavementends1:

This is what Bobbarrella looked like before re-stocking and re-barreling:

She came originally with the single crossbolt behind the tang, in the wrist area.
The early Lux stocks were like that, maybe still are if you can find one nowadays, made for the European market, the "Hogback" stock.
I had gunsmith add the traditionally-located two visible crossbolts.

By golly! Here is a Lux/"Hogback" that came originally with NO CROSSBOLTS,
IIRC, it was a .300 WinMag (CZ did both Medium and Magnum actions in that caliber) and the 2 visible crossbolts were added by gunsmith:

Since CZ-USA sprouted up, they started adding on the "Phat American" style such as in the early laminate stock below, came on a .416 Rigby,
and had ZERO crossbolts:

I had gunsmith add the visible crossbolts, stainless pillars, and hidden crossbolts of allthread, and long-axial allthread in grip.
A lot of steel was added.
Seven steel inserts, "boltings and pillars" were added. The finished rifle was the first .500 Mbogo 3-Inch.

The earliest .505 Gibbs and .404 Jeffery rifles came from CZ-USA with fancy walnut Phat American stocks and no crossbolts!

I had a gunsmith add crossbolts to both of those, glass bed and pillars.
The .404 Jeffery still broke through the grip due to poor grain layout, marblecake in the grip.

CZ replaced my .404 Jeffery stock with a "Kevlar" stock, at my request.
They now call it the "Aramid" and they were asking about $450 for it when I got another one from them.
Bell & Carlson sells the same stock now for about $250.
And B&C gives you a choice of color.
That is where Bobbarrella got her stock, B&C.

Nowadays CZ USA installs the traditional 2 visible crossbolts on their safari rifle.
They were losing money replacing stocks.

Yes you need extra crossbolts if you only have one on your walnut or laminate stock.
It would be best to get the B&C stock like Bobbarrella wears.
That has a full-metal endoskeleton.
No barrel recoil lug needed, nor desirable.
Just glass bed the remnants of a CZ barrel lug into the recess in the forearm of the B&C stock,
if you have a factory barrel.
They are good barrels of .459" groove diameter, 1:14" twist, in .458 WinMag.
Chimera WinCZechster did all her excellent shooting with one of those,
early on in this thread: 500-grain TSX at 2250 fps MV and 0.19-MOA for 3 shots,
and even went up to about 2340 fps MV with no pressure signs, at 3.780" COL!

I would have left the original barrel on Bobbarrella if I had not already ruined it by re-chambering it to .458 Lott.
Never again will I ruin a CZ .458 Win.Mag. by re-chambering it to .458 Lott.
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sambarman338:

Yes, RIP, Varget looks better. Comparing that table with the ADI one, it would appear it is the same as AR2208. The charges are the same and velocities come within a couple of fps; Benchmark appears to have a similar relationship to ADI's Bench Mark 2.

I do love Varget/AR2208. It gave me best results in the 404 Jeffery with 340-gr to 400-grain bullets, top velocity with accuracy.
Benchmark is a sentimental favorite because it is a Hodgdon Extreme powder like an improved IMR-3031, first love in the .458 WIN.
But it is darn confusing to figure which of the ADI powders is Benchmark. AR-BMk2?

I wonder what the deal was with Win 748 - no starting load and a lacklustre velocity, yet the lowest max pressures in the table. Is it too bulky, despite being a ball powder?

No, it is not compressed there.
IMR/Dupont powders were not owned by Hodgdon when that table was made, possibly?
So, they were treated like redheaded stepchildren in the Hodgdon book.
No effort at an update yet?
Same treatment of Winchester powders, why encourage anyone to buy Winchester powders?

BTW, what's your opinion of the Speer 350-grain SPFN for either the 458WM or Miroku Win 86 .45-70? I bought some the other day thinking they were one of Ray Atkinson's favorites but it seems his choice is actually the Hornady 350gr.

They are about equals in the .458 WIN. Better in the .45-70.
My Speer Mag Tips have 2 cannelures, a tiny little one out in front of a standard, wider cannelure.
Seat deep in the .45-70, seat long in the .458 WIN.
I have had excellent accuracy with the Speer in a Marlin .45-70.
Not so good accuracy with the Hornady RNSP in the .458 WIN.
I would rather shoot the Speer in the 1886 at 1800 to 1900 fps.
2500 fps in the .458 WIN should be a cinch, even with ShortCOL.

I had poor accuracy and never got near claimed velocities with Win748, in my thutty-thutty Marlin days.
Nor in .375 H&H, so I quit using it long ago.
tu2
Rip ...

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Thanks RIP,
my grandchildren have reddy hair - we like to think it's a sign of high IQ, in terms of clock-speed at least.

I will now proceed to open the Speer 350-grain packet rather than wonder when I might make the 200-mile trip back to the place I bought it ...

These ones only have one cannelure, the front of which is .400" ahead of the base. The diameter at that point has reduced to .454", tapering to about .452 within another cannelure width. So, if that doesn't clear the .45-70's rifling, I can either use the short Hornady cases or the Lee factory-crimp die. The box says they are ideal for tubular magazines - the meplat appears to be about .240", hopefully giving some support beyond the large-rifle primers.

If that is not enough, well, I'll just have to buy that 458WM Smiler

Posts: 4955 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Backup "express sights" for Bobbarrella?
My tombstone should read "RIP."
tu2
Rip ...

One of Us
Picture of 4sixteen
posted Hide Post
350gr TSX at 2800 fps muzzle speed is pretty good from a 25" barrel. I easily get just under 2600 fps from my handy 23" barrel box-stock .458 WM in the absence of all the deek-arsen around with whatever.

Add 40 to 50 fps per inch so with a 25" barrel muzzle speed would be 2700+ fps no problem. Good rifle. It's on the roster for use this Spring.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4sixteen:
350gr TSX at 2800 fps muzzle speed is pretty good from a 25" barrel.

Yep, thanks.

I easily get just under 2600 fps from my handy 23" barrel box-stock .458 WM in the absence of all the deek-arsen around with whatever.

If 2557 fps is your 5-yard velocity, in the 2500-2600 fps range add 16 fps to correct to MV:

2557 + 16 = 2573 fps

Add 40 to 50 fps per inch so with a 25" barrel muzzle speed would be 2700+ fps no problem. Good rifle. It's on the roster for use this Spring.

The 500-grain bullet loaded with powder burn rate like IMR3031 or Benchmark
would have a velocity change of about 15 fps per inch for the interval of 23" barrel to 25.
Greater change per inch below 23", lesser change per inch above 25".
A lighter bullet such as the 350-gr TSX will have greater MV change per inch of barrel length change,
and the faster powder required to go as fast as "just under 2600 fps" would show lesser change in MV over that 23" to 25" increase in barrel length,
having been more completely burnt in a shorter barrel than would be the slower powder.
Those two compensating factors would make for little difference versus the 500-grainer/Benchmark baseline load.
An over estimation for the 350-gr TSX load's change with barrel length
is probably more like 1% of the MV per inch between 22" and 26" barrel lengths.
1% of 2600 fps is 26 fps.
Not 40 to 50 fps per inch between 23" and 25".

So, make that 26 fps per inch X 2 inches = 52 fps.
Your 5-yard chronograph reading corrected to MV plus guesstimated from 23" to 25" barrel = 2557 + 16 + 52 = 2625 fps.

Now, what is "all the deek-arsen around with whatever"?
Does your "deek-arsin" refer to my use of hBN powder on the bullets, using a drop tube, or what whatever?
Looks like you are "deek-arsin" with the COL.

Watch out for 86thenut of the IHP!
Roll Eyes
Rip ...

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
quote:

Backup "express sights" for Bobbarrella?
My tombstone should read "RIP."
tu2
Rip ...

If you go hunting the wrong game with that back-up on top, it might read Ripped up by a leopard Wink

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
RIP
Pavementends

This is what Bobbarrella looked like before re-stocking and re-barreling:

She came originally with the single crossbolt behind the tang, in the wrist area.
The early Lux stocks were like that, maybe still are if you can find one nowadays, made for the European market, the "Hogback" stock.
I had gunsmith add the traditionally-located two visible crossbolts.

By golly! Here is a Lux/"Hogback" that came originally with NO CROSSBOLTS,
IIRC, it was a .300 WinMag (CZ did both Medium and Magnum actions in that caliber) and the 2 visible crossbolts were added by gunsmith:

Since CZ-USA sprouted up, they started adding on the "Phat American" style such as in the early laminate stock below, came on a .416 Rigby,
and had ZERO crossbolts:

I had gunsmith add the visible crossbolts, stainless pillars, and hidden crossbolts of allthread, and long-axial allthread in grip.
A lot of steel was added.
Seven steel inserts, "boltings and pillars" were added. The finished rifle was the first .500 Mbogo 3-Inch.

