New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who are the Go to Guys Around Here?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm new to this forum but not forums in general. On other forums there are generally go to guys who are more knowledgeable than most. I think I might like to go to Africa and hunt sometime. Who around here really knows their stuff and could be a good resource?

One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
Man, there are thousands of posts by dozens of the folks you are seeking on just about any hunting topic..

Browse or do a search on the "Find" function for a particuliar animal species, African Country, or type of hunting you desire.

Naming names could aggravate some folks--or make them a target for unwanted fan mail.

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is going to be fun to watch.

114-R10David

Posts: 1751 | Location: Prescott, Az | Registered: 30 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
I have read post here by some of the very best gun writers, gun makers, professional hunters & outfitters, target shooters, gun manufacturers and gunsmiths, taxidermists, - you name it they are here. Also some great hobyists from whom I get lots of help. I have also made a few good friends here.....

There are some other kinds of people here as well & I mostly just watch.... Wink, except if it is the Political forum ... stir ..where I have some intellectual fun!

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11020 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There's a gentleman by the name of Craig Boddington who posts here. He has over seventy safaris, and more than a dozen books out on hunting Africa. You might start by buying some of them.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
There is only ONE person on all these forums who knows it all.

He posts under the Walterhog.

But, like all geniuses, you might not be able to understand what he says!

At least that has been my experience3 with him for the past 35 years!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67480 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Definitely Walterhog.

But get a translation, or perhaps more accurately, an interpretation, ideally from Saeed, before acting on Walterhog's recommendations.

Always remember, Grasshopper: What works for the best, may not for the rest.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13483 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We are ALL more knowledgeable than most, some more so than others.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2928 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ANDREW RENTON
posted Hide Post
Contact WADE DERBY of CROSSHAIR CONSULTING, he for sure will honestly point you in the right direction,
I also think you need to inform us whether its a plains game hunt you intend doing or if you want to venture into the dangerous game hunts????
You dont have to book with me but i will help you where i can.

Posts: 51 | Location: eastern cape,south africa | Registered: 17 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted Hide Post
WE all know something, some know more than others, others know everything ..

Tell us who you are, where you live, and specifically what is the question, the answers will flow thick and faaaaaast ...

Cheers, Peter

Posts: 3331 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Walter once told me "what I have forgotten is more than you will ever know!"

Posts: 67480 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Maybe after a few years and a few thousand posts you will make up yer own mind. Just start some threads on specific questions. This site is a lot of things. You might be surprised. Check the political forum and Walters forum Big Grin

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Posted 27 April 2010 10:07 Hide Post
We are ALL more knowledgeable than most, some more so than others.

and walter more than anybody

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Scotch Bonnet,

I think you'll have to make your own determination as to who is the real deal and who is not. As soon as you ask a question there will be numerous responses. Most will be well meaning and based on that person's experience whether learned from books, forums, personal experience or both. My advise is to jump in with your questions and see what you get. You'll figure out over time who really knows the answers to your questions. Often it may not be the same person or persons as nobody can know it all.

Enjoy the forums and don't be in too much of a rush to make up your mind about anything. The more you get involved in this safari game the more you'll find there is to know.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12930 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Scotch,
A clue - look at the number of posts, the date they signed on, then try to sort out what they do, really do with their lives. It will take about 50 hours of online time to sort this out. I suggest you look at old posts as well using the search function.

Also, most of the above poster's are "go to" guys. You will enjoy anything you get out of Walterhog. He is a plethora of nonsensical information from which you may "mine" a diamond or two (of some Fool's Gold) so be careful.

Good luck.

PS - the Boddington books are a good place to start as are Doctari Robertson's books.

Posts: 10273 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of J.R.Jackson
posted Hide Post
Steve "Shakari" Robinson is a go to guy. With a great website: www.shakariconnection.com

Posts: 570 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 12 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The place you should start is with your own expectations. Hunting in Africa can mean multiple things. A ranch hunt for plainsgame in RSA with 5 star lodging, a tented hunt for Dangerous game in the bush in Tanzania, Elephant in Botswana, an entry level package hunt in Namibia or a do it yourself safari in CAR, all are possible and all different. Define what it is you would like to experience and then begin to ask some questions. If you need a frame of reference try the hunt reports, read what others have done and see what appeals to you. Than you may want to PM the people involved for more detailed info, or just pose a question. Jump in, the water's fine.

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
There is no such thing as "go to guy" here, or anywhere else.

You have to use your own judgement regarding any feedback you get.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scotch Bonnet:
I'm new to this forum but not forums in general. On other forums there are generally go to guys who are more knowledgeable than most. I think I might like to go to Africa and hunt sometime. Who around here really knows their stuff and could be a good resource?

You will find, just about everyone is an amazing genius on this site, and are happy to tell you so along the way. Mostly the 60 and up crowd that shoot Merkels and jump from 60,000 ft to camp. dancing coffee

Posts: 108 | Location: USA, Surrey, Loire France  | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Scotch-Sit down for a few hours searching a topic or destination that is of interest to you.

Posts: 1338 | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the forum.
We will all be glad to tell you everything we know, and probably more.

Posts: 1981 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Walterhog is the Guru. He is incomparable, "full" of knowledge and mischeif.

He is also a great multi-tasker, he can talk and piss Saeed off at the same time!

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of madabula
posted Hide Post
Scotch:

Welcome!

I think you will find that hunting opinions work out much like good wives vs trophy wives! If you pick one that suits you, you will be happy if you pick one that suits everyone else you will regret it!

And along those same lines I'm sure you will find wealth of good advice here but I do not recall anyone finding a wife here.

Best regards
Mike O

Posts: 290 | Location: louisville ky | Registered: 11 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SINNER:

You will find, just about everyone is an amazing genius on this site, and are happy to tell you so along the way. Mostly the 60 and up crowd that shoot Merkels and jump from 60,000 ft to camp. dancing coffee

60,000 is a gross exaggeration.

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Scotch:

Walterhog is the real demigod.

He is the stud.

The oracle.

The master.

He is known as the "Emperor of Africa."

dale

Posts: 405 | Location: Dallas, Pennsylvania | Registered: 16 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:
Scotch,
A clue - look at the number of posts, the date they signed on, then try to sort out what they do, really do with their lives. It will take about 50 hours of online time to sort this out. I suggest you look at old posts as well using the search function.

Also, most of the above poster's are "go to" guys. You will enjoy anything you get out of Walterhog. He is a plethora of nonsensical information from which you may "mine" a diamond or two (of some Fool's Gold) so be careful.

Good luck.

PS - the Boddington books are a good place to start as are Doctari Robertson's books.

Subtract 5 posts for every post done in the political forum and 10 for Walters forum. I think I am at -2,345 Big Grin

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Me...I am a legend in my own mind

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10096 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I know a lot about GE LM gas turbines, go ahead and ask away.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12603 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jack D Bold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike_Dettorre:
Me...I am a legend in my own mind

+1

Let Mike take 5 minutes to tell you everything he knows about hunting, shooting, rifles, bullets, big game, and women.

Then I will take six minutes to tell you everything we both know! Big Grin

"You only gotta do one thing well to make it in this world" - J Joplin

Posts: 1129 | Registered: 10 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
There is only ONE person on all these forums who knows it all.

He posts under the Walterhog.

But, like all geniuses, you might not be able to understand what he says!

At least that has been my experience3 with him for the past 35 years!

Yep, Walterhog,the "go to" of "go to's".

Go to sleep

Go to bed

Go to shade

Go to breakfast

Go to lunch

Go to dinner

Go to the loo

But......

For go to hell, that'd be Will....

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Practically everyone on this board is more of a go to guy than I.

If you don't believe me ask them.

pissers

Posts: 932 | Location: Delaware, USA | Registered: 13 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SGraves155:
quote:
Originally posted by SINNER:

60,000 is a gross exaggeration.

animal Big Grin animal

Posts: 3430 | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 31/2Makesmelaugh
posted Hide Post
Read Mike_Dettorre's signature and decide if this is really the best place to be asking questions:

quote:
What I have learned on AR:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place to get a steak dinner? is…you really want pork chops.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. The laws of physics do not apply to firearms in that there is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges and certain cartridges are so powerful that their kinetic energy can knock a big game animal off its feet but not knock the shooter who fired the cartridge off their feet.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified so it can carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and a detachable box magazine both use mechanical latches, only the floor plate latch is reliable regardless of the fact that almost every modern military rifle in the world uses a detachable box magazine including those chambered in 50 BMG.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact that it is the basis of the US Marine Corp M40 sniper rifle with no changes to the action and the choice of more military sniper units and law enforcement agencies than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR, and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting game that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (despite the fact most safaris take place in the winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. It is not the size of the ding in the gun's finish that matters but whether or not the ding occurred in the safe or in the field because safe dings are okay but field dings are worse.
10. In general, those who have time to make close to a 1000 posts a year on AR, know more about hunting and shooting than people who make their living in the hunting and shooting industry and have typically spent 150 days in the field or at the range each year for the last two decades.

"Archery enshrines the principles of human relationships. The Archer perfects his form within himself. If his form is perfect, yet when he releases he misses, there is no point in resenting those who have done better than him. The fault lies nowhere."(Confucious)

Posts: 115 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
The best answer to a question like the OP has asked is very simple................Hotcore!!!!!!!

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
S-B
As you have already figured out there is a fair amount of chain yanking and ribbing on this forum. Don't be put off. There is also a tremendous amount of knowledge and good info here but you have to sometimes sift to find the real deal. Welcome to the forum and don't put off Africa a minute longer. Start asking questions, read some of the posts and start planning your safari.
Good Hunting!

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3829 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would suggest Hotcore as the "go to guy".
OOPS, TEACUM beat me to it!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't know that there is one "go to guy" but there are a lot of guys here that have "been there, done that". AR is a great source of knowledge, but you have to take it all in and sort it out for yourself. Join your local safari club, talk to guys that have gone; they will be glad to share with you. Go to DSC or SCI convention and talk to people. That should point you in the right direction.

Posts: 1357 | Location: Texas | Registered: 17 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Age 67, ten safaris, hunts in Asia, etc. I'm sort of a go to guy, but there are many others here with more experience. The total knowledge and experience availbable here is limitless.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
Get your travel-sick-tablets, 'cause your head is going to spin. Cool

SUSTAINABLY HUNTING THE BLUE PLANET!
"Political language is designed to make lies sound truthful, murder respectable and to give an appearence of solidity to pure wind." Dr J A du Plessis

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The last go to guy in the US is now president and you see where that got us.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote