THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    404 Jeffery History Thread
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

404 Jeffery History Thread Login/Join

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
Rip

Maybe this is what you are looking for?

quote:
J Wisner
one of us

Posted 04 March 2008 02:40 Hide Post
Allen.

The one 404 Obendorf that I had in the shop years ago was as follows.

ID rear width, 1.010
ID front width, .950, raduis in front aprox .200 dia
ID length inside, 3.650

I hope this helps.

quote:

I believe these two were listed as from Alf's Original 404 Jeffery

the first was in metric:
Width Rear 25.8 mm
Width Front 23.8 mm

My conversion to inches if correct:
Width Rear 1.02"
Width Front 0.94"

An additional one in inches listed as Alf's Original 404 Jeffery:

Rear 1.016"
Front 0.937"

And one listed as from urdubob (said to be from an Original M98 Jeffery)

Width Front 0.885
Width Rear 0.946

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jason,
Thanks for doing that work.
That is a very important piece of 404 Jeffery History.
Perfect boxes.
J. Wisner and Alf are trustworthy in their measurements and reporting.
"Oberndorf" and or Jeffery original Mausers in 404 Jeffery with perfect boxes. thumb
Some tolerance is allowed since calculated value is based on maximum cartridge spec, while real life cartridges are often smaller, - .004" is pretty routine.
And up to about + 0.010" of slop is good.
Length and front width are of less concern, and easily perfected, if only the adequate rear box width is possible.

As for urdubob: He got screwed.
************************************************************************************************************************************************
Originally posted by JBrown:

"Maybe this is what you are looking for?"
************************************************************************************************************************************************
J Wisner
Posted 04 March 2008

The one 404 Obendorf that I had in the shop years ago was as follows.

ID rear width, 1.010 IDEAL: 1.01307"
ID front width, .950, raduis in front aprox .200 dia
ID length inside, 3.650
I believe these two were listed as from Alf's Original 404 Jeffery

the first was in metric:
Width Rear 25.8 mm = 1.0157" IDEAL: 1.01307"
Width Front 23.8 mm = 0.93701"

An additional one in inches listed as Alf's Original 404 Jeffery:

Rear 1.016"
Front 0.937"
(same as above by Alf)

And one listed as from urdubob (said to be from an Original M98 Jeffery)

Width Front 0.885
Width Rear 0.946
Too narrow even for a .375 H&H!

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No .416 Rigby, nor .505 Gibbs, nor 500 Jeffery with a "perfect box?"
404 JEFFERY PERFECTION! Cool

One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
My Gibbs box is 1.02" wide at the rear.
The 280 Ross case (as measured with a comparator with a DRO) is .528" at the base and a .5535" rim.

Posts: 3239 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Huvius,
Well, what do you call it, the 280 Ross, rimmed or "semi-rimmed?"
Do you stack them with each succeeding (upper one) "semi-rim" ahead of the last (lower one) in the magazine box?

Using your rim diameter the box required is 1.0328" at the rear, add some slop for actual brass used to measure, not max spec.
If you stack them one ahead of the last, the diameter used would be the average of the rim and the head, or 0.54075" x 1.86603 = 1.0091",
so your box is perfect for a rimmed small bore,
disqualified from consideration.

If all others are ashamed to admit their classics from the masters use boxes that are too skinny inside,
and get by by deepening them and tickling the feed ramps, followers and feed rails until it works OK,
well I am not ashamed to admit it.
There is no perfection out there for anything bigger than the 404 Jeffery head size in a DGR.
But we get by, eh?

Some of my personal collection of "make-do" boxes:

Dakota M76 African for .416 Rigby: 0.975" inside box rear width

SIG Arms "Mauser Banner" M98 Magnum Mauser for 450 Dakota: 0.995"
Close enough to 1.000" like a pre-64 M70 in .375 H&H, that I guess it would be best on a .375 H&H,
and would hold 6 down in .375 H&H instead of only 4 down in 450 Dakota.
Is this the same box used for their .416 Rigby and 500 Jeffery too?
Ah, well, it is built like a bank vault (integral thick-walled Mauser box) with drop belly stock and coffin floor plate too, and it works.

Ruger M77 RSM Generation II in .416 Rigby: 1.025"
Close, but no cigar.

The Duane Wiebe Bank Vault Box for the 500 Jeffery is 1.020" inside width at the rear of the box, and holds 3 down.
Massive box front wall thickness, will never get a dent from a bullet nose.
Add the coffin floor plate and it holds 4 down.
If it works for 500 Jeffery, it will work even better for the 49-bore/.500-caliber/.338 Lapua Magnum Improved of 2010.
Sometimes we just have to make do. Wink

Review of ideals:

Some ideal box widths at the rear according to CIP maximums:

.375 H&H rim diameter of .5318" and belt diameter of .5339" maximum: box width at rear = 1.86603 x 0.5339" = 0.99627"
This is more than enough, since manufactured brass is always smaller than the CIP max.

404 Jeffery head diameter of .5429" maximum: box width at rear = 1.86603 x 0.5429" = 1.01307"

.416 Rigby rim diameter of .5902" maximum: box width at rear = 1.1013309"

500 Jeffery head diameter (rebated rim abomination, rim diameter 0.5751968") head diameter of .6188976" maximun:
box width at rear: 1.86603 x .6188976 = 1.1548814"

.505 Gibbs rim diameter of .6401574" maximum: box width at rear = 1.1945529"

Forget about adding slop unless using the "rubber band method" to measure.

Using the max spec brass diameter will build in enough slop since the manufactured brass diameters are smaller than max spec anyway.

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
Moving onto cartridge performance for the .404. What have been users experiences with the various factory loads, historical and modern in the .404?

Early Kynoch
Late Kynoch
Parker Hale (Norma loaded)
DWM
Early RWS
Modern RWS
Hornady
Cor-bon

We hear of early Kynoch bullets not so good, RWS loads a bit erratic in velocity, etc, etc.

Anyone got the good oil on any of these?

Posts: 3856 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
If I had a chronograph I could tell you since I do have some original Kynoch and RWS.

I am beginning to think that RIP is telling me that I should rebarrel my .280 to 404 since it is about perfect for that cartridge!
Honestly, after shooting my Evans for the first time this last weekend, I fully agree that the 404 is an excellent choice as far as a reliable, versatile and manageable big bore.
What a nice shooting rifle! I really do need a chrony...
Now I am really pondering the future of my 280... bewildered

Posts: 3239 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Huvius:
If I had a chronograph I could tell you since I do have some original Kynoch and RWS.

If we are to except a sample of one as statistically significant then I have statistically significent statistics. Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

When i built mine I had RWS and Kynoch loads that I put over the chrono to use as a base for my expectations with my handloads.
25in barrel 1 - 14 twist.
RWS 2315 fps
Kynoch 2195 fps
So my handloads run a 400gn Woodleigh soft and RWS 400gn solid to 2335fps.

Von Gruff.

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2684 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ryan Breeding used a rear box inside width of 1.09" on CHIPB's .505 Gibbs.

Ideal: .505 Gibbs rim diameter of .6401574" maximum: box width at rear = 1.1945529"

one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know the specs on a Harold Wolfe box on his 98 Mausers, but I do know they work and are the same as the specs on the original Jefferys by Jefferys, which really only makes since to me, as they invented the whole shebang from scratch..

The best 404s I have built or owned were built on the big ole expensive Mauser mod. 20 double square bridge action or the french knockoff..

But my latest 404 from a rebored Rem mod 30-S with a magazine cut and welded up by Dennis Olson sure does feed 110%..and it has the first rebore I have ever used and its cut rifled and smooth as a babies butt under a scope and it shoots better every time I put an additional 20 to 40 rounds through it, hope it stops a .404, but thats reaching a bit, right now I am satisfied with 1.2 inches at 75 yards and since thats the size of a buffalo's eye, it's perfect! BOOM

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ganyana:

Biggest problem with many of the .505's on the market today is they are built with a magazine box that is too thin (the makers try and use the .416 rigby magazine box. One for the Gibbs should be .15" wider) This can cause the cartridges to pop out of the magazine at awkward moments and is particularly severe with nickeled cases like the Norma PH (which uses the 600grn woodleighs at 2100fps).

