THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    time to stir the poop...300 rum or 338 win mag? please see for details.
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

time to stir the poop...300 rum or 338 win mag? please see for details.
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of moki
posted Hide Post
I just thought about how awesome we have it over our counter parts of a 100 years ago. lol

I bet that they were all having the exact same debates over the same subjects but the velocities/cartridges they where dealing with where so much slower.

I can just picture these guys sitting around the camp fire saying I don't need more than a 30-30 for anything in N America and another fellow argueing with him saying no way that new 30-06 is turning out some unbelievable velocities/performance and I can extend my capibilities.

Then the first guy saying but I'm good with my 30-30 I can drop that buck every time out to 300 yards. You won't be able to do anything better with that new faster cartridge and them bullets won't hold together and you'll wound that poor animal.

Now the velocities are majorly faster than then and we're having the same arguments but we're sitting in front of our computers instead of getting together with our buddies.

I'll take my 300 RUM because I can do everything with it that I could do with a 308 Norma mag or 300 Win mag and everything that I shouldn't/couldn't/can't do with the 308 or 300 mag's. Them new fangled bullets are even holding together too.

If that fellow with the 500 hp engine use's his power wisely there's no competion from the little guy's. Cool

Posts: 451 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 20 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by moki:
I just thought about how awesome we have it over our counter parts of a 100 years ago. lol

I bet that they were all having the exact same debates over the same subjects but the velocities/cartridges they where dealing with where so much slower.

I can just picture these guys sitting around the camp fire saying I don't need more than a 30-30 for anything in N America and another fellow argueing with him saying no way that new 30-06 is turning out some unbelievable velocities/performance and I can extend my capibilities.

Then the first guy saying but I'm good with my 30-30 I can drop that buck every time out to 300 yards. You won't be able to do anything better with that new faster cartridge and them bullets won't hold together and you'll wound that poor animal.

Now the velocities are majorly faster than then and we're having the same arguments but we're sitting in front of our computers instead of getting together with our buddies.

I'll take my 300 RUM because I can do everything with it that I could do with a 308 Norma mag or 300 Win mag and everything that I shouldn't/couldn't/can't do with the 308 or 300 mag's. Them new fangled bullets are even holding together too.

If that fellow with the 500 hp engine use's his power wisely there's no competion from the little guy's. Cool[/QUOT

you just wrote my mind clap

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Allen. I would appreciate that from anyone, but esp from a guy with as much experience as you.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7573 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of IdahoVandal
posted Hide Post
Neither..... eek2

.338 RUM--->best of both! beer

IV

minus 300 posts from my total
(for all the times I should have just kept my mouth shut......)

Posts: 844 | Location: Moscow, Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by moki:

---------------------------

I bet they found getting closer and shot placement to be of more importance than long range shooting. JMHO

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RMiller:
I bet they found getting closer and shot placement to be of more importance than long range shooting. JMHO

Yup. You're right. That's why one can only find a 30-06 in the history books these days.

That's exactly why this cartridge died such a quick, premature death in the hunting fields nearly a century ago. Nobody wanted to use it. The "good hunters" likely never will.

The hunters at the time simply had no use for the extended range capabilities over their 30-30's and 30-40's. Why would one need to "snipe" at "long range" with a "wiz-bang '06" when they could always just get closer with their 'Craigs....

That 30-06 might have been a decent cartridge. I guess we'll never know. If the hunters of old were lousy hunters who just wanted to "snipe" at "long range" they would have been sweeping those things off the shelves. But they didn't. They were "good, ethical" hunters. And a 30-30 or 30-40 is all one of those will ever need.

Posts: 920 | Location: Mukilteo, WA | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jon A:
quote:
Originally posted by RMiller:

Yup. You're right. That's why one can only find a 30-06 in the history books these days.

That's exactly why this cartridge died such a quick, premature death in the hunting fields nearly a century ago. Nobody wanted to use it. The "good hunters" likely never will.

The hunters at the time simply had no use for the extended range capabilities over their 30-30's and 30-40's. Why would one need to "snipe" at "long range" with a "wiz-bang '06" when they could always just get closer with their 'Craigs....

That 30-06 might have been a decent cartridge. I guess we'll never know. If the hunters of old were lousy hunters who just wanted to "snipe" at "long range" they would have been sweeping those things off the shelves. But they didn't. They were "good, ethical" hunters. And a 30-30 or 30-40 is all one of those will ever need.

Thats not what I thinking. It is clear the 30-06 was well accepted. But I bet the biggest debate was about power and accuracy and bolt action versus lever action strength and reliability. Not about that with an -06 they could now shoot into the next county to kill a critter.

Besides they already had the 45-70 which was good for 1000's of yards Big Grin

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
YOU MENTIONED THE 45-70 AND I GOT MISTY... hijack OOPS, I HIJACKED MY OWN THREAD

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
I like the 338

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

Posts: 1624 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
35 Newton.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
For me the .300 RUM represents a Hotted up street car, impractical but a fun toy. Fun enough that I am going to get a heavy barrel rem 700 in a .300 RUM as an over the bonnet fun gun.

For actual hunting I will use more standard calibres. But I reckon it's great that we have a lot of choice and hence all have a lot to talk about !!

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My .338 Win mag built by Winston Elrod loves the Federal Premium 225 gr TSX's. I'll vote for it.

To flatten it out a bit, shoot the 185 gr TSX's.

Good luck

Hook em Horns

Posts: 331 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 February 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Moki, very true but I've been told by some very old timers, no longer with us, that the arguments included the 40-65, 32-40 38-55 etc. Many of these cartridges held on until the second world war. Elmer Kieth even recommended some of them until the 1970's IIRC. It would have been interesting. I still have some old rifle books from that era that include these cartridges in their recommendations to the novice.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of moki
posted Hide Post
Whoa holy thread revival... Wink

Last 2 seasons my son and I shot six coastal blacktail they were shot with =

T/C Contender carbine 22" barrel 45-70 325gr FTX @ 1800fps distance = 34 yards

T/C Contender carbine 21" barrel 308 Bellm 150gr Rem Cor-Lok @ 2600fps distance = 80 yards

T/C Contendcer carbine 21" barrel 375JDJ 260gr Accubonds @ 2300fps distance = 40 yards

T/C Contender carbine 23" barrel 6.8SPC 95gr TTSX @ 2960fps distance = 45 yards

T/C Prohunter 22" barrel 30-06 150gr Rem Cor-Lok @ 2750fps distance = 50 yards

T/C Prohunter 22" barrel 30-06 165gr Accubond @ 2850fps distance = 90 yards

I am now mostly hunting heavy bush haven't hunted with my 300RUM or 375RUM in 3 years now.

Posts: 451 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 20 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not everything new is good.

Remember the

Pontiac Fiero, the Cadillac Allante, the Buick Reatta, Edsel,

or the Dardick pistol, the .22 Jet, the .256 Win Mag, the .45 Win Mag,

Mauser 3000, the 1964 M70 Winchester

and the .30-.378 Roy

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ajwsm:
Then i would go with a Rem M700 sendero in 338um thumb

what's wrong with the 338 Lapua?

the natural allaround case in this bore would be the 375Ruger necked down to 338. Some call it the 338 Campfire. Capacity is like the 340, though in a standard length action.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

"A well-rounded hunting battery might include:
500 AccRel Nyati, 416 Rigby or 416 Ruger, 375Ruger or 338WM, 308 or 270, 243, 223" --
Conserving creation, hunting the harvest.