Tools

Hunt contracts--what to expect(?)
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:
What I took away from this shit storm....disappointing at a second glance

Mark Young asked that Cal not discuss his contract on AR......
I can understand why and it's easy to see now why after eleven pages and looking at the history of AR and such threads

Mark still gave the OP the contact info that he needed to hunt elk.

He didn't have to do that by the way....

For his efforts he received this eleven page qem as a gratuity

Yes.....I also learned a lot in this thread and not all of it was about hunt contracts

Well, two out of two wrong ain't a passing score.

I've learned something too and I'll state it plainly as follows; some seem to be so concentrated on the discussion of the signing away of one's rights to legal recourse which is a problem, but, as I see it, the main issue with the contract is the Force Majeure section which is, WITHOUT DOUBT, totally unfair to the hunter and should be, without further discussion, a solid reason never to use someone who would ask a hunter to sign such a heinous contract.

Anyone who disagrees with this, including Mr. Young, is welcome to ask me why and I'll quote the contract to show why. But, to sum up, if the FM
quote:
“Force Majeure” means, in relation to the Company and the Outfitter/Safari Operator, any circumstances beyond the reasonable control of the Company or the Outfitter/Safari Operator (including, but without limitation, acts of God, explosion, flood tempest, fire, accident, war or threat of war, terrorist attacks, sabotage, insurrection, civil disturbance, unrest, requisition, sickness, quarantine, government intervention or hindrance of any kind, weather conditions or other untold occurrences). For purposes of this Agreement with you, A Force Majeure event may also include a situation where government concessions for Trips once made available to the Company or the Outfitter/Safari Operator are no longer made available to the Company or the Outfitter/Safari Operator or are significantly restricted.
occurs less than 270 days before the hunt, then ANY and ALL monies paid to the agent will be forfeited and, if the poor hunter hasn't paid all the monies owed for the hunt, he will be billed for the balance due DESPITE NOT BEING ABLE TO GO ON THE HUNT DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY BEYOND HIS CONTROL, such as a revolution, flood, etc. I will say that Mr. Young strongly" recommends the hunter getting cancellation insurance. If he signed that contract, the hunter certainly should, because he isn't getting any help from the agent.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
I think one of the lessons learned on this thread is that agents and outfitters need to be every bit as careful in terms of the clients they accept, as clients are in selecting agents and outfitters. From an agent's or outfitter's perspective there are some clients that are simply not worth the potential headache, particularly for the modest fee they are going earn in many cases. It is clear that in the view of some clients the agent or outfitter is an insurer of their enjoyment, satisfaction, and in some cases success. If everything does not live up to their expectations, someone, presumably the agent or the outfitter, needs to make it right or they can expect to be excoriated. Little surprise then that the contract provisions end up being written to deal with these clients and everyone else is stuck with them.

No doubt true and not just in the booking agent profession.

Posts: 11966 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
Look at it this way Norton, like what he says or not, but Jines is correct with his latest response.

I can remember when leasing property in Texas for deer hunting involved a hand shake and money passing from one hand to another hand.

Maybe Gato will comment on this, but now contracts to lease a pasture to hunt deer in are more complicated than leasing that same pasture to graze cattle on, or a field to grow crops on.

As time has gone by, lease contracts have to be reviewed by a lawyer to keep a land owner or a lease holder from getting really screwed over.

What you say is true CHC, and it's too bad men aren't as honorable in general as they once were. Would you agree that lawyers have made dishonorable men more litigious though?

Not all attorneys are bad....just wanted to bust mjines' balls a bit because of what I view as a misguided stance on this issue. As I said before, we all have to deal with scumbags in our chosen fields, not just agents.

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, let's see, I currently lease 4 properties, totaling just under 3000 acres, to 4 separate parties or individuals, and all I've got is a handshake on all of them. Works for me, but, I will admit, it could be like one of my favorite jokes with a point....

Man jumps off a 50 story building roof....passes a window washer at the 25th floor....startled, the washer yells, "How are you doing?"

Falling man replies, "Ok so faaaaaar."

And then there's another oldie but goodie....

Little boy, age about 10, and his mother are walking in park and boy sees two dogs humping.

He asks his mother, "Mommy, what are those dogs doing?"

Mother, thinking he's too young and not wanting to get into a birds and bees discussion, thinks fast and says, "Well, son, do you see that dog on the bottom?"

"Yes."

"Well, the doggy on top has hurt his paw and the doggy on the bottom is helping take him to the doggy hospital."

Boy takes that in and after a pause, says.....

"Well, ain't that the way of the world, you try to help somebody out and you wind up getting f**ked."

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:

Also, Mark did not give me the outfitter's name to book with. The outfitter contacted me and we discussed the matter and I booked with him. He will pay Mark a fee/commission for the introduction. That works best for both of us: Mark makes his fee and I don't have to sign my life away.

The following is a not atypical provision in a booking agent contract:

"In the event that client reserves an additional guided hunt and or fishing trip with an outfitter which was originally introduced to client by agent, client agrees to book his or her hunt and or fishing trip through agent for all subsequent guided hunts and or fishing trips using the services of outfitter. Client agrees to send the initial deposit and remaining balance for the additional hunt and or fishing trip to agent and not to the outfitter."

I wonder whether such provisions just started appearing in contracts through serendipity or whether they arose because agents found that clients and outfitters were attempting to end run them and cut them out of a fee after providing a service to the client and the outfitter?

Just one example of how our actions as clients have given us the types of contract provisions we like to complain about.

Mike

Posts: 21215 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
quote:
Would you agree that lawyers have made dishonorable men more litigious though?

I believe they have helped get things into the shape they are.

Thanks for your input Gato. It is refreshing to know that there still are some folks that can and do conduct business like that.

All too often anymore every little detail has to be addressed on a formal contract.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I wonder whether such provisions just started appearing in contracts through serendipity or whether they arose because agents found that clients and outfitters were attempting to end run them and cut them out of a fee after providing a service to the client and the outfitter?

Just a guess on my part, but I tend to believe the latter part of your statement is most accurate.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
Look at it this way Norton, like what he says or not, but Jines is correct with his latest response.

I can remember when leasing property in Texas for deer hunting involved a hand shake and money passing from one hand to another hand.

Maybe Gato will comment on this, but now contracts to lease a pasture to hunt deer in are more complicated than leasing that same pasture to graze cattle on, or a field to grow crops on.

As time has gone by, lease contracts have to be reviewed by a lawyer to keep a land owner or a lease holder from getting really screwed over.

Well I disagree. I lease 70,000 acres in TX on two different tracts, and it's still a handshake deal. Leaving atty's out of a deal is a big bonus, and it can still be done.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, Gato pointed that out. Each of us however have our own individual experiences leasing hunting properties, and in Texas from what I have experienced it varies from one region to the next.

In this area due to the number of hunters from the DFW area that lease these properties, the normal concept is a formal contract, and even then conflicts arise.

I am not supporting the system as it has evolved into, the last time I personally PAID to be on a lease was in the 1970's and it was a handshake contract and there were no problems.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:

Also, Mark did not give me the outfitter's name to book with. The outfitter contacted me and we discussed the matter and I booked with him. He will pay Mark a fee/commission for the introduction. That works best for both of us: Mark makes his fee and I don't have to sign my life away.

The following is a not atypical provision in a booking agent contract:

"In the event that client reserves an additional guided hunt and or fishing trip with an outfitter which was originally introduced to client by agent, client agrees to book his or her hunt and or fishing trip through agent for all subsequent guided hunts and or fishing trips using the services of outfitter. Client agrees to send the initial deposit and remaining balance for the additional hunt and or fishing trip to agent and not to the outfitter."

Just one example of how our actions as clients have given us the types of contract provisions we like to complain about.

First let's be crystal clear. Once I knew Cal was not going to sign the contract I contacted the outfitter and told him to contact Cal. He did contact Cal, said he was going to book and that he would take care of my 10%. That was offered by the outfitter and not solicited by me in any way.

Second my contract does not contain the provision quoted above because it sounds too much like the client owes me for future hunts regardless of whether he had a good experience with me personally or not. My operators do often refer a client back to me if they know I was the one that initially talked to the client and in some cases they do consider a client that booked through me initially to always be my client.

third and to make another point clear Cal is only the third person in all the time I've been selling hunts that would not sign the contract. The other two were lawyers and did at least try to negotiate with me but we came to an impasse and that's fine. Cal never asked about negotiating any aspect of the contract and here we are on AR discussing what was personal business on a public forum. Poor form in my mind and it should be obvious why I told Cal I'd rather not book him if he thought he needed to discuss the contract here.

Cheers,

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12867 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
“Force Majeure” means, in relation to the Company and the Outfitter/Safari Operator, any circumstances beyond the reasonable control of the Company or the Outfitter/Safari Operator (including, but without limitation, acts of God, explosion, flood tempest, fire, accident, war or threat of war, terrorist attacks, sabotage, insurrection, civil disturbance, unrest, requisition, sickness, quarantine, government intervention or hindrance of any kind, weather conditions or other untold occurrences). For purposes of this Agreement with you, A Force Majeure event may also include a situation where government concessions for Trips once made available to the Company or the Outfitter/Safari Operator are no longer made available to the Company or the Outfitter/Safari Operator or are significantly restricted.
occurs less than 270 days before the hunt, then ANY and ALL monies paid to the agent will be forfeited and, if the poor hunter hasn't paid all the monies owed for the hunt, he will be billed for the balance due DESPITE NOT BEING ABLE TO GO ON THE HUNT DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY BEYOND HIS CONTROL, such as a revolution, flood, etc.

Mark, this is poor form in my mind. Do you care to explain why this is in your contract?

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:

third and to make another point clear Cal is only the third person in all the time I've been selling hunts that would not sign the contract. The other two were lawyers and did at least try to negotiate with me but we came to an impasse and that's fine.

Cheers,

Mark

Thanks for the morning laugh Mark. Not sure why but that is really funny to me.

Cheers
Jim

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7594 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted Hide Post
It is all about doing your homework. A good reputable outfitter or agent frankly either doesn't need a contract or could put whatever he wants in it, because irrespective of what is actually in the contract, they would do the right thing (the handshake effect).......this selling point is always reflected in the references.

I have seen the entire gamut of outfitters from good to bad to dishonest. Always, I have found the better I due my due diligence the better the decision and the better the outfitter. Every time I have done my part to the fullest, I could have signed any contract sight unseen as it would have been as good as a handshake.

Moreover, no matter how ironclad the contract is nor the more justified the cause, if it comes down to litigation it is often better to cut your losses and look at it as a lesson well learned (the no pot to piss in effect). Again, see above as you did not do your homework.

Regardless, still, Sumpin smells rotten in the state of Denmark.

There are two types of people in the world: those that get things done and those who make excuses. There are no others.

Posts: 1428 | Location: El Campo Texas | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
FMC has it right. If you do your homework correctly nothing really matters much after that.

one of us
posted Hide Post
JG,

This is a good time to explain my view on the Force Majeure. Once again it gives myself and the operator full discretion on how to handle any situation. in practical terms as of right now in Zim some folks might get cold feet because of the unrest. If the operator can safely put on the hunts why would he return the money to the client? This is a business deal and if the outfitter can fulfill his obligation the client should understand that he needs to fulfill his. As for the situation where the operator cannot fulfill his obligation because of circumstances beyond his control the first thing we would try to do is find a different venue for the hunts. in 2012 when the SAVE abruptly closed I had 24 clients booked there. We found good hunts for all of them that year and in fact some had incredible safaris. JG the point is we always try to work with the clients and very little is in stone. In the worst case scenario when for instance a whole country went up side down and we could not roll the safari to another year or country that would be where my recommendation for travel insurance would come in. I might be able to give back my commissions but it might be impossible for a safari operator to pay back 100's of thousands of dollars for a whole season of hunts. international hunting in third world countries carries risk and if a person can't accept that risk he should not book one of these hunts.

