Tools

Mark Sullivan Lion (1 picture)
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jorge:
OK, you guys cheated when you opened up yet another Sullivan Lion thread. I predicted this one would go at least five pages so if you add the post from the other, I'd be right! Big Grin

No comment, just wanted to have the post that brought it to five pages.

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
jumping

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fujotupu:
If you were to apply the "Sullivan Scale of Aging Lions" the photos you have just posted would put this animal's age at around 25 years! Big Grin

I was going to say the same thing, except that I was going to say 24 years... Now those are the teeth and the face of an old lion!

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Lhis Lion was a true 10 year + , it takes a
Phenomenal beast to survive for that long in the wild, he has the war wounds to prove it,

Posts: 494 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 10 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post

If you see how much Hair this beast still has at his Old age, he must have been a Monster when he was 7/8 years old,

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
jkhunter,
Those are really great educational photos. Good demonstration of what tooth wear really looks like in an old wild lion. Thank you sir for posting!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37898 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
50 year old specimen.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9983 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ExpressYourself
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike70560:
quote:
Originally posted by jorge:
OK, you guys cheated when you opened up yet another Sullivan Lion thread. I predicted this one would go at least five pages so if you add the post from the other, I'd be right! Big Grin

No comment, just wanted to have the post that brought it to five pages.

Too funny Mike. Congrats on making the top of the page.

Shawn Joyce
Diizche Safari Adventures
P.O. Box 1445
Lincoln, CA 95648
E-mail: shawn.joyce@diizchesafariadventures.net
Cell: (916) 804-3318

Shoot Straight, Live the Dream, and Keep Turning the Pages to Your Next Adventure!™
Website- www.DiizcheSafariAdventures.com
Blog- http://diizchesafari.blogspot.com/
Twitter- http://twitter.com/DiizcheSafari
YouTube- http://www.youtube.com/user/shawncjoyce
Facebook- http://on.fb.me/gYytdn
Instagram: diizchesafari_official

Posts: 874 | Location: Northern CA | Registered: 24 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ExpressYourself:
Here is a lion that was killed yesterday in Tanzania. Mark asked me to post it up for him. I am not able to mention the specific area of the kill.

Mark felt the lion is likely 12 years plus. It is a fabulous lion to be certain. I thought some of you might enjoy seeing the photo.

Best regards,
Shawn

By now...Mark and the outfitter should have the official age of this lion as determined by the Tanzania authorities. It would be nice for him to post the official age along with the copy of the report for all of us to learn from.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37898 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wish someone would post a list of characteristics of lions at different ages.

I have no idea how old that lion is but he looks old to me.

Posts: 12105 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:

Larry,
That is a fine lion...no questions asked. The point I want to drive home is that the chances of a hunter taking a wild 12 year old lion in todays Africa is astronomically low. And a 12 year old wild lion would be akin to a 90 year old man...he is going to look very old. Just the pics of the canines and incisors themselves is enough to remove him from the 12 year old category.

Aaron with very slight help from me did a very good presentation at a DSC local meeting.

It takes a fairly lengthy PP presentation to do it.

Maybe we could organize a webinar.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
quote:

Larry,
That is a fine lion...no questions asked. The point I want to drive home is that the chances of a hunter taking a wild 12 year old lion in todays Africa is astronomically low. And a 12 year old wild lion would be akin to a 90 year old man.

Aaron with very slight help from me did a very good presentation at a DSC local meeting.

I asked Aaron about PP presentation in another thread.

It would be awesome.

Jeff

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwana Bunduki:
quote:
quote:

Larry,
That is a fine lion...no questions asked. The point I want to drive home is that the chances of a hunter taking a wild 12 year old lion in todays Africa is astronomically low. And a 12 year old wild lion would be akin to a 90 year old man.

I asked Aaron about PP presentation in another thread.

It would be awesome.

Jeff

It takes about an hour of presentation to go over the topic well. And It is much better done in real-time.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Here is a lion that was killed yesterday in Tanzania. Mark asked me to post it up for him. I am not able to mention the specific area of the kill.

Mark felt the lion is likely 12 years plus. It is a fabulous lion to be certain. I thought some of you might enjoy seeing the photo.

Best regards,
Shawn

By now...Mark and the outfitter should have the official age of this lion as determined by the Tanzania authorities. It would be nice for him to post the official age along with the copy of the report for all of us to learn from.

coffee

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

It takes about an hour of presentation to go over the topic well. And It is much better done in real-time.
Why not just film a seminar and upload it to Youtube? That way it can be used again and again.

A day spent in the bush is a day added to your life
Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - Facebook
Hunt Australia - TV

Posts: 4456 | Location: Australia | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Milo Shanghai
posted Hide Post
quote:
I just got back to this post. Again, I can’t comment on the age as I wasn't there and can only share what I was told. Aaron and Lane, I do appreciate your opinions and input judging by what is shown in the photo. I do not have info to share regarding where this lion was killed or anything additional.

I am glad so many are able to enjoy this fabulous lion and are engaging in positive conversation about him.

Regards,
Shawn

Hi Shawn,

Now that the age is known and you are able to comment I would be very interested to know the answer.

Best wishes,
Milo.

Posts: 680 | Location: London | Registered: 03 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
horse

One of Us
Picture of Pieter Kriel
posted Hide Post
Regardless the age, congratulations to Mark and his hunter.

Thanks Shawn for posting.

Mkulu African Hunting Safaris
www.huntinginafricasafaris.com
hunt@huntinginafricasafaris.com

Posts: 210 | Location: Pretoria | Registered: 08 April 2010Reply With Quote