THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM HOG HUNTING FORUM

Moderators: Whitworth
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Warthog - You know youve been to Africa!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of jshoney
posted
Trophy rooms across the United States are filled with "African" animals collected right here in the States. For me, im only a short drive away from the Texas hill country full of exotic game ranches. I think thats why of all my trophies from my recent safari (RSA-Limcroma Safaris in the Hunting Reports - Africa forum for story) the warthog is my favorite. You cant hunt em here so everyone will know where you've been.

Now starts my real problem. Im having the scull and cape shipped back to me. Im usually a big fan of european mounts but this ugly guy might sway me to a shoulder mount. Any of you guys that have pictures of your european and shoulder mounts for me to compare would be really appreciated.

Here are two pictures of what im dealing with.

Posts: 146 | Location: Walburg, TX | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Very nice, I'd say it's even worthy of a FBM or at minimum a 3/4 mount of it coming up out of a hole.

~Ann

Posts: 19564 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
Blow that picture up and frame it. That's Great! congrats.

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A European mount would not do justice to a trophy hog like yours. A shoulder mount would be the least.

When you go back and get another one, perhaps larger, then put both upper and lower teeth on a shield to hang next to your shoulder mount.

Geoff

Shooter

Posts: 622 | Location: Mossyrock, WA | Registered: 25 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
THAT is a beautiful piggie.

Congratulations!

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
A good shoulder mount on those is worth the mony plus you could have castings of the teeth and get a euro mount as well.

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

Posts: 1624 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i agree with crusher. fake teeth in the mount and the real ones in a cleaned skull.

blaming guns for crime is like blaming silverware for rosie o'donnell being fat

Posts: 1213 | Location: new braunfels, tx | Registered: 04 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gayne C. Young
posted Hide Post
You really should do a shoulder mount. Hogs like that aren't an every trip occurence

Visit my homepage
www.gaynecyoung.com

Posts: 710 | Location: Fredericksburg, Texas | Registered: 10 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats,
A shoulder mount at the very least.
Jeff

No people in history have ever
survived who thought they could protect their freedom by making themselves
inoffensive to their enemies.

Posts: 1689 | Location: North MS U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree. You've gotta have more than the ivory.

Body mount would be by far the best.

Great trophy, congratulations.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6028 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's extraordinary to find a warthog that size without one of the tusks broken. You MUST have at least a shoulder mount. Congratulations.

Posts: 272 | Location: North Carolina,USA | Registered: 17 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
have 2 replica of the tusk, i think you can have for not many §§,probably about 100-150 a set. One for the skull, one for the shoulder mount.
Make a tusk mount with the original sets(upper and lower), and you have 3 trophy from a animal and you can see your tusks in their full length!

D.V.M.

Posts: 179 | Location: Italy | Registered: 02 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nomrcy
posted Hide Post
That is a nice pig!!!
Here's my shoulder mount. It is a wall pedestal. I will take some better pics of it-this one does no justice for the mount.

Trophies are not dead animals...they are living memories.

Posts: 217 | Location: Fargo, North Dakota | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Safari-Hunt
posted Hide Post
Unless you are very lucky the changes of baggin a pig like that again is very slim. Do the biggest mount you can.

Frederik Cocquyt
I always try to use enough gun but then sometimes a brainshot works just as good.

Posts: 2549 | Location: Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa | Registered: 06 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lorefuma:
have 2 replica of the tusk, i think you can have for not many §§,probably about 100-150 a set. One for the skull, one for the shoulder mount.
Make a tusk mount with the original sets(upper and lower), and you have 3 trophy from a animal and you can see your tusks in their full length!

Beat me to it.

This is what I tell all customers.

Safari Taxidermy by:John Baker
www.safaritaxidermy.com

Posts: 278 | Location: Corpus Christi, Texas , USA | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What I'd like to know is:

How can anything so damned ugly,

Look so beautiful???

Great mount, enjoy it for many yrs.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6028 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of duggaboybuff
posted Hide Post
Mine is no way as impressive as yours and i still got a full mount, came up great too!

Posts: 411 | Location: australia | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I love to hunt warthogs and they are very good table fair and make great sancwiches for a noon meal on safari..

I have shot quit a few of them and the best so far was 17 plus, just a hair under 18 inches and with great mass..It has been posted on AR a couple of times. really nice hog, probably a record book hog, don't know.

some nice hogs posted on this thread, congratulations to all.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
WOW! awesome wartie!

Full mount!

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27611 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, full mount. Very nice hog.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by duggaboybuff:
Mine is no way as impressive as yours and i still got a full mount, came up great too!

Very nice full mount!!!

Posts: 75 | Location: Antwerp, Flanders | Registered: 13 August 2007Reply With Quote