Notify
Tools

Blue Dot mishap
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted
Here's one situation seafire didn't warn me about:

A local shooter burns up quite a bit of .223 Rem ammo every year, and he also uses his bull-barreled rifle to head-shoot nuisance hogs on his property. I had mentioned my BD loads that seafire so kindly got me started with a few years back, so he wanted to check them out.

We loaded up a few for his rifle, and the first 3 shots clustered into a group just barely over 0.5" c-t-c at 100 yards. He adjusted the elevation and fired another group that was virtually identical to the first.

He was immediately sold on the the accuracy, low report and the economy of these loads. Of course, he mentioned he had no Blue Dot on the shelf and would be a while before he got to town, so I offered up my last can. He promised to load just a couple boxes and bring back the rest of the powder.

To make a long story short, I am not getting back the Blue Dot. He loaded nearly ALL of it that same night.

Now I am out of the powder, but he promises to bring some replacement "very soon."

Just letting you know, seafire, that you have yet another convert out there reaping the benefits of the Blue Dot loadings...

Of course, it cost me a can of powder Big Grin

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9336 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Please tell us about the loading info...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
--12 grains Blue Dot
--Rem 7 1/2 primer
--Rem 50 grain PLHPs
--Hornady/Frontier brass trimmed to length, chamfered & deburred

I gave him the printout, so I don't have the seating depth or the velocity figures available.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9336 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bobby Tomek:

--12 grains Blue Dot

How well does that fill the case?

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bobby, THANK GOODNESS the report wasn't about some unfathomably terrible accident!! You had us all worried! at 12 grains/shell, your friend could have loaded up 583 rounds with that 1 pound of powder!(and for the "bean counters" out there that is $.04/round plus the cost of the bullet which is $.12/round and we'll use $.035 for the cost of the primers for a cost per round of $.195/round or less than $4.00 for a box of 20!! Or $20.00/100.) Regardless of the $$ I still like to run the 17HMR and not have to pick up brass or reload in bulk!! And my time is worth about $35.00/hour according to my company. Wink Smiler If he loaded it all up in one night, I hope he has a Dillon!! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin GHD

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
BD is fairly bulky and fills the case well enough to afford extremely low velocity spreads and accuracy that has to be seen to be appreciated. I'm leaving in a bit for our 6 year-old son's surgery, so if you want an actaul percentage, I'll have to do that once we return.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
GHD-

Good to hear from you!

He does have a progressive and a loading room filled with tons of goodies, but I'd almost be willing to bet those loads were put together on his old RockChucker. The can wasn't full, but he did tell me he loaded up a little over 300 rounds.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

one of us
posted Hide Post
My best wishes for your son's soon and complete recovery.

Posts: 8211 | Location: Germany | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of daniel77
posted Hide Post
+1 Ya'll are in our prayers Bobby.

Posts: 3628 | Location: cajun country | Registered: 04 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
BD is fairly bulky and fills the case well enough to afford extremely low velocity spreads and accuracy that has to be seen to be appreciated. ...
Mostly incorrect!

But you do get the opportunity to totally lock-up your rifle. Or perhaps you would prefer the total Ka-Boom Blue Dot Loads.

Excellent way to create Scrap for the WAR effort. tu2

The following statement is in 100% compliance with the thought-police:

If ANYONE wants to try it, by all means do so.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I gave him the printout, so I don't have the seating depth or the velocity figures available.

You probably won't get that back either.

quote:
Ignored post by Hot Core posted Jul 14, 10 08:25

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Eden
posted Hide Post
I have shot Blue Dot in my 223, with the same results as you guys. although I believe I am loading 11 grains. As usual Hot Core's got to chime in here! He must assume, and you know what assume is, "makes an ass out of u and me"', that we all don't pay attention to our loading practice. For crying out load, you can do the same with Bullseye in a 38 Special, or a variety of other pistol cartridges. If case volume is a concern, try SR4759.

Jerry

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 1297 | Location: Chandler arizona | Registered: 29 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Well stated, Jerry. tu2

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

One of Us
Picture of Slowpoke Slim
posted Hide Post
Bobby,

Prayers and best wishes for your son.

P.S.--Please stop feeding the TROLLS!

Si tantum EGO eram dimidium ut bonus ut EGO memor

Posts: 1146 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: 31 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Slowpoke Slim- I need a "No feeding tolls" sign above my monitor lately it seems... Big Grin

As to Grady, thanks to all for the prayers. He came through just fine this morning but now will have to strictly limit his actively for the next month. For an active 6 year-old with an equally-active twin brother, that is going to be TOUGH...