Thanks, Ganyana.
I have yet to find a .505 Gibbs with a proper box.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Review of ideals:

Some ideal box widths at the rear according to CIP maximums:

.375 H&H rim diameter of .5318" and belt diameter of .5339" maximum: box width at rear = 1.86603 x 0.5339" = 0.99627"
This is more than enough, since manufactured brass is always smaller than the CIP max.

404 Jeffery head diameter of .5429" maximum: box width at rear = 1.86603 x 0.5429" = 1.01307"

.416 Rigby rim diameter of .5902" maximum: box width at rear = 1.1013309"

500 Jeffery head diameter (rebated rim abomination, rim diameter 0.5751968") head diameter of .6188976" maximun:
box width at rear: 1.86603 x .6188976 = 1.1548814"

.505 Gibbs rim diameter of .6401574" maximum: box width at rear = 1.1945529"

Forget about adding slop unless using the "rubber band method" to measure.

Using the max spec brass diameter will build in enough slop since the manufactured brass diameters are smaller than max spec anyway.

Telephone conversation with Tom Burgess before he departed this vale of tears,
quote:
"Oh, yes, you need to always add .015" to the width; that is if you want it to feed right".

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for that L/D.
Was Tom Burgess using the rubber band and actual measurement of the under-max-spec brass,
or was he using the max spec and tigonometry method?

Ron The Unforgiven

one of us
posted Hide Post
He calculated first, then measured and calculated a second time. For cartridges of 375 H&H/416 REM MAG and below he added .015". He made a couple 505s during his life. He said that he added .020" to .030" for them.

He also commented about people who wanted to load a cartridge into a Mauser 98 magazine where the correct width was equal to, or wider than the present magazine box (1909s in particular are skinny). Tom said he told a few people to go to church and take it (the argument) up with God since God had made the rules. The Jesuits got their hooks into him pretty deeply.

He felt that having things slightly wide made for a happier, and more still magazine. To paraphrase: If you get it too skinny at all, you ARE going to have cartridges popping up and crossing over each other.

I believe he had the equipment to make magazine boxes at one time; IIRC, he sold that machinery to D'Arcy Echols. If so, that would explain why an Echols' rifle feeds so well.

As regards feeding, he told me to preserve the original angles; making the ramp concave in profile would ruin the action (ba da boom, ba da bing).

His only advice on working the rails was, "Go slow, ha, ha, ha."

Oh yeah, he said that it was not a bad idea to fire four rounds singly, and use those as dummy rounds for measuring and calculating. He was a proponent (when I asked) of getting 200 cases of the same brand and lot and being done with it.

One last bon mot: "having a slightly generous chamber is not the biggest sin (that) I worry about (in my life)."

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Depending on how undersized your batch of brass is, you could do the theoretical calculations and already have your .015" built in.

one of us
posted Hide Post
What is most amazing to me is how little most folks know about handloading the 404 Jefferys..The fact is the ONLY powder IMO is IMR-4831, it fills the case half way up the neck with 95 grs and the velocity is plumb awesome and no other powder will come close. I have used 95 grs. as my max load and I got that load from an article written by Hopkins the PH from Africa as I recall..Having shot about every load available in my many 404s, I was truly amazed at IMR-4831, and the critisism that I got from those who obviously had never even tried it and that was obvious by their remarks that did not hold water...

Give yourself a break and try it..Jim Brockman said my 95 gr. loads was very accurate as did Mike Brady at North Fork who tested it, but like Jim said it tended to hurt him to shoot it..I told him later that I knew that so I use either a 90 or 93 gr. load, for a tad over 2400 with the later, and a tad under with the 90.....