The earliest .505 Gibbs and .404 Jeffery rifles came from CZ-USA with fancy walnut Phat American stocks and no crossbolts!

I had a gunsmith add crossbolts to both of those, glass bed and pillars.
The .404 Jeffery still broke through the grip due to poor grain layout, marblecake in the grip.

CZ replaced my .404 Jeffery stock with a "Kevlar" stock, at my request.
They now call it the "Aramid" and they were asking about $450 for it when I got another one from them.
Bell & Carlson sells the same stock now for about $250.
And B&C gives you a choice of color.
That is where Bobbarrella got her stock, B&C.

Nowadays CZ USA installs the traditional 2 visible crossbolts on their safari rifle.
They were losing money replacing stocks.

Yes you need extra crossbolts if you only have one on your walnut or laminate stock.
It would be best to get the B&C stock like Bobbarrella wears.
That has a full-metal endoskeleton.
No barrel recoil lug needed, nor desirable.
Just glass bed the remnants of a CZ barrel lug into the recess in the forearm of the B&C stock,
if you have a factory barrel.
They are good barrels of .459" groove diameter, 1:14" twist, in .458 WinMag.
Chimera WinCZechster did all her excellent shooting with one of those,
early on in this thread: 500-grain TSX at 2250 fps MV and 0.19-MOA for 3 shots,
and even went up to about 2340 fps MV with no pressure signs, at 3.780" COL!

I would have left the original barrel on Bobbarrella if I had not already ruined it by re-chambering it to .458 Lott.
Never again will I ruin a CZ .458 Win.Mag. by re-chambering it to .458 Lott.
tu2
Rip ...

Well to decide a B&C or crossbolts, My lux stock has reall pretty wood

Pavementends1:

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just an added note on WW748:

Long ago I was disappointed with its results in a Rem 700 Classic in 350 Rem Mag.

After about 1 and 1/2 years of using the CZ550 in .458, I tried six powders for comparison on the same day firing the 500gr Hornady RNSP. All other components the same -- Win brass and WLRM primers. All at SAAMI COL of 3.34". The powders were fired in this sequence: WW748, H335, AA-2460, IMR 4320, Varget and IMR 4064.

WW748 gave the poorest results of only 2066 fps (instrumental). The next slowest was IMR 4064 at 2094 fps (corrected to muzzle would have been over 2100). Then Varget at 2144 fps, IMR 4320 at 2151, H335 at 2190 fps and AA-2460 at 2192 fps. Add 13 fps to those for correction to MV. No load revealed excessive PSI.

Again, all of that at 3.34" SAAMI COL, not LongCOL. That was a twofold test: 1) To find out what the rifle would do at SAAMI using loads considered "normal", and 2) for comparison purposes. AA-2460 had 2-grains more powder than H335.

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

"Let every created thing give praise to the LORD, for he issued his command, and they came into being" - King David, Psalm 148 (NLT)

Posts: 847 | Location: Kawartha Lakes, ONT, Canada | Registered: 21 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
Rip,
Just for the Mission; I gathered up my old Whitworth, 485 FN Cast bullets over 51 grains of 2015 and my doe tag and ventured out on Public Land hunting Saturday. Just at daylight, Doe and two big fawns came right at me trotting and hopping over the dead fall. Doe went right by me, second fawn spooked by me as I raised the rifle, third fawn took two jumps back down trail and paused to look back, slightly quartering away. Put one in high behind the shoulder and exited the off side shoulder. Very dead right there. Field dressed, loaded in my Jett sled and towed him on back to the old 4x4. Hung one night to cool and is now in the freezer. Had for dinner last night.
Just for the mission.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well, now to decide on a B&C or crossbolts ... My Lux stock has real pretty wood ...

Pavementends1:

Bro',
You ought to do both, first one and then the other.
Slap a B&C on her for everyday use while the gunsmith is reinforcing the pretty walnut.
A drop-in fit of the B&C usually gives good accuracy with a factory CZ 550 Magnum.
Simple glass bedding of the primary recoil lug is about all you can do to the B&C to possibly improve accuracy.
Save the walnut for Sunday-go-to-meeting use.
Can I hear an "amen?"
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .458 Only:

After about 1 and 1/2 years of using the CZ550 in .458
Factory 25" Barrel Length
I tried six powders for comparison on the same day firing the 500gr Hornady RNSP.
All other components the same -- Win brass and WLRM primers.
All at SAAMI COL of 3.34".
The powders were fired in this sequence: WW748, H335, AA-2460, IMR 4320, Varget and IMR 4064.

