THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    2 Bore Jones Underlever SxS "The Double Deuce"
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2 Bore Jones Underlever SxS "The Double Deuce" Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You would only load the 1 or 2 bore pistols up to 1200fps once and then if you lived through the experience you would never do that again.

That flare pistol is actually a really simple design, I own one similar to it and could easily reproduce it in about any size. The problem with most of these types of ideas is getting the BATFE approval for an over .500 caliber cartridge pistol.

The build is the easy part the approval on the other hand... That's one of the nice things about muzzleloaders, they are exempt from BATFE restrictions according to the CFR 27 definitions.

Colin

Posts: 2329 | Location: uSA | Registered: 02 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
There are restrictions on flare guns from the BATFE?
If you are making an antique replica "flare gun" I thought that would be enough.
The aesthetics of this pistol are quite charming.
The 50-70 Govt was made in a pistol so would that fly?
Maybe the "Street legal" 500 S&W.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There aren't to many examples of pre-1898 flare pistols. Pre-1898 is the dividing line for the BATFE.

Flare pistols in 12 gauge, 8 gauge and so on are a bit of a gray area with the BATFE. In theory you are not supposed to be able to fire a live ammo round out of them. In reality I have seen several flare pistols that would be strong enough to shoot live ammo without a problem.

The biggest Flare pistol I know of is 1"(nearly 4 bore, 1.052") they were made during WWII. The one I had my hands on for a few days was all steel construction and well built, probably well built enough to handle 200grs of FFg and a lead round ball(never got to try that since it wasn't mine).

As for the 50-70 and the 500S&W they are already BATFE approved cartridges so no problem there.

I agree that pistol has a nice look to it.

I built this .22LR for myself about 5 years ago, so I kind of have a liking for this style:

I don't think I ever got around to taking finished pictures of this thing but it has sights and is blued and finished theses days. I pack it around on the farm with 22 snake shot in it for the rattlers we have on our place once in a while.

Colin

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post

I can see this as a sweet pocket derringer in 45 Colt with a birds head handle.

Thanks for the info Colin. You help make this place the coolest gun site. beer
Has anyone made a peperbox pistol that fires say 4 or 6 22LR simultaneously?
One striker for all rimfires? That would act like a shotgun shell and increase lethality cheaply.

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boom stick:

Has anyone made a peperbox pistol that fires say 4 or 6 22LR simultaneously?
One striker for all rimfires? That would act like a shotgun shell and increase lethality cheaply.

to paraphrase - BATFE says "more than one round fired with a single pull of the trigger equals machine gun." Not that you can't legally own machine guns or full auto firearms but that falls into a whole other paper trail and headaches.

Colin

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
That is interesting. A shotgun would do the same thing. Not that I expect logic or reason from a govt agency. The idea of a six shot rimfire still is cool IMHO.