Find
Notify
Tools

Hunters versus Hunters?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
No, that is not what I said in any manner.

White tail are native to Texas, but have increased in such numbers that they have basically started invading areas where there had not been any white tail, such as a large of the towns/cities and metropolitan areas where they come into constant conflict wioth the humans living in thosec areas.

In reality, Feral Hogs are not an invasive species. Texans have been raising domesticate hogs ever since white people started moving into Texas.

For decades they allowed those hogs to run free and would round what they could up at certain times to sell or buthcher. There were free ranging feral hogs in southeast Texas and along the upper Texas coast for several decades.

Things rocked along like that for a long time, but about the same time frame as when deer started expanding their range, hogs began a similar expansion.

Changes in agricultural practices and land useage encouraged the expansion of both species, the differences being the breeding biology of the two species, a doe has one or two fawns annually, a pig can have 3 litters of 4 to 8 piglets 2 to 3 times a year.

Deer have a lot more predators than hogs do. A 25 to 35 pound coyote or bobcat against a white tail fawn is not much of a match.

That same coyote or bobcat going up against a whole sounder of pigs or a 100 to 200 pound + sow is not real healthy and they go out of their way to avoid it.

Add to that white tail deer as browsers, even with all the baiting that takes place in Texas has a lot more limited variety of available food items.

And feral hogs take advantage of those baited feeders and with many hunters putting bait out Year Round it helps both the hogs and deer get thru lean times, the hogs capitalize on it a little better.

Pigs are omnivores and as such they approach EVERYTHING with the concept of "I Think I Can Eat It Before It Eats Me" and that includes deads animals.

They are merely listed as an "Invasive Species" because they were not native to Texas or North America, before the spanish came here, and hogs were among some of the first livestock brought to the New World.

With all the above said it brings up an aspect that I had not touched on, but one of the side benefits to deer/feral hogs/wild turkeys and other wildlife with the timed feeder concept, is that the vast nmajority of hunters with leases, feed Year Round, and not just corn, but free choice protein pellets, that is what I am working on now. This time of year when natural food sources are not all that good nutrition wise hunters feed out 22% or higher protein pellets which not only helps with antler growth, but also helps the does produce healthier fawns

So, Slim Buttes does that answer your question? Feral Hogs are an invasive simply because they are not a "Native" species, but have been in America for 400 years or so.

White tails can be considered an invasive when move into highly populated/developed residential areas where they come into conflict with humans on multiple levels!

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In closing, I believe in freedom. I really do not give a shit how one goes about killing animals. I will NEVER try to get anyones right to kill animals hindered.

I watched the Netflix show "Trophy" with my 11 year old son. When the part about the person who killed the crocodile came on my son started saying negative things about this person. I explained that this person is doing nothing wrong, but maybe he should refrain from being such a dickhead. Oh, and can you really believe they didn't shoot that elephant in the head and end the breathing? That is not the makers of "Trophy"s" fault. Oh well.

I don't think that the "Trophy" show was anti hunt, but really showed how complicated reality is.

As CHC stated some time earlier free range hunting will be gone long before put and take killing. Imagine a current American Bison hunt today as the future of "hunting" any current game species. Oh well, get it while we can.

This isn't "Devil's Advocate" this is reality.

Posts: 457 | Location: NW Nebraska | Registered: 07 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
Heym, white tail deer are an invasive species in Texas. I am not asking you to believe me, all I ask is that you take time to read this information from Texas Parks and Wildlife concerning white tail deer. [QUOTE]

Not true. White-tailed deer are NATIVE to TX. An "invasive" species is non-native and generally considered harmful. Kudzu is an example.

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tony, check out my response to Slim Buttes above.

It is when white tails move into or expand into new areas not suitable for them or where they copme into direct conflict with humans, they can be and are consider by some folks as an invasive.

Considering the range expansion that white tails have accomplished during the past 100 years or so, nation wide, even though they are a native North American mammal I tend to believe that states that did not have any white tails 50 to 75 years ago that only had Mule Deer, except for small isolated groups of white tails, considered white tails as an invasive species.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:
quote:
Originally posted by Outdoor Writer:
quote:
My thing is I do not think time feeders are necessary to kill deer in these high density Texas properties.

