THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    Terminal Bullet Performance
Page 1 ... 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 ... 304

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Terminal Bullet Performance Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by michael458:
quote:
Originally posted by Texas Killartist:
Doc M, Again, you have plainly demonstrated that life is real and NOT necessarily scientific and certainly not theoretical. 'Some 'people think / believe that science is always required and/ or the answer.
Ask a honest (non global warming whore) scientist to 'Scientifically ' or in 'scientific terms '
to explain how a bumble bee can fly. There will NOT be a 'Scientific ' answer or any answer for that matter, but I swear AND will testify under oath that I have seen a bumble bee fly --- more than once.
We have unfortunately never met. I want to let you know how much I appreciate, respect and enjoy all the work you do and have done. Thank you .

TX...........

I have seen your support..... Thanks so much, very appreciated. As many know we have been in some of the same old "Discussions" as we were involved in over 5 plus years ago. Same, nothing changes from the "Other" side. One can go back and see the same Bull Shit from years ago, right up until the last week or even the last few days. We did not falter in our course of action, but remained resolute in our goals. We did not listen nor pay any attention to the BS, and stayed our course. We took what was required and factual from those same people, what little there was, and used that in addition to far more to get to this point.

The test medium has been attacked over and over again, yet, the results we see in the field, behavior of all the bullets tested here, are the same in the field, as the test work done. What works in the test medium, what is successful in the test medium, is also successful in the field, on real animal tissue. I have said this a 1000 times that no test medium duplicates exactly animal tissue, and one cannot test in animal tissue as there is no consistency, and one cannot compare exact results. The test medium I use, no big secret, wet print. This test medium is boosted a bit by my insertion of layers of magazines/catalogs, I get stacks of these things in the mail every week. Instead of tossing 100s of #s of this per year, decided some years ago to put it to use. I try to be as consistent as possible with it, 1.5-2 inches of mag/cat inserted, and 6 inches or so of news print. By accident, I found that this mix was far more dense, and tougher on bullets than just wet newsprint alone. Very simply by depth of penetration, and more stress put on the bullet.......

When I built my indoor range, I had a drain installed at the rear of the range. Any test medium absolutely has to be aqueous to get proper comparisons. Animal tissue is not made of "dry material", so what would be the point of testing in any dry material? Animals are not made of "Steel", so what would be the purpose of testing steel plate penetration, since most animals I have hunted seem to have no "armor" plating, I see where that has no value. It was always my intention to put stress on the bullets, but "reasonable" stress. I never believed that ballistic gel put enough stress on the bullets, and still believe that today. If I can detect a failure of something, I want as much reasonable stress on the bullet as possible, I rather discover that failure here, than in the field. Failures in the field are not good! Failures in the field, very best scenario, cost $$..... Failures in the field can cost lost and suffering animals! Worst case, failures in the field when hunting dangerous game can cost lives. Should it not be our goal to discover problems or issues on the test range before we go to the field? If we find a bullet that consistently performs as we desire it to, and it consistently out performs other similar bullets designed for the task at hand, regardless of what that task is, does it not make sense that we would choose the best bullet tested for our related task? Would we choose the poorest performance because of nostalgia, or other reasons? I have been involved in many areas of shooting since I was a kid, more than 30 years ago.... I learned a long time ago that one does not learn from the individual that comes in dead last, but one learns from the front runners. This same analogy can be applied to many areas of life as well, business for instance, one does not try and pattern your business from the competition that is dead last, or the poorest, but from the very best in that particular business. And once again we refer to literally 100s of bullets dug out of animal flesh, compared to our bullets tested in our test medium, and what we find is that we actually get deeper penetration in all cases in animal tissue, we find that the behavior of a particular bullet, soft, nonconventional, flat nose solid is damn near exactly the same behavior in animal tissue and test medium, taking into account the many variables encountered in the field, such as bones, hitting sticks or trees, or other 100s if not 1000s of variables that can be introduced in the field, that we cannot possibly test for each and every one. Round Nose solids, not created equal, however, we contend that what has 100% consistently failed in the test work, has the potential to fail in the field. One may indeed the vast majority of the time, get enough performance out of a bullet that it can be successful the vast majority of the time. However, I for one, WILL NOT ACCEPT anything that cannot prove itself in the test work. I am just not going to do it period. Now, many of you are free to do as you please, whether for nostalgic reasons, or reasons of your own, and that is fine, it has no effect on what I will do. I wish you the best in your endeavors regardless. My goals may be far different than others.

