New
Find
Notify
Tools

Whats your Sheep gun ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Out of the box Browning Stainless A-bolt 270, Leupold 3-9 on Leupold mounts. Shoots 150 Nosler partitions into a 3 shot group always under an inch at a hundred yards. My thought on the weight of the rifle is that it is far more important to worry about the greater weight around your beltline. Also you do not need a rifle shooting a large,hard kicking round. Happy Holidays to all

Posts: 200 | Location: alberta canada | Registered: 16 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've got a Dakota M-97 Light Weight Hunter with a 24" barrel in .300WM. It shoots nice it feeds nice it carries nice and in my humble opinon it is about $1000 bucks over priced.

It is a nice rifle but it just ain't $2000 worth of nice.

If you are looking at one of these save your money and go get a Kimber 8400 in 06 or something simular.

One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
Right now, its a Rem 700 .270Win.
Have also used Mod 70 .270win, a S&W 30/06, a Rem 700 30/06, and a Rem 700 .300 WBY

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm surprised that Ultra Light Arms isn't more popular. Melvin Forbes builds a great/light rig here in the US in West Virginia. Mine is a ULA (now NULA) in .284 Win. With scope, sling, and ammo, it weighs under 6 lbs and shoots at least 1 moa with 140 gr partitions all day long.

A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul. G.B. Shaw

posted Hide Post
I have taken several stone sheep with my old trusty 30-06 savage, with a 3x9 leupold scope,not a fancy gun,nor real light but it shoots straight and I know it well, Irecommend you use whatever gun you have that you are comfortable with

posted Hide Post
6.5-06 Ackley Improved in a pre-64 model 70 with a 26" Shilen Select Match barrel. The action is trued, parkerized and pillar bedded. 4.5-14 VariX III. It shoots 120 gr. Barnes X at less than an inch at a hundred. Although I'd probably switch to 130 gr Barnes TSX (my elk load) now.

Its not light, but I'm willing to "pay the freight."

one of us
Picture of Finley
posted Hide Post
Rem Ti in 7mm08AI with talley LW bases and a Leupold 2.5-8 scope. Ready to hunt this rig weighs 6.0 lbs. If you have a light weight 7mm-08 your ready to go. Plenty of power and range for most situations. Perfect sheep round IMHO.

Posts: 223 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 20 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don B
posted Hide Post
Make mine a NULA in .30-06 with Leupold 4.5-14

Posts: 218 | Location: Lawrenceville, GA | Registered: 22 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sherpi
posted Hide Post
Hey Canuck what is a 6.5 gibbs? I am a big fan of 6.5x55

Sauer and Zeiss, perfect match.
Sherpi

Posts: 134 | Location: Iceland | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Hi Sherpi,

The 6.5 Gibbs is basically a "6.5-06 maximally improved". It is based on the '06 case (ie. not the 270 case which is slightly longer). The case taper is minimized and the shoulder is blown forward about .25", and is 35 degrees. That leaves a minimal neck (.25").

It requires a little more fiddling around to form cases, but it will, on average, generate about 100fps more than a 6.5-06 AI.

Rocky Gibbs invented this line of cartridges in the early '70s, starting with the 270 Gibbs.

I quite like mine and will likely have another built, but the truth is due to the case forming the average guy is better served by a 6.5-06 or 6.5-06AI.

I have a soft spot for all the 6.5s. The 6.5x55 is a great cartridge.

Cheers,
Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It would be nice to draw a sheep tag so I can figure out what my sheep gun would be..... dancing

MG

One of Us
Picture of HARDBALLER
posted Hide Post
Madgoat,
Just move to Alaska, I did. then you can just get your sheep "harvest ticket" at Carr's/Safeway or Walmart for free and go hunting. dancing

Posts: 194 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 08 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
First Mt. goat rifle:
Browning BAR .270. Leupold 2-7. Took a 9 1/2 inch nannie at 325 yrds est. 1969. A real "pig" of a rifle for the mtns.
Second Mtn. goat rifle:
Ruger #1A 7x57. Leupold 2.5x8. Unsuccessful, enjoyed a 9 day stalk. Couldn't get in reasonable range. Not a bad rifle, but a little "piggy for the packin'" too.
Bought a Winchester M-70 Featherweight 25wssm last year. Topped it off with a Zeiss 3-9.
Really am impressed with this set-up. Extremely accurate (after some tweeking"). A fantastic handling rifle. LOVE the Super-Short action and cartridge. This would be my choice for another Mtn. goat hunt

"The lady doth protest too much, methinks"
Hamlet III/ii

Posts: 423 | Location: Eastern Washington State | Registered: 16 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Madgoat,
Just move to Alaska, I did. then you can just get your sheep "harvest ticket" at Carr's/Safeway or Walmart for free and go hunting.

Thats just not right. Big Grin

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HARDBALLER:
Madgoat,
Just move to Alaska, I did. then you can just get your sheep "harvest ticket" at Carr's/Safeway or Walmart for free and go hunting. dancing

Eeker Eeker Eeker Eeker

I just applied for a resident mountain goat license the other day. Toughest part, was determining which area to put in for. One had odds of .48% while the other one had .45%.

As for bighorn sheep, I think I should be able to draw a tag in approximately 10 years...don't know if I can hold out for that long!!! CRYBABY

MG

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mine is a composite stocked Model 70 with a detatchable box mag. in 270 win.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use a Lazzeroni L2000 mountain rifle in 8.59 galaxy (.338 short mag) with a 3-12x42 S&B scope. 7.3 lbs, very accurate and lethal.

Posts: 694 | Location: Des Moines, Iowa, USA | Registered: 09 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by bwest:
......... My thought on the weight of the rifle is that it is far more important to worry about the greater weight around your beltline.[QUOTE]
This is the best advice of all!

Posts: 512 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
tikka t3 in .300 wsm. VERY Light and is accurate as hell. Quite an upgrade in the weight department from the Rem. 700 bdl 8mm mag!!!!

Posts: 384 | Location: Tok, Alaska | Registered: 26 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Stock LH Model 70 sporter chambered for the 30-06. Barrel turned to factory featherweight contour and trigger massaged by Bill Leeper. Williams extractor FX II 6X36 in DD's (soon to be talley LW's), and a McMillan EDGE stock. Weighs 7lbs 4oz's.

Posts: 2652 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Well if I was ever fit enough to hunt sheep...it would be this lightweight rifle I had built in 308.

6 2/3 lbs scoped and loaded.

Rem 700 ADL, Leupy 2.5x8, Lone Wolf Stock, #2 Contour fluted 22 bbl, aluminum shroud, skelton bolt handle, fluted bolted handle, titanium I think firing pin.

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10055 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I was a sheep or goat hunter I'd look around for a 03-A4.

One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
I've gotta say, the "Sheep Gun" just may be the most overrated rifle category around. Truth of the matter is carrying a rifle in an average alpine enviroment after sheep is easier than the average Northern Rockies public ground elk hunt.

Chuck, I sure like you rifle! What a beauty...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Brad, did I mention it was my Whitetail, Mule Deer, Pronghorn, Moose, Elk, and bear gun as well. Wink I think you knew that though. In fact, there is a bunch of black fur in that tarp. Funny enough, a couple of days after wacking that Black Bear on a sheep hunt, I watched a Ram wander within 15 feet of where the bear met his end. You just gotta love the Rockies!

Chuck

Posts: 2652 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
Chuck you forgot to mention it's a "truck gun", "coyote gun" and beer can gun" too... I've got one of those myself (grins).

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use a Remington 700 synthetic stocked 308 that wears a 2.5x8 Leupold for all my backpack hunts. I'd love a new, shiny lightweight Remington Titanium in 7mm mag, but feel it would be just plain wrong! I've been using the 308 for too long to ever consider retiring it.

Having never hunted sheep, can someone explain to me just how hard sheep contry really is? I've hunted tahr and wapiti in some mountains in New Zealand that has left me in a cold sweat. In my limited experience, it seems much of NZ goes straight up, or straight down. Unfortunately it hasn't got many flat bits - well that how I remember some of my hunters.

Posts: 162 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 31 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Ruger #1 in .280 Remington

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
average Northern Rockies public ground elk hunt.

Big Grin I assume you mean Southern Rockies, eh? Wink

Cheers,
Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
Ok, Central Rockies :grin:

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Having never hunted sheep, can someone explain to me just how hard sheep contry really is?

It varies considerably. But you are in the mountains, and the sheep can use every part of them. I had to quit rams, on more than one occasion, this year as they went where following required climbing gear.

Here is one picture from this year.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah its not just that you are carrying a rifle its the light 45lb pack your carrying in and the potentially 125Lb pack your carrying out. Its nice to have a rifle that is light just like the rest of the gear you have selected.

Posts: 170 | Location: Interior Alaska | Registered: 08 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ok hunter:
I will be headed for a Alaskan Sheep hunt and was thinking of using a Kimber Montana in 7mm-08. What's your Sheep gun??

That is a great gun and caliber...if I was going I would pack my .270 Win or my .270 WSM both with 130 grn. bullets

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
chuck nelson;

nice set up and nice view. hope you had a good time. cheers

Cold Zero

posted Hide Post
My pet sheep rifle is a custom Rem 700 ADL in 6.5-06. Brown's Precision kevlar stock, 24" barrel, timney trigger, weaver stainless rings and bases with M8-6X Leupold. It hucks a 140gn partition at 3050fps. If you look closely at the photo at the top of the page you can just see the end of the barrel.

Keep the wind in your face....

Iceman

Posts: 21 | Location: Canadian Rockies | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
AlaskaCub your pic's are killin' me! I like to ski in the winter, but been looking forward to summer and hunting since last hunting season ended. Your photo's look just like the alpine terrain I fish and hunt in here in CO. It doesn't help that I bought a dirt bike two weeks ago either. Thanks for sharing your pic's.

Posts: 866 | Location: Western CO | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cobrad:
AlaskaCub your pic's are killin' me! I like to ski in the winter, but been looking forward to summer and hunting since last hunting season ended. Your photo's look just like the alpine terrain I fish and hunt in here in CO. It doesn't help that I bought a dirt bike two weeks ago either. Thanks for sharing your pic's.

Yeah them pics are killin me too, cuz life outside dont look anything like it does in them pics right now!!!BURRRRRR

Posts: 170 | Location: Interior Alaska | Registered: 08 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In my 2004 Alps trip I carried 182lbs and a 6.5lb 6.5x57R Blaser K95. In 2007 I carry 172lbs and an 8.5lb 243 Sako AII. The weight loss results from my refound love of running, the weight gain from my dislike of aiming light rifles at expensive trophies while my heart pounds.

I go back in 2008 and will carry the Sako in a light weight top fastening canvas slip until the animal is spotted and the stalk commences.

Gone is my loden roe sac replaced with my ex army bergen with waist strap and liner to take the yearlings I hope to shoot.

I like to think I learn from experience!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I had a full-length stock 1961 MCA Mannlicher-Schoenauer carbine in .270 Win that I took to the Brooks Range for Dall sheep a few years ago. That was a cool sheep gun. Sold it though.

I think a new Steyr Scout in .308 Win with the 2.5 power forward-mounted Leupold scope would make a great sheep gun now.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Posts: 691 | Location: UTC+8 | Registered: 21 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mine is a well used but highly accurate Husqvarna HVA in 7X57 AKLY with a 3.5X10 older Leupold. The checkering is worn smooth, and except for the improved chambering, the rifle is unaltered in every way. I took a nice desert with it years ago and a Montana goat with it MANY years ago (scoped with a Weaver K-4). Countless speed-goats have fallen to it. I clean it once a year, whether it needs it or not, and I won't be doing anything else but that to it. It ain't broke, so I won't fix it.

Posts: 1765 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a fabulous rifle!

Chuck