WW748 gave the poorest results of only 2066 fps (instrumental).
The next slowest was IMR 4064 at 2094 fps (corrected to muzzle would have been over 2100).
Then Varget at 2144 fps,
IMR 4320 at 2151,
H335 at 2190 fps, and
AA-2460 at 2192 fps.
Add 13 fps to those for correction to MV.
No load revealed excessive PSI.

Again, all of that at 3.34" SAAMI COL, not LongCOL.
That was a twofold test:
1) To find out what the rifle would do at SAAMI using loads considered "normal", and
2) for comparison purposes.
AA-2460 had 2-grains more powder than H335.

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

Great reference material for THE MISSION, thanks to Bob.
The only other detail that might add to the immense value of that is what was the ambient temperature for the testing?
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fury01:
... I gathered up my old Whitworth, 485 FN Cast bullets over 51 grains of 2015 and my doe tag ... and ... dinner last night.
Just for the mission.

Meat! Good meat! Tastes good and good for you.
Fury01,
I do recall your super-duper cast bullet loads.
I had to "deek-arse" with powder-coat paint to get my cast 487-grain boolits nicely accurate at about 1400 fps with a light load of AA-5744.
I'll do all my local deer hunting with that .458 WIN load in the future.
Yes, for THE MISSION.
beer
Rip ...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been searching the news for any blown up 458 Lotts or unexplained explosions Big Grin

Posts: 7046 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 14 September 2015Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Well, now to decide on a B&C or crossbolts ... My Lux stock has real pretty wood ...

Pavementends1:

Bro',
You ought to do both, first one and then the other.
Slap a B&C on her for everyday use while the gunsmith is reinforcing the pretty walnut.
A drop-in fit of the B&C usually gives good accuracy with a factory CZ 550 Magnum.
Simple glass bedding of the primary recoil lug is about all you can do to the B&C to possibly improve accuracy.
Save the walnut for Sunday-go-to-meeting use.
Can I hear an "amen?"
tu2
Rip ...

Amen! Any reccomendation on a gunsmith? We are lacking in this area.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike McGuire:
I have been searching the news for any blown up 458 Lotts or unexplained explosions Big Grin

yuck
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
pavementends1,

I have been trying to swear off of gunsmiths for over 30 years. I am prone to backsliding.
I do not recommend any now except my local one to myself, so as not to become an "enabler."
He has learned how to do crossbolts, pillars, glass bedding, and even long-axial wrist bolts, if the ones he did for me are any indication.

He is our very own member here "roughone."
You can contact him by PM (private message) here at this site if you wish and see if he will accept "internet business."
You might as well learn to do that (private messaging), comes with your account here.

I do business with him face to face.
Man is he ever ugly, and he thinks the same of me.
He is a legal immigrant from Texas, came here in his youth, no fault of his own.
He could blame his parents for bringing him here, if he wanted to dwell on it.

Both sides of my family arrived in Kentucky in 1790, when it was still part of Virginia.
If it wasn't for the Cherokee in my woodpile, I might look like that albino banjo player in "Deliverance."
I have no musical talent, cannot play the banjo, nor even carry a tune in a bucket.
But I am well adapted to Kentucky. I have zero seasonal pollen allergies, nor any other kind of allergies to critters and such around here.

Member "roughone" is Rusty McGee, lives and works at Falls of Rough, KY (as in Falls of the Rough River), and he is smarter than he is good looking.
He actually has a Mechanical Engineering degree from UK.
tu2
Rip ...

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by .458 Only:

After about 1 and 1/2 years of using the CZ550 in .458
Factory 25" Barrel Length
I tried six powders for comparison on the same day firing the 500gr Hornady RNSP.
All other components the same -- Win brass and WLRM primers.
All at SAAMI COL of 3.34".
The powders were fired in this sequence: WW748, H335, AA-2460, IMR 4320, Varget and IMR 4064.

WW748 gave the poorest results of only 2066 fps (instrumental).
The next slowest was IMR 4064 at 2094 fps (corrected to muzzle would have been over 2100).
Then Varget at 2144 fps,
IMR 4320 at 2151,
H335 at 2190 fps, and
AA-2460 at 2192 fps.
Add 13 fps to those for correction to MV.
No load revealed excessive PSI.

