New
Find
Notify
Tools

How would you go about it?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm just getting my first chance to hunt russian boar and don't know squat about it. I'm wondering how some of you guys that hunt them alot would go about it. We're on a high desert ranch, sage flats cut by narrow canyons with streams with brushy side canyons, some wet, some dry. It's a really wet spring, bottoms are starting to dry out. Some cattle on the range but not many.

We started on one drainage that the rancher suggested. Fresh tracks, ground torn up etc. so we know we're in the right neighborhood. We're trying to do it during the day, can hunt at night if we need to. Baiting's legal, we're thinking about a timed feeder if all else fails.

So far we've only been on for a couple days and we looked for sign and torn up ground and set up on it morning and evening. I'm gonna go back in a week or two and have my buddy drop me at the top of the drainage and walk the whole thing to see what I see. Here's a couple pics.

I'm just wondering short of night vision equipment how would you go about it?

Thanks.

Posts: 29 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 28 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Feeder is a good idea. You can set up and wait from them to come in.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DOGS! But thats just me and I may be a little biased Smiler Goodluck on your next hunt(s)

Aloha

Dom

Hunting its not a Hobby its My Way of Life!!!

Posts: 449 | Location: Kaneohe,Hawaii | Registered: 20 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
In CA and I assume most places, pigs are very nocturnal especially when its is hot.

I would suggest finding their food and water source and setting up an ambush. First thing you are going to need to find is the "pig highway", there should be one out there somewhere.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community to use any opportunity to reply to a post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence problem.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10068 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know the smell of sour mash will bring them in.
Cracked Corn, Water, Sugar, Brewers Yeast. It will take about 10 to 12 hours for it do get to fermenting. Set it up in the morning and come back to it later.
You should have a mob there waiting for you.
Works for me anyway.

Cheers, John
BTY: Dont let the BATF catch ya. Wink

Give me COFFEE and nobody gets hurt

Posts: 1608 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
May I suggest if you are going to walk it, try to walk it with one either side of the creek.

that way if you do find his sleeping spot and he bolts, although covered by both he is closer to one. When boars bolt and run, they do so damn fast from what I have seen.

Also agree re baiting - water, sugar, mollases, corn on the ground etc. Even if it only keeps him in one area, it's better than having him roam.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
They tend to be nocturnal of course.
Dogs are good.
Feeders can get them trained to come, but keep downwind when you hunt the feeder.
Driving the ridges early and late hoping for a long shot is also a possibility.

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Let's see

Timed demand feeders work well, day or night.

Hogs are omniverous and will come to anything.

If you decide to use a timed feeder that throws at intervals here are a couple thought.

Roasted soybeans combined with corn and protein pellets draw them very well. Set your feeder to throw for several seconds before shooting light. Maybe a second throw for a few seconds about shooting light.

Throw in the afternoon about an hour before dark. Hogs usually come in to a feeder very early and just before dead dark. If you can set a feeder next to a water source, all the better. If you can let if feed undisturbed for a month to three months before you hunt it, you can come back much more often, as they get in their piggy little brains that "this is where the groceries are". Too much pressure to soo and they will either go nocturnal or quit coming for a couple weeks.

Burnt motor oil on a burlap bag wired around a tree makes a great rub.

If the soil is not to rocky, you can dig a hole and mix hog wild with corn. Pour the combo in the hole and cover with dirt.

Soak a 5 gallon bucket of corn in deisel overnight. Pour out the diesel soaked corn.

Strawberry jello either dry or mixed with a little water and poured over corn works as an attractant.

A hog pipe also works well. Get a length of 4"-8" pvc pipe, a collar and a cap, an eyebolt, and nylok nut, swivel and aircraft cable. Drill holes large enough for corn to leak out in pipe. Tether to tree or use a tie down auger.

Snares work well if you have a fence with a hole where they are running through. Bait on each side with corn.

Anyway, you probably get the picture.

Best

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Diesel Fuel???? WTF
Why in the hell would a hog like to eat diesel fuel. Damn, I didn't know about that one, but I do now.
Thanks, GWB

Cheers, John

Give me COFFEE and nobody gets hurt

Posts: 1608 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hunted pigs over the diesel corn mix in Argentina. I thought they were crazy but it worked every time.

DRSS

Posts: 625 | Location: OK USA | Registered: 07 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
Really like that Hog-Pipe idea. Got make one of them!

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SGraves155:
Really like that Hog-Pipe idea. Got make one of them!

If you do, you may want to use chain or aircraft cable. Be sure you have a good sized washer with a thick piece of rubber on each size of your eyebolt. Use a 3/8" to 1/2 shank eyebolt. I've had big boars twist off 1/4" cable and break the eyebolts out of 4" pvc. Be sure to use a swivel on one if not both ends of your tether. It's amazing how much power a big boar has. You want holes big enough that what ever you fill your pipe with, it will fall out a little at a time as they roll and worry the pipe 5/8" or bigger. You can also put in hog wild, kool-aid or other powder type attractants. An auger that screws into the ground attached with a swivel in line works great.

Best,

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hogs "stole" one of our pig rollers (30-gal barrel rigged like one of the pig pipes) and we found it about 300 yds away in the cactus. They are great for keeping them around, better than a timed feeder as they can't empty the barrel/pipe as fast as they can clean up the feeder corn and they won't leave until all the corn is gone or you shoot. Best of both worlds is one of each--or two Big Grin

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phatman:
Diesel Fuel???? WTF
Why in the hell would a hog like to eat diesel fuel. Damn, I didn't know about that one, but I do now.
Thanks, GWB

Cheers, John

Yes indeed, works like a charm! Even scarier is that they can digest it.......

To add to Geedubya's comprehensive list, I pour concentrated cherry KoolAid on corn and they love it. In North Carolina, where I hunt the most, we use sweet potatoes.......

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. We have 50# of cracked corn and yeast working right now. We'll keep you posted.

Posts: 29 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 28 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dustoffer:
Hogs "stole" one of our pig rollers (30-gal barrel rigged like one of the pig pipes) and we found it about 300 yds away in the cactus. They are great for keeping them around, better than a timed feeder as they can't empty the barrel/pipe as fast as they can clean up the feeder corn and they won't leave until all the corn is gone or you shoot. Best of both worlds is one of each--or two Big Grin

dustoffer,

I've had that happen on more than one occasion. It's hard to imagine the power those big boars have and the amount of destruction they can visit.

GWB

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you do, you may want to use chain or aircraft cable. Be sure you have a good sized washer with a thick piece of rubber on each size of your eyebolt. Use a 3/8" to 1/2 shank eyebolt. I've had big boars twist off 1/4" cable and break the eyebolts out of 4" pvc. Be sure to use a swivel on one if not both ends of your tether. It's amazing how much power a big boar has. You want holes big enough that what ever you fill your pipe with, it will fall out a little at a time as they roll and worry the pipe 5/8" or bigger.

I've had the same experiences. Only place I differ on this advice is the size of the hole. I made mine 7/16" though the size difference is probably not important.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
cup or 2 of diesel on 5gal bucket

strawberry jello powder

moloasses on a stump

water

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38532 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
5/6 gal bucket. powdered yeast, cheap malt liquor, powdered jello or koolaid, water, piss or milk. Let it sit and ferment. Don't spill it on yourself !

Posts: 1135 | Location: corpus, TX | Registered: 02 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any of the above concoctions, or just corn. Post hole diggers. Hole. Dump in hole. They'll have to work to get it out and will keep coming back. Won't work well in mud or sand.

Posts: 10044 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh, I forgot. Creosote pole/railroad tie. They love to rub against them -- upright.

Posts: 10044 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
take a burlap bag, soak in burnt motor oil, wrap around creosote pole, tree etc. As said they love to rub against it. I guess like mud it keeps the flies, ticks and fleas at bay.

GWB