Scientific? Never claimed any science here, nor is that my goal. I am not looking to be published in any "peer publication"...... This is not my goal. I am a forester by profession, as a forester, then I am very familiar with "Peer Reviewed Publications ", as in many professions there are related publications, medical, wildlife biology, and so forth and so on. What is a shooters "Peer Publication"... Guns and Ammo? Shooting Times? Rifle Magazine, or perhaps Handloader Magazine....... rotflmo Or some other rag tag magazine? I know, African Hunting Gazette, or maybe SCI Magazine? I don't think so to be honest, and not putting down those particular rag magazines by any stretch, while I have never written an article about anything, nor have any desire to, there have been several articles done on various things concerning some of the things I have done here in many of those same magazines, and even more, but I don't consider those anymore than entertainment value at best, most of the time............. In fact, I have a friend that has written several articles and been published in some of those same magazines, and he knows far less about most things than "Joe Dick" on the sidewalk..... I keep telling him it will not make him famous to write about himself.... LOL....................... I continue to tease him all in good nature of course........ And without any doubt whatsoever in my mind, the work done here would never pass any sort of government review or test validations. But, I have nothing to sell the government, nor any Peer Reviewed Publication, nor a book, nor even a damned bullet. Not my goal. Very simply, my goal in ALL OF THIS was to find a better mousetrap, so that I would be more successful in the field, so that I could perhaps avoid failures in the field, avoid costs in $$, costs of lost animals, sleep better at night knowing I was using the best that could possibly be had, and perhaps save the cost of failure in the field from becoming a more serious problem that could cost injury, or worse. In any endeavor in which I embark upon, it is my wish to be successful regardless of what that endeavor is. Silly me, I would think that would be the wish of all hunters or shooters as well..........

Of course I made observations concerning performance. How stupid. What is the point if you do not make observations of what you are doing? Where these observations always understood, and were they always 100% correct? Of course they were not. Many times, I would see performance in the test work here, but not fully understand exactly what I was seeing until I saw what happened in the field in animal tissue. Point of fact, our Non-Conventional bullets. While I saw and observed the behavior of the blades, when I first took them to the field on animal tissue, I began to understand what was actually going on and how those blades worked from the point of shear, to the end of their penetration. Then, coming back to the test work afterwards, it was plain as day to me, and then further tests in the clear ballistic gel from CEB told the story in a visual way that I could never do here............. What I did learn, was that the behavior of the Non-Conventionals was EXACTLY the same in my test medium, ballistic gel, and in animal tissue! Behavior mind you, they worked the same way. Depth of penetration is different in all three mediums, but behavior is EXACTLY the same, the way they work..........

The things we learned about flat nose solids could not be learned any other way.... Some of the factors are large, some not so large. For instance, sharp edge of the meplat as opposed to a radius or smoother edge on the meplat making a difference is a small factor in the end, but none the less, a factor. Nose Projection above the bands actually became a large factor in the depth of penetration, and was the very last factor discovered. Meplat size in my opinion the most important factor really could not be studied any other way with precision. And we did get a fairly precise study on that, from round nose to 50% meplat, and I believe ending in 80%, and seeing behavior of the bullet all the way through the process. Nose profiles, to me the second most important factor, could not have been understood any other way. Twist rate, velocity, construction/materials, could not have been studied any other way, at least not as efficiently.
If there was another way, that was more efficient I did not know of it. But what we did got us to where we are, and this has brought nothing but success in the field.

Has everything been absolutely perfect? Of course not, there have been many variables that had to be addressed. At any time, if something did not appear to be correct, it was retested to find out what the issue was, and that goes beyond terminals to other areas as well. And event today, doing much of the pressure testing I do here, if something does not appear logical, then it gets retested........

