THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Martin Pieters Safaris - A Troubling Experience
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 17

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Martin Pieters Safaris - A Troubling Experience
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of samir
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RCG:
About two years ago, Martin had a problem hunt that was discussed here. It went to three pages with no reply or participation by Martin as to the allegations. It left a question mark on his reputation IMO.

Martin used the forums frequently to advertise his hunts for sale in the past. Not so much recently. I wonder why?

I am also waiting on the response

DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

Posts: 1427 | Location: San Diego | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Drazan:
Steve Ahrenberg,

I have no other motivation other than to make people aware of this problem. I said this to Martin in an email last week as I explained my motivations for publicizing our hunt to him.

Posting this exposed me and Mike to attacks, questions about our judgement and knowledge (rightfully so, I'm afraid), and stirring the ire of Martin's long-time supporters. Some outfitters may view us as 'problem clients' and not want to book with us. So, not something I take lightly, to be sure. But perhaps other hunters will be more thoughtful about due diligence or using a booking agent to mitigate risks.

Since this post, I've received many PMs asking about Martin's outfit and have given good, positive feedback on the experience I have had and have in NO WAY discouraged people from booking with him. As I said, I had good experiences with his team in the Omay and would hunt with some of his PHs again. I think my brother would say the same thing.

While we can afford (by God's grace) to participate in this kind of hunt and I NEVER take for granted that this is a gift, a true gift to that we are able follow elephants and hunt Africa. But what if I was a retiree who spent a large amount of "less-discretionary" funds on his or her dream hunt to have this happen? A horrifying prospect, and I think we have a responsibility to minimize this sort of thing. And, I think outfitters have the right to call out clients who aren't ethical as well to protect other outfitters form potential harm. Checks and balances.

At this point, I harbor no ill-will toward Martin and, after doing what I feel was the right thing to do, will move on an explore other hunts in Africa and beyond.

Best,

Chris

Excellent response, thanks. Personally, I offer no ill feelings towards you. I had a problem on a Trophy Elephant hunt in 2006. It was so long ago and since Botswana is closed, I can't see any reason to not make mention of it.

I did all I could do via negotiation. The outfitters wasn't willing to listen. I took my lump and moved along. It really had nothing to do with the quality of the hunt. It was more a trophy prep/handling issue.

We simply see different paths to the same end.

Regards,

Steve

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3397 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Ahrenberg:
quote:
Originally posted by Heym 450/400:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by 1BigDeer:
This ordeal MUST BE TOLD or how are hunters ever to avoid the same mistake?! The internet and this forum in particular are the PERFECT place to post it. On a very expensive hunt with previous "good clients" what was promised what not even close to delivered. You have spared me the trouble of a similar situation. Thank you for making everyone aware.

Meaning; Martin Pieters is to be avoided?

If you feel differently let us know when your check for a Caprivi elephant hunt is in the mail to Martin

I think you're missing my point. Refund? nope. Not gonna happen, re-hunt? probably not. SO, confrontation at show? unproductive. What's left?

Revenge.

Unless the OP is flat out lying, which is obviously not the case by M. Pieters response, he was absolutely FUCKED by Pieters who knew all of the details about the bait and switch long before the OP and his brother arrived in Africa. Pieters is an absolute scammer in this example.

Why isn't revenge/confrontation a good reason to tell this sad tale? If it costs Pieters business, and hopefully a lot of it, more's the better.

He deserves it.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
quote:

I think you're missing my point. Refund? nope. Not gonna happen, re-hunt? probably not. SO, confrontation at show? unproductive. What's left?

Revenge.

Or perhaps the hope that others avoid his mistake/misfortune?

If I have a bad meal at Joe's House of Pasta, and post a bad review, is it because I hate Joe and want revenge? Or perhaps it is because I appreciate reviews from others to help me avoid a bad meal, so I do my part to help them avoid a bad meal as well?

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3099 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Duckear,

Precisely.

Chris

Posts: 46 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 12 September 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duckear:
quote:

Revenge.

If I have a bad meal at Joe's House of Pasta, and post a bad review, is it because I hate Joe and want revenge? Or perhaps it is because I appreciate reviews from others to help me avoid a bad meal, so I do my part to help them avoid a bad meal as well?

If the venue where the discussion is, is generally neutral and unbiased, yes.

AR has its forum favorites and a protected class (outfitters). If you are one, you are protected and met with hostility. If the ground was even for all, I would have nothing to argue.

I've never hunted nor met any of the players involved.

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3397 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
quote:

...... I had a problem on a Trophy Elephant hunt in 2006. It was so long ago and since Botswana is closed, I can't see any reason to not make mention of it.

I did all I could do via negotiation. The outfitters wasn't willing to listen. I took my lump and moved along. It really had nothing to do with the quality of the hunt. It was more a trophy prep/handling issue.

Regards,

Steve

The problem with your 'path' is the guy you had issues with over your trophy prep is very likely still in the safari business and without knowing your issues, my once in a lifetime kudu trophy gets ruined because I didn't know who/what to avoid or the right questions to ask.

Your stiff upper lip attitude isn't very affordable to the rest of us.

Not to be overly dramatic, but "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Sadly, you seem to have the do nothing part down pat.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3099 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One thing I noticed on Martin Pieters hunt offers is that they are over priced,IMO.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed,

A question: From your perspective, in what scenario would be posting negative information about hunt or outfitter not be considered 'retribution' and OK to do. Perhaps coercing an outfitter for a refund? That would be wrong.

Said another way, what would be the other motivations if not for making the hunting community aware of a substantially concerning issue?

While I show 'new' on my profile, I've been on AR for a number of years and have found thoughtful reviews (both good and bad) to be a very helpful resource as I was learning the African ropes.

Best,

Chris

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Revenge.

AR has its forum favorites and a protected class (outfitters). If you are one, you are protected and met with hostility. If the ground was even for all, I would have nothing to argue.

What a load of bullshit!

No outfitter is protected on AR.

No one pays a penny to offer hunts here.

They live by their word, or leave themselves wide open to any other member.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66988 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:

What a load of bullshit!

I applaud you for this, which is the way it ought to be.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Revenge.

What a load of bullshit!

But there seems to be relationships going on behind the scenes between some people.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Revenge.

What a load of bullshit!

Sorry Saeed, that is a fact, as I see it. I will not get any support on this opinion for precisely the same reason.

Steve

Formerly "Nganga"

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tygersman:
quote:
quote:
It looks like that both the client and Martin were taken for a ride.

And I agree with those who said we are glad the client posted it here.

Where are we going to learn of how hunts turn out if people did not post their experience, good or bad?

And unlike other websites, AR's only interest in this, is to see this sort of thing does not happen again.

And one way of doing that is to air the problems that have occurred, and hopefully get them avoided in the future.

Saeed,
on its face, I can't argue with this. But, It now comes down to what are Chris' motives? I see no possibility of a refund. So at this point all I can surmise is retribution.

Posted on AR as a negative, speaks volumes.

I don't know either one of these guys. But Chris' motives are irrelevant at this point. He was asked to lay out the details and did. I saw nothing in Martin's response that gave me the warm and fuzzies. Sounds like Martin agreed to a refund of some portion - it should be sent.

I have to agree. Chris is coming off as the more credible party here IMHO. I find Martin's response a bit thin. I took the time to go back and reread the negative thread on him that was referenced by RAC from a couple of years back, also filed at show time BTW. I found his response to be thin on that one as well and in a similar fashion.

Both of these negative reports contain a similar theme, that of Martin outsourcing a hunt with another outfit. I don't have a dog in this fight but from his reputation here on AR, it seems maybe Martin's outfit is a good one to hunt with in his areas with his guys, but outsourcing to other areas with other outfits are not is forte?

In any event, I'm glad the information is out there. Good or bad, it's best to be aware of trouble spots. Doesn't mean the entire operation is rotten. Just that certain dealings need to be well vetted.