Hope this was helpful.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
Office 702-848-1693
E-mail markttc@msn.com

Posts: 12867 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jim,

FYI: I see the not so subtle point your trying to make but please understand that quite a few lawyers have signed my contract and two of them are members here on AR.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
Office 702-848-1693
E-mail markttc@msn.com

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Jim,

FYI: I see the not so subtle point your trying to make but please understand that quite a few lawyers have signed my contract and two of them are members here on AR.

Mark

Mark,

I've signed contracts with you, although with the Adam Clements logo, and chose to value your stated, "trust me" over the obfuscated verbiage of the contract.

Look what happened with out last booking. Regardless of contracts, a piece of paper requested by Adam Clements of Andrew almost resulted in the cancelation of a magnificent safari.

I would not hesitate to discuss future trip possibilities with you but after reading this thread I will never sign a one sided contract again regardless of who presents it.

I was nieve, and Mr. Jines, though it may not have been his goal, has set me straight.

Cheers
Jim

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7594 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
From your post above:

quote:
This is a business deal and if the outfitter can fulfill his obligation the client should understand that he needs to fulfill his.

Of course, your Force Majeure clause has absolutely nothing to do with the client not performing.

From your post above:

quote:
In the worst case scenario when for instance a whole country went up side down and we could not roll the safari to another year or country that would be where my recommendation for travel insurance would come in.

Ummmm, you kind of overlooked the clauses in your FM section which refers the client back to 2.1 (iii) that says if FM is declared in under 270 days in advance of the hunt as a reason the hunt cannot be completed then the client WILL STILL BE LIABLE FOR TOTAL COSTS OF HUNT PAYABLE TO YOU AS "CANCELLATION FEES". I have taken the liberty of putting the paragraphs out of sequence below, so people won't have to go back and forth to figure out what it says.

quote:
6.6. Because a Force Majeure event constitutes a Section 2.1(iii) cancellation fee at all times, the Company strongly recommends that Client purchase Trip Cancellation insurance.

quote:
2.1 (iii) When a cancellation is effective less than 270 days prior to the start of your Trip, the total costs of your Trip will be charged to your account as cancellation fees and no refunds will be made to you.

(iv) Note that in any instance above where sufficient dollars are not in your account to cover the cancellation fees as a result of you not making deposits when due pursuant to these terms and conditions or otherwise, you agree to be liable to the Company for the appropriate amount of any monies due such that the Company receives its entire cancellation fee as provided for above. For this reason, the Company strongly recommends that Client purchase Trip Cancellation insurance as set forth in Section 6 below.

From your post above:

quote:
I might be able to give back my commissions but it might be impossible for a safari operator to pay back 100's of thousands of dollars for a whole season of hunts. international hunting in third world countries carries risk and if a person can't accept that risk he should not book one of these hunts.

"Might be able to give back your commissions". Indeed, is that before or after you have charged the client for the complete costs (cancellation fees, see 2.1 (iii) above) of the whole hunt that you have decided is not doable because of FM.

I'm going to repeat what I said earlier, anyone who is dumb enough to do business with or much less sign a contract like you ask them to sign deserves what they get. Caveat Emptor.

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mark, it appears to me that your clients have all the risk and exposure, and your outfitters have none. Not my idea of a fair deal.

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FMC:

It is all about doing your homework.

. . . good advice for agents and outfitters too before taking on certain clients. Wink

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Help this simple country boy with this confusing concept...why should "I" as a customer, who is already expected to pay in full BEFORE services are rendered, then get no refund in case of "act of god". The outfitter has provided me with zero, while he enjoys no risk to his business.

Kinda like buying a car and paying for it a year in advance only to have the factory burn down and GM not offer a refund...

Posts: 11636 | Location: Wisconsin  | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drummondlindsey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JGRaider:
Mark, it appears to me that your clients have all the risk and exposure, and your outfitters have none. Not my idea of a fair deal.

The outfitter is the one that pays the booking agent.

A good agent will place the right client with the right outfitter for the right hunt. The outfitters pays the commission for the booking and if the agent has done his job right the client has a great hunt.

The agent makes the money from the outfitter but if it weren't for the clients he wouldn't be in business. I guess this is why I was left scratching my head on the "if you ask AR I won't book you" comments. Why alienate the very people you're soliciting business to? Makes no sense to me

MJines is absolutely correct that outfitters and agents need to be careful about the clients they deal with. Some people are impossible to please and some just have unrealistic expectations and there are others just aren't the right fit for a particular hunt for whatever reason. I try to be very careful to make sure a prospective client is the right guy for the hunt that's offered, even if it's coming from an agent. It's only fair to the client and to the outfitter to make sure that the hunt that's available is the right hunt for the right client with the right outfitter.

Posts: 2092 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
This is a business deal and if the outfitter can fulfill his obligation the client should understand that he needs to fulfill his. As for the situation where the operator cannot fulfill his obligation because of circumstances beyond his control

Correct. The client must fulfill their obligation the same as the outfitter. No more, no less.

However, the outfitter does have control. That control is to bank the money he collects for the hunts and have it available for refunds in the event he cannot provide the exact contracted hunt that the hunter contracted for.
The idea that the hunter should have to accept something other than what the hunter contracted for is unacceptable. The outfitter should not be in business if he doesn't have enough working capital to cover his current business.

In my profession we are required to place all unearned money in a trust account. We must account for that money at all times. We can only remove it from the trust account after it has been earned. If it does not get earned it must be returned to the client. If I were to say to a client something like "well, I know you paid me for this, but I can't do that for you now, so instead I will do this for you" I'd probably lose my license.

Of course, if the client wanted me to do something else for the money he had on retainer, that would be a different story, and if hunters want to go on these other hunts that is fine. That is basically a new contract being formed.

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
JG,

This is a good time to explain my view on the Force Majeure. Once again it gives myself and the operator full discretion on how to handle any situation. in practical terms as of right now in Zim some folks might get cold feet because of the unrest. If the operator can safely put on the hunts why would he return the money to the client? This is a business deal and if the outfitter can fulfill his obligation the client should understand that he needs to fulfill his. As for the situation where the operator cannot fulfill his obligation because of circumstances beyond his control the first thing we would try to do is find a different venue for the hunts. in 2012 when the SAVE abruptly closed I had 24 clients booked there. We found good hunts for all of them that year and in fact some had incredible safaris. JG the point is we always try to work with the clients and very little is in stone. In the worst case scenario when for instance a whole country went up side down and we could not roll the safari to another year or country that would be where my recommendation for travel insurance would come in. I might be able to give back my commissions but it might be impossible for a safari operator to pay back 100's of thousands of dollars for a whole season of hunts. international hunting in third world countries carries risk and if a person can't accept that risk he should not book one of these hunts.

Hope this was helpful.

Mark

Why should the risk be one sided on the client? The outfitter too has chosen to operate in third world countries. All country risk is assumed by the client with the outfitter having the ultimate decision to conduct the hunt.

So using zim as an example if a client from us is hunting in zim and us government issues a travel warning and pulls all non essential embassy personal and say emriates (what he has booked his trip on) stops flying to zim but outfitter says it's fine to hunt and the client cancels inside of the 270 day window he is responsible for total safari costs. Even as his country says don't travel to zim and his airline stops flying there. That is a one sided risk and legal liability structure. The client has contractual liabilities in first world country for all the crap that can go wrong in a third world country.

I find this thread really interesting cause it shows the fiduciary and agency obligations are clearly between outfitter and agent not between agent and client.

If cal is only the third person to ever object to the contract then it clearly seems that most hunters are fine signing this contract.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
If cal is only the third person to ever object to the contract then it clearly seems that most hunters are fine signing this contract.

I would have to disagree with that assertion. How many people do you think are going to read an 11 page contract from start to finish like the one stated here and then sign it? My guess is less than 5% and that may be high!

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Topgun 30-06:
quote:

I would have to disagree with that assertion. How many people do you think are going to read an 11 page contract from start to finish like the one stated here and then sign it? My guess is less than 5% and that may be high!

. . . you ever read your insurance policy? Or your mortgage? Your car loan? Did you sign the mortgage or the loan? Big Grin

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

. . . you ever read your insurance policy? Or your mortgage? Your car loan? Did you sign the mortgage or the loan? Big Grin

[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/pDMc0A4RCdk" width="560"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]

The state of Texas drops in a regulatory structure to govern auto insurance contracts - bet it is the same for mortgages and car loans.

http://www.tdi.texas.gov/pubs/consumer/cb020.html

You won't get a one side contract with full liabilities than cal got. Even if some scummy insurance company presents one the state of Texas would null it.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Heym 450/400:
Help this simple country boy with this confusing concept...why should "I" as a customer, who is already expected to pay in full BEFORE services are rendered, then get no refund in case of "act of god". The outfitter has provided me with zero, while he enjoys no risk to his business.

Kinda like buying a car and paying for it a year in advance only to have the factory burn down and GM not offer a refund...

There you go. Makes no sense to this country boy either. Sounds like a better idea to just deal with the company direct and cut out the agent.

Posts: 5699 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/pDMc0A4RCdk" width="560"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]

Thank you for your post that backs up exactly what I stated in mine!

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
. . . you ever read your insurance policy? Or your mortgage? Your car loan? Did you sign the mortgage or the loan?

Since it has nothing to do with this thread.....YES. I read them all. But then I read a lot of contracts for my work. I have certainly changed insurance carriers over it and had MANY cross-outs on my mortgage contract.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
JG,

I might be able to give back my commissions but it might be impossible for a safari operator to pay back 100's of thousands of dollars for a whole season of hunts. international hunting in third world countries carries risk and if a person can't accept that risk he should not book one of these hunts.

Hope this was helpful.

Mark

sounds like agents need to start holding more in escrow to me

also this particular hunt wasn't in a 3rd world country, so maybe have a second contract for US/Canada

I guess I also (wrongly) assumed that going through a US agent was a way of ensuring that even if something would go wrong in Africa I have someone that will be on MY side

I will also say you may not be happy that Cal posted his question but I sure as heck am, now I will know if/when I sign a hunt contract to read and that a one sided contract is NOT the industry standard so I now know that I either need to negotiate or walk away from a 1 sided contract. I have also learned that some of my assumptions about agents are not correct. I also think Cal asked his question in such a manner that some drew conclusions and some like myself had it figured out but were not THAT concerned who but more concerned with what the content of the contract said and ultimately if it was acceptable or unacceptable

Cudos to you for helping those hunters rebook for different areas, that is your job but your contract does say you don't HAVE to so if I knew you on a personal level the "just trust me" would be fine but on a professional level you have to remember someone like myself may be saving up for a few years for that once in a lifetime so a "just trust me" doesn't always sit well.

Posts: 178 | Location: upstate NY | Registered: 14 July 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FMC:
It is all about doing your homework. A good reputable outfitter or agent frankly either doesn't need a contract or could put whatever he wants in it, because irrespective of what is actually in the contract, they would do the right thing (the handshake effect).......this selling point is always reflected in the references.

I have seen the entire gamut of outfitters from good to bad to dishonest. Always, I have found the better I due my due diligence the better the decision and the better the outfitter. Every time I have done my part to the fullest, I could have signed any contract sight unseen as it would have been as good as a handshake.

Moreover, no matter how ironclad the contract is nor the more justified the cause, if it comes down to litigation it is often better to cut your losses and look at it as a lesson well learned (the no pot to piss in effect). Again, see above as you did not do your homework.

Regardless, still, Sumpin smells rotten in the state of Denmark.

The guy I elk hunt with in ID has never asked me to sign a contract. Fantastic hunt, fantastic price, and great fun.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The guy my buddy took his Wyoming Bison with in 2014, as well as our deer horseback hunt last year, was just on a hand shake. He has another 15 day hunt for a moose tag and another deer tag for the same area this year along with a cow Bison hunt in January and no contracts will be signed. It's all on a hand shake the way it used to be in the "good old days" and it's too bad there are few out there that are as good and honest as Ralph.With as much money as my buddy is spending with him along with what I paid for my hunt with him last year he's letting me go on the combo hunt for free when it's usually $150 a day for a non hunter. He will obviously get a good tip from me and I'll still save a ton of money.