Find
Notify
Tools

Mark Sullivan Lion (1 picture)
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ExpressYourself
posted
Here is a lion that was killed yesterday in Tanzania. Mark asked me to post it up for him. I am not able to mention the specific area of the kill.

Mark felt the lion is likely 12 years plus. It is a fabulous lion to be certain. I thought some of you might enjoy seeing the photo.

Best regards,
Shawn

Shawn Joyce
Diizche Safari Adventures
P.O. Box 1445
Lincoln, CA 95648
E-mail: shawn.joyce@diizchesafariadventures.net
Cell: (916) 804-3318

Shoot Straight, Live the Dream, and Keep Turning the Pages to Your Next Adventure!™
Website- www.DiizcheSafariAdventures.com
Blog- http://diizchesafari.blogspot.com/
Twitter- http://twitter.com/DiizcheSafari
YouTube- http://www.youtube.com/user/shawncjoyce
Facebook- http://on.fb.me/gYytdn
Instagram: diizchesafari_official

Posts: 874 | Location: Northern CA | Registered: 24 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Magnificent kitty and he looks to be large of head and body. Congrats to Mark and his client - I presume it was shot by a client, yes? That question is NOT intended to start the pissers contest nor the horse beating. It is a beautiful cat, so I hope everyone can just enjoy it.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D R Hunter
posted Hide Post
I like seeing it!!! clap

D/R Hunter

Correct bullet placement, combined with the required depth of bullet penetration, results in an anchored animal...

Posts: 997 | Location: Florida - A Little North of Tampa  | Registered: 07 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not knowing sheep shit from Shinola shoe polish about lions, I am only asking, wouldn't a 12yr old lions teeth be worn down more than those?
Magnificent lion by the way.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry I did not pick Mark’s brain for all the specifics of who killed it. The client used a .375 H&H. The shot was 50 yards. Mark had him on bait, built a blind. They entered the blind in the dark and waited an hour and a half for it to get light. The lion was roaring the entire time. They watched him for 45 minutes before taking him.

I did not question (not to be condescending) Mark’s criteria for judging the age. I just put up the picture for general enjoyment. If I hear additional I will update this post.

Cheers,
Shawn

Shawn Joyce
P.O. Box 1445
Lincoln, CA 95648

Shoot Straight, Live the Dream, and Keep Turning the Pages to Your Next Adventure!™

Posts: 874 | Location: Northern CA | Registered: 24 January 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
So far, so good. I am impressed by both the lion and the civility. popcorn

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Beautiful lion. Congratulations to both Mark and the successful hunter.

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mohan
posted Hide Post
Nice Lion.

Posts: 97 | Location: columbus, ohio | Registered: 04 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bwana cecil:
Not knowing sheep shit from Shinola shoe polish about lions, I am only asking, wouldn't a 12yr old lions teeth be worn down more than those?

+1

I am no expert either but I have several guide books for aging Lions and according to the pictures there is no way that that Lion is 12...probably closer to 6 or 7.

Beautiful, mature, a old enough to shoot, so I say "good job" to you Mark S!

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leopardtrack:
quote:

+1

I am no expert either but I have several guide books for aging Lions and according to the pictures there is no way that that Lion is 12...probably closer to 6 or 7.

I can’t see the canine ridge or lack of it on the upper canines or the back of the lower canines to comment on wear. I can’t see the rear molars either…but I bet Mark can though :0).

Shawn

Shawn Joyce
P.O. Box 1445
Lincoln, CA 95648

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is one impressive lion. I don't think anyone can disagree with that. Any further commentary is unwarranted, IMHO.

Posts: 10382 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of twoseventy
posted Hide Post
Great lion and great photo. Thanks, Shawn. What dreams are made of.

...I say that hunters go into Paradise when they die, and live in this world more joyfully than any other men.
-Edward, duke of York

". . . when a man has shot an elephant his life is full." ~John Alfred Jordan

"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand

Cogito ergo venor- KPete

“It is not from the benevolence of the butcher, the brewer, or the baker, that we expect our dinner, but from their regard to their own self-interest. We address ourselves, not to their humanity but to their self-love, and never talk to them of our own necessities but of their advantages.”
― Adam Smith - “Wealth of Nations”

Posts: 989 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 12 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Helluva cat!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Great cat! Congrats to both the client and Mark.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well done to all participants.Cats,as grand as he,are true treasures. The full mount will amaze and educate all as to the size and power of the lion.I raise my glass to your hunt and success. Jim

Posts: 136 | Location: Great Falls,MT | Registered: 28 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Seriously great lion. Congratulations to all involved.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4781 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Milo Shanghai
posted Hide Post
Nice looking lion. Well done all.