His next surgery will be a bit more complicated when they have to go in and re-do the length of the tubing for his 2 VP shunts.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used Blue Dot and will continue to use it, but for low-speed loads its safer to use Trail Boss.

Posts: 2268 | Location: Westchester, NY, USA | Registered: 02 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
quote:
--12 grains Blue Dot
--Rem 7 1/2 primer
--Rem 50 grain PLHPs
--Hornady/Frontier brass trimmed to length, chamfered & deburred

I will print out this one for my XR-100.

Remember Bobby no good deed goes unpunished.

I will pray for a speedy recovery for your son.

Swede

---------------------------------------------------------
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Eden:
As usual Hot Core's got to chime in here! He must assume, and you know what assume is, "makes an ass out of u and me"', that we all don't pay attention to our loading practice.
There is simply no way to tell you how " HAPPY " it makes me to see you and bobbiee using Reduced Blue Dot Loads. tu2
-----

rotflmo animal rotflmo

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Eden
posted Hide Post
I also use Unique in 30-30, Sr4759 in 30-06, and even IMR4064, yes with a kapock filler in the 375 H&H, with hard cast lead bullets. Do you really know anything about anything, Hot Core?

While my tendancy here is to let you have it, I am going to follow The Lord's teaching, and keep it to myself.

Jerry

Posts: 1297 | Location: Chandler arizona | Registered: 29 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep, the BlueDot trolls are pretty tedious. Rather than let the happy users of BD alone, they just have to tout their tired litany.

I suppose if I posted that I prefered red-headed women, they'd have to respond that my offspring would be retarded, have one eye and six webbed fingers on each hand......

Posts: 677 | Location: Arizona USA | Registered: 22 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't wish to get involved in the BD struggle for power and am sure most already know this but I noticed that IMR publish reduced load data using Trail Boss. They also provide a procedure for producing safe loads for cartridges that they don't publish data for. So, there is no published 223 load but you could easily create one. I hope this info is useful to someone:

http://www.imrpowder.com/PDF/Trail-Boss-data.pdf

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've produced loads for a dozen cartridges not listed for it, their formula works well.

quote:
Originally posted by caorach:
I don't wish to get involved in the BD struggle for power and am sure most already know this but I noticed that IMR publish reduced load data using Trail Boss. They also provide a procedure for producing safe loads for cartridges that they don't publish data for. So, there is no published 223 load but you could easily create one. I hope this info is useful to someone:

Posts: 2268 | Location: Westchester, NY, USA | Registered: 02 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eurocentric:
I've produced loads for a dozen cartridges not listed for it, their formula works well.

quote:
Originally posted by caorach:

Excellent posts by both.

The problems are:
1. The intellect level of those using Reduced Blue Dot Loads is such that they are completely unable to learn from the examples previously given.
2. They have no ability to understand what Erratic Pressure Indications are.
3. They are totally unable to comprehend that when the highly esteemed Dr. Oehler explained – there can be a 50% increase in Pressure simply due to Powder position, not only applies to the Pistol Case, but any Case where the Powder is not at an optimum Bulk.

For those using Reduced Blue Dot Loads, The following statement is in 100% compliance with the thought-police: rotflmo animal rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hot Core:
There is simply no way to tell you how " HAPPY " it makes me to see you and bobbiee using Reduced Blue Dot Loads. tu2
-----

yuck

Now that's funny as hell!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
For those using Reduced Blue Dot Loads, The following statement is in 100% compliance with the thought-police:

Hey Hot Core: who's policing your thoughts? Whoever is supposed to be is apparently in a doughnut shop somewhere...

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Eden
posted Hide Post
Cold Core, You are not using the correct terminology when referring to the Blue dot Loads, they are "NOT REDUCED LOADS" they are reduced velocity loads. Reduced load, referes to a diminished powder charge with a particular powder. You better check your lexicon boy! Funny how much data their is available from respected sources, who publish data for "reduced velocity loads" with various shotgun and pistol powders. By your line of thinking this should all be disregarded. Forget all the science associated with it. This must all be like your ELK experience!

Jerry

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Cold Core

Boy you really Whammed him!

Hey everybody! Watch out for that creative, original Jerry! He'll really show you what for verbally!

rotflmo

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
I found a great use for the ignore button, and it has miraculously wiped away posts from 2 of the biggest jerks on this site: Hot Core and rcamuglia.

What a great little feature to have...

Thanks, Saeed! beer

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for noticing my post.