Once again, it is only my wish to share what I have done, what I have found works for me, if it works for you, well and good. If not, then sorry, doing the best I can do. In the end, the goal is, and has remained, and will be forever more so that I personally can be more successful in my endeavors in the field. It is my belief that if I am more successful, then the "Potential" for you to be more successful is there and exists as well. Maybe I am wrong, and if so, my apologies, but I will continue to do what I do, and the rest can go their own way if they wish, and that is just dandy with me..... I have nothing to sell you, I have nothing to profit from................ What I have gained from all these endeavors that I put the most value on is the wonderful friendships that have been made during the last several years with a hell of a lot of great guys, good shooters, good hunters, and so many of us of like mind, and that has more value to me than anything we have done................

Michael

tu2

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
Michael,

Very well said. 'Bullet behavior' is likely the best descriptor in this thread or any other.

I seem to recollect that use of 'wet newsprint' is in fact an approved forensic methodology and that we discussed this at length somewhere in the first 100 pages of the thread. If I recollect correctly the 'true complaint' wasn't that your combined 'soaked magazine and newsprint' didn't comport to the accepted standard materials it was solely because you didn't perform the requisite 'squeeze-press' test to absolutely assure that every section of your bullet box pack was 'identical' in saturation and compression. And that you didn't perform the exact same 'squeeze-press' test everytime you used the bullet box. At least that's what my brain recollects...

One of these days I'll re-locate the exact references and throw them into the mix of the other discussion. H alluded to them in one of his posts but Alf continues to ignore it even though he acknowledged it was a valid testing methodology.

Ah well, let's pontificate...

Quick question as a result of perhaps an aha moment - relating to bullet behavior -
Alf denotes that all rounded-nose solids flip within DG animals and complete their travel within the game animal butt first. He also postulates that the RNS flipping within game animals causes greater trauma to the animal that does a straight-penetrating bullet.

I would have to agree that RSN bullets do flip within game animals solely from having seen photographs of RSN bullets buried butt first in the offside of DG animals.

I have no opinion as to whether the RNS flipping within the game animal does or does not cause greater tissue damage during the flipping process.

I do have concern as to whether the RSN flipping can be truly benchmarked within a DG animal - meaning can it be guarenteed to penetrate straight for 'X' inches and then will flipp to butt first for additional 'Y' inches before completing an additional 'Z' inches of penetration before coming to rest? How variable are the 'X', 'Y', and 'Z' dimensions?

Will every Woodleigh RN FMJ solid in every DG caliber perform in the exact identical manner? Manner meaning identical 'X', 'Y', and 'Z' measurements within DG animals? And yes I did select the Woodleigh RN FMJ solid because that is the bullet most identified by the 'RN Solid' supporters...

Anyway, back to the aha moment.
Do the discriptive questions in the foregoing paragraphs perhaps match the turning points within the bullet box? Basically, at the point where the RN FMJ solid becomes unstable within the soaked magazine/newsprint comport with the 'when moment' the bullet would flip to butt first in a DG animal?

If there is a relationship the the BB instability depth to the within DG animal 'bullet flip' then one would have to say that all Woodleigh RN FMJ solids do not exhibit the identical 'X', 'Y', and 'Z' dimensions with as the different calibers' become unstable at different penetration depths within the testing materials.

One could truthfully state that they all exhibit the same behavior; that behavior being instability within both the testing material and within DG animals.

Seems to me this demonstrated instability behavior is what let to the sojourn within the Terminal Bullet Performance thread to identify a bullet, or bullets, whose behavior 'is not' instability within. DG animal.

Sorry for the length of this post. I hope it is sensical...

Jim coffee
"Life's hard; it's harder if you're stupid"
John Wayne

Posts: 4954 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Amen from me too, for the latest sermon from Mount McCourry. clap

Jim, good aha! tu2
However, I don't think Doc M, PhD-B&M (Doctorate in Ballistics and Metaphysics), Wink
is going to be able to adequately track RN solids in his test medium to study their antics
unless he greatly enlarges the cross-sectional area of the trap,
because RN solids mainly go skittering along the sides of his standard test trap,
getting "free rides" between wall of trap and test medium after they veer and tumble.
The only advantage to widening the traps is that he could shorten the length of box too, for the RN solids.
But then the test medium would be useless for his preferred bullets, and he would be damaging the downrange wall of the laboratory.
That would be a waste, just to give handicapped accessability to Round Nose solids for their own "special" tests.
Bullets are not people!
No "Special Olympics" should be planned for round nose solids!
And to heck with the PC Police!hilbily

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:
Amen from me too, for the latest sermon from Mount McCourry.

rotflmo

http://www.b-mriflesandcartridges.com/default.html

The New Word is "Non-Conventional", add "Conventional" to the Endangered Species List!
Live Outside The Box of "Conventional Wisdom"

I do Not Own Any Part of Any Bullet Company, I am not in the Employ Of Any Bullet Company. I do not represent, own stock, nor do I receive any proceeds, or monies from ANY BULLET COMPANY. I am not in the bullet business, and have no Bullets to sell to you, nor anyone else.

Posts: 8426 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 23 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
RIP. Not PC and surely misunderstood (by many), but damn funny ! No, I do not give a crap that it's not pc, just a 'modern' tongue in cheek comment on another bs situation in our lives.

Posts: 1991 | Location: Sinton, TX | Registered: 16 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
Ron,

Very true. RNSs will not stay 'gross track able' in the bullet box due to the composition of the wet paper mix...

The bullet box wet paper mix (magazines and newsprint)...
- The wet paper mix is not hard like wood which will keep the RSN tracking straight.
- The wet paper mix is not soft like game internal organs or a gelatin mixture both which allow the RNS to flip butt forward and continue tracking in a somewhat straight line.
- The wet paper mix is just sufficiently soft and tough to amplify 'what's wrong' with any bullet while preserving a bullet performance channel similar to a gelatin mixture.

Yep, RNSs require a very special LARGE dimensioned bullet box to capture the critters when they go squirrelly...

Jim coffee
John Wayne

Posts: 4954 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doc, Please help ! I am sure you have had this experience and I need to know how you managed to cope.
I can 't sleep and have lost my appetite. I tested my new 9.3 v 62 in saturated old legal books and now I am deeply concerned a/b what the 'experts' are going to think and say due to my test medium not being exactly like the animals I intend to 'harvest'.
Should I seek counseling ? Medication ? Kill myself ? Cry ? OR just say FIDO ? I'm leaning toward the latter.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
FIDO

Had to google that one:

FIDO means "F*** It, Drive On."

Until Doc M responds, I would say, to Texas Killartist, you are a well adjusted individual if you go FIDO. tu2

To those who cling bitterly to round nose solids and live-animal test media: AMFYOYO
This one I learned over 30 years ago, as in:
"The discharge status of the patient was AMFYOYO."
Adios "My Friend" You Are On Your Own, or something like that. Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Am I to interpret that as AMF(yes, something like that)---- Yoyo ?

One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RIP:
quote:
FIDO

Had to google that one:

FIDO means "F*** It, Drive On."

Until Doc M responds, I would say, to Texas Killartist, you are a well adjusted individual if you go FIDO. tu2

To those who cling bitterly to round nose solids and live-animal test media: AMFYOYO
This one I learned over 30 years ago, as in:
"The discharge status of the patient was AMFYOYO."
Adios "My Friend" You Are On Your Own, or something like that. Wink
tu2

Jim coffee
John Wayne

one of us
posted Hide Post
Texas Killartist, my friend, just remember that "My Friend" used in conversation can also mean "MoFo"
if vocally emphasized, or if capitalized in print. Interpret and react appropriately.
FIDOsalute

One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Texas Killartist:
Am I to interpret that as AMF(yes, something like that)---- Yoyo ?
Urban dictionary: Adios My Friend, You're On Your Own.

Jim coffee
John Wayne

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I know what the urban dictionary or mixed company definition of AMF means. The Texas definition(among men) is a little different.
Yoyo was new to me. Thanks for the info . But, it could be yoyo as a derogatory term also.

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Wow... I am getting an education here.........

FIDO....
AMF...YOYO

And all sorts of things... . I forgot already what I was called the other day????

Should have put it in the data sheets, seems the only way I can keep up these days... cuckoo

TXk....... Absofu**inglutely........ FIDO............

animal

The New Word is "Non-Conventional", add "Conventional" to the Endangered Species List!

I do Not Own Any Part of Any Bullet Company, I am not in the Employ Of Any Bullet Company. I do not represent, own stock, nor do I receive any proceeds, or monies from ANY BULLET COMPANY. I am not in the bullet business, and have no Bullets to sell to you, nor anyone else.

Posts: 8426 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 23 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
quote:
I know what the urban dictionary or mixed company definition of AMF means. The Texas definition(among men) is a little different.
LOL... Not just in Texas!

Jim coffee
John Wayne

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
We have been fighting the ice storm here for a couple of days, just now starting to melt, have a dog damned mess, trees down, drives blocked, big mess. Still have power, kept power here, but many places no power.....

Anyway, this morning got a great report from my buddy out in Utah, and he gave me permission to post, I think he is on AR, but has some issues with some photos..... Great buffalo report, with 458 Winchester........ I will let Jay tell the rest of the story;

quote:
I made it back to Africa this year after all. August 2013 found me in Zimbabwe with two buff bulls on licence so once again, I took my .458 Winchester Mag. for a walk in the mopane.

I got our mutual friend Ken Kempa to put a mad rush on some bullets because I wanted to try the .458 caliber 420 grain Safari Raptor on a Cape buffalo. As it turned out, I shot the first bull just on the front edge of the right shoulder from sitting at about 80 yards. He went straight down. I have not seen a buffalo do that before. He tried to run with the rest of them but his front legs folded and he went right on his nose. Before I could even work the bolt for a follow up, the PH was clapping me on the back and yelling that he's down. I mean man oh man he was done and DRT. The shank was a pass through just in front of the off side shoulder.

The second bull was shot at about 40 yards on the left shoulder with a 450 grain TSX. It penetrated both shoulders and was balled up under the hyde on the far shoulder. Opinions may vary but I think the Safari Raptor and the Barnes TSX are the two best bullets available for buffalo.

All in all I had a great time again this year. There are bigger and more powerful choices but the .458 as it has done a great job so far on Cape buffalo. The last three buffalo have fallen to a single hit each.

The photo of the second buffalo's heart that I sent illustrates what a good expanding bullet can do and still penetrate thick muscle and heavy bone.

The second bull was hit on the shoulder and the way he hunched up I was pretty sure it was a heart shot. Even with his heart destroyed he turned and ran with two other bulls and still made it about 60 yards. Pretty amazing. They are one tough animal.

Nothing like a good buffalo hunt......... NOTHING..............
Thanks Jay for the report....

M

one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post

Looks like that buff died of a Heart Attack!

Keith

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
Great report. Would be very interesting to know what damage was done between the entrance and exit holes...

Jim coffee
John Wayne

One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
Hum... Weather has pretty much sucked from Texas across the Southeast for awhile now. Must be a reason I was delayed in Kali for another year or so...as I sit here in shorts, tee shirt, and sandals...
Cool Yep, must be a reason... Whistling

Jim coffee
John Wayne

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
I have some test work planned for .500 caliber, and thought I might get to it this week... However, with last weeks ice storm, and lots of cleanup work to do here, trees, branches, limbs that need to be sawn up, piled, and later burned I am not sure when I am going to get to it.. Maybe next week or later. Running solids in .500 from 450, 475, 500, 525 and 550s in the 50 B&M, 500 B&M and 500 MDM.... 4 different lengths of nose projection from .558 on the first and early 500#13 Solid and 550#13 solid, 475 & 525 #13s at .600, 450#13 at .650 and I believe the 450 NF is closer to .700 nose projection.... I personally at this moment don't think there is going to be much difference that can be attributed to nose projection, more attributed to weights and velocities of the different bullets in the different cartridges..... My personal interests in this exercise is the fact that I plan on taking the new 500 B&M to the field in Zimbabwe in June, and I want a good solid to match up with the various #13 HPs with tips added, and NF Expanding CPS if I can get POI correct with these.........

But this cleanup has to come first, plus I have actual work type meetings here this week.........

nilly

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
.. However, with last weeks ice storm, and lots of cleanup work .

Sounds like Chip is going to be busy! Any damage to house or vehicles?

But this cleanup has to come first, plus I have actual work type meetings here this week.........

Finally discussing the opening of the VA office here in Winchester. Great let me know start dates.

What are you planning on in Zim this year?
nilly

Posts: 718 | Location: va | Registered: 30 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sounds like Chip is going to be busy! Any damage to house or vehicles?

Finally discussing the opening of the VA office here in Winchester. Great let me know start dates.

What are you planning on in Zim this year?

Both Chip and I are waiting this morning for it to warm up just a bit, still 43 degrees, southern boys
get cold easy..... LOL... Have a small crew of 4-5 of my guys coming in the morning to help out. Lucky
no damage to buildings or house, just big mess to clean up.....

VA Office..> HEH HEH... Want to be the boss in that office?

Going to Gache Gache, taking Mark David for his first cape buffalo. He has 10 or so Aussie buff under his belt, now for cape buffalo. He has elected to use his favorite little gun, 475 B&M Super Short..... Me, just along for the ride, and of course if buffalo, hippo, or elephant get in the way, well..................... But, Mark David is first up on his buffalo regardless......... If it were not for the boys next two years I might not even worry with it, about had all the travel I care for from last year..........

M

One of Us
posted Hide Post
[

What are you planning on in Zim this year?[/QUOTE]

VA Office..> HEH HEH... Want to be the boss in that office?

Well who else do you up here who is a smart and good looking!! shocker

Going to Gache Gache, taking Mark David for his first cape buffalo. He has 10 or so Aussie buff under his belt, now for cape buffalo. He has elected to use his favorite little gun, 475 B&M Super Short..... Me, just along for the ride, and of course if buffalo, hippo, or elephant get in the way, well..................... But, Mark David is first up on his buffalo regardless......... If it were not for the boys next two years I might not even worry with it, about had all the travel I care for from last year..........

Paul and i are heading to west tx for aoudad in oct. No big bore, but will get some terminals on some 140 raptors. You know, just thinking we are going to do hogs for a couple days, so maybe i will take the little gun with some light safari raptors. What is the lightest 458 we can run thru that.

Posts: 718 | Location: va | Registered: 30 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
Hey Michael,
Any update on your problems with the MagnetoSpeed barrel mounted chronograph?

Everyone,
Does anyone have an opinion about the upcoming LabRadar doppler ballistics radar? Here’s a link if you need additional information:
http://mylabradar.com/#Features

Thanks,

Jim coffee
John Wayne

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have killed another Prochrono yesterday with a shotgun wad or sabot.
I got 14 shots of 20ga sabots recorded and the 15th was a killer.
In a previous life I learned to set up a steel plate sheilding the Prochrono unit main box with sky screens unprotected above.
I forgot that trick, got in a hurry.
Something smacked the latest Prochrono dead center at 4 yards.
I have not risked the Oehler sky screen array with shotgun.

The MagnetoSpeed would be great for shotgun, if it works reliably ...

The new Doppler radar device Jim linked to, "coming in spring 2014," is interesting.
I wonder if the wad or sabot peeling off from the slug would confuse the system, as one "red-shifted object" becomes multiple objects downrange? A fast slug and a slow sabot, etc.

Also, does the separating plastic sabot passing through the sky screens of a standard chronograph cause a stretched-out-projectile appearance to the machine?
Does this produce lower readings than actual speed of the bullet or slug coming out of the sabot?

It seems the MagnetoSpeed method right at the muzzle would be best for shotgun.
If it works with rifle, it would cure shotgun chronography woes.

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Cappy....

No updates on the Magnetospeed. Have not taken time to hook it up since having those last issues. It gave excellent readings in the beginning, matching with the chronograph, but then the last couple of rifles I put it on it was giving ridiculous readings ???????

I think it has a hard time with brass or either copper bullets. There are special settings for those. Its very possible I don't have it set up correctly, but I think even more possible that it is more finicky about the setup on the barrel itself, distance below the muzzle, that sort of thing. It is a pain to setup with the straps and spacers. And after each shot with a big bore, then one has to reposition as recoil moves it around some.......... Such a pain, I just have not taken the time to mess with it anymore. I have too many other things to get going on, and I am way behind on my range time the last two weeks.

In fact, backed up. I have several projects going on right now that desperately need a lot of range time to sort out........

I will be working on those today and next week..... As you know, I have had terminals planned for a few weeks now, and can't get to those because of higher priority projects............

