Find
Notify
Tools

Hunters versus Hunters?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted
In a "Discussion", for lack of a better term, in a differetnt topic area on AR some comments were made by Hunters that were somewhat counter to what I believe at least concerning attitudes hunters have toward other hunters.

I am curious as to how many hunters on AR believe that some forms/methods of "Hunting" here in America should be banned/outlawed.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey as long they don't outlaw my guns or my sport or the game I like hunt. /S/

A lot of fudds and golfers with guns out there

Posts: 19443 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is there any form or method of hunting you would support outlawing/stopping?

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are a couple of types of hunting that I wouldn't participate in, or don't agree with, but I would never support a ban knowing that our enemies would pick us apart piece piece if we ever gave an inch. Anti hunters and the anti gun crowd are one and the same with their tactics, if we give an inch, they always come back demanding more.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
There are a couple of types of hunting that I wouldn't participate in, or don't agree with, but I would never support a ban knowing that our enemies would pick us apart piece piece if we ever gave an inch. Anti hunters and the anti gun crowd are one and the same with their tactics, if we give an inch, they always come back demanding more.

I really figured all hunters would believe similarly.

However I am finding out that some of us really do not feel that way.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As long as it is legal,that is fine with me.I do not judge other people.OB

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess I am that guy. I like the as long as it is legal stance-- but who decided what is legal in the first place? Someone said "what you are doing should be illegal" and followed thru with making it illegal. Along those lines, I think as hunting evolves some things should be made illegal and some things which are illegal could be made legal.

I hope to see some things become illegal to protect non-flourishing herds. I hope to see certain hunting methods made illegal which places out-of-balance pressures on the mature segments of herds or which give hunters an insurmountable advantage.

Species which are thriving or over populated should have less regulation than they currently do.

I know many on here will equate what I say to whitetails, but here in the West there are real world worries of struggling game populations and the way hunting methods can strain those populations' sustainability.

Posts: 783 | Location: Utah, USA | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You sound like the PETA camel trying to get his nose under the tent. Each state as well as the feds have people that they pay big bucks to determine carrying capacity, herd heath, etc. I pretty much have to go along with their ideas.
Your efforts, if sincere, would be better spent regulating the McMansions that are popping up like toadstools around a horse turd.
And, in case you didn't notice, man acquired an insurmountable advantage once he learned to fasten a sharp rock on the end of a stick.
What "struggling game populations" are you having "real world" worries about? And what hunting methods do you hope to make illegal?

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I guess I am that guy. I like the as long as it is legal stance-- but who decided what is legal in the first place? Someone said "what you are doing should be illegal" and followed thru with making it illegal. Along those lines, I think as hunting evolves some things should be made illegal and some things which are illegal could be made legal.

I hope to see some things become illegal to protect non-flourishing herds. I hope to see certain hunting methods made illegal which places out-of-balance pressures on the mature segments of herds or which give hunters an insurmountable advantage.

Species which are thriving or over populated should have less regulation than they currently do.

I know many on here will equate what I say to whitetails, but here in the West there are real world worries of struggling game populations and the way hunting methods can strain those populations' sustainability.

Many Thanks for your input.

But as Wasbeeman stated each state has biologists working/monitoring the populations of game animals and they know wnat or how much pressure those populaltions can handle on a yearly basis.

That said, do you believe that hunting methods, Nation Wide should be the same across the board?

One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
quote:
Aim for the exit hole

Good advice.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
None, and same goes for trapping too.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5962 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WLW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MC:

MC. Let me guess, you live in the Salt Lake Basin?

http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4821014232

"He Who Farts in Church, Must Sit in Own Pew".

Posts: 364 | Location: Moorpark, CA | Registered: 18 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow, civil conversation. Almost all are wrong, but hey anything goes on the WWW. First post and I'm PETA. Then the derogatory Salt Lake post comes from a dude from California. You'd think a guy from California would know about stereotyping. In the end I'll take the blame, forgot the WWW is not a place to hold intelligent conversation.

Aiming for the exit hole- Why do you want to shoot it in the guts again?

Posts: 783 | Location: Utah, USA | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Similar to gun rights, we as hunters need a united front in the face of constant attack from the "do as I say" crowd. So my answer is no.

