New
Find
Notify
Tools

Whats your Sheep gun ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I will be headed for a Alaskan Sheep hunt and was thinking of using a Kimber Montana in 7mm-08. What's your Sheep gun??

Don't let your fears get in the way of your dreams

Posts: 141 | Location: Oklahoma City | Registered: 20 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kimber 8400 Montana 270WSM - very happy with it!

one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Swarovski:
Kimber 8400 Montana 270WSM - very happy with it!
Mine too, great little gun, under 7.5lbs with a Swarovski 3-10x42, Tally lightweight mounts and 3-rounds. The sheep guides were all very enthusiastic reg the .270WSM. The guy I hunted with used a Savage (also in .270WSM) on his sheep and caribou, and this looked like a fine gun and it shot surprisingly well (at least in his hands).

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
.300 Winnie ultralight, built by MG Arms. 5.5 lbs, scopped (Leupold Vari X III 3.5x10) and loaded with 3 shells. A .25 moa for three rounds. Wink

Posts: 318 | Location: No. California | Registered: 19 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like my Ruger 77 in 7x57. Nothing new and fancy, but deadly accurate.

Posts: 512 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Model 70 Featherweight in .280 Rem with Leupold 3.5x10x40 with wood stock. Very simple and accurate.

Posts: 10147 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of M70Nut
posted Hide Post
Mine is a M70 270 with a Leupold Vari X III 3.5x10x40, wife is shooting a Kimber 84M Classic in 7mm-08 with a Leupold FX II 6x36. Her rifle is so light I may have to buy one for myself!

"We band of 45-70'ers"

Posts: 845 | Location: S.C. Alaska | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
My favorite was a Sako Forester .243 but I loaned it to a friend then let her have it for some reason or another. Now aa pre-64 mod 70 in 30 Gibbs with a 3-9 Leupold in Buelher mts. 165 Hornady @3000fps moa groups.

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1409 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My newest sheep and everything else gun, Kimber Montana 300 WSM topped with a Leupy VX-III 3.5-10x40.

Posts: 170 | Location: Interior Alaska | Registered: 08 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mine's a Montana in 300WSM....

Posts: 47 | Location: North Pole Alaska | Registered: 05 April 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Customized Rem 700 ADL in 6.5 Gibbs. Skeletonized bolt and action turned and nickel plated. 24" #1 contour Douglas stainless barrel. PRI synthetic stock. Fixed 6x Leupold M8 scope. Weighs in just shy of 7.5lbs, loaded and fully dressed. Shoots a 140gr bullet at 3050 fps.

If I was to do it over again, I'd seriously consider a Kimber Montana in 270 WSM. Unfortunately there was no such thing when I had my sheep rifle built.

Cheers,
Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by EB:
.300 Winnie ultralight, built by MG Arms. 5.5 lbs, scopped (Leupold Vari X III 3.5x10) and loaded with 3 shells. A .25 moa for three rounds. Wink

EB,

Could you please talk a little more about this catdaddy and maybe a few pics, please. Sure would like to know more. What you have is near perfection by my reckoning.

Tell us more and show us more. Would appreciate it and thanks.

Dungbeetle

Posts: 1370 | Location: Home but going back. | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
I killed this ram with my Remington 700 Mountain Rifle in 30-06.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4779 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
7 mm stw with factory Winchester Ballistis tip

Posts: 20 | Location: Florida | Registered: 12 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of KC Carlin
posted Hide Post
A Remington Model 7 Stainless synthetic in 7mmSAUM. Leupold 3.5 X 10

Posts: 295 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 24 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dungbeetle:
quote:
Originally posted by EB:

EB,

Could you please talk a little more about this catdaddy and maybe a few pics, please. Sure would like to know more. What you have is near perfection by my reckoning.

Dungbeetle

Dungbeetle, The website for MG Arms is mgarmsinc.com. Unfortunately, I don't have a picture, probably should, but consider it a tool more than a piece of art. The gun is built on a skelotonized Rem. 700 action (you can have it built on model 70 action, but it's heavier), with a SS Match barrel, jewel trigger and kevlar stock, trigger guard is aluminum, etc. etc. I think they build great guns and have another one - a .338 RUM, which is the same, only with a non kevlar stock which, along with a bigger and slightly heavier barrel puts it at 7 lbs all in, which is fine given the caliber and the recoil. Both guns have very effective brakes and great recoil pads and I've shot the .300 (but not the .338) with the brake removed and it's not that bad recoil wise although the muzzle jump is a bit more. Actually, I may have a picture that has the gun in it, from an elk hunt last year where we were quite successful. I will find it and send it along. Someone on this site posted that they had a problem with an MG Arms gun, but it seemed it was more about the "paint job" on the stock, which he found to be below standard and eventually sent the gun back. Seems the gun shot great, but he didn't like the looks. Personally I don't really care what the camo job looks like (they are fine btw) so long as this type of gun is dependable and shoots like hell.

Posts: 318 | Location: No. California | Registered: 19 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buffybr
posted Hide Post
.257 AI on a Mauser Mark X with a Leupold 6X. 117 gr Sierras at 3000 fps. Four shots, four sheep (3 bighorns, 1 Dall), all dropped in their tracks.

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 1632 | Location: Boz Angeles, MT | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Remington 700 Titanium in .308 Win
Zeiss 3.5-10 X 44
6lb 4oz loaded.
150g Federals

Very nice package.

Posts: 15 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 23 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dungbeetle:
quote:
Originally posted by EB:

EB,

Dungbeetle

DB, I'm a bit technologically challenged on the uploading picture front, but if you pm me with an e-mail address I will forward some pics that show the .300. Take care, EB

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Browning Titanium in 300 WSM, 6 3/4 all ready to go,

Posts: 186 | Location: langley,BC | Registered: 07 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My wife bought me a nice little rifle for sheep last year that I plan on trying out next year.

ultimate shadow in 300wizzum with some bbl work done (to try and lighten it up) topped with a weaver 3x9. Not something I would pick but I'm sure it will work.

A lesson in irony

The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing this year the greatest amount of free Meals and Food Stamps ever, to 46 million people.

Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us... "Please Do Not Feed the Animals." Their stated reason for the policy is because "The animals will grow dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."

Thus ends today's lesson in irony.

Posts: 1626 | Location: Michigan but dreaming of my home in AK | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If I were going on a sheep hunt I'd use my 257 WBY with the 117gr bullets going 3323 FPS. I would sight her in at about 250yds and go from there.

Posts: 2209 | Location: Delaware | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I ordered a rifle from MG Arms two years ago. When it showed up the stock work looked like an apprentices project, and a bad one at that. There was also a huge burr left in the action port from the skeletonizing. Accuracy was 1.5 moa. I sent it back and it was returned looking like the same apprentice had tried to fix the stock. After I contacted them about it, the owner stopped taking my calls or returning my messages. I was hoping to find a mutually acceptable resolution. I ended up getting my money back through my credit card company. It took a year. The rifle was wonderfully light and balanced great, and had a nice paint job, but workmanship on the stock was unbelieveable and conflict resolution was just as bad. I replaced it with a Kimber .300 WSM that cost 1/3 as much, shoots sub-moa, and has a stock far superior to the MGA rifle.

Posts: 866 | Location: Western CO | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cobrad, Sorry to hear that. When you say the "stock" work was bad, are you talking about the bedding or was the exterior chipped, etc. I think that the non-kevlar stocks they use are softer and prone to slight chipping. I will also admit that there was a slight burr under the trigger guard on the second rifle I bought from them...that I simply took care of myself, since as with most stainless guns they are simply tefloned and painted with ultra flat black paint. The bottom line for me with Carrie's guns is that they "are" wonderfully light, superbly balanced, virtually impervious to the elements (especially if you use the right stuff like Break Free CLP or Eezox) and the two that I have shoot like hell, the .338 RUM is virtually a one hole gun; when I'm in the scree in a foot of snow at the top of some god awful Mt in Alaska, Canada or the Middle Fork of the Salmon I just want them to do the job the best it can be done and not have killed me in the process of getting up there. I also don't know many guys who have spent much time sheep hunting with a rifle who haven't dinged it up somehow (hopefully not too badly), so for me a sheep and mountain rifle is about weight, balance, accuracy and dependability in all circumstances and those two guns fit the bill.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I didn't bother pulling the action out of the stock to look at the bedding. The stock looked like someone had took to it with a belt sander and hogged off slabs of material. The forearm had a belly in it that rounded up toward the tip for 5", it was far thicker on one side of the barrel channel than the other, the entire forearm was lopsided in cross section, and it would not feed from the magazine. When it was returned it had been sanded on even more, but with no improvement other than the stock was now equally thin on both sides of the barrel channel and would feed. In addition there were new scrapes to the finish on the scope and muzzle break, a windage screw on the rear scope base had a mangled slot, the stock on both sides of the action had been wallowed out and there irregular gaps between action and stock, and there were a couple of small dents in the stock. Quite frankly I was appalled that a "custom" rifle would be sent out of the shop looking like that. I had asked that it at least be brought up to the standards one might expect of a factory stock. I'm sure this is not the quality MGA was built on, but after speaking with Kerry himself and getting a rifle like this back, I am at a loss as to what to think about MGA, except that they will not build anything for me again.