Now, I REALLY LIKE the looks of the LabRadar!!!!!!!!!! This is very very interesting, I sent them a request this morning for more info, and especially more info on PRICE, which I did not see anywhere...... If price is reasonable, I can see where this might be excellent............... And, be more efficient than current operations........

RIP....... I Banned "ShotGuns" from the indoor range long ago. Of course I have little use for a shotgun with shot, except for snakes and such crawling critters, but tried to work with some slugs long ago, and found wads were doing a lot of damage to the acoustic foam...... End of Days for shotguns on the range.........

Magnetospeed and Shotgun? Absolutely would do what you want.... If it works, which it did, then it did not, and it might if I messed with it.......... Or might not?????????????????

M

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:
Now, I REALLY LIKE the looks of the LabRadar!!!!!!!!!! This is very very interesting, I sent them a request this morning for more info, and especially more info on PRICE, which I did not see anywhere...... If price is reasonable, I can see where this might be excellent............... And, be more efficient than current operations........

Reply back from LabRadar this morning, unit is very reasonable I think, $499.00 and available in May. I put in for one as soon as they come available, so we will see what we see...... Looks good to me......

Michael

one of us
posted Hide Post
Evaluations of new technology for us shooting enthusiasts by MIB are much appreciated. tu2

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
RIP

If this unit works as advertised it will save a lot of time and effort on my part... I think? It seems to sit closer to the firing line, and possibly hook up as well to one of the computers, this would put info at the bench and not 18 feet downrange.... Also I am interested in some things, it states velocity can be read from muzzle to target out to 100 yards...... I wonder how that works? Press the range at which you want to look at the velocity and get that?..... Or beginning and end? That could be excellent............ Price is reasonable if it actually works?????/ I suppose we are going to find out...........

Michael

One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
quote:
RIP

If this unit works as advertised it will save a lot of time and effort on my part... I think? It seems to sit closer to the firing line, and possibly hook up as well to one of the computers, this would put info at the bench and not 18 feet downrange.... Also I am interested in some things, it states velocity can be read from muzzle to target out to 100 yards...... I wonder how that works? Press the range at which you want to look at the velocity and get that?..... Or beginning and end? That could be excellent............ Price is reasonable if it actually works?????/ I suppose we are going to find out...........

Michael
Part of the Doppler radar process. There are similar hardware that reads a golf balls full trajectory (including drift) and speed from impact through 400yds (if one could hit it that far). I've read of some complaints of slight-periodic inaccuracies but mostly the units perform as advertised.

If this unit works with no greater incidence of inaccuracy then it'd be at least as equal to the best of the traditional chronographs but only require a single rather than multiple units to read ballistics at multiple point within it's range.

Now if only it works as advertised and they follow up with a unit that'll read out to 400yds, or so, the world will be good. Cool

Jim coffee
John Wayne

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jim,
Interseting, that golfball radar of which I heretofor knew nothing. Golf is not a sickness of mine. Wink
But I do have a golfball launcher on a 12gaFH that I have been meaning to chronograph for BC calculation.
Shotgun golf anyone? ... Anyone? ...
Where do I get one of those golf ball radars good to 400 yards?
Bullets: It might start getting expensive if we have to set up a bullet radar every 100 yards and the wind changes
enough to blow the bullet into a unit way out there.
But bullets are probably harder for the radar to "see" at 400 yards than a dimpled golfball,
though big bore and flat base bullets will probably be less "stealthy" to the radar.
Should perform well at MIB where a .375 is considered a ratgun. tu2

One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
Ron,

It equipment is called Trackman Pro and runs just shy of $22,000 for a new outside unit without software and just under $26,000 for a new outside unit with software.

I would love to have one but it's way out of my price range.

Jim coffee
John Wayne

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
This just looks like good stuff to me.....

http://mylabradar.com/#Shooting-Archery

Easy Set Up - Place LabRadar beside the shooter, point towards the target and you’re ready to go.
Maximum Velocity, Minimum Velocity, Average Velocity, Standard Deviation, Extreme Spread.
Actual velocities at various distances, up to 100 yards.
Accurate with subsonic, transonic, supersonic projectiles.
Works in any light conditions.
No Shooting through a small confined window.
Records virtually unlimited number of shots and shot series.
Custom software for later PC analysis.
Smartphone, Tablet, iPad compatible.