Again, all of that at 3.34" SAAMI COL, not LongCOL.
That was a twofold test:
1) To find out what the rifle would do at SAAMI using loads considered "normal", and
2) for comparison purposes.
AA-2460 had 2-grains more powder than H335.

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

Great reference material for THE MISSION, thanks to Bob.
The only other detail that might add to the immense value of that is what was the ambient temperature for the testing?
tu2
Rip ...

Forgive my ignorance, 458 Only, but I'm wondering what your different powder weights were and how you decided they were 'normal'.

Perhaps because of the long barrel, your W748 exceeds the velocity shown in RIP's Hodgdon table, however, the single 73-grain load shown there is one grain below the starting one in my 1987 Hornady 3rd Edition. Their loads actually went up to 80.6 grains, for a supposed 2150fps, with an even shorter OAL of 3.310"! Is that by any chance where the powder-clumping claims started?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Specific load results for one rifle must always be taken with a grain of saltpeter.
The Lee handloading manual listing below includes all the powders that Bob listed,
and two different loads for Win748 which are not inconsistent, for 500-grainer and 510-grainer:

quote:
Originally posted by sambarman338:
Forgive my ignorance, 458 Only, but I'm wondering what your different powder weights were and how you decided they were 'normal'.

Bob's post is an overview of powders.
I am sure he omitted details so as not to obscure the forest with the trees.
He is always quite helpful with specifics when needed.
Take a gander at the summary tabulation above, excerpt for book review purposes, excellent book:

Perhaps because of the long barrel, your W748 exceeds the velocity shown in RIP's Hodgdon table, however, the single 73-grain load shown there is one grain below the starting one in my 1987 Hornady 3rd Edition. Their loads actually went up to 80.6 grains, for a supposed 2150fps, with an even shorter OAL of 3.310"! Is that by any chance where the powder-clumping claims started?

One load shows 73.0 grains of Win748 as not compressed, which means it might be up to 100%:
500-gr @ 3.310" COL ... 2040 fps @ 45,622 PSI

The other load shows 75.0 grains of Win748 as compressed, over 100%:
510-gr @ 3.340" COL ... 2065 fps @ 47,961 PSI

(No barrel length or primer or brass make specified.)

Assuming 73.0 grains is a 100% fill with Win748 (What other reason for making that a max load? Not due to pressure!) then 80.6 grains would be a 110% load.
If 74.0 grains is 100% fill with Win748, then 80.6 grains would be a 109% load.
Too much compression?
Especially with the stories about clumped ball powder in the .458 WIN defective factory ammo?
MIC conspiracy animal or no, even I have avoided compressing ball powders, and don't do more than 105% with extruded powders.
Sometimes it takes some "deek-arsin'-around" to accomplish that and things like 2800 fps with 350-gr TSX
and 2450 fps with 450-grain TSX in a 25" barrel,
with no indications of pressure:

LongCOL
hBN
Drop Tube
Shilen Barrel
H4198 or AA-2230 powder
and WLRM or F215 primer.

That is the only "deek-arsin'-around" required.

In the CZ barrel with 500-grain TSX at 2340 fps,
no hBN or drop tube is required,
just LongCOL, F215, and AA-2230.
That same 500-grain TSX from the 24-7/8"-long CZ barrel delivers bughole accuracy with 78.0 grains of AA-2230, 2250 fps MV, and 3.780" COL.
That is no "deek-arsin'-around" at all.
Anyone who says it is, well, he is "deekless."

BTW, there is no such thing as the Internet Handloading Police, I was just kidding about the IHP.
Not so the MIC (Munitions Industrial Complex).
The MIC Conspiracy to Deny the .458 Winchester Magnum is real!
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Gotta present the SIGHTRON side of things to go with the previous Burris and Leupold spreads.
This is from the 2014 catalog.
Front cover:

Back cover:

one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post
Could ExacTrack be the reason I had such good luck with a Sightron 4-16x40mm on a .500A2?

I have the SIII 1-7x24mm Illuminated 4A, of 2014 vintage.
It might require a muzzle brake to preserve the electronics.
It could be the backup/dim-light scope with any other Nikon, Leupold, or Sightron scope in matching rings.
Switch scopes and switch thread protector for brake.
I just do not trust any electronics on full kick!

one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post