What they do appear to do is insure “the” deer becomes habituated to a particular spot so he may be shot in 3-5 day hunt.

If one is strictly shooting pigs over timed feeders ok. Pigs are heavily out of balance if not in need of out right eradication.

Welcome to the slippery slope. Wink

Why is one live critter deserving of more concern (respect?) than another live critter? And why is it anyone's business to define which ones are and are not?

One is an invasive species that professional wildlife biologists tell us should not be here.

If I recall correctly someone in this thread was appalled that folks use helicopters to shoot feral pigs.

But it seems you're saying it's no problem how anyone kills them. So are you OK with the aerial shoots?

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
Tony, check out my response to Slim Buttes above.

I had already read it before I posted my reply to you, and it still hasn't changed.

Words have meaning and meanings have words.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Words have meaning and meanings have words.

Point taken.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slim buttes:

I watched the Netflix show "Trophy" with my 11 year old son. When the part about the person who killed the crocodile came on my son started saying negative things about this person. I explained that this person is doing nothing wrong, but maybe he should refrain from being such a dickhead.

I viewed it the same way. It comes under the boorish behavior I mentioned earlier.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
My thing is I do not think time feeders are necessary to kill deer in these high density Texas properties.

What they do appear to do is insure “the” deer becomes habituated to a particular spot so he may be shot in 3-5 day hunt.

If one is strictly shooting pigs over timed feeders ok. Pigs are heavily out of balance if not in need of out right eradication.

Why is one live critter deserving of more concern (respect?) than another live critter? And why is it anyone's business to define which ones are and are not?

One is an invasive species that professional wildlife biologists tell us should not be here.

If I recall correctly someone in this thread was appalled that folks use helicopters to shoot feral pigs.

But it seems you're saying it's no problem how anyone kills them. So are you OK with the aerial shoots?

If you are referring to my post on the subject no. I was appaualed at the vulgar language Ted Nugget used on his and Pigmans show, overall treatment of the issue, and calling it hunting. Read the whole post I made on the subject.

Posts: 10821 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

If you are referring to my post on the subject no. I was appaualed at the vulgar language Ted Nugget used on his and Pigmans show, overall treatment of the issue, and calling it hunting. Read the whole post I made on the subject.

Actually, I wasn't aware you had made that post. Nonetheless, Nugent isn't the only one killing hogs from a copter for sport. So why not answer the question I asked?

Edited: It wasn't your post that I recalled. It was one Dogcat made with this in it:

"5. Ban hunting from aircraft. Shooting pigs or coyotes from a helicopter is repugnant and wrong."

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The more posts I read that CHC puts up the more I just shake my head and laugh. Now Mr. Expert has stated that whitetails are an invasive species in Texas, but hogs aren't, LOL! I would have thought he would have learned a little bit more from all those years working at the zoo, but I guess not and all he did was shovel the shit the critters left behind every day! I would also like him to find and post anywhere that I ever said a thing about making any particular type of hunting illegal. I don't like some of the things that some folks do like shooting game at long distance when it certainly isn't what I consider fair chase when a person is so far that the animal can't use any of it's basic instincts to escape and the shooter has to dial in his equipment to elevate 3 or 4 feet over the animal to hit it. Keep it on paper and gongs where it belongs dang it, not on a live animal!

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Topgun 30-06:
LOL at that reply and it certainly solidifies our member's remark that you're either stupid or obtuse. I hate to call anyone stupid, but it's getting close with these remarks you are making and that last one was a real dilly! You obviously don't think that disagreeing with people is saying they are wrong, but let me clue you in because there is right and there is wrong. If you don't think they're right and "disagree" with them, then you're saying they are wrong by using another word that essentially means the same thing!