Along those lines, wasn't there another Namibia Caprivi "top of the market" ele hunt report not long ago where the client didn't get what he bargained for. Granted, that one seemed a bit "sour grapes" on the client's part, but this report has made me step back and question whether or not the issue is centered around the ele hunts being sold in that area now that Zim ivory is non-importable to the US and affecting the market?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

...... I had a problem on a Trophy Elephant hunt in 2006. It was so long ago and since Botswana is closed, I can't see any reason to not make mention of it.

Regards,

Steve

The problem with your 'path' is the guy you had issues with over your trophy prep is very likely still in the safari business and without knowing your issues, my once in a lifetime kudu trophy gets ruined because I didn't know who/what to avoid or the right questions to ask.

Your stiff upper lip attitude isn't very affordable to the rest of us.

Not to be overly dramatic, but "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Sadly, you seem to have the do nothing part down pat.

Stiff upper lip? Got it. The end result are the same. Whether a kudu cape or a Mountain Nyala cape.

Class envy? You have no clue.

Formerly "Nganga"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It doesn't matter if the usual crowd jumps down someone's throat for posting a negative report about a favorite outfitter....the report in and of itself can inform potential clients to be warned before they choose to put their money down...and in the end that's all that matters. You might still choose to book but you can't say you weren't warned.

Posts: 11636 | Location: Wisconsin  | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Heym 450 /400,

Thank you, well said.

Chris

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My favorite outfitters are only as good as my last hunt. Nobody is perfect but a screw job is a screw job. Sorta like not being able to hunt leopard even though there are leopard on bait.

Jeff

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
It doesn't matter if the usual crowd jumps down someone's throat for posting a negative report about a favorite outfitter....the report in and of itself can inform potential clients to be warned before they choose to put their money down...and in the end that's all that matters. You might still choose to book but you can't say you weren't warned.

So there ARE forum favorites? Big Grin

Formerly "Nganga"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I'm not the one saying there isn't... Wink

But there is a difference between "forum favorites" and "crowd favorites"

Posts: 11636 | Location: Wisconsin  | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It seems I've unintentionally started a thread on 'forum favorites'.

Shall we discuss "active bred lion hunting in South Africa" or "what's the best all around caliber for Africa" next?

How about "hound hunting for leopard" or the "right tip amount"?

See, I really do read AR. Smiler

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Revenge.

Steve,

I would disagree with you on the neutrality of the venue. Some member's here may have their favorite outfitters/PHs and leap to their defense, both fairly and unfairly but you will not find a more neutral venue for this type of discussion. Saeed allows everyone to post on equal levels since there are no advertising dollars at stake. Outfitter's posts here at their own risk since they can't complain or ask for special treatment just because they pay for advertising.

I've contracted four hunts with different outfitters on this website (including Martin Pieters) and have good and not so good things to say about every one of them. No hunt will be absolutely perfect and most people don't expect that but what people should expect is that the good parts will outweigh the bad. When it doesn't and these issues seriously effect the quality of the experience then I feel that it's absolutely correct to tell it on this website.

I believe that reviews good and bad are owed to the website because of all the information that the membership and hosts have provided us over the years.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12548 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What Saeed and Don provide is neutral.

What the crowd here provides is a little less so.

I suspect that some of the members here could have a absolutely legitimate gripe, and their past behavior and the way they come across here would instantly get them dismissed as the kook brigade anyhow, and some of our members would be taken a bit more seriously that they should... I could see Saeed posting something that everyone would buy in to as an April fools joke...

I do have my suspicions, which may be wholly unfounded, when a new member comes on and starts complaining about something... but the way folks can get treated around here (especially in the hunt report section) does make this site not for the thin skinned. I doubt some of this behavior would happen in person, but that isn't what the glory of the anonymous internet gets you...

Posts: 10633 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Ok, I just see them as one in the same.

I'm not saying Saeed points to and gives special consideration. But if, lets say CMS is mentioned in a negative light...well, you know.