The feelings people will be the eventual end of western civilization.

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Crazy,
I will take your bait-

Of course there are certain types of killing (it is not hunting) that should be banned as it is unethical and not fair chase by any means or definition of hunting.

1. Tower or released pheasant shoots. This is where the shooters get in a giant circle around a hill and pen raised pheasants are launched up and into the air where they fly over the gauntlet as shooters empty there guns on the birds. Sometimes called a European shoot.

2.Any hunting behind a high fence where pen raised animals are released to be shot. Pen raised are animals raised in a controlled environment, fed and habituated to human interaction.

3. Shooting any game animal from an enclosed hide over a feeder that is timed and regulated to attract the animal at prescribed times of the day. I would ban this on high fenced and non fenced areas. I have done this a few times and have come to the conclusion that it is ethically and morally wrong. Not different than baiting waterfowl but worse in a high fence enclosure.

4. Require that all gun owners and hunters attend and pass a rigorous testing course that requires proven proficiency in handling and shooting guns, detailed knowledge of game laws, and detailed knowledge of the specials you wish to hunt. This is done in many European countries and by PH training in Zimbabwe and other African countries.

5. Ban hunting from aircraft. Shooting pigs or coyotes from a helicopter is repugnant and wrong.

6. Adopt the B&C standards of fair chase across all states.

7. Ban the use of night vision optics except in tracking wounded game.

8. Increase the price of all hunting liscences to at least $100 for basic hunting priviledges. Money goes to state game departments to structure the hunting permit classes.

9. Require extensive guide/outfitter training to include proficiency with guns, horses (where appropriate), all laws, first aid, sanitary issues for camps, and trophy evaluation. Require an apprenticeship and demonstrated skills in the field.

That would be a start.

Let the mud fight begin.

Posts: 10273 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
While unethical hunting practices may not need to be banned, responsible hunters should ban together to shun them. Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have the right to do and what is right to do. That is why ethics are more important than laws, always have been and always will be. It has been said that in civilized life, laws float in a sea of ethics. In other words, laws form the basis for the minimum acceptable level of performance, ethics have us seek a higher level of performance. This is true in business, medicine, law, science and any field of human endeavor . . . including hunting. So should unethical and irresponsible forms and methods of hunting be banned or outlawed . . . eventually they will be if allowed to persist . . . until then they should be shunned by responsible and ethical hunters.

Mike

Posts: 21392 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike,
I agree 100%. “Legal”has no meaning other than punishment is involved. “Legal” is not the issue for me. The issue is the decision making and internal reasoning behind the action..

Take cigarette smoking. Everyone knows nicotine is an addictive and cancer causing drug - a complete scourge on mankind, yet it is legal.? Same for cocaine, heroin and other drugs. It is more deadly, yet where is the law in the cigarette debate???

Pick a host of legal activities that you and I know are wrong, yet legal - child brides in many countries, prostitution in our country and others, bribery and the list goes on.

Legal is not the standard, ethics, morality, code of conduct and true sense of right and wrong....

Posts: 10273 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
So it begins on this thread like many others, attack, tear down and insult if you don't think "my way".
We will never be able to hold on to hunting if we are this easily divided and after hunting is gone then will go our guns.
I've seen or been the brunt of attacks on this website usually from a few of the regular actors on all kinds of hunting related topics. Some of you guys and you know who you are claim to be pro hunting or pro gun but it is only on YOUR terms.
I had a guy verbally attack me after I posted a picture of my young son smiling with a whitetail buck he killed claiming I forced him into hunting at such a young age to feed my ego !(?) and he thought kids shouldn't hunt that young.
Had others make their attack at the distance of a "reasonable' shot on big game, whether it be 200 yards 400 yards 600 yards you name it a self imposed expert here has a limit that in their mind no one should shoot past or it suddenly becomes "unethical" and is no longer hunting.
Same thing with the Magnum crowd who thinks Deer hunting starts with .30 caliber and if you shoot anything smaller at deer is some kind of stunt and you'll be attacked for it right here on our pages.
Then bring up Bear hunting with a spear or for some Archery hunting and some of you would attack that even though we wouldn't be here if our ancestors didn't master these skills over the millennia.
I conclude that "these experts" would throw our heritage down the drain rather than listen to a differing viewpoint even about something they obviously know little about, in my eyes that makes these fools selfish at the highest level, sacrifice everyone's rights because they refuse to see out of their box.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dogcat, Mr. Jines Thank You for your input. Some of what both of you said I can or do agree with, some of it I don't, but that is just part of any discussion among intelligent humans.