I meant to address this when I first read it but got a phone call and forgot to get back to it. So with possible regrets.... Frowner

Most of the things being discussed in this thread fall within one's personal and SUBJECTIVE judgement or the expression of one's personal ideological values. IOW, they are nothing more than OPINIONS. As such, there is no right or wrong, but there can certainly be a difference of opinion, which also commonly is known as a disagreement. And of course, we all know what they say about opinions. Roll Eyes

In contrast, right or wrong can rightly be applied to statement of fact. For example, (paraphrasing here) 'there are no mule deer or elk seasons during the rut' or 'whitetails in Texas are an invasive species' were said as fact, when in reality both are wrong or false. Disagreement in this case is not an option, in the same way it wouldn't be if I said two plus two equals five.

As I mentioned to CHC, words have meanings and meaning have words. So it is with "You're wrong" and "I disagree."

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hogs not an invasive species, just because they aren't native? What a farce. Ask any landowner who has to deal with them and they'll tell you otherwise.

I'm all for helicopter shooting of feral hogs. They are nothing more than vermin. You will never kill them all, and you will never thin out the population by doing this. They multiply too rapidly and there are way too many of them. I do think if you kill them, you should eat them or find someone who wants them. Trying to eradicate feral hogs is like trying to eradicate rattlesnakes and coyotes.....never going to happen.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JGRaider:
Hogs not an invasive species, just because they aren't native? What a farce. Ask any landowner who has to deal with them and they'll tell you otherwise.

I'm all for helicopter shooting of feral hogs. They are nothing more than vermin. You will never kill them all, and you will never thin out the population by doing this. They multiply too rapidly and there are way too many of them. I do think if you kill them, you should eat them or find someone who wants them. Trying to eradicate feral hogs is like trying to eradicate rattlesnakes and coyotes.....never going to happen.

Is this a reply to me???

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:

CHC, you are simply too dense for civil conversation. As pointed out above, no one has called for anything to be outlawed. No one wants anything outlawed. To the contrary, folks like myself would like for hunters to conduct themselves in such a way so as to prevent (and obviate) any changes in the law.

Mike, I have a feeling you're just skimming through this thread. Otherwise you wouldn't have made the above claim in light of this:

quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:
Crazy,
I will take your bait-

Of course there are certain types of killing (it is not hunting) that should be banned as it is unethical and not fair chase by any means or definition of hunting.

1. Tower or released pheasant shoots. This is where the shooters get in a giant circle around a hill and pen raised pheasants are launched up and into the air where they fly over the gauntlet as shooters empty there guns on the birds. Sometimes called a European shoot.

2.Any hunting behind a high fence where pen raised animals are released to be shot. Pen raised are animals raised in a controlled environment, fed and habituated to human interaction.

3. Shooting any game animal from an enclosed hide over a feeder that is timed and regulated to attract the animal at prescribed times of the day. I would ban this on high fenced and non fenced areas. I have done this a few times and have come to the conclusion that it is ethically and morally wrong. Not different than baiting waterfowl but worse in a high fence enclosure.

4. Require that all gun owners and hunters attend and pass a rigorous testing course that requires proven proficiency in handling and shooting guns, detailed knowledge of game laws, and detailed knowledge of the specials you wish to hunt. This is done in many European countries and by PH training in Zimbabwe and other African countries.

5. Ban hunting from aircraft. Shooting pigs or coyotes from a helicopter is repugnant and wrong.

6. Adopt the B&C standards of fair chase across all states.

7. Ban the use of night vision optics except in tracking wounded game.

8. Increase the price of all hunting liscences to at least $100 for basic hunting priviledges. Money goes to state game departments to structure the hunting permit classes.

9. Require extensive guide/outfitter training to include proficiency with guns, horses (where appropriate), all laws, first aid, sanitary issues for camps, and trophy evaluation. Require an apprenticeship and demonstrated skills in the field.

That would be a start.

Let the mud fight begin.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Actually, I wasn't aware you had made that post. Nonetheless, Nugent isn't the only one killing hogs from a copter for sport. So why not answer the question I asked?

Edited: It wasn't your post that I recalled. It was one Dogcat made with this in it:

"5. Ban hunting from aircraft. Shooting pigs or coyotes from a helicopter is repugnant and wrong."

Again, my views of culling pigs from a helicopter have been stated in this thread and in another thread sometime back. You can read them if you want. I am not retyping it all.

Posts: 10821 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
We need some larger predators
First, let’s try native first Griz, Lions, Jaguars
After that, we could add some non native like tigers, leopards
Problem solved and we will have more species to hunt
Yihaw

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Why is one live critter deserving of more concern (respect?) than another live critter? And why is it anyone's business to define which ones are and are not?[/QUOTE]

One is an invasive species that professional wildlife biologists tell us should not be here.[/QUOTE]

But it seems you're saying it's no problem how anyone kills them. So are you OK with the aerial shoots?[/QUOTE]

If you are referring to my post on the subject no. I was appaualed at the vulgar language Ted Nugget used on his and Pigmans show, overall treatment of the issue, and calling it hunting. Read the whole post I made on the subject.[/QUOTE]

"5. Ban hunting from aircraft. Shooting pigs or coyotes from a helicopter is repugnant and wrong."[/QUOTE]

Again, my views of culling pigs from a helicopter have been stated in this thread and in another thread sometime back. You can read them if you want. I am not retyping it all.[/QUOTE]

These are the two relevant items I could find in this thread. The first is the only mention of Nuggent. The second regards helicopter hunting.

"Texas allowing Ted Nuggent to kill off every native deer and bring a heard in from Wisconsin is not here management."

"Maybe by calling this form of culling hunting places as hunting and a target to those who rebuke us when we argue that hunting is a fair chase endeavor."

So I'll put you down as a "maybe" for shooting hogs from a helicopter. A "no" if it's called hunting and a "yes if it isn't. Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Okay, I see it has became more important to go off on tangents than stick to the actual premise of the OP.

White tailed Deer are NOT an invasive species. They are native to North America, but were not native to all areas/regions/states in the U.S. and in my opinion, and that is all it is, any species that was not a resident of an area yet moves into a NEW area and begins competeing with/out competeing existing species, I view it as being an invasive species! Again that is just My Personal Opinion!!!

Similar to My Personal Opinion about Feral Hogs. Hogs were among the first domesticated animals Europeans brought with them to the New World, and even though for a couple of hundred years, they did not/were not able to establish a self-sustaining wild population, the right catalyst clicked into the picture and they were able to spread over most of the U.S. and they are an invasive species.

With that out of the way, whether to anyone's personal satisfaction or not, the OP concerns the FACT that American Hunters appear to be totally incapable of respecting the concept that all of us do not view hunting or our role in it or how we feel about it in the exact same manner.

My point and question remains the same, and No One has displayed the guts or backbone to answer an extremely simple, Black and White, Yes or No question.

quote:
Is there any form or method of hunting in America you would support outlawing/stopping?

Anyone on here besides Dogcat got the guts or nuts to simply respond with either a Yes or No?

I do not agree with Dogcat but at least he is MAN enough to openly state his opinion, and I do respect him for that!

At least he is not afraid to voice his opinion or show where he stands!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Alright, I will retype it.

I accept the common position from professional wildlife biologist that pigs are invasive, vermin, and over populated is insufficient to describe the problem. I have no issue per sa with culling pigs from a helicopter as a tool mostly employed by professionals to address this concern.

My issue is associating the activity with hunting, and the activities portrayl in hunting media.

Ted Nugget and Pigman did the first televised helicopter culling of pigs off a Texas property. In a promo that was aired from the footage. They ran clips from the filming of pig after pig being gunned. Then it cuts to Ted Nugget and Pigman. Ted Nugget in a very wimpy, condescending voice say, “But that is not fair chase.” Camara comes in close, “f you!”

Pig mans is standing there knowdding his head up and down with that stupid grin on his face.

What a wasted opportunity to invite biologists and farmers into the show, explain about carrying capacity, predation on quail and fawns, disease, loss of agriculture, and why this form of culling was being implemented p, then show footage from the shoot.

Nope, just two yahoos using strong profanity on the Sportsman’s Channel and crudely showing the wack and stack footage.

Crazyhorse:
I stayed long time ago if I could I would get rid of time feeders, and the new scent killing gizmos (ozonics). I do not think they work, but let us destroy the deer’s best defense in this pursuit his nose. I honestly do not see how this is so hard.

Farm reared deer, genetically enhanced or artificialy inpregnated deer. Goodbye.

Do any states allow night vision or spot lighting to hunt deer? If so, get it out.

Pursing game from vehicles. Able body hunters shooting from vehicles. Gladly, and easily get it out.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Alright, I will retype it.

I accept the common position from professional wildlife biologist that pigs are invasive, vermin, and over populated is insufficient to describe the problem. I have no issue per sa with culling pigs from a helicopter as a tool mostly employed by professionals to address this concern.

My issue is associating the activity with hunting, and the activities portrayl in hunting media.

Ted Nugget and Pigman did the first televised helicopter culling of pigs ff a Texas property. In a promo The was aired from the footage. The shows runs clips from the filming of pig after pit being gunned. Then it cuts to Ted Nugget and Pigman. Ted Nugget in a very wimpy, condescending voice say, “But that is not fair chase.” Camara comes in close, “f you!”

Pig mans is standing there knowdding his head up and down with that stupid grin on his face.

What a wasted opportunity to invite biologists and farmers into the show, explain about carrying capacity, predation on quail and fawns, disease, loss of agriculture, and why this form of culling was being implemented p, then show footage from the shoot.

Nope, just two yahoos using strong profanity on the Sportsman’s Channel and crudely showing the wack and stack footage.

Okay, I'll amend this a bit: So I'll put you down as a "maybe" for shooting hogs from a helicopter. A "no" if it's called hunting and the hunters use profane language and grin and a "yes" if it's called culling rather than hunting and is done by professional helicopter pig shooters.

Does that sound about right?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank You Sir, you earned respect with your answers.

I do not agree with all of your comments, I do agree about spot lighting/night vision for deer but I seriously do not believe ANY place, including High Fence/Private Operations permit that.

Chasing game with a vehicle I so not suppoort, shooting game from a parked vehicle does not bother me and is legal in Texas.

Point that I keep trying to make is that not EVERY hunter was raised/grew up or developed the exact same concepts concerning ethics/beliefs or what is or is not acceptable to them.

The majority of people I am around that hunt believe in the "If It Is Legal" that is all that matters and INDIVIDUALLY they decide what they will participaste in and what they won't.

That is how I operate.

The concept I feel that some people are missing, is that no matter what hunters do, how much we police ourselves, what level of ethical standards we elevate ourselves too, it is the FACT that we are killing animals for no other reasons than we want to/we enjoy it/and it gives us a feeling of superiority over the lower life forms.

Those are the aspects the Non-Hunters or those that never have hunted look at, with the help and encouragement from the anti's, and in reality not including the anti's because their entire goal is Control of other people, so many folks in this day and time have been so far removed from what the role of humans is in Natural Life, that killing another species not for meat/not in self defence protecting ones self/family/pets/livestock or property, but basically just to kill something has become an extremely foriegn idea.

People still living in rural areas do understand the concept, but people that are two or three or more generations removed from rural life, whose ONLY knowledge about nature came from Disney or Marty Stouffer, sim[ply can not grasp the concept of anyone goinmg out to kill something just to say they killed it.

I can not understand how someone that has been a hunter for 50 plus years and still enjoys hunting can comprehend the situation while other hunters want to point fingers at other hunters and draw lines. believing that non-hunters will buy into that BS and not vote to end hunting!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can put me down for what I typed. Your summary is not a fair reading.

I will do it for you. Culling pigs, yes/acceptable.

Disrespectful fools showing hunting or culling on national tv; no/not acceptable.

Calling these cull activities hunting; no/not permitted.

Crazyhorse: You are welcome. Ultimately, I see the necessity of fair chase and ethics as important to positioning hunting to the voting public. I admit that I also think that to kill something requires the killing to be done with respect and responsibility. I express my views on the topic because I believe hunters in the pursuit of bags, awards,selling hunts, selling gear, have abandoned those universal principles and allowed too much to become legal.

When folks talked about the false bravado and machismo of hunters in a negative way. I would get very defensive. Then I watched Trophy. There it was front and center. I was just as upset about it as a non hunter.

This does not mean one cannot be joyful at a successful kill. I love hunting, I love to eat venison and dove. If I did not enjoy it, I would not do it. But I think we all understand that a kill is not the place for a end zone celebration dance. And it never occurred to me to do one. Yet, somehow this behavior got into hunting.

In short, the pedgilum needs to swing back. Call me John the Baptist and all who disagree may take my head on the issue.

There are few and far between the nationals know hunter who does not engage in and tell everyone watching there media these practices are fine. A guy on tv right now just told me I need to start hunting over bait.

I wil give him credit for being honest about it. Oh, he killed the specie buck on that feeder on day three within a specific time frame.

In the spirt of brotherhood and knowledge you and I will hunt with one another God willing. I will let you read the hunt report before I post it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I will let you read the hunt report before I post it.

Thank You for that thought, but I have guided enough hunters off AR that I have repeat customers and occasionally hear from others concerning hunts.

It will not be necessary for you to let me see the report before you post it, as I firmly trust that once you actually experience how things work, you will see it is not as you have believed it to be.

I make no guarantees that you will see pigs or that if you do, you will make a kill, but the report you make I want it to be open and honest because I think a few too many people that have never actually went on hunts like the ones I do, really know what takes place.

They have formed an uninformed opinion and after doing so, closed their minds.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Me personally...I am for keeping Americans free.

-I grew up in a coon hunting family and love running coons and bobcats with hounds. Having good hounds means kicking a coon out to them once in a while.

-I enjoy shooting pigs and coyotes from helicopters...did so this Saturday. I even enjoy using my AR-15 with 30 round clips. Wink

-I have several pastures with comfy enclosed blinds overlooking timed-feeders with game cameras employed.

-I occasionally shoot pen-raised planted birds

All that said...when I have the time for it...spot and stalk and tracking hunts are my favorite and what I spend the majority of my time doing. I too dislike the croc shooter on Trophy. I actually know that SA outfitter and DON’T hold anything against him as he is just raising livestock and harvesting (for lack of a better term) them in the most profitable way.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36531 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank You, I had been hoping a couple of folks on here that have had a little wider range of experience partaking in various forms of hunting. It would be interesting to read Geedubyas and JTex's thoughts on the issue.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
Thank You, I had been hoping a couple of folks on here that have had a little wider range of experience partaking in various forms of hunting. It would be interesting to read Geedubyas and JTex's thoughts on the issue.

I think they were smart enough to stay out of this shit storm. Wink

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
You can put me down for what I typed. Your summary is not a fair reading.

I will do it for you. Culling pigs, yes/acceptable.

Disrespectful fools showing hunting or culling on national tv; no/not acceptable.

Calling these cull activities hunting; no/not permitted.

Thank you. It's nice to get straight answer to the very simple question I had asked to start(So are you OK with the aerial shoots?) rather than telling me to "go fetch."

one of us
posted Hide Post
This is directed to everyone.

I'm a bit fuzzy on actual numbers, but I think there are at least 10 or so states that still allow the use of dogs for deer hunting -- a method that has been used for centuries.

B&C's "fair chase" statement seems to include this practice under its "unfair advantage" definition since in reality a deer has a chance to escape.

So what say the rest of you?

One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Same with push hunts
Some like it, I don’t but who am I to tell someone not to do it?

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.

“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boarkiller:
Same with push hunts
Some like it, I don’t but who am I to tell someone not to do it?

Do you feel the use of dogs is really fair chase?

P.S. Should we assume push hunts are what are often called deer drives?

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:

I'm a bit fuzzy on actual numbers, but I think there are at least 10 or so states that still allow the use of dogs for deer hunting -- a method that has been used for centuries.

B&C's "fair chase" statement seems to include this practice under its "unfair advantage" definition since in reality a deer has a chance to escape.

Mississippi does allow it. It is great fun and tests your shooting ability. I partake of that as well.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36531 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
I have not ever hunted high-fence big game. I probably never will...just not my cup of tea. That said...I would defend anyone else's right to do it.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
I have not ever hunted high-fence big game. I probably never will...just not my cup of tea. That said...I would defend anyone else's right to do it.

If I recall from past threads in the Africa section, you've hunted there quite a bit. So does that mean you've never hunted in South Africa? No Texas exotics?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I do not know anything about those type of drives to say whether the animal can routinely escape or not.

Also, these issues require more than a five or six word sentence to address. That is why I requested you to look up my position on the issue. I did not want to retype all of that.

I obliged when you indicated you made a good faith effort to look. I gave you a summary in short sentences because it appeared you really wanted one. But I do not think that these type of questions can be answered is appropriate.

Can we agree hunting behind dogs trying to bay an animal is more physically challenging and more likely for the animal to escape or hunter give up . Than taking stand and shooting game driven by dogs.

Again if we are talking about using dogs to drive game in order to cull a number of animals the professionals on that property say need to be shot. Ok, I will not kick. I would prefer we call it culling. But I will not kick.

Last time I was in Sourh Carolina dog drives were legal. No one believes me and not in S. Carolina, but I came up on pack of four dogs that had ran a doe down and was eating her alive. I killed the biggest dog of her carcass who did not run when I approached. So, it is an activity that appears to need strong regulations.

Folks want to talk about slippery slope and I want to talk about nuance, why a practice exist or has become legalized, how can we change from this wack and stack/ awards based culture we find ourselves in, and for us to make a determination of what hunting is and why hunting needs to exist.

I think we owe it to the animal and future if hunting.

One thing I notice and he can disagree, Crazyhorse and I are not that far apart. The difference is he is ok with letting these practices we agree with remain legal and hope folks choice or do better. Because he does not want practices he does engage in to be legislated against. I want to rip some of these practices out by the root because I fear them more. I also think most hunters find such acts appalling and against hunting.

Take a look at this he list, not much do I want to throw out. If we expand this. It use to be legal to take a helicopter, not to a base camp to hunt out of, but within range of a Thar or chamois in New Zeland. One jumped out and let fly with lead. I believe this practice is now and rightfully illegal.

I can remember one listen from my hunter's safety course. An old man begged us when we killed a deer not to tie it across the hood and go driving through town. I could not even drive.

Before anyone ask. No o have not done a driven shoot in Europe.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:

If I recall from past threads in the Africa section, you've hunted there quite a bit. So does that mean you've never hunted in South Africa? No sir...never hunted in RSA. No Texas exotics? No sir.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of adamhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:

GA allows it in our southern zone. I absolutely hate it. And yes, I have done it a few times. Modern day dog hunting bears no resemblance to the sport of days passed that Archibald Rutledge so wonderfully wrote about.
But, I will always defend the rights of dog hunters that practice legally and responsibly.

30+ years experience tells me that perfection hit at .264. Others are adequate but anything before or after is wishful thinking.

Posts: 854 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
I’m OK with dog deer hunts
Dog bear chases, OK with me even when they mess with my baits
It is what it is, I just move further away from roads

“ Hávamál”

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:

8. Increase the price of all hunting liscences to at least $100 for basic hunting priviledges. Money goes to state game departments to structure the hunting permit classes.

Seriously? That $100 may be chump change to you but I have quite a few hunting friends that rely on venison to feed their families and that $100 pay to play suggestion is ludicrous if the State Fish and Game folks don't need it for proper resource management.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7594 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think they were smart enough to stay out of this shit storm.

If you believe that one group of hunters openly wanting to see another group of hunters lose the ability to hunt in LEGALLY SANCTIONED method is a "Shit Storm" where do you stand on the issue?