Formerly "Nganga"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just attribute all of this to Russian hacking AR! Plain and simple...er...uh...no, I don't have any proof but I feel it in my bones.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I'm not saying Saeed points to and gives special consideration. But if, lets say CMS is mentioned in a negative light...well, you know.

I will not hunt with them again after my last hunt.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

It would go over like a turd in a punch bowl...however, if the report was an honest account of what happened I would give it serious consideration before booking with said outfitter. The difference in my mind would be CMS wouldn't get themselves into this type of mess and if they did, would correct it properly...or at least that is what the "good ones" are supposed to do.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

It would go over like a turd in a punch bowl...however, if the report was an honest account of what happened I would give it serious consideration before booking with said outfitter. The difference in my mind would be CMS wouldn't get themselves into this type of mess and if they did, would correct it properly...or at least that is what the "good ones" are supposed to do.

You must be booked with them.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe the rule of Caveat Emptor applies to booking hunts. I think it prudent to book with a reputable outfitter who regularly does business (hunting) in the country/region in which the hunt is to be conducted. if for no other reason than to cut down on the paperwork on both sides, and have logistics well established and in place. (camp, staff, etc). Even with all that in place things can go to hell and a handbasket. Bad weather, drought, government interference ( U.S and foreign) illness, and the list goes on to items that destroy a potentially good hunt. It all comes down to risk management. As one who has hunted Africa many times and continues to do so as well as live in Tanzania a goodly portion of the year, risk is always high. Do what is so often recommended, research, research, research then pray nothing goes wrong

Tim

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shootaway- please clarify why you would not hunt with us after your last hunt. We have given you several excellent hunts , entertained some somewhat interesting behavior on your behalf to say the least and always given you 100% as we do for every client! Here is your chance George!!!

Posts: 1128 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 22 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think the OP has done a great job explaining the events of the hunt. I am unsure why one would be "offended" by his posts. He is not telling anyone to not hunt with Martin. In addition, Martin was offered (and did so) a chance to explain the situation.

It does not matter if I like or dislike Martin's response. What does matter is that I now have more information that can/could help with a future booking.

I am glad to see these type of posts on AR. They have helped me A LOT, and also changed my mind on another unrelated hunt!

Posts: 2641 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Reality is that not all reviews and opinions are created equal. Credibility is earned. With both outfitters and clients. Most tend to judge folks based on the body of their work. This is as it should be in my view. When someone with a low post count comes along in the middle of show season and levels a complaint about a hunt that took place months ago against an outfitter that has a history of generally satisfied clients . . . I plan to approach such a complaint with a healthy dose of skepticism. However, as has been demonstrated on AR countless times, there are others that are prepared to take as the gospel the first word uttered by someone complaining and immediately start calling for a rope. Flip side, credibility can be destroyed over time too. Someone with many posts can enjoy as little credibility as, perhaps even less than, someone with a handful of posts. George is a good example of the latter.

Mike

Posts: 21225 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
You must be booked with them

No sir...I have little interest in hunting Zimbabwe. We all have our preferred countries and Zim was just never what I dreamed of. Someday I'll hunt there and CMS would be tops on my list along with the BVC With Nigel Theisen. I can't imagine why you wouldn't hunt there again...it seems better than you deserve at times Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Buzz Charlton:
Shootaway- please clarify why you would not hunt with us after your last hunt. We have given you several excellent hunts , entertained some somewhat interesting behavior on your behalf to say the least and always given you 100% as we do for every client! Here is your chance George!!!

popcorn

One of Us
Picture of P-A Åhlén
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TNTBR:
quote:

popcorn

popcorn popcorn popcorn popcorn

Posts: 292 | Location: Northernmost Sweden | Registered: 17 July 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Too many asshole clients for one.

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
quote:

Too many asshole clients for one.

George, you've got too many mirrors in your home. There's really only one of you.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Then I have a whole list of other things.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Did you bring up these issues with CMS prior or bring them to light in your hunt reports? And if not...why not? I suspect I know the answer but I'm trying to be polite to you.

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:

Like what? That they help save your ass when you screw up and shoot a cow buff.