Find
Notify
Tools

more pig pics
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
wit: just adapting to the climate...

KB: No, who likes rap? A lot of white americans however seem to appreciate the....african american culture....

killpc

fat chicks inc.

Posts: 475 | Location: Belgien | Registered: 01 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kabluewy:
Unrelated???
I really loathe rap. Uhhhh thumbdown aarrgg, gaggakk, barfff, wofff, wofff.
KB

sknarff, putzz, gag-a-magot, kerputz, zeeend.

Gollybeaver, somebody please post some pictures of dead hogs.

KB

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Posts: 12818 | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Dead hogs yes! But none with hurt feelings, please....... Big Grin

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brando
posted Hide Post
Im not one to stand on a soap box and preach, im all about hunting and all for hunters rights.

But dog hunting I dont believe is very "sporting" at all. and it is cruel in every since. Just because a pig is a pig doesnt mean it doesnt react to pain.

Put yourself in the pigs position. ALl you know how to do is eat and breed. So thats what you do. Then a dog comes running up and chases you into a corner. A few minutes later a man walk up to you and releases another dog that runs up and bite the hell out of you and will not let go!

Then 1 of 2 things happen. Either the "hunter" ties up the piggie and cuts his manhood off. or cuts his throat and lets him bleed out.

So you honestly believe that having a dog bite on a pigs ear is not cruel?

Like I said before im all about hunting and I hae even eaten a bar hog before. But no way in hell will I ever support that type of "hunting". in my eyes running dogs is a lazy way of harvesting animals. No matter what the breed. Your having another animals chase and torment said animals. then the hunters usually sit onthe back of the truck till they hear the dogs bay. then they run a short distance and have another dog do the dangerous part of the hunt. then while the dog hold down the pig, the hunter walks up and does whatever he is going to do.

Im all for hunting once again and I have pig hunted before. But if you want to hunt, it should be in the woods, stalking him, leanring his patterns, baiting them, or whatever. But dogs hanging off his ears is not hunting.

Posts: 468 | Location: Goldsboro, NC. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brando
posted Hide Post
After thinking about my response a little, I realize that some of you are not going to agree with me. And there are going to be a few narrow minded people that think im some sort of PETA activist.

just realize I was voicing an opinion. In no way am I ever going to "attack" a legal form of hunting, trapping or wild animal harvesting. ifs its legal, by all means you have a right to run pigs with dogs. Does that mean I have to agree with it? No, not at all. But the state law says you can do it, and you like to do it so by all means do it.

I just dont want anyone to think im attacking them or im here in some form trying to get dogs banned. I love hunting, I love the wilderness, and I love every part of being allowed into the wilderness to participate in hunting. Im not a very successful hunter by any means. But I still love it.

Posts: 468 | Location: Goldsboro, NC. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
Brando,
Some here have the notion of why be concerned with the hog's feelings, as expressed consistently by Norton, for example, who also has no empathy for whale's feelings either.

My way of addressing it has been to call it brutal "sport". I have been cautious about directly expressing my opinion about this type of "hunting", to avoid flame. However and nonetheless, my opinion has been expressed, through the use of the word - brutal, or brutality. If necessary, one should look up the word(s) in a dictionary, or thesaurus, as well as the root word - brute. That pretty much says it.

So, it's a sport that I couldn't participate in myself. But at the same time, I have internal trouble either supporting or opposing it, mostly because I'm a hunter too, and I support hunters and hunting, conducted legally and ethically. Support or oppose, I have no trouble calling it what it is - brutal.

There are several types or aspects of "hunting" that I have issues with, but we won't get into that. The point is where does one draw the line? Well obviously we have different lines to draw, and different sentiments on the same subject.

I think your sentiment was well expressed.

KB

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brando:
Then 1 of 2 things happen. Either the "hunter" ties up the piggie and cuts his manhood off. or cuts his throat and lets him bleed out.

We cut the "manhood" off of domestic livestock as well. Cuts down on the breeding. When hunting with knives and dogs, rarely is the throat cut, but the hog is stabbed in the heart (just like an arrow). The limited time I have hunted with dogs, I have used firearms to dispatch the animals. Again, only some folks hunt with catch dogs and virtually all use bay dogs. Lazy? Hardly. Exciting? Very much so -- beats the hell out of sitting in a stand waiting for things to happen.

I just think that you don't have a complete picture of hunting with dogs.

Semper Fidelis

One of Us
Picture of Brando
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Whitworth:

I know plenty of people that dog hunt down in FL, Some of them are state licensed trappers. And down there they do some throat cutting, but I understand the practice of cutting off the testicles.

It makes for a good eating boar latetr down the road and prevents him from breeding.

I just dont agree with the catch dog type of hunting some people practice. but in at rights they are doing it the legal way so I can do nothing but express my view that I dont think its right. This is a message forum so im taking advantage of the situation and expressing a opinion from anther view.

One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
Dogs and hogs both love to fight.

If you were a boxer/gladiator, would you--if you knew you were going to be either shot or allowed to fight for your life the next day--choose to be ambushed, or go out in the ring/arena?

We hunt for our pleasure. There's nothing wrong in allowing the pig a chance to fight. It's not unheard for them to maim/kill 3-4 dogs at a time, and then run off. Then the hunter has the responsibility of caring for the wounded/dead dogs.

No one is forced to do it this way.
One can go to embroidery class and be a vegan if one prefers, but it's certainly not in the nature of a boar hog to do so either.

Many interesting videos on youtube of hog vs tiger, vs lion, vs leopard--where the hog starts the fight and leaves alive.

Los Dogos Cap

For those who have killed a hog with a dogo and a knife--given by Dr. Juan Pozzi and his fellow hunters in Argentina

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Whitworth:

quote:
Originally posted by SGraves155:
Dogs and hogs both love to fight.
We hunt for our pleasure. There's nothing wrong in allowing the pig a chance to fight. It's not unheard for them to maim/kill 3-4 dogs at a time, and then run off. Then the hunter has the responsibility of caring for the wounded/dead dogs.

I think that helps to clear the picture.

I get more out of hunting hogs by shooting them behind the ear, rather than having to listen to them scream bloody murder while dogs rip their ears, tongue, lips, etc. to shreads, and also at the same time deal with and listen to the mayhem, howling & barking of a pack of crazed killer pit bulls, or other fighting breed.

To each his own.

KB

One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
If you had one tracker dog and one catcher, and you had to get there (and "there"
may be 1/2 to 1 mile+) in a hurry to help them out before the hog killed them both, it might be a bit more exciting than you think.

One dogo is usually a match for 150 lb boar, but a 200#er with some experience may need more than 1 pit-bull/dogo, depending on the dogo and the hog. Hunting with brave dogs that don't know what to do may mean ending up with a bunch of wounded/dead dogs.

Of course hunting hogs by one's lonesome can mean problems, too.

Steve
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
Oh, I see that you're from Arkansas. Wink I heard that in Arkansas they train hogs to catch wild dogs. Big Grin

KB

One of Us
posted Hide Post
SG: Do hogs love to fight????

What do you mean by that????

Do you think hogs want to be slaughtered by humans?

Do you think any animals want to be killed??

Don't compare animals to humans. There is a significant difference, but I guess toy really can't see it.......

There is no honor in having animals molested by dogs.

I suppose you don't like Ghandi but here's a quoute:

"A nation can be judged by how it treats its animals".

However I guess you don't care about peaceful nations or people cause you just like to kill whatever possible, vietnamese, iraquies, afghans...

I hope your god exists so that he can judge you.

fat chicks inc.

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Goldeneye:
SG: Do hogs love to fight????

What do you mean by that????

Do you think hogs want to be slaughtered by humans?

Do you think any animals want to be killed??

Don't compare animals to humans. There is a significant difference, but I guess toy really can't see it.......

There is no honor in having animals molested by dogs.

I suppose you don't like Ghandi but here's a quoute:

"A nation can be judged by how it treats its animals".

However I guess you don't care about peaceful nations or people cause you just like to kill whatever possible, vietnamese, iraquies, afghans...

I hope your god exists so that he can judge you.

Wow, where to start. I see you went for the personal/national attack. You are starting to sound like the typical left-wing, liberal European who rather negotiate than fight even when attacked. Stop projecting your national insecurities here. They are not relevant to the discussion at hand. If you want to make statements of this nature, take it to the political forum. You have already expressed your disdain for the concept of hog hunting with dogs, even though you have never done it or witnessed it.

I don't think pigs or any animals, no matter how intelligent, think much beyond their next meal, and shelter to safely sleep. So, I don't think that hogs "want to be slaughtered" is a realistic sentiment.

This nation treats animals very well. But, being a nation of 300 million (not 4 million), there are some who don't, but the nation shouldn't be judged on a few miscreants (and I am not refering to dog/hog hunters).

Let's keep this discussion on track.

Semper Fidelis

One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
I think I'm treating pigs in a Christian manner according to the golden rule:

If I were a pig, I would rather be a wild hog than a domestic pig doomed for slaughter.

If I were the trophy pig in the woods, I'd rather get a chance to fight--either before dying or with a chance at escape, than to be ambushed at the feed trough.
(I still enjoy hunting at feeding stations from blinds, but the hog/dog/man beats it)

But those are just personal preferences.
Smiler

Steve
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I cant really make myself listen to anything that you have to say, good or bad, when you come to a hog hunting discussion talking shit like this.
I just want to know what teen pregnancy and American wars have to do with a dog catching a hog?
Evidently you have just run out of reasons not to use dogs to hunt hogs so now you post this crap just to be posting something?
Is that what it is or are you really just some little 13 year old boy that gets himself off by talking shit on the computer?

To the Little Sweedish Smurf... middlefinger

Have a good day Goldie, I am gonna go read about something worth while now.

----------------------------

Posts: 124 | Location: Waukeenah, Fl | Registered: 22 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I knew I had this POS pegged for what "it" really is right from the start: just another Obongo-loving sort who feels compelled and/or entitled to tell others what to think or feel. And I'll repeat myself, "it" is an enemy amongst us.

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
quote:

If I were a pig, I would rather be a wild hog than a domestic pig doomed for slaughter.

If I were the trophy pig in the woods, I'd rather get a chance to fight--either before dying or with a chance at escape, than to be ambushed at the feed trough.
(I still enjoy hunting at feeding stations from blinds, but the hog/dog/man beats it)

Smiler

Humm --- This is interesting. Some here are very keen about not considering the "feelings" of animals. Norton for example has made that clear. Here, SG, not only the Golden Rule is evoked, and religion, but other human values and preferences as well -- all attributable to hogs. And from a hunter's point of view. That's interesting to me. This may be deep.

For some light reading, I've attached some links to wikipedia. There are more links within the writeup, the list goes on and on if you have trouble sleeping. Big Grin

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthropomorphism

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animism

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Smiler

Humm --- This is interesting. Some here are very keen about not considering the "feelings" of animals. Norton for example has made that clear. Here, SG, not only the Golden Rule is evoked, and religion, but other human values and preferences as well -- all attributable to hogs. And from a hunter's point of view. That's interesting to me. This may be deep.

For some light reading, I've attached some links to wikipedia. There are more links within the writeup, the list goes on and on if you have trouble sleeping. Big Grin

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthropomorphism

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animism

KB.....you're beginning to lean a bit too far for me.....every living thing has feelings, including the head of lettuce that the vegans shred(plants thrive when spoken to, correct?). Even the cow that gets jammed into a slot and has a captive bolt killer driven thru it's brain knows what's coming.

Stop with the "Norton doesn't care about animal's feelings" bullshit because it's completely inaccurate......you've missed my point entirely. Most of us on this forum would risk our lives for our dogs and you know it......so can your shit and sell it somewhere else.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Norton:
.....so can your shit and sell it somewhere else.

That my friend is the new saying of the day! I think I just spit Mountain Dew all over my monitor!!! rotflmo

Posts: 124 | Location: Waukeenah, Fl | Registered: 22 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Norton:
Stop with the "Norton doesn't care about animal's feelings" bullshit because it's completely inaccurate......you've missed my point entirely. Most of us on this forum would risk our lives for our dogs and you know it......so can your shit and sell it somewhere else.

Whitebc, there's a lot more where that came from. Norton is full of humor.

Norton, did I miss your point? Well, scuzze me. Now I understand. If it's a greenie expressing sentiment about animal's feelings - that's not ok with you, but it's ok if a hunter does?

I'l bet you dress up your scottie for holidays, with little hats, coats and bow ties and such.

KB

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Norton, did I miss your point? Well, scuzze me. Now I understand. If it's a greenie expressing sentiment about animal's feelings - that's not ok with you, but it's ok if a hunter does.
KB

The more you speak, the digger you deep. Are you telling me it's OK to pick and choose which animal specie's feelings are more important(which is the MO of the whackos)?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
wit: do you know what the term asymmetric information menas?

You all seem to know so much about me, but you don't.

Feelings???

There is a great diff. between feeling pain and having feelings......

This is a matter of how much pain that should be put upon a living creature just for the fun of it.

fat chicks inc.

One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
quote:

This is a matter of how much pain that should be put upon a living creature just for the fun of it.

Goldie, you do so much better when you leave "I" and "me" out of the stuff you write, as well as the other stuff unrelated to hog hunting. The last sentence is enough to make your point. This ain't about you, or politics.

quote:
Now I understand. If it's a greenie expressing sentiment about animal's feelings - that's not ok with you, but it's ok if a hunter does?
KB

Norton, scuzze me again. In the initial post, I forgot to put a question mark at the end of the above sentence.

KB

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
wit: do you know what the term asymmetric information menas?

Well, when you make a comment such as: "However I guess you don't care about peaceful nations or people cause you just like to kill whatever possible, vietnamese, iraquies, afghans..." you open yourself up for some educated speculation. Do you understand the meaning of educated speculation? How about deductive reasoning? In order not to be judged, you should leave such commentary out of your response about hog/dog hunting. Your credibility -- what little there is being new, is slipping.

Semper Fidelis

One of Us
posted Hide Post
ok. I admit i posted some bull...

fat chicks inc.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Amoungst the mud slinging, and shit stirring, there has been an interesting discussion. I have, over the last year or two had quite a bit to do with Swedish hunters, and Like much of europe, they have some fine traditions. Mostly aimed at preserving a resource for sustainable harvest, and certainly they treat there prey with respect. There must be however, a recognition that the situation is far different in parts of continental America, as it is in NZ or Australia for that matter, and at times proper management is to shoot or kill every animal seen, regardless of the herd status of said animal. Any sow capable of breeding must go.
As too hunting with dogs, I had a pack for many years. I also hunt pigs with rifle, and bow and arrow.I've also been lucky to spend many hours just watching pigs in the wild. The boar has a temper matched by few, and to see two boars stand toe to toe, ripping and tearing at each other for dominance is a thrill to behold... the power and speed are awesome. The dog is a natural predator, and a good dog is one of the bravest animals a hunter ever called his freind. When I hunted with dogs, I justified it by allowing the dog to do as is natural to the dog, and the pig is a natural prey. I'm a team member of the dogs pack, as he is of mine, but what I never allowed myself, was an intentional cruel act on my own part, my job was to kill the pig, or release it should it be deemed neccecary with speed and care.
As many hunters have, I've rushed into the fight and been ripped or bitten, and in my youth, it was a brilliant outlet for controlled agression and as a way of testing myself and finding my limits. A couple of times the pig even won, and deffinatly the pigs beat the dogs quite regularly. Finnally, as some one requested it, some good pig hunting footage.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A46Ndk-ru0U
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...bWzA&feature=related

Posts: 4289 | Location: South Island NZ | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
Oh yea, those guys in NZ make a good video. That first one kind of makes me think of those famous redneck moments that begin with "hey ya'll watch this". A few of those guys make the Darwin Awards list.

Here are some more good videos of hog hunting in NZ. I especially like the last one. Some of that country remindes me of the Salmon River area in Idaho.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqCTysMeMVo&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v..._c&NR=1&feature=fvwp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWIcSHuKifU&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...tQJ4&feature=related

KB

One of Us
posted Hide Post
shanks: Yes, many Swedish hunters travel to NZ, and even more want to go there. I'm hoping to go there in the future. There's an outfitter on the south island I'd like to visit for some good stags.

Yes, the boars fight against themselves but in the nature you don't really see animals of the same species kill each other. (compared to the thinking...human beings)

Thank you for the vids.

However finding representative video material
is perhaps not so easy....

Regarding controlled agression I must recommend for the young to get involved in some sort of martial arts.

However, I guess it can be hard to find the possibility in the more rural areas.

Taking it out on animals is perhaps not the best way?

Regards.

fat chicks inc.

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shankspony:
Amoungst the mud slinging, and shit stirring, there has been an interesting discussion. I have, over the last year or two had quite a bit to do with Swedish hunters, and Like much of europe, they have some fine traditions. Mostly aimed at preserving a resource for sustainable harvest, and certainly they treat there prey with respect. There must be however, a recognition that the situation is far different in parts of continental America, as it is in NZ or Australia for that matter, and at times proper management is to shoot or kill every animal seen, regardless of the herd status of said animal. Any sow capable of breeding must go.
As too hunting with dogs, I had a pack for many years. I also hunt pigs with rifle, and bow and arrow.I've also been lucky to spend many hours just watching pigs in the wild. The boar has a temper matched by few, and to see two boars stand toe to toe, ripping and tearing at each other for dominance is a thrill to behold... the power and speed are awesome. The dog is a natural predator, and a good dog is one of the bravest animals a hunter ever called his freind. When I hunted with dogs, I justified it by allowing the dog to do as is natural to the dog, and the pig is a natural prey. I'm a team member of the dogs pack, as he is of mine, but what I never allowed myself, was an intentional cruel act on my own part, my job was to kill the pig, or release it should it be deemed neccecary with speed and care.
As many hunters have, I've rushed into the fight and been ripped or bitten, and in my youth, it was a brilliant outlet for controlled agression and as a way of testing myself and finding my limits. A couple of times the pig even won, and deffinatly the pigs beat the dogs quite regularly. Finnally, as some one requested it, some good pig hunting footage.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A46Ndk-ru0U
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...bWzA&feature=related

Good post, shanks!

Semper Fidelis

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good Videos yall thumb

One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yes, the boars fight against themselves but in the nature you don't really see animals of the same species kill each other. (compared to the thinking...human beings)
Regarding controlled agression I must recommend for the young to get involved in some sort of martial arts.

Regards.

Bears, all cats, wolves-- in fact every predator--routinely kill others (particuliarly males killing juveniles) of their own species. Boars also. Amongst herbivores, deer, buffalo, and most antelope, the males routinely wound-to-the-death and frequently kill others of their own species.

Martial arts can be a good study if one has many hours/week to practice, and an available teacher.

In the country, if a boar is sighted or sign found during a free hour or two, the dogs can supply the hunter with the opportunity for adventure/excitement/food at that time.

Steve
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shanks, You hit the nail on the head...good post.

Posts: 221 | Location: florida big bend | Registered: 14 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of daniel77
posted Hide Post
btt for learning purposes

Posts: 3628 | Location: cajun country | Registered: 04 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
btt for learning purposes

clap

Posts: 221 | Location: florida big bend | Registered: 14 January 2010Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
On a practical note, I stopped hunting pigs with dogs because the meat didn't taste so good from all that adrenalin pump-up. Those that I did were pounded into our local version of pemmican. How do you cook these dog-chased pigs? Is there a practical way of eliminating adrenalin other than spraying bacteria or letting the carcass mature for a few days?
Thank you.
Antonio

Posts: 25 | Location: Brazil | Registered: 30 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Antonio,

I have dogged alot of hogs and shot alot. I can't the difference between the two. It seems that the dogged hogs might be a little more tough. That could also be the cooking method used. I have never sprayed any kind of bacteria on the meat. I have hung meat for a few days but still cant tell much difference.

What is pemmican?

posted Hide Post
Thank you, Mattyboy. I find the meat tough too. Once I got a small sample of slaughterhouse bacteria they spray of beef carcasses to tenderize them. It works very well, but is a very expensive industrial product. They don't breed and thus you can't grow your own. Pemmican is an ancient American native staple made of meat pounded into a paste with berries. Ours don't include berries, but a handful of red peppers, back peppers, roasted manioc flour, chives and pork rind or bacon all pounded together with mortar & pestle. Wild pig tastes especially good after being fried and pounded in this fashion. Goes very well with beer or the local holy water that little birds don't drink.

Posts: 25 | Location: Brazil | Registered: 30 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's very interesting.

Thanks for the reply.