Notify
Tools

Gobi or Altai?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted
Guys,
Any thoughts on one over the other? I am planning to hunt Mongolia next year and am trying to decide if I want to hunt the low desert or the higher mountains. The Gobi ibex are found at 3,000 to 5,000 feet, easier on a flatlander like me, and have the added bonus of gazelle and wolf. Tradeoff is the ibex are a couple of inches shorter than the Altai.

The Altai has a bit bigger ibex, more spectacular vistas but is also at 7,000 to 9,000 feet and less oxygen for me and less to do after you shoot. Thought about combining both but the agent recommended against it because of the hassles involved with moving about the country (long drives in small, rough autos and unreliable airlines and flights). Anyone done this and can provide feedback? Thanks!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7530 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
Russell,
I haven't been there, yet, and I am envious of your going. It's been a few years since I was at 7000 feet, but I remember how impressed I was at how the small deficit of oxygen affected me. I'd go for the Gobi--more stuff and you'll feel better.

Good luck--hope you get a monster, but if you happen upon a Yeti, just take his picture!

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gobi if you don't think you'll be going again. Altai if you do.
Wish I was going with you.

Posts: 3456 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 17 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
By all means do both if at all possible. You will not regret it later and it will be a great expericence, plus you will see a lot of country.

Posts: 144 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 19 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
I'm looking into my first ibex/Asian hunt in Mongolia for 2011. I'm leaning towards the Alti over the Gobi 1. Alti are bigger 2. the hunt will be more difficult (due to higher altitude/harder terrain) and therefore I'm assuming I'll enjoy it more. Considering my experience level I may also be full if "IT" in regard to my assumptions of a more difficult hunt or me enjoying it more. The other reason why I'm looking at the Alti instead of the Gobi is that I'm not terribly concerned with the gazelle and wolf. My understanding is the gazelle you drive as close as you can and take LOOOONNG shots. The wolf I thought I read are not exportable? I am again speaking from my complete absence of experience, so take my comments with a grain of salt.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
If you're interested in any of the gazelle there, I believe you'll have a better chance to hunt them after you collect your ibex if you're going after Gobi ibex. I'd say go for both species of ibex though ... you only live once!

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My only regret from my hunt in Mongolia is that I didn't hunt both Ibex while I was there! If you can afford it hunt both Altai and Gobi on your first trip. It will add much to the experience if you see both areas.

Hawkeye47

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Altai for me.

We flew into Hovd and flew out of Altai.
Altai is not far from the Gobi so I'm sure you could arrange both.
Would love to go back for Boar and Roe Deer from the northern forests.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did the Altai... Had a great time. We were able to use horses for much of the trip, so climbing wasn't always a factor. We took 2 flights within Mongolia. From Ulan B to Hovd and the return. No issues with the flghts what so ever.

If I had to do it again, I would do both. I keep thinking about going back for the Gobi.

Posts: 55 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 10 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I did Altai in 1999 (long time ago now) and wrote about it in Sporting Classics a few years ago. Shot a 45.5 inch ibex; more stunning than a sable IMO.

You can also hunt gazelles, but the way they hunted them there (chasing down in the vehicle) I sort of lost my desire.

The mountains are not that steep; I found the climbing to be quite easy. Not even close to AK sheep or NZ tahr. I doubt we were even 7,000 feet, but I didn't have an altimeter.

I see a lot of dinky ibex coming out Mongolia. Not sure if the issue is overharvest or what. The hunts tend to be quite short in duration, so you don't have a lot of time to fool around. I passed on a few good ones on day one and shot mine on the second day if I recall.

On the other hand, a friend of mine tells me his brother in law just shot the new world record Gobi ibex - 50 inches!

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I had the choice, I would do both. But if only one, I would go for Argali

Posts: 388 | Location: Limpopo, South Africa | Registered: 13 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of profyhunter
posted Hide Post

Only Kirgizistan! Region - Narin!!!!

138cm...August 2009

Phon: +498419819241
Fax: +498419819245
http://www.hunt-club-taiga.de/index.php

Posts: 556 | Location: Germany Kazakstan Kyrgyzstan | Registered: 29 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guys.....I was born in the Bronx...sea level; I live in Great Falls, MT.....3300 ft: here we hunt up to 9000 ft, occasionally,higher; I hunt in colorado at 9000 -11000 ft every year. They are pretty much all the same to me after one day. Get conditioned and stay conditioned.....you'll do fine with the Altai. Jim

Posts: 136 | Location: Great Falls,MT | Registered: 28 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Russ,

sent you a PM..

Posts: 2163 | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote