Notify
Tools

A song to start /end the day. Login/Join 
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Algorithms are amazing.

Damn algorithms.

That's bad. Clicking on your link adds that to the algorithm dedicated to me.

So that means I have to screen more, and it may reduce the feed that I actually want.

It takes a while to clear that chit out.

Chit. Roll Eyes

XXX

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Per my far-right friend: "reality sucks"

FYI - if you ID as "conservative" nowadays, Trump owns you.

Posts: 19801 | Location: Depends on the Season | Registered: 17 February 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Thomas "Ty" Beaham
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shankspony:
Maybe Opera just isn't as popular or relatable?

Algorithms are amazing. After my last few days of viewing, this pops too the top of my feed aaaand,Ive been a big fan of Thomas Sowell for some time.

I think in an arguable way he addresses whats relevant in the Anthony song at about 6 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85ilgjllAyQ

Excellent. Thanks.

I'm an admirer and subscriber of Mr. Sowell's YouTube Channel as well.
https://www.youtube.com/@ThomasSowellTV

Posts: 2969 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 07 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Damn, you encouraged me to click on the link again, just to see what you guys are talking about.

My guess is that I deserve it, since I post so many links.

Imagine, if I can't change minds, at least I can influence their algorithm. Big Grin

XXX

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Posts: 19801 | Location: Depends on the Season | Registered: 17 February 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
hee hee Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just giving you an example of Dark Humor. Wink

It has to bear some resemblance to reality.

Kinda like the Far Side cartoons.

XXX

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
ME,
if you would trim you silly long tag line, it would allow us to focus more on what you say.

Back to the song, what, exactly, in the verse do you disagree with? nothing?

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38515 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
ME,
if you would trim you silly long tag line, it would allow us to focus more on what you say.

Agreed. Done. Overdue.

XXX

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Back to the song, what, exactly, in the verse do you disagree with? nothing?

I have posted lots of stuff that I might disagree with. But "disagree with" is the wrong term, IMO, relating to the song or its author.

I really don't "disagree with" the song or Oliver.

I'm just exploring ideas regarding why it went viral.

It's interesting.

Also, as stated previously, I think the cause of economic and cultural stress, expressed in the song, is not the boogie man, nor politicians.

I think it's the circumstance of globalization, which is inevitable and something that isn't attributable to the "man" or either party.

XXX

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
speaking of globalization, when i was doing my MBA, 3 of my profs really tried to get me to publish the paper i wrote on anti-globalization and it's impacts on labor wages -- it would have ruined my career in IT

#dumptrump

476AR,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Magine Enigam:

"If you laugh at these dark jokes, you're proably a genius."
https://www.rd.com/article/dar...or-and-intelligence/

"According to a study published in the journal Cognitive Processing, your reaction to dark humor could indicate your intelligence. In the paper, a team of psychologists concludes that people who appreciate dark humor may have higher IQs, show lower aggression and resist negative feelings more effectively than people who turn up their noses at it."

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
speaking of globalization, when i was doing my MBA, 3 of my profs really tried to get me to publish the paper i wrote on anti-globalization and it's impacts on labor wages -- it would have ruined my career in IT

Very interesting. Smiler

XXX

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Thomas "Ty" Beaham:
quote:

"If you laugh at these dark jokes, you're proably a genius."
https://www.rd.com/article/dar...or-and-intelligence/

"According to a study published in the journal Cognitive Processing, your reaction to dark humor could indicate your intelligence. In the paper, a team of psychologists concludes that people who appreciate dark humor may have higher IQs, show lower aggression and resist negative feelings more effectively than people who turn up their noses at it."

tu2

Many of us, herein, also like irony, satire and parody.

XXX

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's an idea, or question.

Why is it that Rightists can boycott Bud Lite or Ben and Jerry's with effect, and not boycott the things that affect them the most, such as corporations moving jobs overseas?

XXX

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

And the thing is that whatever side one is on, we can all sense a decline in the values once held in common, on behalf of the country.

I liked this quote from the Fox News interview I posted earlier and I will tell you why.
I've been thinking about your quote all day and how I had rightly or wrongly come to the conclusion a couple years ago that most Americans born after '80 or '85 were missing your very point.
Then, Oliver had to go and say this:

Anthony: "I don't see our country lasting more than another generation the way we are headed. We have to go back to the roots of what made this Country great in the first place, which was our sense of community. We are the melting pot of the world, and that's what makes us strong is our diversity. We need to learn to harness that and appreciate it and not use it as a political tool to keep everyone separate from each other."

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Why is it that Rightists can boycott Bud Lite or Ben and Jerry's with effect, and not boycott the things that affect them the most, such as corporations moving jobs overseas?

I think its harder to boycott something thats gone, than something thats trying to stay. Moving over seas may well also be a sign that your domestic market has already left you?

Posts: 4292 | Location: South Island NZ | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:

Very interesting. Smiler

IIRC, the thrust was that globalization brings a average persons "worth" down to the average (not median) of they local economy, and inhibit upward mobility, as the " dream is being met by working this way" - and since I was in IT, and we were fully in the outsourcing OUT flow, its coming back in at the moment - which disproved my concept. Ah, one of the least times I was WRONG by writing the paper to my instructors POV -

ps, thanks for shortening your tag - much easier to see what you ae saying

#dumptrump

476AR,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I think its harder to boycott something thats gone, than something thats trying to stay. Moving over seas may well also be a sign that your domestic market has already left you?

In part my point was that such boycotts cost jobs. I'm pretty sure Bud Lite and B&J's ice-cream are made in the US. So, the boycott was contra to the lament of job loss and about the culture war instead.

Maybe they think those people brewing Bud Lite and driving the delivery trucks are all queer. Wink

Insofar as the means of production and associated jobs going overseas, that's not a domestic MARKET leaving. In my view, the market demand stays the same. The price may be less or the same or higher, but the profits shift.

There are many examples: hydraulic bottle jacks, spring bar tents, etc. Try buying a hydraulic bottle jack that isn't made in China. Same for the tents. The jacks are throw-away. The tents are good if the one I have is representative.

BTW, my pals, the cyber twins Algo and Arti, have been conferring all night. Algo got his feeling hurt when I used a curse word and made a dark side joke about him. It's yet to be seen what sort of prank they have conspired for me. I'll share it with you. Wink

XXX

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
BTW, my pals, the cyber twins Algo and Arti, have been conferring all night. Algo got his feeling hurt when I used a curse word and made a dark side joke about him. It's yet to be seen what sort of prank they have conspired for me. I'll share it with you.

Well, that didn't take long.

https://www.theonion.com/rare-...essee-zoo-1850765458

Rare Spotless (non-conformist) Giraffe Born At Tennessee Zoo

Published 2 hours ago

A zoo in Tennessee says it has welcomed a rare giraffe that does not have any spots, with experts confirming she may be the only solid-colored reticulated giraffe on the planet. What do you think?

Comments:

“Finally, a tasteful giraffe.”

“No spots just means it’s not ripe yet.”

“Well, euthanasia will solve that little mistake.”

XXX

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Thomas "Ty" Beaham:
When they start forcing school children to sing it in Governor Abbott's schools, I might buy into the whole conservative's anthem mantra.
Until then, it's just another silly catchphrase.

How's that for dark humor? Big Grin

Blame the cyber twins, Algo and Arti. They got all twisted up yesterday when I clicked on the links you posted. So, this one is especially for you:

https://www.theonion.com/new-t...ge-of-god-1850757326

New Texas Law Requires Schools To Display Image Of God Hung Like A Horse In Every Classroom

XXX

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Okay, enough of the dark humor.

Let's flip to some dark truths:

https://www.theonion.com/conse...orth-of-r-1850752276

Conservatives Explain Why They Love 'Rich Men North Of Richmond' Singer Oliver Anthony
Published Friday 1:55PM

Country singer Oliver Anthony made waves across the music industry when his song “Rich Men North Of Richmond,” which contains lyrics that appear to be veiled allusions to QAnon conspiracy theories, recently went viral. The Onion asked right-wingers why they love Anthony’s controversial song so much, and this is what they said.

Farmer:
“He speaks for me and millions of others who don’t want to think too deeply about why everything’s so messed up.”

EMT:
“He understands how both rich and poor people are somehow to blame for my problems.”

Welder:
“It’s about time someone stuck it to all those fat cats in Glen Allen, Virginia.”

Miner:
“He said what my job is.”

Restroom Attendant:
“I also look down on fat people despite being overweight.”

Doctor:
“If Ben Shapiro and Matt Walsh like it, you know it’s a real working-class anthem.”

Construction Worker:
“He seems like the kind of guy you could boycott a beer with.”

Carpenter:
“Finally someone’s calling out Jeffrey Epstein for being a bad guy.”

Ceramicist:
“He gives a voice to regular people like me suffering under the yoke of Washington elites and short, fat people.”

Waitress:
“Until I heard his song, I was this close to blaming my boss for paying me so little.”

Police Officer:
“I was desperate for a new jam after totally playing out that song about sundown towns.”

Accountant:
“It’s the only song I’ve ever heard in my entire life, so I have nothing else to compare it to.”

Ghislaine Maxwell, Prison Inmate:
“I like his lyric about leaving Jeffrey Epstein alone. We definitely need to investigate it less.”

Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-GA):
“He’s not Jewish or Muslim.”

Retired:
“I’m just so thrilled that reactionary conservatism has finally penetrated country music.”

County Clerk:
“Blond hair and red beard is the kind of ultra-white combo I can trust.”

Interior Designer:
“I don’t have any talent either.”

XXX

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

In part my point was that such boycotts cost jobs. I'm pretty sure Bud Lite and B&J's ice-cream are made in the US. So, the boycott was contra to the lament of job loss and about the culture war instead.

Maybe they think those people brewing Bud Lite and driving the delivery trucks are all queer. Wink

Insofar as the means of production and associated jobs going overseas, that's not a domestic MARKET leaving. In my view, the market demand stays the same. The price may be less or the same or higher, but the profits shift.

There are many examples: hydraulic bottle jacks, spring bar tents, etc. Try buying a hydraulic bottle jack that isn't made in China. Same for the tents. The jacks are throw-away. The tents are good if the one I have is representative.

BTW, my pals, the cyber twins Algo and Arti, have been conferring all night. Algo got his feeling hurt when I used a curse word and made a dark side joke about him. It's yet to be seen what sort of prank they have conspired for me. I'll share it with you. Wink

Nothings black and white in this world. Maybe the womanface was just too big an insult too the traditional customers for it to go unignored?

By the market having left I did mean that they had already shifted to buying the cheaper chinese products for sure.

Posts: 4292 | Location: South Island NZ | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I tried to warn ya'll about Algo and Arti on the loose, having their say:

Buckle up:

https://youtu.be/qGNFR7pgxDY

Billy Bragg - Rich Men Earning North of a Million

https://www.msn.com/en-us/musi...bb3c14af8651fe&ei=25

Singer Releases Pro-Union Response to 'Rich Men North of Richmond'
Story by Evann Gastaldo •
9h

XXX

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oliver Anthony's new release:

https://youtu.be/_r5pXAY4PzY

The lyrics:
https://youtu.be/WSWJNZKlPOM

XXX

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do try and keep up. Algo and Arti are counting on you.

https://www.washingtonpost.com...th-of-richmond-song/

Why the right suddenly loves this country singer

August 17, 2023 at 3:16 p.m. EDT

https://nymag.com/intelligence...t-wing-populism.html

CONSERVATISM AUG. 17, 2023

Oliver Anthony and the Incoherence of Right-Wing Populism

XXX

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hope these WaPo articles are available to non-subscribers:

https://www.washingtonpost.com...n-north-of-richmond/

Oliver Anthony and the ‘mainstreaming’ of conspiracy theories
The sudden success of the singer’s ‘Rich Men North of Richmond,’ coupled with other pop-culture gains, marks a huge crossover moment for far-right ideas in mainstream entertainment, experts say

Updated August 20, 2023 at 12:43 p.m. EDT|Published August 17, 2023 at 10:55 p.m. EDT

XXX

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I tried to warn ya'll about Algo and Arti on the loose, having their say:

Buckle up:

https://youtu.be/qGNFR7pgxDY

Billy Bragg - Rich Men Earning North of a Million

https://www.msn.com/en-us/musi...bb3c14af8651fe&ei=25

Singer Releases Pro-Union Response to 'Rich Men North of Richmond'
Story by Evann Gastaldo •
9h

you see, I dont see that as a response, the way that is framed is combative and designed to do exactly what Anthony doesn't want and pit people against each other again.
Its an evolution of the original idea. But there is a warning if thats the path to take. I do beleive Thomas Sowell just iterated it.

My reason for saying that is we have done compulsory unionism in NZ before and it was not a spectacular success... Unless you were a union boss.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I hope these WaPo articles are available to non-subscribers:

https://www.washingtonpost.com...n-north-of-richmond/

Oliver Anthony and the ‘mainstreaming’ of conspiracy theories
The sudden success of the singer’s ‘Rich Men North of Richmond,’ coupled with other pop-culture gains, marks a huge crossover moment for far-right ideas in mainstream entertainment, experts say

Updated August 20, 2023 at 12:43 p.m. EDT|Published August 17, 2023 at 10:55 p.m. EDT

I think most of whats written there we have gone over before, so not that interested in a rehash. Just a couple of things struck me, the reference too "try that in a small town."

There is a double standard I think. Now I dont like that song. IN comparison I think it is negative and threatening and vigilante. But if so and rightly getting criticism, then why not this one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-Tm65i96TY

That basically says the same thing.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Oliver Anthony's new release:

https://youtu.be/_r5pXAY4PzY

The lyrics:
https://youtu.be/WSWJNZKlPOM

Im listening too that for the first time and these are the thoughts running through my head.

One verse reminds me of an older song, Big Yellow taxi. " They took all the trees, and put them in a tree museum, and charged the people a dollar and half to see em."

Another part brought up images from the costner drama, Yellowstone. These themes are not new or that controversial. People all over, especially rural people are to my mind understandably concerned at the loss of their way of life, and too be sure we all tend to forget the bad parts and remember the good.

But over all that, I want to ask you ME, Do you hear that song and have a feeling of dread for the singer? Because I do, and I do hope he has some or is getting some support.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
But over all that, I want to ask you ME, Do you hear that song and have a feeling of dread for the singer? Because I do, and I do hope he has some or is getting some support.

I presume you are talking about Oliver Anthony. If so, yes. You see and hear the same things I do, in this case.

I wish him well.

XXX

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I think most of whats written there we have gone over before, so not that interested in a rehash. Just a couple of things struck me, the reference too "try that in a small town."

There is a double standard I think. Now I dont like that song. IN comparison I think it is negative and threatening and vigilante. But if so and rightly getting criticism, then why not this one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-Tm65i96TY

That basically says the same thing.

I quickly reviewed that link along with your assessment.

I don't like that link, at all. I shut it down as quickly as I could. I don't even want to think about it, and won't if I can avoid it. It's nasty IMO.

XXX

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes it is. Yet where is the concern and outrage at it? I done know Im on other side of world yet It definitely hasn't ruffled feathers like the Aldean song. Well it bloody well should!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm just not gonna offend my algorithm, Algo, or my AI, Arti, my enclosed feedback loop, with stuff like that. They will hold it against me. Wink

Confuse them enough and I might become a Rightist.

Can't let that happen. Wink

XXX

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You are nearly there by all accounts. Just one more click.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0O_VYcsIk8

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Correct. Done deal.

The vortex of the Force has me. Only Algo and Arti can save me now.

That's what they wanted all along. Wink

But your links tainted them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...ion_and_spirituality

XXX

One of Us
posted Hide Post
FYI, Algo and Arti are okay. My worries were needless. Wink

https://www.msn.com/en-us/ente...4cab8135c20779&ei=32

‘Rich Men North of Richmond’ Singer Oliver Anthony Slams Use of Song at Republican Debate: ‘I Wrote That Song About Those People’
Story by Taylor Henderson •
1h

'It's aggravating seeing people on conservative news trying to identify with me like I'm one of them,' singer-songwriter says in new statement that addresses the politicization of his chart-topping viral country hit

Oliver Anthony has addressed the overwhelming response to his viral folk song in a new video statement. In the clip, he notably pushes back against conservative politicians who have championed him, and calls out the use of the song at this week's Republication presidential debate.

"I wrote that song about those people," he said, referring to the candidates featured on the debate.

He also states, more broadly, that "It's aggravating seeing people on conservative news trying to identify with me like I'm one of them."

"The one thing has bothered me is seeing people wrap politics up in this," he said, speaking about the response to the song from inside his truck as rain poured down outside. "It's aggravating to see certain musicians and politicians act like we’re buddies, like we're fighting the same struggle here."

Speaking specifically about the song's use at the Republican debate, he said, with a laugh, "For them to sit there and have to listen to that, that cracks me up."

He went on to clarify his position further. "That song has nothing to do with Joe Biden. It's a lot bigger than Joe Biden," he said. "That song is written about the people on that stage. And a lot more too, not just them, but definitely them.

"It's hard to get a message out about your political ideology or your belief about the world in three minutes and some change, but I do hate seeing that song weaponized," he continued. "I see the right trying to characterize me as one of their own and I see the left trying to discredit me, I guess in retaliation. That shit’s got to stop.”

Anthony went on to say, "They've done everything they can the last two weeks to make me look like a fool, to spin my words, to try and stick me in a political bucket. And they can keep trying, but I’m just going to keep on writing."

"Rich Men North of Richmond" is currently topping the Billboard Hot 100. The song made history by being the first single from an artist with no prior chart history ever to achieve that feat.

Anthony's new statements are noteworthy, since it was approval from right-wing corners that first led to the song going viral after its release on the YouTube channel radiowv earlier this month. They follow other statements in favor of diversity that had already upset his newly amassed conservative fan base.

XXX

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Speaking specifically about the song's use at the Republican debate, he said, with a laugh,
"For them to sit there and have to listen to that, that cracks me up."

lol

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep, You should maybe worry about something else.

Is that the whole article ME?

because the link Ill post is what its taken from, and I notice that it leaves out his equal commentary on the left.
which is a big part of what is pissing him off about all this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cv9uMXiY29s

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is it "a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest"? (Paul Simon)

Anyway, Oliver's selfie video you posted is embedded within the article, so nothing is left out.

So, it seems Oliver is an equal opportunist, which could account for the popularity. Wink

XXX

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Nicki Haley got it right the other night. It took Republican votes to increase spending.

While Oliver’s opinion is no more valid than anyone else’s…I am willing to bet that he could give a rat’s ass if the government was “shut down” for a few days in effort to rein in wasted spending.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36680 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is it "a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest"? (Paul Simon)

Anyway, Oliver's selfie video you posted is embedded within the article, so nothing is left out.

So, it seems Oliver is an equal opportunist, which could account for the popularity. Wink

Only if you click through too his clip. Many wont. Its just strikes me that the text if thats the full article, is a touch disingenuous.