I thought the "ignore" button was to do just that

Goober Boy.... Big Grin

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doubless:
[Hey Hot Core: who's policing your thoughts? ...
That would be "my buddy" Ted Thorn. He does his best to keep me on the straight and narrow....and say things in a "nice" way. clap
-----

Realllly REALLLLLY glad to see jerriee "defending" (animal) his use of Reduced Blue Dot Loads. Speaks volumes for his intellect. And of course, I fully support jerriee's use of them and strongly encourage jerriee to provide Reduced Blue Dot Loads for his entire family.
-----

NOTE: - For all the Beginners and ANYONE with any common sense, stay completely AWAY from Reduced Blue Dot Loads - it is just a matter of time before we hear of Reduced Blue Dot Load Ka-Boom number 3.

There is nothing at all wrong with using Reduced Loads when they are found in a Manual, which means they have been thoroughly Tested on $$$Millions$$$ worth of various Pressure Testing devices(including good old never fail CHE & PRE Big Grin). But, when the Alliant Rep(Ben Amonette - in the initial link) says it is a bad idea - IT IS A BAD IDEA! By the way, you can see Ben on page 185 of Speer Manual #14.

rotflmo animal rotflmo which would be " AT " jerriee, not with him!

One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
quote:
I found a great use for the ignore button, and it has miraculously wiped away posts from 2 of the biggest jerks on this site: Hot Core and rcamuglia.

What a great little feature to have...

Thanks, Saeed! beer

Good move Bobby, I have done the same.
I like Homebrewer's little guy laughing at those on his ignore list.

Should be putting my first BD loads from my 20 VarTarg down range in a couple of weeks. Will bring results to the forum then.

Von Gruff.

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2685 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
rcamuglia
one of us

Posted 15 July 2010 16:13 Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bobby tomek:

Blah blah blah CRYBABY blah blah balah CRYBABY here's a big fat softball for you to hit out of the park...blah blah CRYBABY blah!

R

One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
My thoughts on this whole topic, including the two referenced threads, are; you've spent somewhere between $300 and $1500 for a rifle and about the same amount in loading equipment. So to optimize this investment you're going to cheap out on a poor powder choice that could destroy your rifle and cause harm to yourself. Just buy a bolt action .22 Magnum. Wait that might be too much recoil, better put Long Rifles in it.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Bobby Tomek,

If you came to my place in S. Arkansas I would give you about .5 lb. BD as I have plenty.

I really like that Pentax Whitetails Unlimited scope you sold me. Thanks.

And your son and family will be in my prayers tonight.

Highest Regards, Merg

Posts: 351 | Registered: 18 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Eden
posted Hide Post
It's amazing to me, all the bitching going on about Blue Dot. Now I have no proof, but I'll bet the 3 guys who are bad mouthing these loads, and saying they had locked up, or blown up rifles, phucked up in their loading practice. I am sick of this crap!!Been loading ammo since the 60's, and I have never blown a firearm up, with any load. But I have seen a few, and every time, it was a guy filling an 06 case with 2400, he told me, as I picked up the bolt 10 yards behind him, that the powder can said "rifle powder". Or the guy who had to use triplex loads in his 45 Colt, which had the top strap blown off. You nay sayers have got to understand, I don't give a hoot if you or anyone else uses anything I do, and Hot Core that applies to the fantastic 270 Winchester, but for me they work, and always have. Discussion over!!

Jerry

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Eden:
...I don't give a hoot if you or anyone else uses anything I do, and Hot Core that applies to the fantastic 270 Winchester, but for me they work, and always have. Discussion over!!
Hey jerriee, You do seem to be a bit "on edge", "stressed out", or just plain old "upset". Huuummm...

Well, if it helps(or even if it doesn't) rotflmo animal rotflmo which is "AT" you, not with you.

Surely you are using Reduced Blue Dot Loads in your (rag) 270Win to Kill the 300# Elk while using 20-30 shots apiece. Or, in your infinite wisdom, have you gone to a 22cal with the Reduced Blue Dot Loads for Elk?

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ignored post by Hot Core posted Jul 16, 10 09:18

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Eden
posted Hide Post
Facts are facts, I just stated them.

Jerry

one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Hot Core, you can't imagine how much it pains me to agree with you that there are better solutions for reduced velocity loads than shotgun powders -- and I have fired several thousand of them.

That doesn't change the fact you are now, and have been since the days of the "Shooters" forum, the single biggest waste of bandwith and oxygen in the firearms community. FWIW, Dutch.

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly dog.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Dutch wrote:

quote:
Hot Core...that doesn't change the fact you are now, and have been since the days of the "Shooters" forum, the single biggest waste of bandwith and oxygen in the firearms community.

---
Well-stated, Dutch!!!
jumping jumping jumping jumping jumping jumping

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