Find
Notify
Tools

A song to start /end the day. Login/Join 
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
Nicki Haley got it right the other night. It took Republican votes to increase spending.

While Oliver’s opinion is no more valid than anyone else’s…I am willing to bet that he could give a rat’s ass if the government was “shut down” for a few days in effort to rein in wasted spending.

We all should care. The last time those morons in the Freedom Caucus fucked around, Fitch downgraded our credit rating costing us more to service our debt. Fitch cited the increasing dysfunctionality of Government as the reason for the downgrade, you know, things like shutting the government down to appease a nutjob faction of voters.

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shutting the Gov done is not going to do anything but cost us more in the interest with credit down grades.

You and your lot have given us 3 and get the Dems to use in elections.

As for the song, I prefer Jason Isbell.

Posts: 10978 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
https://www.msn.com/en-us/mone...30467d2a1c6a5f&ei=21

Rural town braces for Tyson plant closure, as manufacturing booms elsewhere
Story by J.J. McCorvey •
36m

XXX

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Per my far-right friend: "reality sucks"

FYI - if you ID as "conservative" nowadays, Trump owns you.

Posts: 19795 | Location: Depends on the Season | Registered: 17 February 2017Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Magine Enigam:
https://www.msn.com/en-us/mone...30467d2a1c6a5f&ei=21

Rural town braces for Tyson plant closure, as manufacturing booms elsewhere
Story by J.J. McCorvey •
36m

Tyson is closing 4 plants, 3 of them in the SW MO/NW ARK, and causing a large number of chicken ranches to close. I drove from Fayetteville to Branson week before last, and saw 9 closed chicken ranches - The first one was a surprise, it was run down, bad mtsc, and empty -- i thought to myself "it's hard to fail on the Tyson program" - btw, the Tyson program includes loans for the mega-coups, buying the chicks, feed, meds, and selling the chickens back to tyson - it's legally outsourced, to get rid of certain liabilities, but it is a steady income stream, based on number of bids and coups - I then thought perhaps they didn't recover from the bird flu and it's fallout in '22 --

then I saw the next, which was a well kept/kempt farm, clean, fresh paint, mowed grass, edged slabs, etc, but the coups open and empty -- i was "well hmmm" - after 7 more, I got to Branson and had a pretty long talk with my cousins and their friends - it wasn't a known thing but concerning

Turns out, Tyson knew they were going to close those plants, and had been working with farmers to ramp down -- There's little sources of income outside of service industries in the region - it's going to have big impacts

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38515 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
btw, the Tyson program includes loans for the mega-coups, buying the chicks, feed, meds, and selling the chickens back to tyson - it's legally outsourced, to get rid of certain liabilities, but it is a steady income stream, based on number of bids and coups -

That business model has been used for many years. When I was a kid, about 60 years ago, my parents had two mega-coups, financed and run that way, for several years.

Now, they are lots of them all over around here. There is a Tyson plant near here.

Now that I think about what you said - about empty coups - There are several like that nearby also which I noticed recently, some are large acreage with several mega-coups all lined up in rows.

XXX

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Posts: 19795 | Location: Depends on the Season | Registered: 17 February 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
https://www.msn.com/en-us/life...b618dbd9014b1ed&ei=8

Oliver Anthony’s fans turn on him after ‘Rich Men North of Richmond’ singer speaks out in support of ‘diversity’
Story by Marlon Ettinger •
4d

XXX

One of Us
posted Hide Post
He cant win, its more an indictment on the situation in the world right now.
He has my respect for holding his opinion.

Though once again Im very sceptical of the headline. because it is sensational. Im betting that some fans dont like his stance, but others will applaud it.

Posts: 4289 | Location: South Island NZ | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Thomas "Ty" Beaham
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shankspony:
He cant win, its more an indictment on the situation in the world right now.
He has my respect for holding his opinion.

Though once again Im very sceptical of the headline. because it is sensational. Im betting that some fans dont like his stance, but others will applaud it.

Yup,

One of the quoted tweets/tweeters in that article felt like I do, (and I'm paraphrasing) that 90% of US folks of any persuasion could relate, that it's populist, and as I alluded to earlier in this thread an obvious poke at classism.

Isn't it sad then, that the mainstream media, MSN in this instance, made the conscious decision to run the story from the other 5 or 10 percent fringe whackos?
Almost as if it were a political tool, like they were trying to use the 5% on the left to influence the 5% on the right.

It's their ink I guess, and they're entitled to spend it as they choose, but damn, they just came across as petty...

Posts: 2969 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 07 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Also, I was surprised in reading at least one article how far they went to investigate his background, social media presence, and a lot of personal stuff.

They had a lot of info, some published, probably a lot less than they had, but none of it seemed especially nasty. What got me was they went to the trouble, and they had lots of tools for privacy invasion.

We are all vulnerable to that chit.

XXX

One of Us
posted Hide Post
BTW, I read that Oliver is making upwards of $40,000 a day from the song.

XXX

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah I agree with you both and Its possible that some in the media recognise the song as a chip at themselves?

I hope Oliver is making some money from the song in the direct to consumer manor that he has taken- as far as it can be. With all the attention he deserves something from it .

Posts: 4289 | Location: South Island NZ | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

That should help him get a good start in the livestock business, and I wish him luck.

You know what they say about cattle ranching though.

The best way to end up with a million dollars in the cattle business,
is to start with 2 million.

It's his to spend, hope he spends it wisely because I get the feeling his time in the spotlight will be fleeting.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Im a farmer Ty, thats a little bit too close too the bone.

Another way we say it is that farming is a bloody tough way to make a loss.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Im a farmer Ty, thats a little bit too close too the bone.

Another way we say it is that farming is a bloody tough way to make a loss.

My man, I'm the third generation of four generations of cattlemen.

I feel your pain. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I grew up on a farm. My father got a day job and still continued farming for many years.

XXX

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wonder why we still do it? Probably because I just can not imagine sitting in an office and not getting too the stage where I feel a bullet through the skull would not be a good option.

seriously, I have always needed nature and the outdoors around me and farming is one of the few viable options I had too get that.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Thomas "Ty" Beaham:
quote:

That should help him get a good start in the livestock business, and I wish him luck.

You know what they say about cattle ranching though.

The best way to end up with a million dollars in the cattle business,
is to start with 2 million.

It's his to spend, hope he spends it wisely because I get the feeling his time in the spotlight will be fleeting.

My family been ranching cattle since the 1870s. One of great great grandfathers was a trailboss. Got some good pics (tin-types) of him horseback with huge herds.

All I wanted to do was be a cowboy as a kid.

My Dad wouldn’t let me stay home and ranch with him. He just about forced me to become a veterinarian. Told me that once I got my veterinary license…I could join him.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36651 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
From the family oral history, I've been able to garner over the years, the farm where I live now has direct lineage back to my grandfather, who originally settled the land. I don't know the dates, but I think it was mid-1800s. My father bought all his sibling's share when his father passed. I think the land settlement was much larger initially. It's about 200 acres now.

Nowadays, viable "farms" for crops are much larger acreage. Although there are many small cattle farms, probably hobby or supplemental.

I remember a sawmill which was used for the last remaining long-leaf pines on the property. I remember it well because as children we wanted to play on the sawdust pile, but discovered it was hot from internal combustion, so my father scattered it to avoid fire. There are still remnants of the old pine stumps in the woods. The bulk is underground and are tipped with "fat lighter" spikes now and will puncture a tractor tire. It took 100 years to remove most of the stumps, and rocks, from the part planted with crops.

This is the last generation it will remain intact, since it was split four ways when my father died. The part that went to my sister, who has children, so the surname changes. Her children are not interested in the land, and don't hunt.

Now that I'm retired and moved back here, I still enjoy the entire acreage and manage it for pleasure, timber and deer, etc.

A few years ago, I read part of one of those coffee table type books in a local bank once, while waiting for the banker. The book was about local history, names, places, trails which are now paved roads, etc. I was surprised to learn that my surname was mentioned several times regarding several historically significant people back then.

Some interesting history of two towns near here:

https://www.maconcountyga.gov/oglethorpe-georgia.cfm

Oglethorpe, Georgia

https://www.maconcountyga.gov/montezuma-georgia.cfm

Montezuma, Georgia

XXX

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
I wonder why we still do it? Probably because I just can not imagine sitting in an office and not getting too the stage where I feel a bullet through the skull would not be a good option.

seriously, I have always needed nature and the outdoors around me and farming is one of the few viable options I had too get that.

If I had to live in a city…the bullet would be preferable.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36651 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your stories remind me of an event that happened here recently. We just bought a new farm on the south Island and moved down too it. In the middle of the farm is a small block of land that we don't own but that the farm pays the land taxes on. We thought we better check out what the story was with that land. Turns out that around 1900 the entire farm was sold too the people we now bought it off by one AJ Palmer and a lawyer stuffed up and forgot one title. By the time they found out the palmers had moved on and could not be found.
In one of those small world coincidences, My great grandmother was AJ Palmers sister.
Back then of course, nearly everyone was from a farming family and had some connection with rural life. 120 years later and next too no one does.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news...f3797d94e98dfe&ei=52

The Real Message of 'Rich Men North of Richmond': It's Not Left v. Right, it's Elites v. the Masses | Opinion

https://www.msn.com/en-us/musi...c695d91e22e13f&ei=11

'Rich Men', 'Sound of Freedom': How conservatives are making 'inroads' in culture wars
Story by Marco della Cava and Patrick Ryan, USA TODAY •
1h

XXX