quote:
Wow, civil conversation. Almost all are wrong, but hey anything goes on the WWW. First post and I'm PETA. Then the derogatory Salt Lake post comes from a dude from California. You'd think a guy from California would know about stereotyping. In the end I'll take the blame, forgot the WWW is not a place to hold intelligent conversation.

I would like to read more of what you think should be legalized and what should be made illegal, although personally if I believe something is illegal I would not wish to have it legalized.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:
Crazy,
I will take your bait-

Of course there are certain types of killing (it is not hunting) that should be banned as it is unethical and not fair chase by any means or definition of hunting.

1. Tower or released pheasant shoots. This is where the shooters get in a giant circle around a hill and pen raised pheasants are launched up and into the air where they fly over the gauntlet as shooters empty there guns on the birds. Sometimes called a European shoot.

2.Any hunting behind a high fence where pen raised animals are released to be shot. Pen raised are animals raised in a controlled environment, fed and habituated to human interaction.

3. Shooting any game animal from an enclosed hide over a feeder that is timed and regulated to attract the animal at prescribed times of the day. I would ban this on high fenced and non fenced areas. I have done this a few times and have come to the conclusion that it is ethically and morally wrong. Not different than baiting waterfowl but worse in a high fence enclosure.

4. Require that all gun owners and hunters attend and pass a rigorous testing course that requires proven proficiency in handling and shooting guns, detailed knowledge of game laws, and detailed knowledge of the specials you wish to hunt. This is done in many European countries and by PH training in Zimbabwe and other African countries.

5. Ban hunting from aircraft. Shooting pigs or coyotes from a helicopter is repugnant and wrong.

8. Increase the price of all hunting liscences to at least $100 for basic hunting priviledges. Money goes to state game departments to structure the hunting permit classes.

9. Require extensive guide/outfitter training to include proficiency with guns, horses (where appropriate), all laws, first aid, sanitary issues for camps, and trophy evaluation. Require an apprenticeship and demonstrated skills in the field.

That would be a start.

Let the mud fight begin.

Do you consider shooting hogs from a chopper hunting or population control of an invasive species that is doing massive damage to the environment?

I do not consider it hunting myself.

Posts: 12022 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Posted originaly by dogcat
"5. Ban hunting from aircraft. Shooting pigs or coyotes from a helicopter is repugnant and wrong. "

What you are referring to is not commonly known as hunting this is vermin control. Separate the two hunting and vermin control they are not the same.
Once again you are one of the people that have rules that you think others should live by based on "your" beliefs.
This is what will divide us as hunters and gun owners.
Let me guess you don't like to see an animal in a trap so lets ban that too while we are at it....?

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Crazy,
I will take your bait-

That would be a start.

Let the mud fight begin.

I agree with most of this, and for a conclusory statement, no it is not the same as gun rights. Gun rights are an indie right recognized by the S. Ct. where regulation must pass either intermediate scrutiny or strict scrutiny (this is still an open question).

There is a reason those good, powerful NRA hunting commercials showed a man climbing a mountain, and not in an enclosure shooting a artificialy insimulated deer over a timed feeder.

Hunting demands that the animal have an opportunity to escape and win. One wants to improve habitat. That is great, but laying in the mineral rich feed stations in Texas save brush county or Gear pine country is not habit enhancement.

Texas allowing Ted Nuggent to kill off every native deer and bring a heard in from Wisconsin is not here management.

I would sign up today for a program run by the KY Fish and Game that teaches the skills DogCat is wanting to require. I would pay an extra 100 dollars for my liscense to do so.

Finally, the Boone and Crocket fair chase standards were adopted by hunters in 1900s. They barowd heavily from the African Game Conference of 1900.

Folks have sold out hunting to the sponnors that you see on tv shoes.

Non hunters and hunters are not going to support these activities. If we do not ecmunicate them. Hunting is doomed and should be.

I will ask you one last time, Watch Trophy. Then tell me your soul says that should be legal. See how those canned operations are not securing habitat.

High fence can be done right, but the wrong is obvious and needs to die.

Posts: 11385 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snellstrom:
So it begins on this thread like many others, attack, tear down and insult if you don't think "my way".
We will never be able to hold on to hunting if we are this easily divided and after hunting is gone then will go our guns.
I've seen or been the brunt of attacks on this website usually from a few of the regular actors on all kinds of hunting related topics. Some of you guys and you know who you are claim to be pro hunting or pro gun but it is only on YOUR terms.
I had a guy verbally attack me after I posted a picture of my young son smiling with a whitetail buck he killed claiming I forced him into hunting at such a young age to feed my ego !(?) and he thought kids shouldn't hunt that young.
Had others make their attack at the distance of a "reasonable' shot on big game, whether it be 200 yards 400 yards 600 yards you name it a self imposed expert here has a limit that in their mind no one should shoot past or it suddenly becomes "unethical" and is no longer hunting.
Same thing with the Magnum crowd who thinks Deer hunting starts with .30 caliber and if you shoot anything smaller at deer is some kind of stunt and you'll be attacked for it right here on our pages.
Then bring up Bear hunting with a spear or for some Archery hunting and some of you would attack that even though we wouldn't be here if our ancestors didn't master these skills over the millennia.
I conclude that "these experts" would throw our heritage down the drain rather than listen to a differing viewpoint even about something they obviously know little about, in my eyes that makes these fools selfish at the highest level, sacrifice everyone's rights because they refuse to see out of their box.

You ever wonder why there are laws and regulations in place that impose antler restrictions on deer mandating a minimum spread for legal bucks, prohibit baiting for migratory birds like dove, limit the number of shells that a shotgun can hold in hunting for certain animals, require the recovery of game meat from a harvested animal, set size limits on certain species of fish, etc. Those regulations all came to be because there were enough examples of folks that called themselves hunters or fishermen that lacked a proper sense of hunting ethics that were engaged in practices that were considered irresponsible. Face it, we either police ourselves and hold each other to an appropriate standard of ethical and responsible conduct, or state and federal legislators and regulators will ultimately do it for us. Just because drawing ethical lines is tough does not mean that we get a pass in doing so.

Mike

Posts: 21392 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
You ever wonder why there are laws and regulations in place that impose antler restrictions on deer mandating a minimum spread for legal bucks, prohibit baiting for migratory birds like dove, limit the number of shells that a shotgun can hold in hunting for certain animals, require the recovery of game meat from a harvested animal, set size limits on certain species of fish, etc. Those regulations all came to be because there were enough examples of folks that called themselves hunters or fishermen that lacked a proper sense of hunting ethics that were engaged in practices that were considered irresponsible. Face it, we either police ourselves and hold each other to an appropriate standard of ethical and responsible conduct, or state and federal legislators and regulators will ultimately do it for us. Just because drawing ethical lines is tough does not mean that we get a pass in doing so.

And there is the clear example of the problem, not every person that desires to hunt shares the exact same level of "Ethical beliefs", and they never will and with a 50+ year hunting career under my belt, right now simply getting hunters to obey the "Written Rules and Regulations" is a full time job for Game Wardens all across North America and with the 50+ years of experience I have seen too many cases of so called "Ethical" hunters throw ethics out the window if they faced being the only one in camp that hasn't killed something.

From experience the majority of folks, regardless of the activity, operate under the concept of "Situational Ethics".

How many will admit that they have made shots a little before or after legal shooting time?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Could it be possible that the REAL problem is the use of the word hunting/hunter.

Shooting hogs/coyotes from a chopper is not hunting, it is population control/pest eradication and nothing more. But if a person wants to call it hunting who really cares?

Hunting is just a word. How many on here have non-hunting friends/family/acquaintances, that when you return from a hunt instead of asking if you killed anything, they ask if you CAUGHT anything?

One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
All good comments
I would be scared shitless if we all agreed on everything as nothing good comes out of no opposition
Opposition is mother of invention and innovation
That being said, whatever one state does is their prerogative
I do trust out wildlife biologists to fair extent

I’ll borrow from one of my old comments on state laws regarding legal/illegal methods of hunting
“ One man’s hero is another man’s poacher “

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Forums, social media, etc. give cowards a voice too. That said, I think all of us would admit to saying things on occasion in an anonymous forum that we wouldn't say in person. While generally a good thing, I think it can foment discontent and anger rapidly. For those reasons alone hunters need to stand united.

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If a person does not think a certain type of hunting is ethical,they should refrain from it.Where hunters eat each other is in the individuals who believe that everyone should conform to their standards.We need to let go of that.You have to keep an open mind and support hunting techniques you do not agree if they are legal or all will be lost.JMHO,OB

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
stuff I'm against.
paying to hunt.
paying a guide to babysit YOUR elk or deer until you get there.
paying to hunt.
the guide telling you not to shoot that animal it is paid for by someone else already.

hunting methods are mostly regional and are done that way there for a reason.

Posts: 4988 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In NY it is illegal to bait or feed deer. The reason, in part, is because this congregates deer where they will share a food pile and thereby have more chance to spread CWD, tuberculosis, Black Tongue and other communicable diseases.

That's a law I can live with. Using bait is fishing.

Where it is legal - so be it. Surprisingly the local Gander Mountain had two sides of an isle loaded with deer bait, nutrients and feed. Not illegal to sell, only use. I mentioned this to the manager and he said "we get people who come from out of state and take it home". Oh yeah, no doubt for the pleasure of paying the local 8% sales tax.

So, I assume it's a frequently broken law in NYS.

Posts: 66 | Location: Port Crane, NY | Registered: 11 February 2018Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mike,

Everyone knows nicotine is an addictive and cancer causing drug - a complete scourge on mankind, yet it is legal.?

Not to derail the thread, but the above is not all factual. Nicotine does not cause cancer. If it did the e-cigs, patches and gum would be so labelled and perhaps banned since they, unlike cigarettes, do not produce vast tax receipts for both federal and state governments.

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There are some forms of hunting I don't personally do, but I don't begrudge others from doing it. For example, I won't shoot at an animal 700 yards, but if someone else has the skills I'm fine with it. With that being said, if someone does it and doesn't retrieve the animals, then fines should be appropriate. O do not have any prescribed penalties in mind.

Are there things that I think should be changed, sure, but I will not tell anyone that I think they should do any legal hunting.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
quote:

Could it be possible that the REAL problem is the use of the word hunting/hunter.

Shooting hogs/coyotes from a chopper is not hunting, it is population control/pest eradication and nothing more. But if a person wants to call it hunting who really cares?

Hunting is just a word. How many on here have non-hunting friends/family/acquaintances, that when you return from a hunt instead of asking if you killed anything, they ask if you CAUGHT anything?

Maybe by calling this form of culling hunting places as hunting and a target to those who rebuke us when we argue that hunting is a fair chase endeavor.

If it is not hunting why do you care so much it is continued to be called an acceptable form of hunting.

Words, definition, and actions matter. They have consequences.

You have hooked on to alienation. I say you and your absolutist are alienating the public from hunting. If I thought the majority of hunting was penned/hand raised enclosure hunting. I would quit and become an anti.

Posts: 11385 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
"5. Ban hunting from aircraft. Shooting pigs or coyotes from a helicopter is repugnant and wrong. "

What you are referring to is not commonly known as hunting this is vermin control. Separate the two hunting and vermin control they are not the same.
Once again you are one of the people that have rules that you think others should live by based on "your" beliefs.
Let me guess you don't like to see an animal in a trap so lets ban that too while we are at it....?

To answer a couple of questions -

Vermin control - I am not sure what that is in this day and age in the lower 48. Vermin are what exactly?
In Texas, mountain lions are vermin, you can shoot elk to your hearts contnet any time of the year....so, what are vermin?

I would consider mice, rats, feral cats/dogs as vermin I guess.

Coyotes regulate themselves to a large extent. Food sources go up, so does coyote population and vice versa. To me, coyotes are game animals and should regulated as such. Yes, I know the continual complaints about livestock predation, but let the various game departments set the standards for removing problem animals.

On pigs, again, let the various game departments deal with predation issues, let hunters hunt them. However, shooting out of a helicopter for “sport” is not sport.

On trapping, I see a variety of sides to that issue. Done per the law as it now stands, I am ok with it.

On raccoon fighting with dogs... that is barbaric. Chase a raccoon with dogs, run it up a trip, climb the tree to dislodge the raccoon so the dogs can tear it apart.... pathetic in my view and must be banned. It is not hunting, it is gladiatorial compact for animals and the raccoons get ripped to pieces. No place in our society for that.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Outdoor Writer:
quote:
Mike,

Everyone knows nicotine is an addictive and cancer causing drug - a complete scourge on mankind, yet it is legal.?

Not to derail the thread, but the above is not all factual. Nicotine does not cause cancer. If it did the e-cigs, patches and gum would be so labelled and perhaps banned since they, unlike cigarettes, do not produce vast tax receipts for both federal and state governments.

Not so, how do you explain cancer in the mouth from smokeless forms of tobacco.?
Having a mother who died of lung cancer from the addictive nature of nicotine, I respectfully disagree.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Vermin control - I am not sure what that is in this day and age in the lower 48. Vermin are what exactly?
In Texas, mountain lions are vermin, you can shoot elk to your hearts contnet any time of the year....so, what are vermin?

Coyotes regulate themselves to a large extent. Food sources go up, so does coyote population and vice versa. To me, coyotes are game animals and should regulated as such. Yes, I know the continual complaints about livestock predation, but let the various game departments set the standards for removing problem animals.

On pigs, again, let the various game departments deal with predation issues, let hunters hunt them. However, shooting out of a helicopter for “sport” is not sport.

On trapping, I see a variety of sides to that issue. Done per the law as it now stands, I am ok with it.

On raccoon fighting with dogs... that is barbaric. Chase a raccoon with dogs, run it up a trip, climb the tree to dislodge the raccoon so the dogs can tear it apart.... pathetic in my view and must be banned. It is not hunting, it is gladiatorial compact for animals and the raccoons get ripped to pieces. No place in our society for that.

How about hunting Lions and leopards over bait.Night hunting in Africa.Killing baboons.Why does anyone need to shoot an elephant?Why does anyone shoot anything they do not consume or need to exist themselves.Why do you go on hunting trips to take a trophy?You are walking on a slippery slope my friend,but the obvious answer is none of my damn business what you do.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Crazy,
I will take your bait-

That would be a start.

Let the mud fight begin.

Gonna agree with you here, Fair chase is the essence of our sport. Lion or elk, in a fence, doesn't meet the test. As for proficiency testing, it's only logical. You can't buy a hunting license here unless you've passed a Hunter training course, which covers all aspects including firearms handling. Not onerous either like some.

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
quote:

Not so, how do you explain cancer in the mouth from smokeless forms of tobacco.?
Having a mother who died of lung cancer from the addictive nature of nicotine, I respectfully disagree.

Very easy to explain, but I'd rather you do your own research. It's kind of a scientific thing. For a start try doing a search on "what ingredient in smokeless tobacco causes cancer" and then do the same type of search for cigarette smoking. Then get back to me. Wink

BTW, I now have COPD that requires me to be on O2 24/7. I also visit a pulmonologist every three months. The COPD came about from smoking non-filter Camels for 55+ years. I quite three years ago by using NICOTINE patches as suggested by that pulmonologist as my breathing issues worsened,

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

While I agree with a lot of what you say, I cannot understand the hogs. They are non-native, have rapidly growing populations, do immense amounts of damage to crops and the ecosystem. Hunting cannot control their numbers. In FL, they are the property of the landowners and can be killed anyway they see fit.

I can see a need for hog eradication via helicopter. It is not hunting in my book.

Here in FL, I shot between 60 and 70 last year and didn’t make a dent in the population. Helicopter eradication wouldn’t work on my place. It is way too thick.

Posts: 12022 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What do the contributors to this thread have to say about hunting food plots. Does it equate too hunting at a feeder? Another point I have always enjoyed spot and stalk and still hunting for whitetails. It hasn't happened yet, but I can see the day when I will be unable to hunt in my preferred ways. Will it be unethical for me to hunt from a blind with a feeder? How about from a blind with no feeder?

"Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself."
Mark Twain

Posts: 663 | Location: Texas | Registered: 04 January 2007Reply With Quote