Now, That's a Hog!
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted
Alabama Boy Kills 1,051-Pound Monster Pig, Bigger Than 'Hogzilla'
Friday, May 25, 2007
AP

Jamison Stone, 11, poses with a wild pig he killed near Delta, Ala.
An 11-year-old Alabama boy used a pistol to kill a wild hog that just may be the biggest pig ever found.

Jamison Stone's father says the hog his son killed weighed a 1,051 pounds and measured 9-feet-4 from the tip of its snout to the base of its tail. Think hams as big as car tires.

If the claims are accurate, Jamison's trophy boar would be bigger than Hogzilla, the famed wild hog that grew to seemingly mythical proportions after being killed in south Georgia in 2004.

Hogzilla originally was thought to weigh 1,000 pounds and measure 12 feet in length. National Geographic experts who unearthed its remains believe the animal actually weighed about 800 pounds and was 8 feet long.

After seeing the pig in person, taxidermist Jerry Cunningham told The Anniston Star it was "the biggest thing I'd ever seen ... it's huge."

The Anniston Star reported that the feral hog was weighed at the Clay County Farmer's Exchange in Lineville. Workers at the co-op verified that the basic truck scales used were recently certified by the state. But no workers from the co-op were present when the hog was weighed.

Jamison is reveling in the attention over his pig, which has a Web site put up by his father — http://www.monsterpig.com — that is generating Internet buzz.

"It feels really good," Jamison, of Pickensville, said in a telephone interview with The Associated Press. "It's a good accomplishment. I probably won't ever kill anything else that big."

Jamison, who killed his first deer at age 5, was hunting with father Mike Stone and two guides in east Alabama on May 3 when he bagged Hogzilla II. He said he shot the huge animal eight times with a .50-caliber revolver and chased it for three hours through hilly woods before finishing it off with a point-blank shot.

Through it all there was the fear that the animal would turn and charge them, as wild boars have a reputation of doing.

"I was a little bit scared, a little bit excited," said Jamison, who just finished the sixth grade on the honor roll at Christian Heritage Academy, a small, private school.

His father said that, just to be extra safe, he and the guides had high-powered rifles aimed and ready to fire in case the beast with 5-inch tusks decided to charge.

With the pig finally dead in a creek bed on the 2,500-acre Lost Creek Plantation, a commercial hunting preserve in Delta, trees had to be cut down and a backhoe brought in to bring Jamison's prize out of the woods.

It was hauled on a truck to the Clay County Farmers Exchange in Lineville, where Jeff Kinder said they used his scale, which was recently calibrated, to weigh the hog.

Kinder, who didn't witness the weigh-in, said he was baffled to hear the reported weight of 1,051 pounds because his scale — an old, manual style with sliding weights — only measures to the nearest 10.

"I didn't quite understand that," he said.

Mike Stone said the scale balanced one notch past the 1,050-pound mark, and he thought it meant a weight of 1,051 pounds.

"It probably weighed 1,060 pounds. We were just afraid to change it once the story was out," he said.

The hog's head is now being mounted on an extra-large foam form by Cunningham of Jerry's Taxidermy in Oxford. Cunningham said the animal measured 54 inches around the head, 74 inches around the shoulders and 11 inches from the eyes to the end of its snout.

Mike Stone is having sausage made from the rest of the animal. "We'll probably get 500 to 700 pounds," he said.

Jamison, meanwhile, has been offered a small part in "The Legend of Hogzilla," a small-time horror flick based on the tale of the Georgia boar. The movie is holding casting calls with plans to begin filming in Georgia.

The Anniston Star reported that congratulatory calls have come all the way from California, where Jamison appeared on a radio talk show. Jamison apparently has gotten words of congratulation from Rickey Medlocke of Lynyrd Skynyrd, country music star Kenny Chesney, Tom Knapp of Benelli firearms and Jerry Miculek of Smith & Wesson.

Jamison is enjoying the newfound celebrity generated by the hog hunt, but he said he prefers hunting pheasants to monster pigs.

"They are a little less dangerous."

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12548 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The guy pushing the Hogzilla thing is a KNOWN BS'er to us folks down here....they knew is was only a 7-8 boar to begin with...This one on this thread looks a hell of a lot bigger...congrats to the young man.

Posts: 373 | Location: Leesburg, GA | Registered: 22 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
That is a BIG pig, but I don't think it's over 1,000. Roll Eyes If the pig was really 1,000+ why would the kid feel the need to stand 30 ft. behind it to make it look even bigger? bewildered

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3106 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eland Slayer:
That is a BIG pig, but I don't think it's over 1,000. Roll Eyes If the pig was really 1,000+ why would the kid feel the need to stand 30 ft. behind it to make it look even bigger? bewildered

I think that he has his elbows resting on the hogs back. The hog looks odd because it is wet on it's lower half.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12548 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Eland Slayer,

I agree either that had is 3000+lbs, that kid is 30" tall, or the kid is several feet behind the piggy and probably with a fisheye lense to boot!!!!

Posts: 1662 | Location: USA | Registered: 27 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
I thought it was Arnold Ziffle, the pig from Green Acres lol

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6804 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Afrikaander
posted Hide Post
It is a big pig, but not a one thousand pounder Roll Eyes

------------------------------------------

Μολὼν λάβε
Duc, sequere, aut de via decede.

Posts: 1325 | Registered: 08 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:
...He said he shot the huge animal eight times with a .50-caliber revolver and chased it for three hours through hilly woods before finishing it off with a point-blank shot.

...trees had to be cut down and a backhoe brought in to bring Jamison's prize out of the woods.

It was hauled on a truck to the Clay County Farmers Exchange in Lineville, where Jeff Kinder said they used his scale, which was recently calibrated, to weigh the hog.

Kinder, who didn't witness the weigh-in, said he was baffled to hear the reported weight of 1,051 pounds because his scale — an old, manual style with sliding weights — only measures to the nearest 10.

"I didn't quite understand that," he said.

Mike Stone said the scale balanced one notch past the 1,050-pound mark, and he thought it meant a weight of 1,051 pounds.

"It probably weighed 1,060 pounds. We were just afraid to change it once the story was out," he said....
That is a real WHOPPER by my standards! "Backhoe Required" toggles into my "Serious Trophy Hog" requirement level.

And it seems they did everything I'd have done to get the weight as close as possible. What am I missing for you folks who think it really doesn't weight that much? Inherent skepticism?

Congratulations Jamison Stone, it was a great Hunt!
---------------

EDIT IN : It does appear that being "Inherently Skeptical" was the correct position. I stand corrected in offering my congratulations on the kill of a "PET" hog - PITIFUL!!!

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
An old boar can get pretty big, I remember taking some to sell when I was younger and my dad had hogs. Some of these weighed 800-850 and weren't fat. I can't understand the point of standing 20 feet behind something or holding a deer rack at arms length and using a WA lens to make it look huge.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jackfish
posted Hide Post
Can you say "PhotoShop"!

You learn something new everyday whether you want to or not.

Posts: 1080 | Location: Western Wisconsin | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jackfish:
Can you say "PhotoShop"!

The story has been widespread. It was even in our local rag with the same photo. It was an AP story and according to them an AP photo.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jriley
posted Hide Post
It was reportedly weighed on a certified scale with witnesses. It just doesn't look like a wild boar to me. It looks like a big domestic boar that belongs at the state fair. Of course, if I saw it in the woods I would have shot it too.

One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
This was on our local news channel tonight.

"Science only goes so far then God takes over."

Posts: 3504 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Looks to me like a domestic gone feral.......

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
An embarrassment to hunters.

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
I just don't get why this is news. Pigs DON'T get that big in the wild, plain and simple. It was fed... I'll bet anything on it!

This Hogzilla junk just makes my blood boil. I've personally been in on taking around 1,500 feral pigs (three last week, the largest one weighed just over 300 pounds and ALL of them had longer tusks than the one in the picture). Many of these raided barley fields and other crops on a nightly basis. NONE of them have weighed over 400 pounds. For three degrees in wildlife I read most every scientific paper published about feral pigs studied throughout the world. A feral/wild pig in "wild" feed conditions is RARELY documented weighing over 400 lbs... much less nearly THREE TIMES THAT MUCH!

I have no problem believing it was 1,000 pounds. A 1,000 lb. pig isn't that unusual ON A PIG FARM!!!! Dished face, floppy ears... the only way it could look more domestic is if it were bright pink.

It just baffles me what this has to do with HUNTING. If I got my 11 year old son to pose with a dairy cow or quarter horse he shot is that news!?!?!? Would we call it hunting?!?!?!

Is that where we're going with this sport... just to see how big of a fed pig we can knock over?

Okay, okay now you want me to say what I really think... I'll calm down.

Thanks,
Kyler

Posts: 2504 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
Kyler, right as usual. what a joke.

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In the national newspapers in the UK on Sunday. My son said 'Dad hasn't he shot it in the gut?' Indeed one of the shots was far back.

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Hence the fact that it took so many shots to die........this whole thing stinks to high heaven.

Semper Fidelis

one of us
Picture of NEJack
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kyler Hamann:
I just don't get why this is news. Pigs DON'T get that big in the wild, plain and simple. It was fed... I'll bet anything on it!

This Hogzilla junk just makes my blood boil. I've personally been in on taking around 1,500 feral pigs (three last week, the largest one weighed just over 300 pounds and ALL of them had longer tusks than the one in the picture). Many of these raided barley fields and other crops on a nightly basis. NONE of them have weighed over 400 pounds. For three degrees in wildlife I read most every scientific paper published about feral pigs studied throughout the world. A feral/wild pig in "wild" feed conditions is RARELY documented weighing over 400 lbs... much less nearly THREE TIMES THAT MUCH!

I have no problem believing it was 1,000 pounds. A 1,000 lb. pig isn't that unusual ON A PIG FARM!!!! Dished face, floppy ears... the only way it could look more domestic is if it were bright pink.

It just baffles me what this has to do with HUNTING. If I got my 11 year old son to pose with a dairy cow or quarter horse he shot is that news!?!?!? Would we call it hunting?!?!?!

Is that where we're going with this sport... just to see how big of a fed pig we can knock over?

Okay, okay now you want me to say what I really think... I'll calm down.

Thanks,
Kyler

I grew up the son of a big time hog farmer. That boar was pen fed. And a small pen at that. We had some boars who were probably pushing 4-500 lbs (the real lazy guys who only got moving when a sow or guilt was in heat), but the others kept moving to much to put on that kind of wieght.

Wild hogs, or feral hogs, don't get that big. They have to move to much and there isn't the food supply.

I hate canned hunts. While I know that this is probably the future of the sport (while it lasts) I find it distasteful to shoot a pen raised animal and pretend it is an accopmlishment of hunting skill.

Posts: 727 | Location: Eastern Iowa (NUTS!) | Registered: 29 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Having hunted Hogs a good bit I could go along with this being a pen raised animal.

I usually try to be optimistic on these types of things but, I've hunted hogs in crop land regions where they reek havoc on farmers crops at night and about the largest you'll ever hear of is around 500 tops and even 500 is rare.

I killed one so large one spring I couldn't budge him after I dropped him with a rifle. I tied a rope through his hocks and had to lay over the handle bars on an atv to keep it from raring up on the front end just to drag him out. It took 4 stout men in their mid 20s to barely lift it off the ground. We had no scales large enough to weigh the beast so, I'll never know what he actually weighed. I do know that with his rear end jammed in one end of a short bed full size dodge, his head had to be bent for the tailgate to shut. Based on varified weights of some other large hogs I've killed, I'd give him a conservative 500lb weight. I'll put it this way, I've killed a weighed 350lb boar(witnessed by many) that was lifted onto an atv by two men(barely) and he was not as long nor as large as the beast I took in the cropland. That said, I could have stood 25 feet behind that huge crop land boar and claimed him to be over 1000 pounds on the internet.....

We used to catch them live with dogs, bring them out, and place them in pens. You can make them quite large in small pens with fatty foods.

Could be true. We'll never know.

I will say that if I ever kill another huge boar I will take a picture of him on the scale showing his weight. If you are going to claim a boar is this large you need quite a bit of proof to back it up and as they say a picture is worth a 1000 words....

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Amen, Reloader! beer

Semper Fidelis

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hunted with a guy near Kingsville one year that was a real no-BS kinda guy. All the hogs there were truly "feral" or "wild"...yeah there were cattle fences, but those don't mean much to pigs.

He had a tripod and scales available for clients to use...his scale topped at 500lbs. I asked him if he had ever needed a bigger scale. He said once, when the hunter got on the scale with the pig. The biggest shot when I was there was 275lbs, not a huge big by anyones standards but a younger boar. I missed one that was much larger, but the outfitter said that even in that area-> farm fields around, year round growing season, a monster was 350 and he had not weighed one over 400 lbs. He didn't dispute the fact that a 400lber might be around, but he weighed several hundred hogs a year and hadn't seen one yet.

Like I said, a real No-BS kinda guy... rare in the hog hunting world? Probably as rare as a 500 lb "wild" pig.

YMMV,

phil

Posts: 126 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 07 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wrongtarget:
Its name was Fred!!

http://www.annistonstar.com/showcase/2007/as-open-0601-...ckland-7f01i1244.htm

How convenient (rhymes with dead). Roll Eyes

Canned hunting sucks.

KG

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
"Fred is dead." I believe that's a line from "SuperFly."

Lo do they call to me,
They bid me take my place
among them in the Halls of Valhalla,
Where the brave may live forever.

one of us
Picture of Gator1
posted Hide Post
'Drop Dead Fred' was a movie. Big Grin

Gator

A Proud Member of the Obamanation

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left."
Ecclesiastes 10:2

"There are some ideas so absurd that only an intellectual could believe them." George Orwell

Posts: 2753 | Location: Climbing the Mountains of Liberal BS. | Registered: 31 July 2002Reply With Quote