Find
Notify
Tools

will a .700 H&H drop a buffalo ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ivan carter
posted
Many many times even just here on AR people have asked how big to simply drop a buffalo , well my answer , without any spine being involved is that “they don’t drop”

earlier this year in dande North with Chifuti i had the opportunity to see a bull shot with a .700.

Pictured here is my friend Bill Jones , with his .700 H&H , he shot his first barrel at about 40 yards into the chest from the front ,had good penetration and the bullet went right into the chest cavity... the bull ran up a ravine and across our front where Bill shot his second barrel just behind the shoulder .this shot was at about 30 yards and the bullet went through the chest side to side and was in the muscle on the opposing side .

The bull ran another 30 yards and lay down , the finish shot killed him .

So that’s two 1000 grain softnose projectiles traveling at 2000fps each and still he went a good 100 yards !

heres a nice pic of the big old dagga boy and my tracker bashop ...

"The greatest threat to our wildlife is the thought that someone else will save it”

www.facebook.com/ivancartersafrica

www.ivancarterwca.org
www.ivancarter.com
ivan@ivancarter.com

Posts: 1201 | Location: South Africa  | Registered: 04 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JohnHunt
posted Hide Post
I bet I can drop one with a gut shot from this one...

Posts: 1678 | Registered: 16 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow, and to think... You could fit a tribe of pygmies into those wound channels Big Grin

"Sometimes nothing can be a pretty cool hand."

470 Heym; 9.3x74r Chapuis, Heym 450/400 on it's way

Posts: 653 | Location: austin, texas | Registered: 23 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ivan carter
posted Hide Post
but you will need a strong tracker to carry it jumping

"The greatest threat to our wildlife is the thought that someone else will save it”

www.ivancarterwca.org
www.ivancarter.com
ivan@ivancarter.com

Posts: 1201 | Location: South Africa  | Registered: 04 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
or a tribe of pygmies BOOM

"Sometimes nothing can be a pretty cool hand."

470 Heym; 9.3x74r Chapuis, Heym 450/400 on it's way

Posts: 653 | Location: austin, texas | Registered: 23 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Code4
posted Hide Post
I have no experience (yet) on Buff.

That is an amazing result you report here. Going one step furthur then, can I infer that the only instantaniously effective shot on a Buffalo involves the CNS ? Surely a good soft through the heart has dropped some Buff ? I ask, because I don't know.

Posts: 1432 | Location: Australia | Registered: 21 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What is interesting is that I dropped a buffalo bull at 65 yards on a frontal shot, slightly quartering. That bull dropped like a rock!...

...With a .600

Not a spinal shot either.

Remeber that one Ivan?

JW

one of us
posted Hide Post
That is what makes buffalo hunting so fun.

I had still rather hunt elephants. Big Grin

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
Ivan, I see Bill's fingers are scuffed up. Is that from the trigger guard due to firing this Land Cannon? I'm curious why so few take the neck shot when presented. Your view on the subject?
Cheers,
David

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6804 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ivan carter:
Many many times even just here on AR people have asked how big to simply drop a buffalo , well my answer , without any spine being involved is that “they don’t drop”

earlier this year in dande North with Chifuti i had the opportunity to see a bull shot with a .700.

Pictured here is my friend Bill Jones , with his .700 H&H , he shot his first barrel at about 40 yards into the chest from the front ,had good penetration and the bullet went right into the chest cavity... the bull ran up a ravine and across our front where Bill shot his second barrel just behind the shoulder .this shot was at about 30 yards and the bullet went through the chest side to side and was in the muscle on the opposing side .

The bull ran another 30 yards and lay down , the finish shot killed him .

So that’s two 1000 grain softnose projectiles traveling at 2000fps each and still he went a good 100 yards !

heres a nice pic of the big old dagga boy and my tracker bashop ...

......Well, maybe he should have been useing a 45-70 with hard cast lead ammo!

jumping jumping jumping jumping
........ BOOM....... diggin

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by L. David Keith:
Ivan, I see Bill's fingers are scuffed up. Is that from the trigger guard due to firing this Land Cannon? I'm curious why so few take the neck shot when presented. Your view on the subject?
Cheers,
David

I'm not Ivan, nor do I assume that I know more than he, but I can say the neck shot on any animals is risky at best, and especially on an animal that doesn't sucume reddily to shock, like a Cape Buffalo! The cape buffalo have a very large neck that has nothing vital in it, but sure pisses him off if you punch a big hole through that space, and miss the spine!

DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Code4:
I have no experience (yet) on Buff.

That is an amazing result you report here. Going one step furthur then, can I infer that the only instantaniously effective shot on a Buffalo involves the CNS ? Surely a good soft through the heart has dropped some Buff ? I ask, because I don't know.

Code4, in my experience a heart shot buffalo will travel much fartehr than one shot through the shoulder bones, or hips. It is amazing how far a buffalo can go after both lungs and heart are shot to tatters! As Ivan said It seems the only thing that will drop a cape Buffalo in his tracks, and keep him down is a dirrect hit in the CNS!

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
Congrats to Bill, my fellow Alabamian. I've seen his collection of doubles and other fine rifles at our local safari club banquet. To say his collection is impressive is a huge understatement. I laid eyes on the 700 and the ammo, but I was too girly to touch it.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2988 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Is this the same Bill Jones that will be hunting with Craig Boddington and who won the Punki auction? That has to be finger damage from shooting that monster! Nice buff!

One of Us
Picture of ivan carter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Cheers,
David

yes that was trigger guard damage , the neck of a buff is wierd kind of drops low and then curves up so hard to tell exactly where the bone is ...

Bill is an awesome guy and has an incredible eye for beautiful double rifles . he is always a pleasure to hunt with ...

www.ivancarterwca.org
www.ivancarter.com
ivan@ivancarter.com

One of Us
Picture of JohnHunt
posted Hide Post
This one might do the job as well, who needs puny lead spitters

Posts: 1678 | Registered: 16 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ivan carter
posted Hide Post
quote:
What is interesting is that I dropped a buffalo bull at 65 yards on a frontal shot, slightly quartering. That bull dropped like a rock!...

...With a .600

Not a spinal shot either.

ya that was quite a shot ...it was also a soft wasnt it ?

Remeber that one Ivan?

JW

www.ivancarterwca.org
www.ivancarter.com
ivan@ivancarter.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ivan,
From the looks of that gun, I would suggest dropping the gun on the buffalo - that should knock him off his feet.

Or better yet, drop a couple of the cartridges on him....

Posts: 10153 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
"... and still he went a good 100 yards !" much like a 9.3x62 ...a 375 ...a 416 ...a 458 ...

I am back from a long Hiatus... or whatever.
Take care.
smallfry

Posts: 2045 | Location: West most midwestern town. | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
The only sure way of dropping a buffalo in its tracks is if you hit the brain, neck or spine.

We jumped 3 bulls lying in long grass, and they ran off. We ran after them, and despite following them fo several hours, we could not find them. The area was covered in buffalo tracks, so it wasn't easy to be sure which track is which.

Eventually we gave up and stopped to have a drink before we head back to the truck. What we did not realize was that the bulls were less than 300 yards from us!!

One of the trackers saw them, and we shot all three. I shot the first one in the chest, he ran off a few yards and stopped before falling down. The othet two stopped next to him. I shot both in the spine, dropping all three with a few yards of each other.

I will post the video later in the day.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66954 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm curious why so few take the neck shot when presented.

bewildered

Seloushunter beer

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

One of Us
Picture of ivan carter
posted Hide Post
quote:
The only sure way of dropping a buffalo in its tracks is if you hit the brain, neck or spine.

i agree 100% ...

even on the buff jeff and i took , i am sure if we truly did a full dissection we would have found that the spine may have been touched ...

www.ivancarterwca.org
www.ivancarter.com
ivan@ivancarter.com

Administrator
posted Hide Post

Posts: 66954 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well done Saeed !

Seloushunter

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
I have personally had 3 buffalo drop instantly from shots that took out the top of the heart-great vessels, without hitting the spine. Of course, that's not a guarantee that it will happen again.

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That is a nice buffalo.....I would be happy shooting him with my 416 Rigby!!!

Posts: 1361 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I have, on several occasions, shot buffalo in the neck and head when the situation warants, and never had any problems.

But, I am using a scope, which does make placing the shot accurately much easier.

one of us
posted Hide Post
In 2004 I shot an old dagga. I hit him twice through the lungs with a quick right and left from my .470. Twenty or so minute later when walked up on him in thick brush he still had enough life left in him to try and kill us.

In 2008 I shot one with fairly similar shot placement with one round from my .375H&H he went less than 50 yards and piled up dead within seconds.

The moral of the story? There simply isn't any telling on a buffalo sometimes.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed,

That was a great video and brought back memories. I recognized Roy Vincent's stick before I saw him in the film

The first animal I shot in Africa was with Roy and it was a neck shot on a buffalo. It missed the spine but took out the carotid artery and the jugular vein... can't say I was aiming at that anatomy. After that Roy had me shoot only through the chest.

I hunted with another PH who had me shoot head shots on buffalo with my 416 Rigby double (scoped). The head on shot between the eyes will drop a buffalo as will the lateral brain shot but the latter is a little tricky with the horns. These are the only buffalo I shot that instantly dropped.

Great Video

Posts: 159 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: 15 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I thought conventional wisdom on buff was to use solids, like Saeed in his .375" Is that contravened once you get to the truly big bores?

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dr L. S. Wirthlin:
Saeed,

That was a great video and brought back memories. I recognized Roy Vincent's stick before I saw him in the film

The first animal I shot in Africa was with Roy and it was a neck shot on a buffalo. It missed the spine but took out the carotid artery and the jugular vein... can't say I was aiming at that anatomy. After that Roy had me shoot only through the chest.

I hunted with another PH who had me shoot head shots on buffalo with my 416 Rigby double (scoped). The head on shot between the eyes will drop a buffalo as will the lateral brain shot but the latter is a little tricky with the horns. These are the only buffalo I shot that instantly dropped.

Great Video

If you enjoyed this video, you will find many more on the Photo and Video Forum.

One of Us
Picture of ivan carter
posted Hide Post
quote:
I thought conventional wisdom on buff was to use solids, like Saeed in his .375" Is that contravened once you get to the truly big bores?

with modern day "tough" softs they work excellent , a solid will often pass right through wasting a bunch of energy , also not a good idea if you are hunting a group of bulls or a bull out of a herd.

www.ivancarterwca.org
www.ivancarter.com
ivan@ivancarter.com

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by onefunzr2:

I have not used solids on buffalo since 1982.

I have used Trophy Bonded Bear Claws in my 416 rifles, and Barnes X and Walterhog bullets in my 375/404.

As Ivan mentioned, I find these much better for buffalo as they seem to cause a lot more damage than solids.

This remrak has been echoes by all the PH I have hunted with.

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Solids just wind up many times wounding buff instead of killing them.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19307 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My mistake, as I put the monometal Walterhog and Barnes X type bullets in the solid category as they have no lead core.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed.. thanks again for that link of your videos. It will give me and my sons who went on those Roy Vincent Safaris many moments of pleasureable memories.

I can hear the flies and can almost smell the bush.

I also only used Swift A framees (originals) and the original Barnes X bullet in my 416 Rigby rifles and they did the job on Buffalo.

Again many thanks

Posts: 159 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: 15 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It wouldn't surprise me to hear that a whitetail deer was hit through the lungs with a 700 and ran 100 yards. Lung shots just don't always kill quickly on any big game species. I have seen it happen on mule deer does and female impala shot with a 375 H&H and a md doe shot with a 45-70.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ovny
posted Hide Post
Really big bore. This cartridge is impressive.

Oscar.

I am Spanish

My forum:www.armaslargasdecaza.com

Posts: 1131 | Location: Spain (Madrid) | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I killed two with one shot each from a .458WM. Really, I did. I swear. And they went shorter distances.

Posts: 1330 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am only an armchair DG hunter but I have read a lot of the greats' books.

If my memory is correct, was it not standard procedure to shoot DG into the shoulder as a protection against charges for the hunter?I also thought heart, lung shots were meant more for plains games.

I hope this is taken as a genuine question as that is the way it is meant.

Regards,
brair