40 or so years ago I bought my first 404 Jefferys a 27 inch barreled original Jefferys, owned two of those over the years, made the rest for myself, sold them and always made myself another..I just can't seem to get by without one around the house..A great caliber.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
RIP,
You don't shoot a 4 shot group and then only count 3 of the shots, thats not cricket my man! shame

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
RIP,
You don't shoot a 4 shot group and then only count 3 of the shots, thats not cricket my man! shame

Ray: You are just jealous. Fouling shots from a clean barrel do not count.

"Shot number one was the fouling shot from a clean barrel, then it settled down."

one of us
posted Hide Post
BTW,
Speaking of improper magazine boxes,
here is a way to get 4 down in the box of a Winchester M70 in 404 Jeffery:

Use the RUM box and add the Sunny Hill drop floor plate for the extra round, with the McMillan stock made to fit that bottom metal.
Mine is for the 49-10 (.500/.338 Lapua Mag) and only holds 3 down for that, and feeds fine.

It would be "less imperfect" if used for a 404 Jeffery 5-shooter.
I have verified this.

one of us
posted Hide Post
This might be a good time to jump into this thread. In regards to WORDS OF WISDOM from Burgess and magazine dimensions I can say without any doubt that arbitrarily adding +.015 or more to your width calculations is not what Tom ever told me. My statement is not made to kick sand in anyones face that may have posted before me. Tom's typical lectors can only be described as enigmas wrapped in controlled chaos.

Having spent many hundreds of agonizing hours on the phone with Tom or in his presence I can see why what Tom was addressing at any giving time could get a bit confusing. I have file folders filled with many, many hand written letters from Tom going back to 1980. Some I have never been able to completely decipher. When he typed a letter to you it was to make you very clear his ideas and thoughts. When he went to e-mail the cat was out of the bag and the readers learning curve went up if they paid attention.

In short Tom used the equilateral triangle method for Sakos, 98's, Mod-70's, Zkk's etc for the 222 Rem up to the 404 Jeffery diameter cases. The limiting factor at this point is the width of the actions underside. With an approximate rear ID Mag box width of 1.013 as an example for the 404 Jeffery the action side walls at the areas just above the rear end of the magazine starts getting pretty thin if your fitting a sheet steel Magazine box machined into the the recess of say a Mod-70.

When you get into the Rigby diameter cases and larger the rule that Tom used was to make a Rigby ID Box width about 1.032 or wider if he had to clean up the feed well in a wallowed out Mag Mauser or Brno. He would then duplicated the taper from the base of the case to the shoulder of the case. If the combined taper was .020 then he duplicated this taper forward on the INDIDE OF THE MAGAZINE BOX and the re-cut the feed well of the action to match the magazine box geometry. The few Gibbs he did ran about 1.060 for ID at the rear and the ran forward with the Gibbs case taper. I used this same specs for the 2 Gibbs I did recently. The followers were made accordingly to match the boxes. The larger the case diameter makes the LAW OF THE EQUILATERAL EQUATION become more problematic when you get into cases such as the Gibbs or 500 Jeffery. If you make the magazine as wide as you determine with your rubber bands or tape the position of the bullet nose is now placed further to the right and left of the centerline of the action, further from the bullet ramp and radically increases the angle of approach that the round now has to make as it clears and releases itself from under the rails, into the bolt face and up under the extractor. While this may seem minor I can assure you that the pin in now out of the grenade. I believe reference to the extra width was in fact made in error which I can sympathies with completely. I often thought the Navaho Code Talkers would even be befuddled in a conversation with Burgess.

However I do have have many of Toms written instructions on this subject and have used these instructions for 25 years. Many have said that he followed the "Mauser Formula" exactly but a close examination of his specs for the 375, 404 and the 416 Rigby etc will prove that they are not at all the same. Tom developed his own specs and followed them accordingly. I have stocked a lot of Burgess's barreled actions over the years and I have put the calipers to everyone of them and they all follow the same principal. I own a Magnum Mauser in my shop right now that was a 350 Rigby when it left London long before I was born. It made the rounds around the gun show circuit and eventually made its way to Tom's to be turned into a 416 Rigby. As a complete barreled action it is fit with one of his Magazines & followers, holds 4 down, 1 up and works flawlessly. The box is made as I described above, to a T.

There are many ways to get the same results. All are a variation on the same basic theme. Ralf Martini, Stephen Heilmann, Duane Weibe, Mark Penrod H&W, H&H, Max Ern, Prectl (you get the idea) may approach this procedure using different specs, widths and geometry . The bottom line is the end result, not how it got to there.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RIP:
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
RIP,

Ray: You are just jealous. Fouling shots from a clean barrel do not count.

"Shot number one was the fouling shot from a clean barrel, then it settled down."

I'm jealous too! In all seriousness, are you willing to sell that rifle?

Posts: 584 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: 13 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
7MMNut,
Thanks, but only from my cold dead fingers. Wink

D'Arcy,
Art and science, eh?
Thanks.
thumb
quote:
Originally posted by DArcy_Echols_Co:
This might be a good time to jump into this thread. In regards to WORDS OF WISDOM from Burgess and magazine dimensions I can say without any doubt that arbitrarily adding +.015 or more to your width calculations is not what Tom ever told me. My statement is not made to kick sand in anyones face that may have posted before me. Tom's typical lectors can only be described as enigmas wrapped in controlled chaos.

Having spent many hundreds of agonizing hours on the phone with Tom or in his presence I can see why what Tom was addressing at any giving time could get a bit confusing. I have file folders filled with many, many hand written letters from Tom going back to 1980. Some I have never been able to completely decipher. When he typed a letter to you it was to make you very clear his ideas and thoughts. When he went to e-mail the cat was out of the bag and the readers learning curve went up if they paid attention.

In short Tom used the equilateral triangle method for Sakos, 98's, Mod-70's, Zkk's etc for the 222 Rem up to the 404 Jeffery diameter cases. The limiting factor at this point is the width of the actions underside. With an approximate rear ID Mag box width of 1.013 as an example for the 404 Jeffery the action side walls at the areas just above the rear end of the magazine starts getting pretty thin if your fitting a sheet steel Magazine box machined into the the recess of say a Mod-70.

When you get into the Rigby diameter cases and larger the rule that Tom used was to make a Rigby ID Box width about 1.032 or wider if he had to clean up the feed well in a wallowed out Mag Mauser or Brno. He would then duplicated the taper from the base of the case to the shoulder of the case. If the combined taper was .020 then he duplicated this taper forward on the INDIDE OF THE MAGAZINE BOX and the re-cut the feed well of the action to match the magazine box geometry. The few Gibbs he did ran about 1.060 for ID at the rear and the ran forward with the Gibbs case taper. I used this same specs for the 2 Gibbs I did recently. The followers were made accordingly to match the boxes. The larger the case diameter makes the LAW OF THE EQUILATERAL EQUATION become more problematic when you get into cases such as the Gibbs or 500 Jeffery. If you make the magazine as wide as you determine with your rubber bands or tape the position of the bullet nose is now placed further to the right and left of the centerline of the action, further from the bullet ramp and radically increases the angle of approach that the round now has to make as it clears and releases itself from under the rails, into the bolt face and up under the extractor. While this may seem minor I can assure you that the pin in now out of the grenade. I believe reference to the extra width was in fact made in error which I can sympathies with completely. I often thought the Navaho Code Talkers would even be befuddled in a conversation with Burgess.

However I do have have many of Toms written instructions on this subject and have used these instructions for 25 years. Many have said that he followed the "Mauser Formula" exactly but a close examination of his specs for the 375, 404 and the 416 Rigby etc will prove that they are not at all the same. Tom developed his own specs and followed them accordingly. I have stocked a lot of Burgess's barreled actions over the years and I have put the calipers to everyone of them and they all follow the same principal. I own a Magnum Mauser in my shop right now that was a 350 Rigby when it left London long before I was born. It made the rounds around the gun show circuit and eventually made its way to Tom's to be turned into a 416 Rigby. As a complete barreled action it is fit with one of his Magazines & followers, holds 4 down, 1 up and works flawlessly. The box is made as I described above, to a T.

