THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Zimbabwe: Hunters Investigate Killing of Zim's Best-Known Lion
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Zimbabwe: Hunters Investigate Killing of Zim's Best-Known Lion
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
everyone gets a certificate from Saeed for participating on this forum that they can frame.

Mike

Dang Mike,

I never got my certificate but I did get a fine array of Zim notes all the way to 10,000,000,000,000.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
And what did ZPHGA do in response . . . they promptly sanctioned the PH in question. What has PHASA done in response to the situation of South African PH's hunting trophy elephants as ration elephants in Zim National Parks? Nada.

I think the issue of the legality of this hunt is interesting but irrelevant. It comes down to hunters needing to accept the notion that they have to act responsibly. What is troubling is the number of hunters that seem to struggle with that concept and believe that whether something is "legal" is dispositive of how they are entitled to act.

It sounds like you are saying hunters have to agree with your idea of acting responsibly is. If something is legal, then I believe it is up to each individual to decide what they feel acting responsibly is. In this case, looks like the facts are that it was not a legal hunt. Thus we are discussing a "PR" nightmare that would be the same anyway. I for one, will not let political correctness or political pressure determine what I choose to do.

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If, that's if, all was legal on the hunt - then you shoot the lion, period end of story! My opinion below is in general, as I do not know the exact facts in this particular case.

First off, from personal experience in roughly the same place, same scenario, I can tell you 100% that seeing the collar can be extremely difficult, if not impossible - trust me on that. Secondly, little "aging" would be required on this one. Third, he's supposedly 13 yrs old, is someone silly enough to believe he's gonna live forever???

All this crap about it being unethical to shoot a wild lion, simply because it's collared is nonsense! He's a wild animal, living in a wild area, and supposedly went into a legal hunting area - bang!!!! You don't want your collared lion shot, I suggest you collar one in a pen!

Any good/real scientists will have ZERO problems with this, as I can again - personally attest to. To falsely influence the lion's outcome, is to falsely skew the scientific data. Death by hunting can/is a possible outcome in a lion's life, period!

The more we keep bowing down to the cries of the antis, etc, the more we lose our grasp on our hunting heritage. Stop apologizing for who we are/what we do - it's a very weak and ineffective position to take, to say the least!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Graham:
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
quote:
quote:
Another thing to keep in the mix of this discussion is the "quota swapping" now going on flagrantly in Zim...which is legal (if handled ahead of time)...but really NOT ethical from a conservation standard and I challenge any Zim operator to defend it.

In this instance...there was NO lion on quota for the property so a lion hunt should not have been taking place to begin with. But quota swapping has become so prevalent and is legal if done properly...that the PH just figured he would buy quota afterwards and the client would be happy to pay whatever for it.

And...had the lion not been this lion...he would have probably gotten away with it and none of this would be going on now.

So this new era of "quota swapping" in Zim is as much to blame as anything else. Quotas are set in areas for a reason...and it makes no sense to be able to buy quota from another area...at least in regards to conservation...which is the reason that quotas are set to begin with.
So are you saying the Zimbabwe government is competent enough to set these quotas but not competent enough to allow exceptions?

No...they are incompetent at setting the quotas and and then remove any shadow of doubt about that fact by allowing the quota swapping to take place!
So if the govt is incompetent in management are you are suggesting the hunting companies and lease and landowners should be responsible for the management decisions? It would seem that would include .... quota swapping....

Matt,
Are you just naïve about what goes on in the Zim hunting industry? Two wrongs don't make a right. This scenario is a good example. The place had no resident lion...hence no lion on quota. Other examples: buffalo quota is too liberal for most all concessions with buff quota...commonly acknowledged fact. End of the season comes along and hunter looses a buff...wants another...none left...outfitter does a quota swap...kills another buff off of a hammered area. That goes on day in day out...so much so...hunters like Bronkhorst take it for granted.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37821 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh boy, Mike and Lane are gonna be mad at me! Cool

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Neilson:

So you would a shoot a lion that is a known tourist attraction to satisfy your own selfish needs and the rest of us including our children's future being able to hunt lion can just go pound sand?

Sorry but that is just not cool.

Jeff

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:

In principle...I agree with you Aaron. But...this lion is a nail in the coffin and should have been avoided for the good of all.

Besides...it appears to be a dodgy deal as far as legalities go.

There were many non-hunting outfitters in Zim who were allies of the hunting industry...whom flipped over this lion. Just saying...

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37821 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Lane, the so called friends of hunting industry were never real friends if they flipped like that.
They were pretentious friends while they were always enemies
I totally agree with Aaron as I stated before.
We cannot bow to Antis at all ever
They don't bow to us ever at all do they?

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
BK,
There is a difference in bowing to antis and using your head, playing it smart, and picking your fights.

You probably right on the friendship thing though.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
If hunting has any chance of surviving, which may be a dubious proposition to begin with, hunters have to appreciate that we live in a glass house. Everything we do will be criticized and ridiculed. Which makes it all the more unfortunate when, like the present example, the conduct is so over the top to even draw the condemnation of folks that are typically neutral or at least silent on hunting issues. It was a foolish, selfish thing to do in light of the current focus on hunting generally and lion hunting specifically. There is nothing good that will come from the hunter's decision for the rest of us hunters. That is not appeasement, it is the reality of the situation. As others have said, picking your battles is important and this was absolutely not the fight to pick.

Mike

Posts: 21698 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.abc.net.au/news/201...cil-the-lion/6655246

Cecil the lion: Two Zimbabweans face poaching charges after allegedly skinning, beheading much-loved feline
Posted about an hour ago

Two men will face court in Zimbabwe charged with poaching offences after much-loved Cecil the lion was allegedly skinned and beheaded.

A Zimbabwean professional hunter and a local landowner will appear in court on poaching charges for allegedly killing a much-loved lion called Cecil, officials said Tuesday, after the feline's death caused widespread outrage.

A statement issued by the Zimbabwean Parks Authority made no reference to reports that it was a wealthy Spanish or American man who had killed Cecil with a bow and arrow after paying a $50,000 fee.

"Theo Bronkhorst, a professional hunter with Bushman Safaris, is facing criminal charges for allegedly killing a collared lion on Antoinette farm in Gwayi Conservancy, Hwange district on 1 July 2015," the statement said.

It said Bronkhorst and landowner Honest Ndlovu would appear in court on Wednesday.

The lion, which was a popular attraction among visitors to the Hwange National Park, was allegedly tempted outside the park using bait and then shot.

Local media reports said Cecil, aged about 13, had been beheaded and skinned after his death.

The animal was collared and tracked for research.

"All persons implicated in this case are due to appear in court facing poaching charges," the statement said.

"Both the professional hunter and land owner had no permit or quota to justify the offtake of the lion and therefore are liable for the illegal hunt."

The statement said that Bronkhorst's son Zane was also wanted for questioning, and that the lion trophy had been confiscated.

The safari operators association was due to give a press conference later Tuesday.

AFP

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9486 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://allafrica.com/stories/201507280897.html

Zimbabwe: Hwange's Iconic Lion Killed

Fidelis Munyoro — Government has launched an investigation into the killing of the country's most famous lion in Hwange National Park by a hunter who reportedly paid $55 000 bribe to game guides. The 13-year-old lion was a major tourist pull at the country's largest wildlife sanctuary. According to reports the "iconic" lion named Cecil was killed by a Spanish national. It was reportedly shot with a crossbow and rifle, before being beheaded and skinned. Tourism and Hospitality Industry Minister Walter Mzembi last night said the tourism sector was disturbed by the heinous act and law enforcement agencies were working round the clock to apprehend the culprits.

"Animal rights are at the centre of our conservation model and clearly shooting or eliminating a tourism pet, which is what Cecil had graduated into, cannot go unpunished," said Minister Mzembi.

"As a tourism (ministry), we are conscious of the value of wildlife watching and photographic safari, and we are very disturbed by this selfish and heinous act by yet to be apprehended and prosecuted culprits."

The brutal act comes at a time Zimbabwe is battling to curb illegal hunting and poaching which threaten to wipe out some of its wildlife.

Zimbabwe Conservation Task Force head, Mr Johnny Rodrigues, said the use of a bow and arrow heralded a new trend aimed at avoiding arrest.

"It's more silent.

"If you want to do anything illegal, that's the way to do it," he told BBC's Newsday programme yesterday.

He said the lion, which had a distinctive black mane, did not die immediately and was followed for more than 40 hours before it was shot with a rifle.

The animal had a GPS collar for a research project by the UK-based Oxford University, allowing authorities to track its movements.

Mr Rodrigues said Cecil's killing was tragic. "He never bothered anybody. He was one of the most beautiful animals to look at."

The lion had been "baited" out of the park, a tactic which hunters used to portray their action as legal, Mr Rodrigues said. Two guides have been arrested and if it was confirmed that the hunter was a Spaniard, "we will expose him for what he is", he added.

Cecil's six cubs will now be killed, as a new male lion in the pride will not allow them to live in order to encourage the lionesses to mate with him.

"That's how it works . . . it's in the wild; it's nature taking its course," Mr Rodrigues said.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9486 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Another thing to keep in the mix of this discussion is the "quota swapping" now going on flagrantly in Zim...which is legal (if handled ahead of time)...but really NOT ethical from a conservation standard and I challenge any Zim operator to defend it.

In this instance...there was NO lion on quota for the property so a lion hunt should not have been taking place to begin with. But quota swapping has become so prevalent and is legal if done properly...that the PH just figured he would buy quota afterwards and the client would be happy to pay whatever for it.

And...had the lion not been this lion...he would have probably gotten away with it and none of this would be going on now.

So this new era of "quota swapping" in Zim is as much to blame as anything else. Quotas are set in areas for a reason...and it makes no sense to be able to buy quota from another area...at least in regards to conservation...which is the reason that quotas are set to begin with.
So are you saying the Zimbabwe government is competent enough to set these quotas but not competent enough to allow exceptions?

No...they are incompetent at setting the quotas and and then remove any shadow of doubt about that fact by allowing the quota swapping to take place!
So if the govt is incompetent in management are you are suggesting the hunting companies and lease and landowners should be responsible for the management decisions? It would seem that would include .... quota swapping....

Matt,
Are you just naïve about what goes on in the Zim hunting industry? Two wrongs don't make a right. This scenario is a good example. The place had no resident lion...hence no lion on quota. Other examples: buffalo quota is too liberal for most all concessions with buff quota...commonly acknowledged fact. End of the season comes along and hunter looses a buff...wants another...none left...outfitter does a quota swap...kills another buff off of a hammered area. That goes on day in day out...so much so...hunters like Bronkhorst take it for granted.
Sounds to me like you are throwing the whole Zim hunting industry under the bus!

A day spent in the bush is a day added to your life
Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - Facebook
Hunt Australia - TV

Posts: 4456 | Location: Australia | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Matt,
Sounds to me like you are throwing the whole Zim hunting industry under the bus!

Matt,
I am very good friends with some Zim outfitters and PH's. All of the ones I know are totally against the quota swap thing...in fact they rail against it. But...I am also choosey on who I hunt with. Wink

This whole scenario would not be unfolding if it was not common to use it in a method as to what was planned on this lion.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You believe what Zimbabweans tell you Lane? There's your mistake right there!! Big Grin Big Grin

I guess it is up to their industry assoc to clean that up then, if it is an issue. They obviously don't want to claim ownership of this fiasco.

Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - TV

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It looks like Cecil was killed by an American dentist from Minnesota.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/new...merican-dentist.html

STAY IN THE FIGHT!

Posts: 1849 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 25 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
You believe what Zimbabweans tell you Lane? There's your mistake right there!! Big Grin Big Grin

I guess it is up to their industry assoc to clean that up then, if it is an issue. They obviously don't want to claim ownership of this fiasco.

The ones I hunt with are Rhodesians. Wink

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 470EDDY:
FORTUNATELY it was NOT an American....but we will all be painted with the same brush!!
Sad in such precarious times....

Regretfully,

WHOOPS!

STAY IN THE FIGHT!

Posts: 1849 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 25 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sure seems to have some major discrepancies in the reporting. Spanish....American....55,000....35,000

Posts: 12095 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was just told the owner of this property is Headman Sibanda. By all accounts be is a pretty bad guy. Don't know myself.

Posts: 12095 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is going to make a interesting trial. I wonder if the USA would agree to extradite this dentist to Zim?

STAY IN THE FIGHT!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
Sure seems to have some major discrepancies in the reporting. Spanish....American....55,000....35,000
The 35,000 quoted was British Pounds.

Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - TV

one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GunsCore:
This is going to make a interesting trial. I wonder if the USA would agree to extradite this dentist to Zim?

Do you,for a second, think Obama would NOT send rich ol whitey back to Africa to face the Zim justice system?

rotflmo

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3108 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
JOINT PRESS STATEMENT BY ZIMBABWE PARKS AND WILDLIFE MANAGEMENT AUTHORITY AND SAFARI OPERATORS ASSOCIATION OF ZIMBABWE ON THE ILLEGAL HUNT OF A COLLARED LION AT ANTOINETTE FARM, HWANGE DISTRICT ON 1 JULY 2015 IN GWAYI CONSERVANCY BY BUSHMAN SAFARIS PROFESSIONAL HUNTER, THEO BRONKHORST.

Theo Bronchorst, a professional hunter with Bushman Safaris is facing criminal charges (VIC FALLS Police CR 27/07/2015) for allegedly killing a collared lion on Antoinette farm in Gwayi Conservancy, Hwange district on 1 July 2015. The lion named ‘Cecil’ was well known and regularly sighted by tourists in the Main camp area of Hwange National Park. It is alleged that the hunter connived with the Antoinette land owner, Mr. Honest Trymore Ndlovu to kill the lion. Ongoing investigations to date, suggest that the killing of the lion was illegal since the land owner was not allocated a lion on his hunting quota for 2015. Therefore, all persons implicated in this case are due to appear in court facing poaching charges.

Zimbabwe Parks and Wildlife Management as the Regulatory Authority and custodian of all wild animals in Zimbabwe issues hunting permits and hunting quota for all hunting areas in Zimbabwe so that only animals on quota are to be hunted. In this case, both the professional hunter and land owner had no permit or quota to justify the offtake of the lion and therefore are liable for the illegal hunt.

Both professional hunter Theo Bronkhorst’s licence number 553 who was involved in the hunt and the owner of Antoinette farm, Mr. Honest Trymore Ndlovu are being jointly charged for illegally hunting the lion. The two are due to appear in court on Wednesday, 29 July 2015. Efforts are being made to interview the other professional hunter, Zane Bronkhorst, licence number 558, who was also involved in the illegal hunt.

The Professional Hunter Theo Bronkhosrt’s Licence has been suspended with immediate effect. The lion trophy has also been confiscated. The relevant stakeholders have been informed and are being updated about this matter.

The danger of civilization, of course, is that you will piss away your life on nonsense

Posts: 782 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: 22 July 2005Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
WHOOPS- Right!! I am sitting here watching our SLAUGHTER on CNN now as I write this!!

470EDDY

Posts: 2674 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwana Bunduki:
quote:

So you would a shoot a lion that is a known tourist attraction to satisfy your own selfish needs and the rest of us including our children's future being able to hunt lion can just go pound sand?

Sorry but that is just not cool.

Jeff

Jeff - I'm hunting still, so I only had limited info in my original post. It sounds like this was actually illegal, etc. so obviously that changes things hugely in this particular case - it sounds like a real screw up. Just keep in mind I am struggling here to get all the accurate info.

That aside, any animal in a legal hunting area, under legal hunting conditions is/should be fair game - collar or not. That was my point, without all the other extenuating circumstances.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

One of Us
Picture of editor-ant
posted Hide Post
Good Evening All.

I am posting this on all the relevant links on this subject, as I believe we have been able to gather information and fact, hopefully devoid of emotion circulating at present, and which I think will answer many of the questions being posed. Please visit www.africanhunteronline.com to see “Lion Conservation Under Threat - Cecil the Lion, the Facts”.

Ant Williams

African Hunter Magazine African Fisherman Magazine

One of Us
Picture of bambazonke
posted Hide Post
thanks Ant tu2

Posts: 104 | Location: Zimbabwe somewhere | Registered: 31 August 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Love you Matt, but your over the top on the Zim bashing.

Dave Fulson

Posts: 1467 | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Great timely article by Ira, Ant. Just please ask Ira to change the caption of Palmer with the "elk"-to SHEEP; it's not an elk-it's a SHEEP. Big Grin Ira should know better, being originally from Reno, Nevada. Big Grin