THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Zimbabwe: Hunters Investigate Killing of Zim's Best-Known Lion
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Zimbabwe: Hunters Investigate Killing of Zim's Best-Known Lion
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by INTREPID SAFARIS:
Bambazonke, so what you are saying because of his last name that makes him South African?? bloody hell care to explain that one to us all??it was clearly stated that he belong the ZPHGA?? OR DID I MISS READ??

Why waste your breath on this group of perfect people. Your a SA ph so you must be a crook or not able to hunt like some of the guys from other countries.

I just find it funny how SA guys get taken apart on stuff and now something in zim happens and it is Sa guys who still get brought up. Some guys need to get a clue and get over themselves about stuff that happened in the past. This thread just shows how bad things happen in each country and by people from in that country.
I sure do which I could have been around all these perfect people growing up they sure could have stopped me from making the mistakes I have done in my life.

Posts: 576 | Location: macungie , Pa | Registered: 21 March 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bronkhorst has always been a bit scaly. thumbdown

Posts: 175 | Location: Somewhere in a sale-barn | Registered: 07 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by cal pappas:
In 2008 I hunted near Matetsi in a camp run by Theo. Gary Hopkins was the PH. Any more info needed? If so, just ask.
Cal[/QUOTE
Please tell us Cal.

Posts: 12095 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
I don't know this guy but I have heard his name before. I think he has been around a while.

Hunting on seized land is bothersome. If the client was an American, that might well be a problem.

Hunter was Spanish I believe...but the hunt was on seized land and that definitely casts shadows on Bronkhorst.

Posts: 175 | Location: Somewhere in a sale-barn | Registered: 07 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bcap:
quote:
Bambazonke, so what you are saying because of his last name that makes him South African?? bloody hell care to explain that one to us all??it was clearly stated that he belong the ZPHGA?? OR DID I MISS READ??

Why waste your breath on this group of perfect people. Your a SA ph so you must be a crook or not able to hunt like some of the guys from other countries.

I just find it funny how SA guys get taken apart on stuff and now something in zim happens and it is Sa guys who still get brought up. Some guys need to get a clue and get over themselves about stuff that happened in the past. This thread just shows how bad things happen in each country and by people from in that country.
I sure do which I could have been around all these perfect people growing up they sure could have stopped me from making the mistakes I have done in my life.

If you wish to offer a differing opinion, it is best to arm your self with facts and not emotion. I am sorry but in the likelyhood of dodgy behaviour involving Zimbabwe hunting, the FACTS bear out that a majority of the time a South African operator is involved. I am sorry that hurts your feelings.

Jeff

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwana Bunduki:
quote:
quote:

If you wish to offer a differing opinion, it is best to arm your self with facts and not emotion. I am sorry but in the likelyhood of dodgy behaviour involving Zimbabwe hunting, the FACTS bear out that a majority of the time a South African operator is involved. I am sorry that hurts your feelings.

Jeff

I would rather look at the facts about each hunt.Not just finger point because of past things that someone read about. funny how there is almost always a crook zim ph standing next to that SA ph but it is always the sa guys fault.
I would rather read and form a opinion on facts then the emotion of thinking badly or wrongly about someone no matter were they come from. So best to arm ones self with facts and stop acting like everyone else is perfect other the SA ph's.

Posts: 576 | Location: macungie , Pa | Registered: 21 March 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by cal pappas:
In 2008 I hunted near Matetsi in a camp run by Theo. Gary Hopkins was the PH. Any more info needed? If so, just ask.
Cal[/QUOTE
Please tell us Cal.

What would you like to know? There is not much to tell, really. Theo and I butted heads a few years ago on AR when I was critical of the condition of his camp. Camp staff was worthless and one threw my tip money on the ground and said it was "not enough." So I picked up the money and walked away. The hunt was sold to me as Matetsi but it was not. It was adjacent areas called Breakfast and Kisibi. Camp was a nice view overlooking the river and lake but ants in the fire area so no traditional campfires, good dinners, crap for lunch (cold meat between bread--that's all), and a refusal to get me diet pop to drink (I'm diabetic) until the evening of the last night in camp. PH was Gary Hopkins and he was very disappointed with the camp with a leopard hunter from another of Theo's areas hunting our area and asked me for a writeup as he was going to sue Theo. Nothing came of this. I shot one buffalo (poorly shot with my .600 as ISS will tell you--over and over) and a mate shot a tuskless, waterbuck, and a kudu all with a .475 Rodda. To the best of my knowledge all hunts were legal and our trophies came a few months later (just skulls). The camp manager, Adrian, is now a PH and we enjoyed visiting his wife to be in Vic Falls. The hunt was OK, but I would not go back there.
Perhaps someone can find my prior post with more details.
Anything else, Larry?
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Jeff

I would rather look at the facts about each hunt.Not just finger point because of past things that someone read about. funny how there is almost always a crook zim ph standing next to that SA ph but it is always the sa guys fault.
I would rather read and form a opinion on facts then the emotion of thinking badly or wrongly about someone no matter were they come from. So best to arm ones self with facts and stop acting like everyone else is perfect other the SA ph's.

If you find AR such an unworthy site full of elitists why do you spend time here?

I am serious with that question.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Milo Shanghai
posted Hide Post
I hope this is all true. If the whole episode was illegal and underhand it reflects badly on a very limited number of criminals and scum bags rather than the hunting community as a whole. If it is true, everyone can join in condemning the event.

The biggest threat to hunting is the behaviour of hunters.

quote:
Originally posted by tradewinds:
An update on the killing of Cecil, the famed Hwange lion.

The PH, Theo Bronkhurst, and the concession “owner”, one Honest Mpofu, were arrested and appeared in Hwange Magistrate court on the charge of illegally killing a lion. According to sources, there was no permit for lion on their hunt, and the concession area (Antionette) does not have any lion on quota. They have been remanded out of custody until August 6th. so Parks can continue their investigations.
Cecil was shot at night, no doubt after being blinded with a spotlight, undoubtedly over a bait which would have been dragged along the Parks boundary (supposedly for a leopard!) - indicative of the poor ethics and the poor quality hunter that we see too often these days. Undoubtedly, the PH intended to do a “quota transfer” where Cecil would have been recorded as shot in another area which had a quota and permit – the satellite collar blew the plan ( although Bronkhurst apparently tried to destroy the collar and all evidence of the dead Cecil). Had this lion not been collared, Bronkhurst probably would have got away with this crime, and I very much doubt this is the first dodgy episode in his hunting career.
Lets hope that corruption does not prevail and the full force of the law falls on both these characters – we do not need these types operating in Zimbabwe.
I will keep posts up when the trial commences in Hwange Magistrates court.

Bhejane Trust

Posts: 680 | Location: London | Registered: 03 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frostbit:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Jeff

If you find AR such an unworthy site full of elitists why do you spend time here?

I am serious with that question.

Because the site like most sites has some good info. Just need to block out all the perfect people sometime to get the facts which is what I like to look for.
Why is that a concern of yours or do I have different rules about posting since I dont always agree with the bs some say. Remember that is what makes the site so good you can say what ever you want. I just dont take my ball and go home when I dont agree with someone or need to trash the site or any other site to make myself feel good or try and fit in.

one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.theguardian.com/wor...lling-cecil-the-lion

Zimbabwean authorities hunt Spaniard accused of killing Cecil the lion

European allegedly paid €50k for chance to kill tourist attraction, who was found headless after being shot with a bow and arrow and then tracked for 40 hours

Stephen Burgen in Barcelona
Sunday 26 July 2015 07.01 EDT Last modified on Sunday 26 July 2015 09.01 EDT

Authorities in Zimbabwe are trying track down a Spaniard who allegedly paid park guides €50,000 (£35,000) for the chance to kill Cecil, one of Africa’s most famous lions, who was the star attraction at the Hwange national park. The creature was found skinned and headless on the outskirts of the park.

The 13-year-old lion was wearing a GPS collar as part of a research project carried out by Oxford University, making it possible to trace its last movements when it was tricked into leaving the park and shot with a bow and arrow. The hunters then tracked the dying animal for 40 hours before they killed it with a rifle.

Bait, in the form of a freshly killed animal, was used to tempt Cecil out of the park, a technique commonly used so that hunters can “legally” kill protected lions.

“Cecil’s death is a tragedy, not only because he was a symbol of Zimbabwe but because now we have to give up for dead his six cubs, as a new male won’t allow them to live so as to encourage Cecil’s three females to mate,” said Johnny Rodrigues, head of the Zimbabwe Conservation Task Force. “The two people who accompanied the hunter have been arrested but we haven’t yet tracked down the hunter, who is Spanish.”

The Zimbabwe Professional Hunters and Guides Association admitted that its members were involved and that the case was being investigated. It claims it was a private safari and therefore not illegal, but the government insists that the lion lived on the reserve and came under its protection.

The Oxford University study was looking into the impact of sports hunting on lions living in the safari area surrounding the national park. The research found that 34 of 62 tagged lions died during the study period. 24 were shot by sport hunters. Sport hunters in the safari areas surrounding the park killed 72% of tagged adult males from the study area.

Dr Andrew Loveridge, one of the principal researchers on the project, said that “hunting predators on the boundaries of national parks such as Hwange causes significant disturbance and knock-on effects” such as infanticide when new males enter the prides.

Police are seeking the lion’s remains among the country’s taxidermists. The Spanish conservation organisation Chelui4lions has written to Cites de España, the body that oversees the import of endangered species, asking it to prevent the importing of Cecil’s head as a trophy.

“From 2007 to 2012 Spain was the country that imported the most lion trophies from South Africa. During this period it imported 450 heads, compared to 100 in Germany. Europe needs to ban these lion hunting trophies altogether,” said Luis Muñoz, a Chelui4lions spokesman.

“What hunter, what sort of demented person, would want to kill a magnificent adult lion, known to and photographed by all the park’s visitors?” Muñoz said. “We’re ashamed of the fact that in Spain there are rich madmen who pay for the pleasure of killing wild animals such as lions.”

Bryan Orford, a professional wildlife guide who has worked in Hwange and filmed Cecil many times, told National Geographic that the lion was the park’s “biggest tourist attraction”. Orford calculates that with tourists from just one nearby lodge collectively paying €8,000 per day, Zimbabwe would have brought in more in just five days by having Cecil’s photograph taken rather than being shot by someone paying a one-off fee of €50,000.

The incident, which occurred earlier this month and has only just come to light, has caused outrage in Zimbabwe, coming only days after the ZCTF revealed that 23 elephant cubs had been separated from their herds in Hwange and exported to zoos in China and the United Arab Emirates. The Zimbabwean government insists the trade is legal and measures are in place to guarantee the animals’ wellbeing.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9486 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Milo Shanghai
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kathi:
http://www.theguardian.com/wor...lling-cecil-the-lion

Zimbabwean authorities hunt Spaniard accused of killing Cecil the lion

European allegedly paid €50k for chance to kill tourist attraction, who was found headless after being shot with a bow and arrow and then tracked for 40 hours

Stephen Burgen in Barcelona
Sunday 26 July 2015 07.01 EDT Last modified on Sunday 26 July 2015 09.01 EDT

Authorities in Zimbabwe are trying track down a Spaniard who allegedly paid park guides €50,000 (£35,000) for the chance to kill Cecil, one of Africa’s most famous lions, who was the star attraction at the Hwange national park. The creature was found skinned and headless on the outskirts of the park.

The 13-year-old lion was wearing a GPS collar as part of a research project carried out by Oxford University, making it possible to trace its last movements when it was tricked into leaving the park and shot with a bow and arrow. The hunters then tracked the dying animal for 40 hours before they killed it with a rifle.

Bait, in the form of a freshly killed animal, was used to tempt Cecil out of the park, a technique commonly used so that hunters can “legally” kill protected lions.

“Cecil’s death is a tragedy, not only because he was a symbol of Zimbabwe but because now we have to give up for dead his six cubs, as a new male won’t allow them to live so as to encourage Cecil’s three females to mate,” said Johnny Rodrigues, head of the Zimbabwe Conservation Task Force. “The two people who accompanied the hunter have been arrested but we haven’t yet tracked down the hunter, who is Spanish.”

The Zimbabwe Professional Hunters and Guides Association admitted that its members were involved and that the case was being investigated. It claims it was a private safari and therefore not illegal, but the government insists that the lion lived on the reserve and came under its protection.

The Oxford University study was looking into the impact of sports hunting on lions living in the safari area surrounding the national park. The research found that 34 of 62 tagged lions died during the study period. 24 were shot by sport hunters. Sport hunters in the safari areas surrounding the park killed 72% of tagged adult males from the study area.

Dr Andrew Loveridge, one of the principal researchers on the project, said that “hunting predators on the boundaries of national parks such as Hwange causes significant disturbance and knock-on effects” such as infanticide when new males enter the prides.

Police are seeking the lion’s remains among the country’s taxidermists. The Spanish conservation organisation Chelui4lions has written to Cites de España, the body that oversees the import of endangered species, asking it to prevent the importing of Cecil’s head as a trophy.

“From 2007 to 2012 Spain was the country that imported the most lion trophies from South Africa. During this period it imported 450 heads, compared to 100 in Germany. Europe needs to ban these lion hunting trophies altogether,” said Luis Muñoz, a Chelui4lions spokesman.

“What hunter, what sort of demented person, would want to kill a magnificent adult lion, known to and photographed by all the park’s visitors?” Muñoz said. “We’re ashamed of the fact that in Spain there are rich madmen who pay for the pleasure of killing wild animals such as lions.”

Bryan Orford, a professional wildlife guide who has worked in Hwange and filmed Cecil many times, told National Geographic that the lion was the park’s “biggest tourist attraction”. Orford calculates that with tourists from just one nearby lodge collectively paying €8,000 per day, Zimbabwe would have brought in more in just five days by having Cecil’s photograph taken rather than being shot by someone paying a one-off fee of €50,000.

The incident, which occurred earlier this month and has only just come to light, has caused outrage in Zimbabwe, coming only days after the ZCTF revealed that 23 elephant cubs had been separated from their herds in Hwange and exported to zoos in China and the United Arab Emirates. The Zimbabwean government insists the trade is legal and measures are in place to guarantee the animals’ wellbeing.

What a gang f**k.

Those "hunters" who think their behaviour doesn't effect the rest of us need to be smelling the coffee right now. Time to get our house in order because attempting to defend the indefensible is not an intelligent or winning strategy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
By all means, lets start throwing each other under the buss...just don't kick and scream when its your turn. and make no mistake someday the hunting that you love and cherish will be next on their list.

If it was illegal then the appropriate punishment should be applied. If not then they were legal hunters and "one of us"

Posts: 11636 | Location: Wisconsin  | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Heym 450/400:

If not then they were legal hunters and "one of us".

Sorry, maybe they are "one of you" but they are not "one of me". For someone to shoot a collared lion that is well known to the local outfitting and guiding community as a lion from a National Park, and not just any lion but a lion is that is iconic in Zimbabwe, that is not a hunter I aspire to be associated with. Apparently ZPHGA agrees:

"ZPHGA confirms the Professional Hunter in charge of the Safari is a member of ZPHGA. Therefore ZPHGA can make a ruling on the aspect of ethics and his membership at this time. ZPHGA in the follow up of the investigation concludes that in regarding the responsibility of his membership, the PH was is in violation of the ethics of ZPHGA. ZPHGA therefore with immediate effect, suspend his membership indefinitely."

I see no reason to or purpose served by standing with someone that acts irresponsibly. How can that possibly be good for the sport?

Mike

Posts: 21698 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Milo Shanghai
posted Hide Post
Mike, it is very clear that a worrying number don't care what is "good for the sport". This has to change or we're all going under that bus.

quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
quote:

If not then they were legal hunters and "one of us".

Sorry, maybe they are "one of you" but they are not "one of me". For someone to shoot a collared lion that is well known to the local outfitting and guiding community as a lion from a National Park, and not just any lion but a lion is that is iconic in Zimbabwe, that is not a hunter I aspire to be associated with. Apparently ZPHGA agrees:

"ZPHGA confirms the Professional Hunter in charge of the Safari is a member of ZPHGA. Therefore ZPHGA can make a ruling on the aspect of ethics and his membership at this time. ZPHGA in the follow up of the investigation concludes that in regarding the responsibility of his membership, the PH was is in violation of the ethics of ZPHGA. ZPHGA therefore with immediate effect, suspend his membership indefinitely."

I see no reason to or purpose served by standing with someone that acts irresponsibly. How can that possibly be good for the sport?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
when you lost 90%of your gun rights, it was because of people just like you who said why should we stand up for people who want semi auto or hand guns,etc,etc....i don't hunt with weapons like that we have to police ourselves..blah blah blah..next thing you know you can barely own a pellet gun. good luck with your strategy

Posts: 11636 | Location: Wisconsin  | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Comparing types of guns or hunting with various weapons to the ethics of hunting is an obfuscation of the argument.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Let me get my dictionary..professor.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The hunters then tracked the dying animal for 40 hours before they killed it with a rifle.

coffee

For ZPHGA reacting in this manner means there is more to the story than what has so far been exposed.

Could it possibly mean that according to the association's code of ethics, known Park animals should be left alone, particularly those wearing a collar?
Most National Parks usually have a 1 mile buffer zone to reduce incidents of this nature and if it is true that this animal was purposely targeted and lured out of the park the public outcry is well warranted.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fujotupu:
quote:
The hunters then tracked the dying animal for 40 hours before they killed it with a rifle.

coffee

For ZPHGA reacting in this manner means there is more to the story than what has so far been exposed.

Could it possibly mean that according to the association's code of ethics, known Park animals should be left alone, particularly those wearing a collar?
Most National Parks usually have a 1 mile buffer zone to reduce incidents of this nature and if it is true that this animal was purposely targeted and lured out of the park the public outcry is well warranted.

If thats the case then I'll be the first to help throw them under the buss...I have a feeling, and i could be completely wrong, but it seems to me they are trying to sacrifice one of their own in order to save face. we will see

One of Us
Picture of Milo Shanghai
posted Hide Post
We still have 99.9% of our gun rights. All we lost were handguns and automatic centre fire weapons which were of no use for sporting purposes in any case. But don't let the facts get in the way of a good swing in the dark.

quote:
when you lost 90%of your gun rights, it was because of people just like you who said why should we stand up for people who want semi auto or hand guns,etc,etc....i don't hunt with weapons like that we have to police ourselves..blah blah blah..next thing you know you can barely own a pellet gun. good luck with your strategy

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. I applaud ZPHGA for taking a stand on the issue. It would be nice to see other similar organizations like PHASA take a stand on some of their member's shady actions . . . like hunting trophy elephant bulls as ration elephants in Zim's National Parks.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Milo Shanghai:
We still have 99.9% of our gun rights. All we lost were handguns and automatic centre fire weapons which were of no use for sporting purposes in any case. But don't let the facts get in the way of a good swing in the dark.

[QUOTE]

Oh!!! Excuse me you "only lost hand guns and semi autos". rotflmo
You still have "99%". Lmfao.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anyone wanna end up with 99% of their hunting rights left?...according to the British standard. Roll Eyes

One of Us
Picture of Milo Shanghai
posted Hide Post
What you don't seem to understand is that almost no-one in the UK held handguns or automatic weapons in the first place. There was, and is, no use for them whatsoever.

I have been shooting for 40 years and have more guns and more opportunity to use them now than when I started.

quote:

[QUOTE]

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's funny because you have no idea how foolish that sounds to an American... Look down your nose all you want but we don't determine rights by what "most" people have or do not have.

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Help those of us out that are obviously confused, how exactly does this Spanish hunter shooting Cecil, a National Park lion, help to advance and preserve sport hunting? In your view, does it do sport hunting more good than harm? If it does more harm than good, than why shouldn't it be condemned?

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Help those of us out that are obviously confused, how exactly does this Spanish hunter shooting Cecil, a National Park lion, help to advance and preserve sport hunting? In your view, does it do sport hunting more good than harm? If it does more harm than good, than why shouldn't it be condemned?

I can't answer most of that till I have all the facts. If the hunt was legal and it's simply a witch hunt by the antis. Then I support it. If it was illegal then throw the book at em. As far as what image the antis have of us, don't fool yourself they will try and ban everything you hunt and could care less about your standards or ethics. If your asking about the general public. I have yet to see a news story on it or anyone talking about it. It's a non story in the world of mass shootings and terrorism.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Btw.. You frame the question in a very interesting way. Why do you assume that this Spanish hunter knew it was a national park lion named Cecil? Why wouldn't you assume he was hunting with his PH in a hunting area and came across a shootable male lion and was told to "take em"

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Milo Shanghai:
What you don't seem to understand is that almost no-one in the UK held handguns or automatic weapons in the first place. There was, and is, no use for them whatsoever.

I have been shooting for 40 years and have more guns and more opportunity to use them now than when I started.

quote:

[QUOTE]

Pardon my off topic comment as this isn't related to shooting Cecil, but to the statement in bold, ARE YOU FNG KIDDING ME? Here in the states, we have this little thing we like to call: The Right to Self Defense!

Back to the lion story now!

One of Us
Picture of Milo Shanghai
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
quote:

quote:

[QUOTE]

Pardon my off topic comment as this isn't related to shooting Cecil, but to the statement in bold, ARE YOU FNG KIDDING ME? Here in the states, we have this little thing we like to call: The Right to Self Defense!

They were never used for that purpose over here. So, no, I'm not kidding you.

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
quote:

quote:

[QUOTE]

They were never used for that purpose over here. So, no, I'm not kidding you.

Per this article, I would think being able to carry a handgun would be quite useful! But being an American, that's you Britt's business.

http://sob.apotheon.org/?p=1323

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do.

Eloquently put. Should be a guiding principle for every action and behavior, not just hunting. beer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vvreddy:
quote:
Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do.

Eloquently put. Should be a guiding principle for every action and behavior, not just hunting. beer

And like it or not everyone looks at that differently. Right or wrong that is a person right to have the ethics they believe in.

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

And like it or not everyone looks at that differently. Right or wrong that is a person right to have the ethics they believe in.

Is that what you teach your children? That everyone looks at right and wrong differently? That so long as you believe that what you are doing is right it is okay?

[vvreddy, wish I could claim that statement but it was actually made by a former Supreme Court justice.]

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Is that what you teach your children? That everyone looks at right and wrong differently? That so long as you believe that what you are doing is right it is okay?

[vvreddy, wish I could claim that statement but it was actually made by a former Supreme Court justice.]

Yup you bet I do. Just like I tell him the clown of a president is wrong but thinks he is right. Everyone and I mean everyone has there idea of right and wrong.
For the record I raised one hell of a good kid and that is not a good place to go with me. He sure as hell does not think he is perfect like some like to make themselves out to be on here.

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Written rules and regulations apply to ALL hunters, ethics are individual and should remain so.

For some strange reason the killing of this particular lion is a question of Legalities, NOT Ethics.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have yet to see a news story on it or anyone talking about it. It's a non story in the world of mass shootings and terrorism.

Really? Try Time magazine with Youtube link, Guardian newspaper in England and others. It will be on TV very shortly since there is lots of footage of cute and harmless Simba Cecil walking around. And probably talking too like in the Disney movies! Eeker

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just for the life of me under stand how anyone can attempt to defend this action.

It is truly beyond me and really a sad statement.

Spare me the "perfect" comments.

Jeff

One of Us
posted Hide Post
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/...a3ce4b0224d8832a327?

For those who say there has been no mention of this in the mainstream media.

Jeff