Whats your Sheep gun ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
WOW!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
7MM STW with Kelby action, Shilen Barrel and McMillan stock. .168 Grain Bergers.

Posts: 1194 | Location: Billings,MT | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by waterrat:

Here's another ram from the same drainage a week later.

What drainage did you say that was? Big Grin

I suspect it was at the headwaters of Notellum Creek... Wink

Posts: 1508 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did draw a sheep tag this year in Idaho!!
so I will likely use my old trusty 300winmag ruger--it "ain't pritty hilbily" but it gets the job done
I thinking of buying a custom rifle but the lay-out time is to long for this hunt---starting Aug 30

might consider restocking my ruger if I find a cool light-weight stock that will allow a ruger "drop in"

nothin sweeter than the smell of fresh blood on your hunting boots

Posts: 746 | Location: don't know--Lost my GPS | Registered: 10 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What about a 6.5x55 swede cz fitted with a synthetic stock for a sheep gun? My sheep/goat experience is limited to aoudad hunting in the palo duro canyon in the Texas Panhandle... a different deal all together. Do have experience elk hunting in Co.; also a different deal.

What do you mountain guys think on this rig... not trying to steal the thread, as that will be my sheep gun. Old rig is a submoa 300 weatherby with a stainless barrel and synthetic stock.

"Sometimes nothing can be a pretty cool hand."

470 Heym; 9.3x74r Chapuis, Heym 450/400 on it's way

Posts: 653 | Location: austin, texas | Registered: 23 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Those dalls are some beauties! I'm headed out this Aug. to the NWT for one. I'll be taking two rifles this time - a Bansner custom 300 WSM with a Sako 300 WSM as a backup. Both are topped with Swaro scopes.
Never thought of the need for a backup rifle until I spoke with someone who accidentally dropped his from high up a cliff and it broke in half. Poor guy had to go to the nearest town and buy a new one. That and it doesn't cost any more to transport a second rifle.

quickshot - congrats on drawing that tag!

Posts: 3456 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 17 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nevada Wapati
posted Hide Post
I drew a Desert Bighorn tag for Nevada this year and will be taking my Sako 7mm. I just can't beat the long range knock down and flat trajectory.

Posts: 385 | Location: Carson City | Registered: 17 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anyone used the Browning A-bolt mountain Titanium??
in a 300WSM it weights a mere 5lbs. 8oz with a 23in barrel
that is one of the lightest rifles I have come across Big Grin

Kimber Montana is at 5lbs. 2oz but has a 22in barrel and 308 cal---no 300WSM or win mag Frowner

Posts: 746 | Location: don't know--Lost my GPS | Registered: 10 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GrayDuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by quickshot:

Kimber Montana is at 5lbs. 2oz but has a 22in barrel and 308 cal---no 300WSM or win mag Frowner

Kimber makes the Montana in both 300 WSM and 300 Win Mag but they are both over 6 lbs. The short mag is the lighter of the two. probably the shorter action.

"The best laid plans of mice and men often go awry" - Robert Burns

Posts: 226 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 30 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mine is a Rifles, Inc. Strata in .300 Win.built by Lex Webernick. I've taken a Dall, Bighorn and Mountain Goat with it.Lex is a world renowned rifle builder with a tremendous amount of hunting experience.

Posts: 155 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 30 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My sheep rig changed too! I finally got over my frugal gene, and bought a Sako A7 stainless, in .270Win. Leupold 2.5-8x36 VX-3, with Talley lightweight mounts. Difference of night and day with my old Tikka M65.

I haven't fired it yet. Can't wait!

Frans

Posts: 1717 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nevada Wapati:
I drew a Desert Bighorn tag for Nevada this year...

WOW! That justifies a lot bigger post than just those two lines!!

I'm down five knocks on that one, but I guess every year the chances increase.

Frans

Posts: 1717 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by waterrat:
SG Yea he's a dandy,

Waterrat, those are great rams! Look at the length and the mass carried towards the end. [is there an emoticon for "envy"? If so, please insert here]

Frans

One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
.... IMO ..Waterat is the go to guy for Dall Sheep .. , Well prolly everything that can be hunted in Alaska ...Keeps the packers hoppin ......

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nevada and I know this.. " The Force Will Be With Us" this year...
AK

Posts: 16798 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 21 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
well reading this thread got me looking around at few ultra light rifles.
I was planning on using my old ruger but a sheep hunt is a damn good excuse to buy another rifle ---needed or not!! dancing

I didn't let this excuse go to waste! I found ultra-light weatherby 300winmag at a close-out price-$1100.00----------she's mine now. I will be under 7 pounds scoped and loaded!
this should be fun clap

Your OFFICIAL EXCUSE FORM:
Now if I could draw a ____________(fill in blank) TAG;
I could buy another rifle in ____________(fill in blank)caliber/brand. rotflmo

One of Us
Picture of AKsheephunter
posted Hide Post
Heres an update:

my sheep rifle is a Remington Alaskan Ti in .280 loaded still under 7 pounds also.

Posts: 552 | Location: Brooks Range , Alaska | Registered: 14 March 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by quickshot:

I have a A-bolt titanium in 7wsm with a leupold 4.5-14, everything and loaded is under 7 pounds.

Posts: 1 | Location: Wa | Registered: 28 October 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of us_dragunov
posted Hide Post
I just got back a few weeks ago from a Tur (look it up Wink) hunt in Russia. We were high up in the mountains in some extremely difficult yet beautiful terrain. The guns carried:

Saiga-223
Saiga-MK in 7.62x39
Saiga-308
SKS

All Saigas had folding stocks.
The Saiga-MK had a EOTECH optic on it.
The SKS had a Leupold scope.
The other two Saigas had iron sights only.

Our Tur was taken with a single shot from the Saiga-MK from about 150m.

Average price of rifle was probably close to $600. Cool

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I were ever lucky enough to draw anything more than the middle finger here in Nevada I would use my .280 Ackley Improved

Posts: 743 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: 23 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 458Lottfan
posted Hide Post
My new Mnt Goat rifle for my Kodiak hunt is a .375 Ruger shooting 260 grain Nosler Acubonds. It only drops 22.6 inches at 400 yards and has enough horse power to tackle and unwanted encounter with a Kodiak Brown Bear. If I was hunting the interior hunt I would probably take my .300 WSM. In 05 I was packing a Goat through the Alders on Kodiak and thinking I wanted a little bigger rifle in that close of quarters.

Posts: 583 | Location: Mesa, AZ | Registered: 08 May 2006Reply With Quote