Posts: 866 | Location: Western CO | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow, based on all that, I don't blame you.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I ever get to go my 270 Win.Weatherby Ultra Lightweight with 2.5x10 Leupold VXIII in Talley rings.This gun is very light and shoots better than I can.

It's always so quiet when the goldfish die.(Bror Blixen)

DRSS
Merkel 470 NE

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hunt with a Matchgrade Arms, ultralight in .300 w.m., R700 action and trigger, 24" lothar walther barrel, kevlar stock, blind magazine, Zeiss American 3.5-10x 44mm. I have taken numerous animals in ak. and elsewhere with it.

Cold Zero

one of us
posted Hide Post
Remington 700 in a 308Win. It's an ADL in a mountain rifle stock. Wears a 4.75 Weaver Grand Slam.

Posts: 178 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 07 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mine is a Remington based action in a short throated 340 with a custom carbon wrapped gain twist barell, Gun weighs 8.5 pounds with a nightforce 5.5 - 22 scope and bipods fully loaded. 185 grain Barns triple shock @ 3500fps

Posts: 82 | Location: Millarville, Alberta | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have a Remington 700 Titanium 7mm Rem SAUM.
I had the J lock removed and a light weight bolt shroud and a lighter trigger guard added.It has a Leupold 6x42 in Talley light weight mounts.Really like the way it shoots and carries.

Posts: 1 | Location: Meadow Lakes , Alaska | Registered: 23 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
Weatherby Fibermark in 300 WBY or Sauer 202 Synthetic in 270 Win. Lou

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3313 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Even though i have never shot a sheep and probably wont ever the calibre i would like best for it is the 270 weatherby ! though i have shot many roos with it and it really impressed me for its long range ability and killing power i dont think you need a 30 for sheep just my op

Posts: 175 | Location: australia | Registered: 14 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would not quibble with you on the .270 Weatherby all things considered. I have used one for years, unfortunately, built with a beautiful western maple stock and based on an old FN .270 Winchester, rechambered, with the old heavy barrel, mine is superbly accurate, but too nice and a tad too heavy for hard core sheep hunting. It's a perfect long range mule deer or antelope gun though. Although I agree that you don't necessarily need a .30 for sheep, I had my "sheep gun" built in .300 Win because there is always a chance in Alaska or Canada that you may encounter a bruin in an uncomfortable situation that is a tad larger than a sheep and it also gives you another gun that you can use for Elk and moose.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mine is a godawful heavy .300 Win Mag (Tikka), topped with a 6x42 S&B scope. I keep telling myself I need something lighter. Maybe after I have finished the .416. I'm thinking a nice lightweight .270 or something of the sort.

Frans

Posts: 1717 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My "go to" sheep/caribou rifle is my pre-64 Mod. 70, .270 Win. I get almost 2940 fps with a 150 gr. Partition and accuracy is well under an inch. My scope is a Leupold, 2x-7. I've restocked this rifle with an H-S Precision fiberglass stock since I didn't want to take chances in dinging up the original. Yup! H-S doesn't make a fiberglass stock for a pre-64 (that I know of) but my gunsmith was able to get it to work just fine.
I'm very satisfied with this rig.
Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I may not live long enough to draw a sheep, or goat, tag here in CO, but for the past couple of years I have been toying with the idea of a Kimber 7-08 rechambered to .284. I have also come dangerously close to ordering a Rifles Inc., you know, just in case. Big Grin

Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mine is a godawful heavy .300 Win Mag (Tikka), topped with a 6x42 S&B scope. I keep telling myself I need something lighter

Frans, my gawdawful heavy 300 WM came with me on exactly one 7-day backpack sheep hunt. I did get my first stone on the trip, but that was the very last time that rifle went on an extended backpack trip. My buddy had a lightweight 6.5-06 on the same trip and it sold me. Thats when I had my 6.5 Gibbs built for me.

Cheers,
Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
30/378 Weatherby with 6.5x20 Leupold. 165gr Nosler Partitions.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Canuck:
Frans, my gawdawful heavy 300 WM came with me on exactly one 7-day backpack sheep hunt.[...] My buddy had a lightweight 6.5-06 on the same trip and it sold me. Thats when I had my 6.5 Gibbs built for me.

So what options does a poor bloke have? I once ogled a Tikka T3 Lite or something like that anyway... that would be within my budget, and relatively light. C$720 or so at SIR. Don't tell the wife, I still need to pay some taxidermy and gun smithing! Frowner

Frans

Posts: 1717 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote