Find
Notify
Tools

The hunt for medals
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted
Whilst SCI does a tremendous amount of good and I am not debating that here, I personally feel that they are mainly responsible for the demise of sport hunting as I know it. I find that the pursuit of recognition and medals has changed hunting in Africa and it has now become urgent and competitive for many. Seemingly there is a generation of sportsmen more interested in the collection of species and numbers of rather than the physical hunting of them? For some maybe this is all they know?

The reason I am concerned is that I have recently had two enquiries for Roan in Luangwa and both ‘have to have it’ for some SCI category. It was then pointed out to me that I was over priced compared to the bargains to be had in West Africa, and although these are western and not southern Roan this seemed of no importance? Seemingly neither was the hunting of, location and quality of experience.

Another example (and there are many) is that I have hunted these ‘have to haves’ and the safaris were little more than a frantic and frustrating search for different species.

Surely this is not what hunting in Africa is about? Or is it?

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9956 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Code4
posted Hide Post
I've met two hunters at O.T. heading home from 'failed' hunts.

One didn't get his Leopard and the other husband and wife team had been to Africa 16 times and this was the second failed safari as he only got a 14' croc..

No mention was made of the country side, the people they had met or the new experiences they (may) have experienced.
It is all me, me, me.

I think you certainly have a point. All the talk is mostly about 'the inches' and I know the PH's feel that pressure as well.

Posts: 1433 | Location: Australia | Registered: 21 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Anders
posted Hide Post
The collective aspect of hunting shouldn't be the most important. Well, I guess this is twofold (or maybe even more?).

Trophy collecting will maybe distant people from the right apects of hunting. The success will be from numbers off game and size and not experiences. This is bad. Then trophy collecting might create an unwanted focus from anti hunters. Hunting for inches and collecting rare species doesn't sound good to people not involved in our great sport.

The good thing is that it might send people to locations they actually didn't think of and creating and interest in hunting the worlds diversity. This generates more hunting and thus conservation (most of the time)..

As a sidenote I would mention that not all sub species are made by biological decisions. Smiler

Anders

Hunting and fishing DVDs from Mossing & Stubberud Media: www.jaktogfiskedvd.no

..and my blog at: http://andersmossing.blogspot.com

Posts: 1959 | Location: Norway | Registered: 19 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Zig Mackintosh
posted Hide Post
I think that any PH worth his salt is troubled by this from time to time. But if it means keeping what is left of the African wilderness free from the cow and plough, then IMHO whatever it takes!

Posts: 240 | Location: South Africa/Zimbabwe | Registered: 31 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
As a sidenote I would mention that not all sub species are made by biological decisions.

Thats unfortunatly true thumbdown

Seloushunter

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't find people that hunt and want record book entries offensive. What I do find offensive are people that condem people for their wants. To some the entries in the record books, be they SCI,B&C,RW etc. To many of them it adds to the challenge and a game they enjoy. Personally I don't think if an animial doesn't make the SCI book it is not representive of the species, because SCI standards are very low. JMO

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All points well made. I shouldn't even comment on this. After all much of the "have to have" mentality is what keeps us working. Yes it bothers me when a client shows up, shoots up his "list", and leaves never really knowing or careing where he's actually been nor, shall we say, savoring the moment. There have been exceptions to this...but not many.

Rich Elliott

Rich Elliott
Ethiopian Rift Valley Safaris

Posts: 2013 | Location: Crossville, IL 62827 USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ChetNC
posted Hide Post
Hard for me to understand how anyone could used the term failed and safari in the same sentence unless they failed to go, failed to plan, or failed to make it home with any cash. Big Grin But to each his own. For me, SCI bush bingo isn't something I would enjoy. Then again, I say a little prayer for a big'un before each hunt.

We might as well discuss religion as hunt motivation.

However, it is the dollars of others (no matter their motivation) that keep the sport alive and there have been very few hunters I could not share a fire with.

Posts: 348 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 03 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
it has been my belief for a long time that the record book should exist for the trophy animals, not the hunter. it is a fine measurement device to see what a good mature animal should be. i just think it should leave out all human names

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of Crowkiller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:
it has been my belief for a long time that the record book should exist for the trophy animals, not the hunter. it is a fine measurement device to see what a good mature animal should be. i just think it should leave out all human names

Best idea I've heard.

I wanted to take mature animals, but the quality of the hunt was just as important.

TANSTAAFL

Posts: 73 | Location: Georgia USA | Registered: 31 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
I had the joy of hunting with Jon Bieber in Zimbabwe this month. We were hunting with Lou and George Hallamore. Not once did anyone say a word about a medal, a record book or anything but hunting, families, careers... pleasant things.

Jon is such a gentleman that, even when "unsuccessful" in getting the animal he wanted, he remained upbeat, positive about returning to Africa and just plain fun to be around.

Everyone could learn something from a guy like that. I did.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7694 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
Maybe there should be a 'test' of some sort, so we could only let folks hunt for the 'right' reasons and deny those that fail to meet the high standard.

I mean, come on, the audacity of some to take their time and their money, spend it as they wish, and not enjoy the sunset. Damn barbarians is what I say.

Wink

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3108 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Butchloc has it right boys. If you want a medal, bring in Bin Laden's head.

Dave Fulson

Posts: 1467 | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Die Ou Jagter:
I don't find people that hunt and want record book entries offensive. What I do find offensive are people that condem people for their wants. To some the entries in the record books, be they SCI,B&C,RW etc. To many of them it adds to the challenge and a game they enjoy. Personally I don't think if an animial doesn't make the SCI book it is not representive of the species, because SCI standards are very low. JMO

I haven't much interest in messuring my animals or putting them in the book. That said I certainly wouldn't condemn anyone for doing so. It is rather nausiating though that people go over to slaughter a list by any means without the joy of the hunt, the people, or the place. That's just sad!

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Dave: +1 tu2

One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
Anyone else believe in "hunting karma"? I, for one, firmly assert that the LESS one cares about inches or weight or mass, the more likely that person is to succeed in the aquisition of these things. It's always the guy with the measuring tape in their pockets who seem to come up short.

one of us
Picture of Safari-Hunt
posted Hide Post
You, can hunt with that record book under your arm but if you dont have any good luck along you will never open it.

I must be honest if a client does bag a very nice animal without being after it or looking for that specific species to make the book it makes the trophy more special its like getting an extra unexpected bonus.

Frederik Cocquyt
I always try to use enough gun but then sometimes a brainshot works just as good.

Posts: 2548 | Location: Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa | Registered: 06 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
OK chaps you are all welcome in my camp.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I have one whole safari under my belt and my whole goal on that hunt was to "hunt in Africa". Everything else was secondary to that.

I talked to my PH on the ride from the airport to the hunting area and I told him that all I expected was to have fun. My goals were to hunt for mature, representative plains game species and enjoy the variety of people, scenery, food and experiences. I did get a "book" steenbok from that hunt but that wasn't (and still isn't) an important part of that trip.

The trip was the high point of my hunting life and I can't imagine having a better time except for on my next safari.

In 2011 I'm going back for Buff and I'll be happy if I get the opportunity to hunt for a hard bossed Bull. All I worry about is having a fun time with a PH who enjoys his job.

Although I would mind getting a bull like this, that's not what the trip is for.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, I really can't understand a hunter who wishes to "try to set some sort of high ground for what they do/how they hunt".

It's none of your damn business how anyone hunts...as long as it's legal. I don't give a rip what someone's motivation or desires for trophies. I know guys who've just gone and shot tons of stuff, and didn't take a thing home, no horns, hides, Nothing, and it wasn't because they couldn't afford it, they just didn't have a desire for any physical parts.

The SCI record books and awards is just like a "fantasy football group"...it provides a certain group of people a chance to interact, socialize, and record their achievements. Ang guess what, people in SCI who participate in those programs don't give a rip about what you think!

Where do you guys get off talking shit on other hunters? Who makes you the supreme authority...this is exactly what ANTI-HUNTERS want! To destroy unity of the hunting crowd.

Rifle, bow, crossbow, spear, knife, dog, whatever your preference more power to you! As long as it's legal in that country or state I dont give a crap how you kill animals/hunt.

And let's not start defining what's hunting and what's killing, because in the end, it's a dead animal. And hunting isn't what it was like 100 yrs ago ANYWHERE ON EARTH!

WHO ARE YOU KIDDING???? Just enjoy your hunting and stop trying to tear down others hunters who are different from yourself.

Posts: 725 | Location: Texas | Registered: 05 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
fjold:

My one and only experience in Africa (sadly) was like yours - for buff - and I enjoyed everything about the bush. I had hunted in North America for nearly 50 years before I ever saw Africa - and, like you , found it to be another world -with which I came to fall in love with. Definitely go back! You are a hunter (with all that means) and not there to run up a score. Each experience with an animal is a personal experience -a hunting experience.

Posts: 680 | Location: NY | Registered: 10 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
fairgame"

I am on record as having said that I felt very uneasy about SCI's awards for killing so many variations of a particular species (like antelope) I say this even though I was quite proud that my buff made the SCI Record Book (Africa,9th Ed,p.89) -before I became acquainted with the system. Look,I simply happen to think that shooting at a particular animal is a very personal experience. If it pleases some people to rack up scores - then that is what pleases them -and it's a free country. It just never was for me.

Posts: 680 | Location: NY | Registered: 10 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
tendrams,

I always carry a tape measure and I recommend my clients do. A tape measure keeps everybody honest including the client. It also makes you a better hunter in that after you measure a few animals you begin to get a feel for what a good trophy looks like. I've never had a PH offer any objection to me measuring a trophy. If it really is a good one they want to know the measurement too. I'm not one of those guys whose safari success depends on inches but I like to know if I've achieve the personal goals I've set for myself.

The hunt itself is most important to me but I want the best trophies I can get. I don't go on safari just to shoot animals. I think Like most safari hunters I want mature animals of good trophy quality and I'm willing to turn down inferior specimens with little regret. This is quite different than the hunter that carries a tape measure but focuses his safari on record book measurement rather than the total expereince.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
quote:

Although I would mind getting a bull like this, that's not what the trip is for.

No matter what we might think our reasons are for going, not one of us wouldn't like to come across this chap.

Von Gruff.

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2693 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Andrew - What about our Defassa Waterbuck???

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ChetNC
posted Hide Post
Mark,
I completely understand what you are saying but I don't carry a tape for somewhat similiar reasons that you do.
I want to learn how to identify a mature example on the hoof through means OTHER THAN inches. For me, if I look at horn/antler inches while he is one the hoof, I find myself overlooking other signs that are also reliable indicators of maturity. For me, this is especially true with subtle things like gait and behavior within a herd. When I was introduced to Africa, I realized how long it would take me to become familiar with so many species but yet, horn length is just a single metric and it is not always linear.
To extend the thought, I think that is one reason why 10x+ scopes sell well in areas that have mostly 100 yard shoots - because hunters like to shop horns. Unfortunately, it also tends to narrow my field of view as well -literally and figuratively. The tape simply becomes a report card of that one metric so I try to keep it in perspective by not having it on me.

Posts: 348 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 03 April 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
On my first few hunts including my first African safari every animal that made SCI book was registered. Then after a period of reflection I concluded this was not for me and I have since not registered anything although my taxidermist is a SCI scorer and does it automatically.

That said I have gone on hunts since and I am very aware of SCI minimums but it is a useful as a reference only as not all areas hold high quality trophy animals of every species present. For instance my sable does not make book, would I shoot him again......in a heart beat. My first African safari was in an area of not so good impala quality so we found an old beat up warrior and I was very happy with him even without making book. My PH was convinced the kudu we were about to stalk was in the 53 inch range. We put on one hell of a stalk through a baboon troop. My window of opportunity was only a few seconds. The kudu taped 49+ inches as his curls were very tight. I thought my PH was going to get out a whip and start an extended round of self flaggelation. I didn't feel particularly bad as the experience had been really good and later I felt a lot better when we ran into another PH on the way back to the skinning shed who glanced at the animal in the back of the land cruiser and said 54 inches. When he was told the real number his jaw literally drop and he demanded we tape it again on the spot (he was the boss).

As a rule I don't want to shoot a smaller specimen of the same trophy species than that which I have already shot/collected.

I guess what I'm saying have your tape handy but don't let it color the experience.

Posts: 932 | Location: Delaware, USA | Registered: 13 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
I have wanted to address this issue of the record book for some time, so here goes:

I have carried a tape on some safaris and not on others. I prefer to have one and to take "field" measurements of all my animals. Why? So that I know when my mount arrives from Africa some 6-12 months after the safari, that I actually receive "my" trophy. I have enough experience in Africa - more than the average hunter on AR - to have been the victim of unscrupulous or inept taxidermists, shippers, outfitters, et. al. Had a well known taxidermist attempt to steal my Ele hide back in 1998, as an example and had an outfitter try to avoid customs and immigration in another incident.

As to the record book, well I am an Official Measurer for both SCI and Rowland Ward. I have entered most of my African animals, even the ones that did not make the record book (representative). There are many good reasons to enter your trophies. If you decide you want to do a Bongo hunt, for example, you would be wise to check the record book to see where the current production of bongo occur and perhaps where the big ones are coming from as well as which outfitters and PHs are successful on Bongo. Beats posting the question on AR of "want to hunt a bongo" and going solely on the answers received, some of which will be from folks who have never hunted Bongo. And, given the choice, any hunter will take the larger trophy animal, if only because that generally indicates an older animal and that falls under the heading of ethical hunting.

The "book" also provides information of an environmental and scientific basis for research on a broad spectrum of issues that ultimately directly affect our sport. Preferred habitat, availability of year round water, proximity to human populations. You can't hunt Sitatunga in the desert. My next safari will be for another Elephant and I have already done the research, including speaking with a number of AR members who have taken more Ele than I, and that has helped me select the areas I want to hunt and gives me a starting point for selecting a very experienced Ele PH.

I have taken the Big 5 and approximately 50 African species over the past 15 years and have put almost all of them in the book, although I usually do not enter anything beyond two of one species, Cape Buff as an example. An entry includes the area & country as well as the PH involved in each trophy. You can be assured that information has some degree of importance to the PH and/or outfitter. I was fortunate in that a few of my animals happen to have scored #1 at the time they were taken. I used the SCI category "African 29" as a guide to help me collect different species. This is one of the SCI categories that has the fewest award winners as it requires a degree of commitment well beyond acquiring most of the awards. I have taken 28 of the required species and may never complete the requirements. So what? It was the idea of working towards the goal and enjoying the divergence of the hunts for specific animals that was the fun for me, as well as keeping me from shooting all the Kudu in Africa, which would have left none for you. I hunted Leopard x3 before taking one. And Lion, which is a high priced, generally 21 day safari that requires relatively expensive bait animals, took two such safaris before I got him. And yes, I passed on immature Lions that were offered to me and canned SA hunts, in order to take a true wild and mature Lion. I literally spent my small inheritance hunting africa, with no regrets except that I wish I could have made it last longer and done even more safari.

In conclusion of what may already be a post too long, Let me simply say that the SCI fee for entering an animal into the record book is a very reasonable $35 and for that price you don't "buy" any kind of award, plaque, patch, statue or medal. You simply contribute to the base of information on African animals and are recorded in the book. IMO everyone who hunts anywhere in the world should enter their animals into the record book.

Cheers beer

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oryxhunter1983:
Well, I really can't understand a hunter who wishes to "try to set some sort of high ground for what they do/how they hunt".

It's none of your damn business how anyone hunts...as long as it's legal. I don't give a rip what someone's motivation or desires for trophies. I know guys who've just gone and shot tons of stuff, and didn't take a thing home, no horns, hides, Nothing, and it wasn't because they couldn't afford it, they just didn't have a desire for any physical parts.

The SCI record books and awards is just like a "fantasy football group"...it provides a certain group of people a chance to interact, socialize, and record their achievements. Ang guess what, people in SCI who participate in those programs don't give a rip about what you think!

Where do you guys get off talking stuff on other hunters? Who makes you the supreme authority...this is exactly what ANTI-HUNTERS want! To destroy unity of the hunting crowd.

Rifle, bow, crossbow, spear, knife, dog, whatever your preference more power to you! As long as it's legal in that country or state I dont give a crap how you kill animals/hunt.

And let's not start defining what's hunting and what's killing, because in the end, it's a dead animal. And hunting isn't what it was like 100 yrs ago ANYWHERE ON EARTH!

WHO ARE YOU KIDDING???? Just enjoy your hunting and stop trying to tear down others hunters who are different from yourself.

For the record "Fantasy Football" is gay!!! Big Grin

I think a PH stating he prefers hunting with clients that enjoy more than the inches and clients expressing what they appreciate about safari and the fact that it turns them off when other people are ONLY concerned with inches is hardly wrong or condemning or devisive for that matter. If that's what you choose to do that's fine. Just don't expect everyone to appreciate your mentality (if that is your mentality). Having opinions like this help us to find like minded PHs and hunting partners that make us enjoy our outdoor experiences even more. And one more time I'd just like to reiterate that fantasy footbal is gay! Not just gay, but really, really gay! Big Grin Thanks.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:

Where do you guys get off talking shit on other hunters? Who makes you the supreme authority...this is exactly what ANTI-HUNTERS want! To destroy unity of the hunting crowd.

And you Oryxhunter are not invited to my camp.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brett Adam Barringer:
quote:

For the record "Fantasy Football" is gay!!! Big Grin

I think a PH stating he prefers hunting with clients that enjoy more than the inches and clients expressing what they appreciate about safari and the fact that it turns them off when other people are ONLY concerned with inches is hardly wrong or condemning or devisive for that matter. If that's what you choose to do that's fine. Just don't expect everyone to appreciate your mentality (if that is your mentality). Having opinions like this help us to find like minded PHs and hunting partners that make us enjoy our outdoor experiences even more. And one more time I'd just like to reiterate that fantasy footbal is gay! Not just gay, but really, really gay! Big Grin Thanks.

Brett

X2. Especially the fantasy football note.

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Neilson:
Andrew - What about our Defassa Waterbuck???

Aaron,

Many have an interest in hunting different animals, some are partial to one such as Buffalo. But those who come specifically to endorse a catalogue of species seem to concentrate too much on goals set by others and rarely acknowledge what Africa is about. The safari becomes intense, focused and often frustrating. Bit like shopping with my wife.

Aaron you for one know what I am talking about and your passion for hunting trophy free ranging Lion is surely Africa at its best?

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Whilst SCI does a tremendous amount of good and I am not debating that here, I personally feel that they are mainly responsible for the demise of sport hunting as I know it. I find that the pursuit of recognition and medals has changed hunting in Africa and it has now become urgent and competitive for many. Seemingly there is a generation of sportsmen more interested in the collection of species and numbers of rather than the physical hunting of them? For some maybe this is all they know?

Andrew,
Finally something upon which we agree!!! tu2

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37821 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have friends who hunt too much for the tape, the book, the medals. They tend to never be satisfied with a hunt, area, Ph, really never satisfied with the whole shebang. Makes me wonder why they keep doing it, if they don't like it so much.

"Another 1/4" and he would have made gold" rather than, "it was a helluva stalk, we worked hard, were successful and took a beautiful animal." Or, "the sob told me it would go gold, but it missed by a half inch..." rather than "We tried, but the wary old'un got the best of us, great hunt though."

Funny thing is that on the ride from the airport on my first safari I told the PH that good hunting, exploring a bit of Africa, learning was my goal, along with taking some representative, muture animals. I had a hell of a fun hunt, fell in love with hunting elephants. I also killed a bunch of critters that would make the book and bring medals: Chobie and Limpopo bushbuck, waterbuck, kudu, wildebeast, buff. I was told this by the PH, who taped every animal. I confirmed it when I returned home.

I asked why he taped them when it wasn't a big deal to me, and he said, "To make me a better judge of trophy size for my clients." That makes sense. I knew that PH names were included in book entries, and he was a young guy, so I asked him if he would like me to enter them so he was noted as PH, so it might help his carreer. He told me it didn't matter one way or the other to him. I never entered them. They are trophies to me, and me alone. And that is the same with animals that I have killed that wouldn't make the book or bring a medal too.

Odie, I shot a kudu and the PH measured it. He scratched his head and re-measured it. I asked if he'd overestimated it - it was beautiful and didn't make a difference to me - and he siad, "No, actually, I underestimated him by five or six inches, his horns turn wider spirals than I'd thought." The kudu went over 59".

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
"Well, I really can't understand a hunter who wishes to "try to set some sort of high ground for what they do/how they hunt". OryxHunter1983

I think I understand your disagreeemnt with criticism of other's hunting objectives, but not sure that the above statement really says what you mean.

IMO, as adults, we must set a "high ground" or "minimum acceptable level" for both our professions/work, and our past-times. As LionHunter pointed out, the RecordBooks have their functions. But I choose to avoid folks who think the most important part of Hunting is whether the Hunter gets a Gold or Silver Medal-or High Ranking Trophy Book animal as their "Trophy". Those folks are very different from the Hunters who wish to enjoy the camp, the outdoors, the tests of their skill or fortitude, and the hoped-for taking of a mature male of the species--all of which together comprises their "reward" or "trophy" for their endeavor, not their name in a book for slaying an animal under circumstances that have no importance to them. And I suspect most of us have met such folks.

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brett, Fairgame, and JPK-

Just to clear up some things, I don't participate in any type of "fantasy sport". In fact, I don't watch any sports of any kind...it's just not my thing. I couldn't name 5 quarterbacks for a 100k if you offered. And I agree with you that it is gay, however, I don't go around talking sh*t about people who find it enjoyable.

Fairgame, thank you for banning me from your hunting camp. I find it interesting that my pointing out the facts that each hunter has a right to hunt for whatever reasons they choose to be so offensive to you.

THE BEST PART IS THIS... YOU'RE Response to an email I sent you at the end of February.... Let me first put the email I sent you.

" Andrew,
> thanks for the email, I'm always looking for new places to visit, what type
> of kudu are there? I've shot a waterbuck, could take a puku, hippo,
> buff,klipsringer, what are some of the lesser game? do ya'll have roan or
> sable, different types of hartebeest? crocodile? sitatunga? send me some
> photos, I'm interested in 2011 and beyond, I've got a 3 week trip planned to
> namibia this year for leopard, giraffe, a host of other plainsgame. I'm a collector, want to shoot one of everything, so good for whatever! send me
> your price lists, pics, hunting info, ect....
> thanks
> jerad
>
NOW FAIRGAME'S Response: Notice the 1st thing he responded back with!!!!!
Hi Jerad,

Good attitude. We have the following that would interest you:

Roan
Lichtenstein's Hartebeest
Puku
Southern Kudu
Hippo
Croc
Klipspringer
Sharpes Grysbok
Civet
Bushpig
Also Impala, Warthog, Hyena, Duiker.
I will have to make up a package for you as this would be a customised
safari and you will probably require 14 days.
No we do not have Sitatunga but I could book one on a game farm?
If you are interested I could quote for Kafue and Black Lechwe?
Will forward you more details and price tomorrow.

Regards

Andrew

SO Andrew which is it? Am I invited to come hunt? or what?

Amazing how saving a few emails pays off...during our correspondence I really thought wow, this guy seems really nice, but your childish "banning from your camp" really speaks to your character.

For all to know, I have 3 other emails dealing with Andrews hunt operations, he sure did seem to want me to book something...

Posts: 725 | Location: Texas | Registered: 05 October 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
Whatever floats your boat. As for me, if I was interested in "score" I would play golf. To me a trophy animal has small horns, . . . . . . . . because he has worn them down with age. Like this old guy (the one in front Big Grin).

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3832 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
I “shopped” on my first trip to SA, I thought from reading SCI that this is what one did, and the PH’s reinforced this. It was fun, but I don’t remember today any of the SCI scores, only that I should have saved a few of the animals and hunted them differently where they would mean more to me. Live and learn. Thankfully everything was so new and exciting that it didn’t spoil the trip. If somebody is motivated about collecting and/or the numbers, good for them, and who knows how they might feel in a couple of years. Yes stress on the PH, but of course they always have the prerogative of turning down a client. Unless of course, they want to eat! So you take the bad with the good, we most all do it in our chosen profession.

Since then, I’ve had what one might call a tape-measure safari, and also returned home after 2 weeks of hunting elephant with nothing more than a pair of guinea fowl to my name. Most were somewhere in between. All were awesome.

I have splurged on full-body mounts for more than a few trophies, and I have left horns in Africa taking only the pictures and memories home with me.

But for a safari to be most rewarding, especially at this stage in the game where the walls are full, I need a goal. Every hunt and animal is different for me. Sometimes the goal is a certain sized animal, other times an old one, maybe hunted in a certain manner, and lately I am attracted to broken-horn animals. My dream “trophy” buffalo is either 50-inches with a huge drop, or an ancient scrum cap bull, hunted on foot of course. Would I shoot a nice old bull found deep in the hills, yup.

Different hunts have different themes. Some are adventures to new and exciting places, others tests of my physical and/or mental toughness, others centered around a specific animal, and some just about having a nice time in the bush with a mate.

It is great not having any stress on a hunt, as a “once in a lifetime hunt” – where you feel it is your only shot at a certain animal – can suck all the fun out of a trip. Speaking of which, for my Lord Derby Eland, I was not obsessing on “50-inches” but having it meet the RW minimum was a goal, as was it being a mature male with a black mane and a big dewlap (foot hunted was a guarantee). On this trip, I wanted an old gnarly-horned lone dagga-buff, preferably red in color but that didn’t work out. The other game, I didn’t care, as long as they were mature (ended up taking a huge cob which the PH was thrilled about). I love my LDE mount, but only because it reminds me of what was my coolest adventure to date.

Soon I’m going to be hunting croc, I have turned down 10-12 footers and will do so on this trip, no pressure on me or the PH (although I am sure he is hoping I shoot one!). Ditto with a sable, I want an old black bull with long-sweeping horns, hunted in a dangerous game area on foot, or I’ll pass as I have before. While walking, any broken-horned animal, or an eland wearing a mop, or a freaky kudu, will be in trouble. Bushbuck is always on the menu. A big old angry tuskless elephant shot at close range in the jess too please. The most important element of this trip though is a “spike camp” deep in the bush where my son, Marty and I can just enjoy Africa, and savor the moment. If we do nothing else but this, the trip will have been a success.

Point is, I have different goals even during the course of a single trip. I won’t hit them all, and I will probably get a surprise or two (counting on this actually). I figure if I shoot everything [that I can afford, unfortunately critters like bongo have been taken off my list of must-do’s], I won’t have anything to look forward to, so I am savoring these trophies. I am curious what I shoot, enjoy “data”, and am not ashamed to pull out a tape measure now and again - BUT I will never let the number dictate my contentment with the animal or the trip.

Sorry for being wordy!!! To answer your question Andrew - NO!

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Brett, Fairgame, and JPK-

Just to clear up some things, I don't participate in any type of "fantasy sport". In fact, I don't watch any sports of any kind...it's just not my thing. I couldn't name 5 quarterbacks for a 100k if you offered. And I agree with you that it is gay, however, I don't go around talking sh*t about people who find it enjoyable.

I think someone needs to take a chill pill. you obviously didn't notice but the fantasy sports thing was a joke. If you like to collect animals good for you. There's nothing wrong with that. I just hope you take the time to enjoy Africa in the same way so many of us do here while we are hunting. Andrew and others here where just pointing out the fact that some people seem to become so trophy obsessed that they seemingly don't enjoy the hunt. If that's the case I think that's a shame. Hopefully that's not you.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

-Seth Peterson

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill C:
But for a safari to be most rewarding, especially at this stage in the game where the walls are full, I need a goal. Every hunt and animal is different for me. Sometimes the goal is a certain sized animal, other times an old one, maybe hunted in a certain manner, and lately I am attracted to broken-horn animals. My dream “trophy” buffalo is either 50-inches with a huge drop, or an ancient scrum cap bull, hunted on foot of course. Would I shoot a nice old bull found deep in the hills, yup.

Different hunts have different themes. Some are adventures to new and exciting places, others tests of my physical and/or mental toughness, others centered around a specific animal, and some just about having a nice time in the bush with a mate.

It is great not having any stress on a hunt, as a “once in a lifetime hunt” – where you feel it is your only shot at a certain animal – can suck all the fun out of a trip.

Wise words Bill. I have never gone on a "once in a lifetime" hunt. What if I like it? I can't go back. Better to figure out how to do what you want more than once.

I am goal oriented as well. Shooting a buff under 40, except as bait, just doesn't do it for me. Shooting any buff is pretty damn easy. Maybe that is why Mark Young and I seem to enjoy hunting plains game as much as we do.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote