Find
Notify
Tools

AR losing the best contributors
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Been a member for almost 12 years. That is a long time.

I have seen AR go through stages, fads and phases. People come and go. I left twice. I came back. (Did that make AR better? Smiler ) I dunno, don't answer that.

(anyone noticed that rhymed ... I digress)

The most disturbing fad is looking down one's nose at Buffalo and Lion. 95% of these "armchair trophy judges" couldn't tell a mature Kudu or Waterbuck from a manhole cover.

In educating, we have taught to scrutinize. Yes, it's a shame. This too shall pass however.

After all, were the "good ol days" really that good? Or do we just remember the good and forget the bad? Matchkings, Ray Atkinson, Sheephunter and Linda Adams? So, now we have soft bossed Buffalo, Sark Mullivan and immature Lions. What will it be in 2016? Probably something just as controversial.

I agree, policing isn't the answer. Politeness is.

Carry on.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I couldn't agree more Larry. It's beyond my comprehension that there are (adult/productive/employed) people out there with so much time that they must lurk on internet forums waiting for the opportunity to annoy and/or harass random people for their own entertainment. It's sad and pathetic really.

HEY!!! I resemble that!

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
I've really enjoyed my time on AR. The help I've received has outweighed the smart-assed remarks greatly. As I have progressed and tried to help others on technical questions, I have always tried to be civil, even though the newcomers seem to be hit most often by our armchair experts. Mike(2 of them), Ed, Ron, and several others have become forum friends. Thanks to you and all the others who have helped me get to Africa...and curse you for it now becoming an addiction! Wink

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wendell Reich:

I have seen AR go through stages, fads and phases. People come and go. I left twice. I came back. (Did that make AR better? Smiler ) I dunno, don't answer that.

You should consider becoming a rapper...

A day spent in the bush is a day added to your life
Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - Facebook
Hunt Australia - TV

Posts: 4456 | Location: Australia | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Fershizzle.

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
For sure . . . sounds like you have a stage name . . . Lord knows you have the tat . . . go for it.

Mike

Posts: 21692 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
Better policing?

I am afraid I do not agree with you.

"better policing" means more censorship, and we are not prepared to do that here.

In the end, I think Saeed has the right of things. Yes, this forum has some really rough edges, but you can steer clear of most of the nastiness with a little discretion. One of the great qualities of anonymity is that it allows people to freely be themselves. If someone is gentlemanly when anonymous and when there's nothing to gain thereby, he's almost infallibly so in person.

It's best that gentlemen be permitted to be gentlemen and that swine be permitted to be swine. At least on AR, it is easy enough to distinguish between the two, as the swine are not constrained to wear tuxedos.

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

It takes character to withstand the rigors of indolence.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Dallas, Tx | Registered: 02 June 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
quote:
Originally posted by impala#03:
Thanks for that observation Jerry. I went on a super buff/kudu hunt in Zambia, killed a nice cape buffalo, and a nice kudu. Had a great hunt in a very remote area on the Luangwa River. I was not about to post a hunt report only to have the armchair experts pick apart every detail of my hunt. That buff sure is soft bossed, how come that kudu so small, etc, etc, ad nausem........

I would like to post a hunt report to share with others to tell you all how good the PH was, how great a very remote camp can be or all the other details of the hunt. Until the assholes who critize others hunts shutup, I'll just keep it to myself.

Totally disagree.

For starters tell me someone who can age your Buff against a Kudu or Puku?

If you felt that your PH did his best under the time constraints and indeed the area then state it.

I have hunted Buffalo for meat and to be honest some of those hunts were the best,

Precisely!

It was YOUR hunt, and you do not have to justify it to anyone.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68677 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
quote:
Precisely!

Saeed, that should read you shouldn't have to justify it to anyone. Unfortunately, a lot lately are forced to justify it, which is why they no longer post.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Graham:
quote:

Imagine a rapping duo of Matt Graham and Wendell Reich! rotflmo

I have never bought any rapper music, but I will certainly buy one by you two clap

Posts: 68677 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drummondlindsey
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Graham:
quote:

Imagine a rapping duo of Matt Graham and Wendell Reich! rotflmo

I have never bought any rapper music, but I will certainly buy one by you two clap

I just want to see the rap video! dancing

Posts: 2093 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
quote:
Unfortunately, a lot lately are forced to justify it, which is why they no longer post.

There in lies the problem. Who wants to get on any site and post a report about a hunt and trophies they are proud of, only to be trashed because their experience does not measure up to the standards set up by a few individuals.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Precisely!

Saeed, that should read you shouldn't have to justify it to anyone. Unfortunately, a lot lately are forced to justify it, which is why they no longer post.

Sorry Wendell, I just don't agree.

We internet participants aren't "forced" to anything. I've posted reports that people have taken exception to and reports have been posted that I've taken exception to and it hasn't been any kind of binding agreement/ disagreement either way.

Frankly, I post reports based on my perception that other members might find them informative or interesting and disagreement goes hand in hand with both. As we're not sleeping together and I'm not collecting a paycheck from you or most other AR members, your dissapproval really matters little. I certainly mean no dis respect by saying so, but to use you and I as an example, regardless any hypothetical internet dissagreement you and I may have, if I find the arguement too disruptive I certainly can find another booking agent and if the shoe's on the other foot, I think you could easily find another inept Dillingham carpenter.

Having said all this, Yes I would rather be liked than not, and do prefer praise to condemnation, but I will readily admit that real time, real life critisism does seem to sting a whole lot more than via my laptop.

Posts: 9437 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I do not post hunt reports on AR. While the vast majority here are good people. When the outliers start in with their BS there is a severe lack of moderation on this sight.

My hunts, my choice on if and where I'd like to report them. AR doesn't make the cut.

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Fine with me.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13625 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
It has been my policy to stand by what I believe in and if I decide to express it publicly, do so politely.

But I will stand by it despite anyone disagreeing or being rude, offensive or even personally insulting.

If we are to be intimidated by what others said about our views it would be a sad day for freedom of speach and even freedom of expressing one's thoughts, values and opinion.

Having said that, I wish people would keep their political comments to the political forum and not the hunting forum.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11221 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

But I will stand by it despite anyone disagreeing or being rude, offensive or even personally insulting.

If we are to be intimidated by what others said about our views it would be a sad day for freedom of speach and even freedom of expressing one's thoughts, values and opinion.

Having said that, I wish people would keep their political comments to the political forum and not the hunting forum.

Well put Naki
JCHB

Posts: 423 | Location: KZN province South Africa | Registered: 24 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PD999
posted Hide Post
As this is one of the recent topics which mentions MS, and has not been moved overnight elsewhere, I will post what I have written in the moved topics, which are now in the "Miscellaneous" part of the "Other Topics" section:

So why did this topic (and other related topics over Mark Sullivan) get moved secretly, during the night, from the "African Big Game Hunting" section, into the "Other Topics: Miscellaneous Topics" section?

I have been quite saddened that these threads had degenerated into what can only be described as internet bullying. I realize that censorship is not ideal, but felt that at times, those in charge were actually fueling the fire.

AR members will wonder where these topics went, if they didn't already have them in their Favourites Folder.
Dear Saeed and Moderators, we would value your input please.

Peter

I believe this type of action is what is leading to the loss of the best contributors on AR, a real shame.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition” ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 1231 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 April 2010Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I moved them to the Misc. Forum, because they have nothing to do with African Hunting.

Also, as we seem to have an objection from the MS fan club anytime someone posts negative comments about him.

You are welcome to go to that forum and continue your discussions.

At the end of the day, a decison has to be made, and whatever decision is made, it is not going to go down well with everyone.

The doom and gloom and final days of AR have been posted many times before.

AR will remain as it ever was.

We don't have to please any advertiser by having a high number of members of posts.

People join AR to inter-act with like minded individuals from the many countries in the world.

One of Us
Picture of PD999
posted Hide Post
Dear Saeed,

thank you for your speedy reply.

Many AR members will not know where these topics had been moved to. I certainly would not have been able to find them, unless they were in my Favourites Folder. One may get the impression that the topics had been deleted. This goes against the 'no censorship' stance which you advocate, and which I agree with.

I've copied my post into the remaining MS-related topics here on the African Hunting section, so that AR members may be directed to where they may continue the discussion. Hopefully we can all contemplate why we contribute to what is arguably the best and most comprehensive hunters website, and allow it to flourish and not wither.

Many thanks again for hosting this great website in the first place, without which we wouldn't have the opportunity to learn from each other.

Peter

PS - I am neither a MS 'lover' nor an MS 'hater', but I do find some of the internet opinions of so-called mature adults rather distasteful.

The purpose of my post was to suggest that if "controversial" threads are moved, then the thread followers or contributors should be informed where and why it was moved. Otherwise one may believe that "big brother" is at work, which is at odds with your posted views on censorship.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition” ― Rudyard Kipling

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
I moved them to the Misc. Forum, because they have nothing to do with African Hunting.

Also, as we seem to have an objection from the MS fan club anytime someone posts negative comments about him.

You are welcome to go to that forum and continue your discussions.

At the end of the day, a decison has to be made, and whatever decision is made, it is not going to go down well with everyone.

The doom and gloom and final days of AR have been posted many times before.

AR will remain as it ever was.

We don't have to please any advertiser by having a high number of members of posts.

People join AR to inter-act with like minded individuals from the many countries in the world.

Yet, "Is Mark Sullivan Gay" is left on this forum. Seems like the standard being applied is arbitrary. I am not surprised.

Mike

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Mike,

That thread was started in 2006!

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
If the standard is relevance to African hunting, how is the issue of whether Mark is gay, straight, transgender, bisexual, a hermaphrodite or other relevant, much less when the post was started?

Mike

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Mike,

That was started years ago as a joke, and it has been in our archives since 2006, I am not going to remove it from there.

New threads regarding Mark Sullivan were started recently which have no relevance to his hunting, and instead of leaving them here - where we do not delete older topics after a certain period as done on other forums - I thought it is better to move them.

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Man, how I wish all of you that call Sullivan all these names would try and do that to his face. He's have you wearing a dress and singing "Mary had a little lamb" before you could scream for your mommy...

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Jorge,

I have never been afraid of anyone.

And whatever I saw about anyone here, I will be more than happy to repeat it in their face.

So now the Sullivan cheerleaders are bringing him into the discussion again.

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Saeed: I have NEVER heard you say anything as sophomoric as some of the things said here by others. As far as I can remember, all you have expressed is disdain for his hunting style and ethics nothing more. I have no problems with that just as (I hope) you have no issues with me disagreeing with you for the most part.
As to being called a (sic) cheerleader, if that entails defending an individual when he's been called every name in the book unjustly, or outright lies like shooting buffalo with a 22 to incite charges, well I guess the shoe fits.. And staying on topic, I've been here a long time and people come and go. Unfortunately sometimes good ones leave and stay gone, but the bad ones keep coming back under different names and once identified, they should be thrown out with alacrity and not be allowed to remain (2thDoc is CATS and he is still here for example). I really like it here and the only way I'll leave is if you ask me to do so. Cheers, jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I prefer to be referred to as a sycophant.

Mike

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jorge:
Saeed: I have NEVER heard you say anything as sophomoric as some of the things said here by others. As far as I can remember, all you have expressed is disdain for his hunting style and ethics nothing more. I have no problems with that just as (I hope) you have no issues with me disagreeing with you for the most part.
As to being called a (sic) cheerleader, if that entails defending an individual when he's been called every name in the book unjustly, or outright lies like shooting buffalo with a 22 to incite charges, well I guess the shoe fits.. And staying on topic, I've been here a long time and people come and go. Unfortunately sometimes good ones leave and stay gone, but the bad ones keep coming back under different names and once identified, they should be thrown out with alacrity and not be allowed to remain (2thDoc is CATS and he is still here for example). I really like it here and the only way I'll leave is if you ask me to do so. Cheers, jorge

Jorge,

I have never met you, but I consider you a friend and a fellow hunter and pilot. And I think I speak for many members when I saw I appreciate you being a member of AR for such a long time.

We all benfit from learning of the experiences of other hunters. And as you have been a member for a number of years, you know very well how little myself and our Moderators get involved in the discussions.

