New
Find
Notify
Tools

Buff, or, Bluff!?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
The recent post "Kill zone of a Cape Buffalo" brought to light a very interesting phenomenon know as the "Arm chair Buff hunter".

So to get the playing field leveled (so to speak) and really find out whos "Buff" and Who's "Bluff", lets see how many buffalo the posters on this forum have actually shot.

Ray and Saeed are exempt...we all know they are the Grand-masters if this game.

So posters, how many?

I'll start...2!! Not many but a good start.(did shoot'em with a double if that counts for anything).

How about the rest of you???

Let's see the truth! Whos "Buff" and who's "Bluff"!!! cigar

JW

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
One trip, three buffalo.

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey JW-I started that whole mess since this is my first trip to Africa. So, right now, I am goose egg for buffalo. I hope to change that before the end of June though! I am just happy and feel very blessed to be able to go to Africa-buffalo or no.

Monte

Posts: 36 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 20 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stud!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hey JW-I started that whole mess since this is my first trip to Africa. So, right now, I am goose egg for buffalo. I hope to change that before the end of June though! I am just happy and feel very blessed to be able to go to Africa-buffalo or no.

Monte

Rock on brother! You'll be out of the "0" zone before long...Good luck!
thumb
JW

One of Us
posted Hide Post
1988, Okavango, first safari, stalked up to forty yards on 7 bulls. Allistar McFarlane said, "Shoot the third bull". One shot, 375 in the shoulder, bull drops, never even moves his tail. No big deal. Moved on to leopard and things really got exciting, never looked back at the buffalo. Damn, did I ever get cheated on what a buffalo hunt should be!! Want to take a guess on what I'll be doing in two years?

Posts: 725 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Spotted cats???

one of us
posted Hide Post
Two water buffalo in Australia; next year to Tanzania for Cape buffalo.

.470 & 9.3X74R Chapuis'
Tikka O/U 9.3X74R
Searcy Classics 450/.400 3" & .577
C&H .375 2 1/2"
Krieghoff .500 NE
Member Dallas Safari Club

Posts: 1587 | Location: Eleanor, West Virginia (USA) | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I've shot all of the Big Five (Lion, Cape Buffalo, Elephant, Rhino,(some with the double rifle and some with a bolt action) with the exception of leopard, which I plan on doing (maybe two) in about 40 days. I've also shot hippo and croc, plus nearly 50 plains game. Nearly all of them have been posted on AR. I don't claim to be an expert and never have, but I certainly can put forth my experience as limited as it might be. For myself, I believe in a combination of reading, studying, watching everything that I can, reading posts on AR (picking out the good advice and discarding the bullsh_t), plus listening to my PH. So far it's paid off.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Five trips, six dugga boys, all but one with a .375. Havent shot one out of a herd yet but mabe next time.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gunny,

You are a man after my own heart...Duggas / Daggas rule! Both of mine were as such.

JW

PS - Semper Fi!

one of us
posted Hide Post
One trip for Buff ... on the last day of the hunt I took one old, Lion scared, poacher hit, dagga boy found just outside the tallest grass immaginable. Beautiful, Ugly old fella with a huge will to live.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
4 cape buffalo--3 dugga boys and 1 herd bull
1 water buff in Australia (took the most punishment)
Going for another water buff in Argentina in 2 months.

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
Two buff, both in Zim.

Kyler

I'm so old that I still have some skills even without an internet connection or electricity.

Posts: 2508 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Two dagga boys one Zim 458 Lott one shot on the ground in 10yds. Second in the Selous 450#2 on the ground in about 50yds. Two bull eles one 30lbs from Zim and the other 65lbs from the Selous. Hippo & Croc also... Big Grin
Plains game also... Three safaris...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Six total. One in Zim. One in Moz. Four in the Selous.

Bull1 thumb

Posts: 405 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: 25 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
4 so far with 2 more (on license) in July.

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll fess up , never been to Africa , never shot a Buffalo. I went as far as buying a rifle for it but the wife has a bun in the oven and I have one to put through college next year so the closest I'll ever get is watching Cindy Garrison shoot one on TV.

Posts: 116 | Location: NEW JERSEY | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One trip to Zambia-one 44 inch Buff. Nine miles tracking. One shot at 120 yds with 375.

Sprig

Rose lipped maidens--light foot lads!!!

Posts: 448 | Location: Okie City | Registered: 18 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Don't give up! Watching Cindy in the meantime, with the sound turned down, isn't a bad alternative! Wink

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19367 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Just one all by myself and an "assist" on my friend's who decided he didn't want to die. That one took four shots from a 375 and one from my 416. The first one I shot right through the shoulder and into his heart (the stream of blood pumping out could be seen from a distance!)but he still took two more before he keeled over. Love this stuff! jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
...seven bulls: Six in Zim, and one in Zambia.

Five were shot using a.416 Taylor, and two with a .458WM.

The closest was shot at 15yds, and the farthest was a smidge over 200yds. Three were killed outright with one shot (.416 Taylor). Three others required two shots each, (Two:416 Taylor, and one: .458WM) Only one required more than two shots, and that was a bull that had been spooked, and was under a full head of steam when I shot him.(40yds+/-) First shot was thru the lungs, and nicked the top of the heart. The next three shots were taken at the bull's posterier, and it took a while for the damage to take effect. When he finally ran out of gas, and was on the ground, A final shot thru the withers/spine ended the affair.

It goes without saying,buffalo can take a lot of pounding, especially if they're high on adrenalin. This one had one 500gr TBBC, and four 500gr TBSH in him. The first shot was with the Bear Claw, and it was recoverd in the off shoulder, three of the Sledge Hammers were not recovered, one was, and it could have been shot again.

I'll never pass on an opportunity to hunt these beasts...it only requires time and money.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
None yet, but I'm looking to change that in August!

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3517 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Two. One in Zimbabwe in 2004, the other in Tanzania in 2005. Hope to up that number this year in September hunting in Tanzania.

Posts: 551 | Location: Woodbine, Ga | Registered: 04 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Always been more interested in PG, but might change that to a buff in the next couple of years. Love Sable.

Does 13 kudu count Big Grin

Verbera!, Iugula!, Iugula!!!

Blair.

Posts: 8808 | Location: Sydney, Australia. | Registered: 21 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You will find that most of the most experienced buff and elephant hunters will not answer your question on how many DG animals they have shot. You may get an answer from them such as "lots", "more than my share" or "many" but seldom an exact number. It seems that once you get past 10 or 12 you are hesitant to give a number. It may be not wanting to brag, a little guilt that we have and others haven't or a concern that we will not be believed. That happened to Ray Atkinson to the point where some even questioned that he had ever been to Africa on Safari at all. Note those who are known to be experienced on here but do not answer your question.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
7 Cape Buffalo and 1 Water Buffalo

'96 Okavango Delta, Botswana (.416)
'97 Okavango Delta, Botswana (.416)
'01 Selous, Tanzania (.416)
'01 Ibanda Camp, Tanzania - 2 Buff (.375)
'05 Mahimba Camp,Mozambique (.375)
'06 Mwambesi Camp, Tanzania (.375)

'02 Northern Territories, Australia (.375)

Hopefully another '07 Zimbabwe!!!!!

Regards, D. Nelson (not bad for an old lady)!!

One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D. Nelson:
7 Cape Buffalo and 1 Water Buffalo

'96 Okavango Delta, Botswana (.416)
'97 Okavango Delta, Botswana (.416)
'01 Selous, Tanzania (.416)
'01 Ibanda Camp, Tanzania - 2 Buff (.375)
'05 Mahimba Camp,Mozambique (.375)
'06 Selous, Tanzania (.375)

'02 Northern Territories, Australia (.375)

Hopefully another '07 Zimbabwe!!!!!

Regards, D. Nelson (not bad for an old lady)!!

D. Nelson.
Im curious if there is any reason why you went from a 416 on your first three buffalo to the 375 on your last five, or was it just because you wanted too?

"Science only goes so far then God takes over."

Posts: 3504 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One, Okavango Delta in 1998 with a 375 H&H. Hopefully I'll have #2 next year this time as I'm scheduled for the Delta again.

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Total of 4. 3 in Tanzania and one in Zambia.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4781 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
One Zimbabwe dagga boy

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
One Buff, Zim 2004. Going back in 2008.

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
One or two cape buffalo per year since 1992

Three water buffalo in North territory of OZ, back in the early 60s

................... beer

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jarod:

RE: Changing from .416 to .375 ( AKA Thelma and Louise)

After using both quite a bit...I found that the .375 was just easier for me to shoot. Accuracy was not a problem with either, so I now use my .375 almost exclusively. I even did a frontal brain shot on my big bull elephant in 2004 with my .375, though I had intended to use my .416 (found the barrel damaged when I went to zero upon arrival in camp). I should note, that both rifles have 20" barrels and are very manueverable in the bush.

Regards, D. Nelson

One of Us
Picture of Cazador humilde
posted Hide Post
Just one not so wide, but very old fellow in Zim. To the multi-buffalo hunters out there, no disrespect intended veering off the subject, but, since I'm feeling the itch to become an addicted cape buffalo hunter, have you all had all of your trophies shoulder mounted (which starts to take up a considerable amount of wall space) or have you opted for European mounts, horns-on-a-plaque, etc.?

Posts: 1278 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 31 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of almostacowboy
posted Hide Post
2- came on 3 dugga boys about 4:30 one afternoon. Took the first with one shot thru the shoulder which pierced the top of the heart.

Went back to the same area 3 days later and found the other two bedding down for the morning. One shot high on the shoulder followed by a 4-hour running gun battle before he was dropped by two .470's thru the heart.

Dave

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value."
-Thomas Paine, "American Crisis"

Posts: 816 | Location: Llano, CA Mojave Desert | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
One or two cape buffalo per year since 1992

Three water buffalo in North territory of OZ, back in the early 60s

................... beer

Mac! Have you been hunting Africa every year and not posting reports here!? For shame! shame

Cheers,
Canuck

Posts: 7122 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No kidding!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't post my hunts on this site either. One of my stories was cut and pasted by another member without my permission over from another web sight once.

After Will called my writing "flowery" I haven't had the courage to post another. Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear about some of your misfortunes with your stories. Some criticisms are unfounded or difficult to handle, but I would take any such with a grain of salt. thumb