Would be interested to hear what methods MS (or anyone else, for that matter) uses to age a just-shot lion in the field.

Going by the photo alone I would be surprised if the one in question is 12. Not looking to start a fight but would like to learn a bit about age estimation for my own enlightenment.

Posts: 680 | Location: London | Registered: 03 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Impressive.

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Awesome cat! tu2

Posts: 1077 | Location: NT, Australia | Registered: 10 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
......... Moved to the Lion thread ..........

One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ExpressYourself:
I am not able to mention the specific area of the kill.

Give me a break.

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
At least five pages... Congrats to Mark and his client.

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow!! Congratulations, that is a lion one dreams about!!

Posts: 195 | Location: Douglas, Wyoming | Registered: 14 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ExpressYourself:
quote:
Originally posted by Leopardtrack:
quote:

+1

I can’t see the canine ridge or lack of it on the upper canines or the back of the lower canines to comment on wear. I can’t see the rear molars either…but I bet Mark can though :0).

Shawn

I am not saying that the lion was too young by any means...but the chances of that lion being 12 yrs old are VERY slim.

You CAN see enough of its teeth to say that without a doubt. Should have just left the 12 year old remark out.

Even if you were just in Vegas playing the odds...they would astronomical on a 12 yr old wild lion. But...those teeth virtually guarantee it is not 12...or...even close.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37898 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
JAWS.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:

It matters not! He is a good lion, and of legal age for harvest, and that is all that counts about this lion. Further comment is not needed here!

......................................................................... beer

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was under the impression that ageing a lion was fairly difficult. But I see that some of us can judge their age with just one photograph.

Give the man his due. Great Lion!!!

Bob

One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted Hide Post
can't tell the location of I'd have to kill you?

Posts: 5232 | Location: The way life should be | Registered: 24 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yesssir!!

Dave Fulson

Posts: 1467 | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great Lion!!!!

Do you think I could buy Mark's shirt he is wearing? Sorry...can't help myself sometimes....

Jeff

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great Lion. Certainly old enough it appears to me. At any rate, if the PH says shoot, well consider it done.

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

Posts: 1929 | Location: Lafayette, LA | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Great cat. Well done.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9983 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by venda axe:
I was under the impression that ageing a lion was fairly difficult. But I see that some of us can judge their age with just one photograph.

Bob

With that photo...it is NOT hard to say with a high degree of certainty that this lion is not 12(or even close)...unless someone has been throwing him a goat carcass every 2-3 days for the last 5-6 years.

That said...I am not disputing that he is old enough to take. Congrats to the hunter.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37898 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Who gives a shit if the cat is 6 or 60 years old, that is a great trophy.

Posts: 205 | Registered: 09 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Watched it for 45 minutes....

Talk about a bonus for the client! (PH as well.)

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
quote:
Originally posted by venda axe:

Bob

With that photo...it is NOT hard to say with a high degree of certainty that this lion is not 12(or even close)...unless someone has been throwing him a goat carcass every 2-3 days for the last 5-6 years.

That said...I am not disputing that he is old enough to take. Congrats to the hunter.

Yeah....that was my thought as well Lane. Congratualtions to Mark and the hunter. What a lion!!!

Brett

PS> Kind of like.....oh by the way I've shot 14 year old sheep the last two years. Possible? Yes. Likely? Absolutely not!

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paul C:
Who gives a shit if the cat is 6 or 60 years old, that is a great trophy.

Not me sir. 6 or >...fine by me.

What I do have a problem with is BS and that statement about that lion being 12 is BS. Felt obligated to point that out...esp since I got about a dozen PM's about it.

I told him congrats.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
quote:

It matters not! He is a good lion, and of legal age for harvest, and that is all that counts about this lion. Further comment is not needed here!

......................................................................... beer

L tu2

Posts: 2094 | Location: Around the wild pockets of Europe | Registered: 09 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice Lion, what a mane. Mark and his client did great.

Tim

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice lion and I am sure the hunt with Sullivan was fantastic in all other aspects.
The lion is certainly mature and a very respectable cat
push's my buttons to want to go hunting with Mark a bit more regardless of the anti Sullivan sentiment out there

Congratulations to Mark and his client

Posts: 3617 | Location: Verdi Nevada | Registered: 01 February 2013Reply With Quote