We only get involved as members,on an equal basis.

It is NEVER my intention to ask members to leave.

On the very few occassions in the past when I have banned a member, it has been after a lot of private communications to try to solve whatever the problem was - practically always for them being very disruptive in the forum.

All I am asking is that we keep Mark Sullivan out of this discussion, for the simple reason that some of us will never see eye to eye as far as he is concerned. Someone will post something, someone else will answer him, and the cycle will continue.

I have absolutely no objection in talking about Mark Sullivan, but we seem to be going round and round in circles regarding him.

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the response Saeed and as you know, I've stated on several ocassions, this place is like homebase to me when it comes to the internet. We've had idiots here in years past (remember Carmello?) and the Political Forum is awash in them and I never go there. For the most part we have a great bunch of contributors here and of course you know that already. As to Sullivan, yes, it's a circle jerk but this too shall pass. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
Picture of Hunting For Adventure
posted Hide Post
The original question for this topic is very good. Here is my .02:

AR without a doubt has the best knowledge base of hunting in africa anywhere on the net. There are a couple of other forums/websites that I visit but none have the experience that is found here on AR.

That being said, there is also a bit of aggression/ego on this forum as well on certain topics. It seems to me that hunt reports that aren't from $25k+ hunts in Zim, Tanz, Moz or Zambia don't get attention or respect in the hunt report section it seems. That is fine....it's just the way it is. Some hunt reports are criticized when posted, keeping others from sharing their experiences. To me it all goes back to the basic "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it". Apparently not all can agree on that though.

The forum doesn't appear very open to "first time" safari goers as it could be either. Some posters are fantastic and very welcoming to new members and generic questions that they might have. Other members come across as negative and a bit condescending. Such is life. It does make it difficult for a "newbie" to truly enter the fray though.

In a nutshell, I think this is the best resource to gain firsthand experience from experienced safari hunters on the net. It could use a bit more decency and civility though.

Tom Addleman
tom@dirtnapgear.com

Posts: 1161 | Location: Kansas City, Missouri | Registered: 03 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hunting For Adventure:

AR without a doubt has the best knowledge base of hunting in africa anywhere on the net. There are a couple of other forums/websites that I visit but none have the experience that is found here on AR.

That being said, there is also a bit of aggression/ego on this forum as well on certain topics. It seems to me that hunt reports that aren't from $25k+ hunts in Zim, Tanz, Moz or Zambia don't get attention or respect in the hunt report section it seems. That is fine....it's just the way it is. Some hunt reports are criticized when posted, keeping others from sharing their experiences. To me it all goes back to the basic "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it". Apparently not all can agree on that though.

The forum doesn't appear very open to "first time" safari goers as it could be either. Some posters are fantastic and very welcoming to new members and generic questions that they might have. Other members come across as negative and a bit condescending. Such is life. It does make it difficult for a "newbie" to truly enter the fray though.

In a nutshell, I think this is the best resource to gain firsthand experience from experienced safari hunters on the net. It could use a bit more decency and civility though.

+1

Sometimes you have to shake out some chaff to get to the wheat.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:

The most disturbing fad is looking down one's nose at Buffalo and Lion. 95% of these "armchair trophy judges" couldn't tell a mature Kudu or Waterbuck from a manhole cover.

In educating, we have taught to scrutinize. Yes, it's a shame. This too shall pass however.

After all, were the "good ol days" really that good? Or do we just remember the good and forget the bad? Matchkings, Ray Atkinson, Sheephunter and Linda Adams? So, now we have soft bossed Buffalo, Sark Mullivan and immature Lions. What will it be in 2016? Probably something just as controversial.

I agree, policing isn't the answer. Politeness is.

Carry on.

I am going to give a dissenting opinion here at least in regards to lion.

About 2 years ago now...it became apparent to Aaron Neilson and I that we may loose the privilege of lion hunting forever...and the jury is still out on whether or not that in fact will become reality. There is a better than even chance that the lion will be listed as endangered under the Endangerd Species Act.

We formed the Lion Conservation Task Force to set about educating hunters, non-hunters, and politicians on the facts as we saw it in regards to what the wild lion faces in reality.

Truth of the matter is that too many young lion were being shot. The other truth was that lion can be pretty effectively put into age categories from pictures. The third truth was that picture of young lions killed by hunters and presented on the internet were being used to form statistical analyses to be used against us in ruling on listing the lion as endangered.

Both Aaron and I tried to point out the above facts out on this forum and were criticized heavily for doing so...rightlfully or wrongfully I do not know.

But I can say...that by having those many long drawn out discussions...hunters on this forum and across the nation became more aware of the plight the lion faces and our potential to loose the lion as a huntable species forever.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37811 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen all people have individual opinions on any subject. Those opinions are sometime very strong opinions. When that is met with an equally strong opposite opinion the two posters sometimes become angry. In most cases, even though totally 180 degrees opposite, a subject can be debated without calling names. Some people can’t do a debate because no matter each side will not admit the validity of parts or all of the opposite side, even with irrefutable proof, and try to intimidate their opponent by name calling.

IMO, not even the MS donnybrooks have caused anyone to be banned, or to leave AR on their own. Most of those who left, left because they un-masked as frauds, or were stalked by others to the point they couldn’t post anything without a straw-man stalker making their lives miserable. I have some experience with one of those who followed me from one web-site to another around the internet. He finally got tired and gave up, but made my life mud for a couple of years. Mark Cash was another one driven completely off the internet by several stalkers, people who didn’t have 1/10th the knowledge Mark had. Mark simply decided we did not need his knowledge and left the job to the know-nothings who ran him off. AR was at a loss when that happened.

The only people I’m aware of that were banned from AR where given every chance to mend their ways, but chose to continue their assault on not only other members, but went so far as to call our host a “SAND NIGGER”, and still were not banned if they would cease and desist. They chose to continue, and even though at least one of them was a very knowledgeable person, not only on African hunting, but well versed on double rifles as well. His knowledge was lost to the newcomers here, but as a result of his name calling.

Like P/F and CRF, or double trigger or single triggers, or rimless or flanged, bolt rifle or Double rifle. None of these things will ever be agreed on by all who discuss them, but they can be debated without calling names. Even heated debates do not excuse name calling.

The value is those who don’t know one way or the other can glean his knowledge from the explanations from both sides. Then you have those who buy one of the types or the other and suddenly, as if by act of God, knows everything about both sides being discussed, and makes snide remarks about anyone who disagrees with his opinion. This guy may be right in his opinion, but if so it is by accident, not experience. That, however, doesn’t mean he couldn’t be wrong as well.

These are the things that cause the name calling. That is, in my experience, when one resorts to name calling it usually indicates he has no real base for his side other than a inexperienced OPINION. Even that OPINION may very well be correct, but it is not assured just because he believes that way.

AR is one of the most, if not the only free speech web-sites on the internet, and is manned by more knowledge from actual experience than any place I know of. It is a diamond that should be protected at all costs in it’s original form!

Of course we can still persist with the name calling, and I suppose I’m the new target with this post. That’s OK let’ er fly!

.................................................................. BOOM.............. diggin

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
Gentlemen all people have individual opinions on any subject. Those opinions are sometime very strong opinions. When that is met with an equally strong opposite opinion the two posters sometimes become angry. In most cases, even though totally 180 degrees opposite, a subject can be debated without calling names. Some people can’t do a debate because no matter each side will not admit the validity of parts or all of the opposite side, even with irrefutable proof, and try to intimidate their opponent by name calling.

IMO, not even the MS donnybrooks have caused anyone to be banned, or to leave AR on their own. Most of those who left, left because they un-masked as frauds, or were stalked by others to the point they couldn’t post anything without a straw-man stalker making their lives miserable. I have some experience with one of those who followed me from one web-site to another around the internet. He finally got tired and gave up, but made my life mud for a couple of years. Mark Cash was another one driven completely off the internet by several stalkers, people who didn’t have 1/10th the knowledge Mark had. Mark simply decided we did not need his knowledge and left the job to the know-nothings who ran him off. AR was at a loss when that happened.

The only people I’m aware of that were banned from AR where given every chance to mend their ways, but chose to continue their assault on not only other members, but went so far as to call our host a “SAND NIGGER”, and still were not banned if they would cease and desist. They chose to continue, and even though at least one of them was a very knowledgeable person, not only on African hunting, but well versed on double rifles as well. His knowledge was lost to the newcomers here, but as a result of his name calling.

Like P/F and CRF, or double trigger or single triggers, or rimless or flanged, bolt rifle or Double rifle. None of these things will ever be agreed on by all who discuss them, but they can be debated without calling names. Even heated debates do not excuse name calling.

The value is those who don’t know one way or the other can glean his knowledge from the explanations from both sides. Then you have those who buy one of the types or the other and suddenly, as if by act of God, knows everything about both sides being discussed, and makes snide remarks about anyone who disagrees with his opinion. This guy may be right in his opinion, but if so it is by accident, not experience. That, however, doesn’t mean he couldn’t be wrong as well.

These are the things that cause the name calling. That is, in my experience, when one resorts to name calling it usually indicates he has no real base for his side other than a inexperienced OPINION. Even that OPINION may very well be correct, but it is not assured just because he believes that way.

AR is one of the most, if not the only free speech web-sites on the internet, and is manned by more knowledge from actual experience than any place I know of. It is a diamond that should be protected at all costs in it’s original form!

Of course we can still persist with the name calling, and I suppose I’m the new target with this post. That’s OK let’ er fly!

.................................................................. BOOM.............. diggin

Mac, you are an example of the fact age is usually accompanied by wisdom. Nice post.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of twoseventy
posted Hide Post
Mac, you are one of the reasons I still check out AR almost daily. Good info and good posters make this site great in spite of some bad stuff. Just like life.

Tom

...I say that hunters go into Paradise when they die, and live in this world more joyfully than any other men.
-Edward, duke of York

". . . when a man has shot an elephant his life is full." ~John Alfred Jordan

"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand

Cogito ergo venor- KPete

“It is not from the benevolence of the butcher, the brewer, or the baker, that we expect our dinner, but from their regard to their own self-interest. We address ourselves, not to their humanity but to their self-love, and never talk to them of our own necessities but of their advantages.”
― Adam Smith - “Wealth of Nations”

Posts: 989 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 12 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hunting For Adventure:

There are a number of folks who look at plains game hunts with disdain; I think that might generate a sort of arrogant tone toward others that I don't think is intended but is nevertheless interpreted by newbies that way.

Personally, I like to read the hunt reports of first timers. We only have our first safari once.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PD999
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:

... but they can be debated without calling names. Even heated debates do not excuse name calling.

The exact reason for my recent posts; we may disagree on certain viewpoints, but we should all be grown up and debate topics in a mature way.
But then again, maybe I'm expecting too much bewildered

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
There are a number of folks who look at plains game hunts with disdain; I think that might generate a sort of arrogant tone toward others that I don't think is intended but is nevertheless interpreted by newbies that way.

Personally, I like to read the hunt reports of first timers. We only have our first safari once.

Az writer, I believe you are zeroed in on one problem that turns some newbies off unintentionally by downing high fence hunting. The fact is not everyone can afford to pay to fly to Africa, and hunt remote areas as well. That fact is not an indication that the person’s safari is somehow not an adventure that few will even experience.

Certainly we all wish we could afford to hunt the wildest concessions of the African countries, but some of us must take what we can get.

My interest has always been dangerous game mainly cape buffalo, and as a result I have taken very little so-called African plains game. As a result of my age, health and retirement makes it necessary for me to protect what funds I have so my wife who is much younger than I, will have sufficient funds after I’m gone. Because of that fact, I’ve been thinking about taking a 15 or 20 day plains game hunt in RSA on one of the larger properties to take some of the plains game that was not available in the areas where I did my earlier safaris.

Make no mistake, my hunting of these animals will be HUNTING not canned, and anyone who finds fault with that may pay for a full bag safari if that is what they want me to do. Otherwise they may say anything they want and it will slide off my back like water off a ducks back.
....................................................................... old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lest anyone not know of forget, not all of us " newbies" to AR are new to hunting or Africa

Posts: 3617 | Location: Verdi Nevada | Registered: 01 February 2013Reply With Quote