Track and obtain true velocities continuously up to 100 yards.

What range performance can one expect with LabRadar?
LabRadar will typically measure the velocity of a 7.62 mm projectile from muzzle up to 100 yards .

How accurate is it?
LabRadar has an accuracy of better than 0.1%.

What data does LabRadar provide?
LabRadar provides minimum/maximum velocities, extreme spread, average velocity and standard deviation of a shot series. Velocities are constantly tracked and recorded at various distances along the flight path.

From the Muzzle out to 100 yards........... I certainly do not need any further than that, I can't see that far as it is!

I think this is going to do the trick, if it does what they say it will do.............????? We will find out soon as I can get one...........

Jim, you did good finding this...... Thanks...............

Michael

one of us
posted Hide Post
If only $500 bucks and it works as claimed, that is a terrific bargain.
Not the $26,000 golfball radar. Wink
You could almost get 2 units for the price of an Oehler 35P.
If good as claimed I want one too, but I will wait for the MIB Consumer Report. Thanks. tu2

One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
I sure hope it functions as advertised; if so it'll be on my list of 'gotta haves'...

And if so, perhaps they'll develop a model that will read out to at least 300yds at a price point not more than double the original model.

Jim coffee
John Wayne

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dad gum it--

just bought a Oehler 35-P last year----

This new gizmo sure LOOKS good on paper--hyope it works in the field as well.

"The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane." Mark Twain
TANSTAAFL

www.savannagems.com A unique way to own a piece of Africa.

DSC Life
NRA Life

Posts: 3386 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 05 September 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sean Russell, I feel your pain. But it will be nice to have both,
and no more "ProChrono Pluses" or "Shooting Chronies" or "Oehler 35P screens" shot to hell by shotgun sabots.
It will save money in the long run. Whistling

Terry W. is at it again in the "Walnut Hill" back page of Rifle #273, March-april 2014, it goes like this:
horse
"Since the days of Sir Samuel Baker, it has been accepted that a good bullet should hold together and penetrate, not fly apart on impact.
Nowadays some folks dismiss Bell, Percival, Hunter, Selby, Henley -- they didn't know what they were talking about.
You are welcome to believe that if you wish."

Luddite logic from a mental midget?
I like to think that Bell, Percival, Hunter, Selby, and Henley would have more open minds than Terry W.
Some giants do learn new tricks.
Some midgets don't.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Some giants do learn new tricks.Some midgets don't.

Classic RIP ! tu2

Posts: 531 | Location: Australia | Registered: 30 June 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I thought I share a post by Wes From 7x Leather, a few months back he took two deer with the .429 200 grain raptors out of the muzzleloading pistol at 136 yards very impressive, still waiting on photos, but he braved the cold and did a quick load test I thought I would share, not realy trying to shoot groups although he produced a group that is about 2.5 inches and he was content but knows this load can do better,

[URL=
]

Just went out and tested a few of the new "Cutting Edge Bullets"

WOW! these things will shoot!!

Load Specs

100 Yards over the hood of my Truck
23*F no wind
Freedom Arms 83 475 Linebaugh
6 Inch Barrel
Starline Brass
2x Leupould scope
340gr solid copper Cutting Edge Bullet
26gr Ramshot Enforcer..(why 26gr? Because 27gr won't fit!)
Rem LP 2 1/2 primer..( I think this is important because a CCI 350 may make this load TOO HOT!?!)

For the first load tested..real happy with velocity for five shots..
1352fps
1350fps
1341fps
1342fps
1348fps
Extreme spread of 11 fps

For a revolver she grouped real nice...the high shot was my fault...I let the grips catch on my rear wrist-bag and the revolver jumped straight up as the shot broke.

With the lighter bullets, Recoil was pretty mild for this revolver..The 430LBT's I usually shoot really bark in comparison.
[URL= ]

Simply, Elegant but always approachable

Posts: 354 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: 24 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
THE MAIN reason I cancelled my long time subscription. Wait, just wait. Delta Bravo's next article will be touting----whichever bullet co pays him the most. Last time it was Swift.