There are many ways to get the same results. All are a variation on the same basic theme. Ralf Martini, Stephen Heilmann, Duane Weibe, Mark Penrod H&W, H&H, Max Ern, Prectl (you get the idea) may approach this procedure using different specs, widths and geometry . The bottom line is the end result, not how it got to there.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RIP:
7MMNut,
Thanks, but only from my cold dead fingers. Wink

Can't blame a guy for trying. Did you build that from a M70 originally chambered in a RUM caliber? I've been trying unsuccesfully for months to find one to convert.

Posts: 584 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: 13 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
7MMNut,
Yes, that 404 Jeffery started as a 300 RUM Winchester M70.
I have done the same for .416 Dakota, and 49-10.
The RUM box works well as is for the 404 Jeffery,
no other mods needed.
It is a bit short for the .416 Dakota (only because some .416 bullets are made with too-long nose), and too shallow for the 49-10.
Just right for the 404 Jeffery and all bullets for it that I have encountered.

As we have seen, all the finest have their tricks for fitting the fatter-than-404-Jeffery cartridges into too-skinny boxes.
The CZ 550 magnum box is perfect for a 404 Jeffery, with no windowing, vertical tapering nor other tricks required.
Though it is more than long enough at 3.8" instead of 3.6". No problem.

The slightly skinny M70 box is made right for the 404 Jeffery by the windowing that allows the shoulder area of the cartridge relief from crowding inside the longitudinally tapering box.
It works for 3 down in a standard depth box and stock.
It even works for the 49-10 aka 12.7x68mm aka .500/.338LM, with addition of the Sunny Hill drop floor plate and new stock to fit.

Yes the 300 RUM M70s are scarce, but a long magnum action M70 (375 H&H, .416 Remington), will do:

Here is a box at Brownells, advertised for Winchester M70 404 Jeffery an RUM rifles:

Extra Length For Ultra Mag & .404-Based Cartridges

Precision stamped, stainless steel magazine box has .110" additional length to provide the required clearance for extra long rounds. Extended box and Long Window box have plenty of room for the popular .300 and .338 Ultra Mag and other calibers based on the .404 Jeffery case.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx...XTENDED-MAGAZINE-BOX

There is a thin aluminum alloy follower there too, and a flat magazine spring that can be fitted to it.

That box has up to 3.8" (Rigby) length, like a CZ 550 Magnum box.
There is plenty of room for reinforcing/blocking plates inside or outside of the box front and back,
without opening up the M70 long action length any longer than it is.
No weakening of action.

All of the work to fit this to an M70 long action would be minor.
Any work on the rails or feed ramp would be minor also, for any decent gunsmith can make a 404 Jeffery feed like greased lightning.

Parts numbers at Brownells:

100-000-568 M-70 Extended Magazine Box $42.50
634-000-022 Follower, Post-64 LA $26.99
080-665-098 10% X/P 98 Mauser Magazine Spring $26.99 (better spring, I can make it fit myself if not a drop-in)

Hmmm ... maybe I could do a .375/404 Saeed on an M70 Winchester? Sure beats an M76 Dakota.
I'll try it and see what problems I run into, short of calling D'Arcy Echols to fix it.
Please see the .375 RUM feeding demonstration thread by Enigma. Wink

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Thanks for the clarification D'Arcy. Tom may have been having a little fun with me with the E-mail in question. A little vacuuming and ointment; my eyes are now sand free and clear of vision.

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
What a great thread here. Thanks a stack for some really interesting discussion.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
However I do have have many of Toms written instructions on this subject and have used these instructions for 25 years. Many have said that he followed the "Mauser Formula" exactly but a close examination of his specs for the 375, 404 and the 416 Rigby etc will prove that they are not at all the same. Tom developed his own specs and followed them accordingly.

No need to be coy.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yessir, there is always more than one way to skin a cat..but some will have gilflurting contusion if you do...

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
Back to the historical aspect of the 404 here is a Nitro Express forum link to a 1905 404 Jeffery

http://forums.nitroexpress.com...age=0&gonew=1#UNREAD

Von Gruff.

Posts: 2684 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Great rifle!
Of Interest was
1. The date of 1905 manufacture. Early produced rifle.
2. The weight of 8.5 lbs and the weight reduction to get there
Questions...
1. Twist?
2. What are the accurate bore and groove diameters. Slugging would be good.
3. A chamber cast would be great to check original dimensions. What are the chamber specs?

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27596 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some more info on the 404J, and it's history:

http://forums.accuratereloadin...381092921#7381092921

And this one will be with me in the next 3-4 weeks Smiler

One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
So, almost exactly 2 years from when it was on offer till you have it Esskay. Hope you get to blood it in much less time than that.
tu2

Von Gruff.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
VG,

Yes, took a while...I was also slow in terms of getting the paperwork one etc etc..however finally.

Thanks much

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Well done Saeed. Congratulations! I did not know that 404 J ammo was available in India, but then you get anything now as long as you pay for it!

Good luck my friend.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11006 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
I recently picked up a 1905 Jeffery 404 and from the photos you can see that they used a standard M-98 and ground off the sides of the magazine box so that the wood formed the sides of the box. then they inletted a steel plate int the front of the box to protect it.
the rifle weighs under 8 /12 pounds and is a lot slimmer and livelier than the 416 Rigby built on a magnum Mauser that came out six years later.

Even with no cross bolts nor extra recoil lugs the stock remains solid after over 100 years.

I also just received a copy of this poem that my friend Lon Paul recently found

Grandpaw’s Jeffery

It rested between the Ivory
That hung on Grandpa's wall
It's finally checked and yellowed
Like the tusks it helped to fall

It's barrel smooth and polished
From a hundred bearers hands
It reflected the light warmly
Like campfires flickering brands

The stock of English walnut
Chewed and clawed a bit
It still showed a trace of checkering
an a dent where a horn had hit

Stamped on the barrel lightly
Was a name and not much more
A single word "Jeffery"
"Jeffery .404"

If that rifle could only talk
And take us back once again
With grandpa in Africa
A time of Buffalo,Elephants and men

But that day has set it's sun
And the rifle speaks no more
Oh what I'd give for one last time
To hear it's mighty roar

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4197 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nakihunter:
Well done Saeed. Congratulations! I did not know that 404 J ammo was available in India, but then you get anything now as long as you pay for it!

Good luck my friend.

Thanks Ashok. The rifle comes with a bunch of ammo, including some 300 grn. loads. All Kynoch..so hopefully they will still fire Smiler

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Very cool, Phil.

A single word "Jeffery"
"Jeffery .404"

I have never seen a more elegant duct taped and baling wired solution! Cool

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13389 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
quote:

Grandpaw’s Jeffery

It rested between the Ivory
That hung on Grandpa's wall
It's finally checked and yellowed
Like the tusks it helped to fall

It's barrel smooth and polished
From a hundred bearers hands
It reflected the light warmly
Like campfires flickering brands

The stock of English walnut
Chewed and clawed a bit
It still showed a trace of checkering
an a dent where a horn had hit

A single word "Jeffery"
"Jeffery .404"

If that rifle could only talk
And take us back once again
With grandpa in Africa
A time of Buffalo,Elephants and men

But that day has set it's sun
And the rifle speaks no more
Oh what I'd give for one last time
To hear it's mighty roar

The wording of the poem is close, but not exact. The title is Jeffery 404 on it is on page 39 of "Where Elephants Go to Die" by Rege Podraza and was available through www.hunterstrax.com when I bought my copy.

It ends,

"Oh what I'd give for one last time
To hear that baby roar

Grandpa's Jeffery
His Jeffery 404"

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Phil,
Your post is a great addition to the thread.
Thank you very much.
That is also the Mother of All Windowed Magazine Boxes. Picture windows on that one!
Now we know how to expand our magazine capacity in the CZ Kevlar stock. clap

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote