Find
Notify
Tools

Hunters physical shape
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of LittleJoe
posted
I don't want to highjack another thread so I am starting a new one.

I guess this question would be mainly directed to Outfitters and PH's.

Do the majority of hunters lie about their physical well being?

I know in my case I absolutely do not. I probably provide way to much info as I know upfront I am overweight and have two bad knees and a bad plantar fasciitis problem at this point. I haven't gone on a sheep hunt as I know physically it is not fair to me or my guide at this time.

I know the majority of people are proud and don't want to admit to certain things but why lie about how good or bad of shape a person is in? There is to much time and money involved not to be honest.

Just curious what others see and hear.

Posts: 1355 | Registered: 04 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The reality is unless one has inherited money most "pay for themselves" African hunters will go to Africa past their physical prime. The reality of making money and paying for Africa is what it is.

All African hunters (aside from some hard core meat poachers) are "matchsticks" compared to the animals we hunt. Take away the technology - the gun, bullet, the truck - we are a joke in natural ranking.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I've often thought that our PHs, trackers, skinners and others likely get a real laugh out of most of us when we are not around. Our so-called African experience (ie. whether we've been on 1-100 trips- we're all 'experts' on Africa), combined with our fitness, preparation and sometimes our 'kit' probably causes a lot smiles, snickers, laughs and/or raised eyebrows. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
For most of us working gets in the way of being in prime condition unless of course we might be an athletics coach. For me to do a sheep hunt I would have to quit work for awhile and feel the burn.

Posts: 966 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 23 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"I yam what I yam and that's all what I yam."

-Popeye

In spite of best efforts the years are catching up. After just returning from 14 days, about 120 miles of walking and a fall, I am beginning to rethink things. Going again next year, but not so sure after that.
My PH's have taken good care of me, kept me safe and only pushed me a reasonable amount after assuring them being pushed a bit is within my expectations, that's part of "professional."
They get it, believe me.
Get a trekking pole, but really at some point instead of getting stronger day by day, we wear down. In the final analysis as clients, we get out of it what we are willing and able to put into it.

Posts: 1981 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Round is a shape. 207 Lbs at my doctor's office on Monday, I'm almost a Weeble, now.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12684 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
Hunting in Africa is nothing but a shooting vacation. Just how hard is it to walk around on flat ground until the PH points and says..."Shoot that one."

Like UEG said, we all act like badasses and try to "out Africa" one another. What a joke.

Hell, most of you guys don't even want your trophies.

All that said, I enjoy it but see it for exactly what it is.

Proof... http://forums.accuratereloadin...043/m/4091096822/p/1

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3523 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hunting in Africa is nothing but a shooting vacation. Just how hard is it to walk around on flat ground until the PH points and says..."Shoot that one."

Like UEG said, we all act like badasses and try to "out Africa" one another. What a joke.

It does not get much plainer or truer than that.

Admittedly, I have never been to Africa, but from reading hunting reports on here over the years, it seems like that with a few exceptions such as a really good Elephant, the physical exertion of the client, is not on the same level as say any sheep hunt.

Also, and this is just my opinion, but it seems like the reason so many make repeat trips to Africa is that they actually can plan a hunt where they can take multiple species on one hunt.

In North America, that is more difficult on a couple of levels including physically.

Not saying that ALL African hunts are less physically demanding or that all North American hunts are physically difficult, but there is a difference.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
IF the client is honest, then a PH can always make a plan. But it's a little challenging when a client with a BMI north of 50 with an undisclosed heart condition wants to chase Vaal Rhebok in the Drakensberg range at 8,000 ft and the client gets winded walking from the sofa to the dinner table at sea level.

But I have seen a few "fit" guys begin the cry a little when it's 110 in the Zambezi Valley chasing buff across hill and dale after a few days.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
quote:

Admittedly, I have never been to Africa, but from reading hunting reports on here over the years, it seems like that with a few exceptions such as a really good Elephant, the physical exertion of the client, is not on the same level as say any sheep hunt.

Also, and this is just my opinion, but it seems like the reason so many make repeat trips to Africa is that they actually can plan a hunt where they can take multiple species on one hunt.

In North America, that is more difficult on a couple of levels including physically.

Not saying that ALL African hunts are less physically demanding or that all North American hunts are physically difficult, but there is a difference.

Hi Randall, you affected by the floods at all?

I have had a "couple" difficult hunts or hunts for species in Africa but they have been few and far between.

Right off the top, Sitatunga in Bangweulu was hard...very hard. Being submerged for 9 days, freezing your ass off at night and sweating your balls off all day sucked. We packed a fly camp deep into the swamp and camped on palm islands.

The Bakos in CAR were hard. Hot and thick, hard to walk through. Funny, the trackers slid through them like shit through a Goose.

But the reality is, success rates are nearly 100%, shots aren't too hard (normally) and the ground is mostly flat. Bottom line, if you can write the check, you too can fill up a Trophy Room.

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3523 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

No Sir, Thank You for asking.

Lora and I live in north central Texas about 70 miles south of the Red River, and actually we are experiencing somewhat of a drought.

If we do not start getting some rains ranchers are looking at selling off a portion of their cattle and the danger of pasture fores is increasing.

Back to the topic, the reason I went on a Musk Ox hunt in 2000 because I figured that would be the closest I would ever get to a sheep!

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just saw your comment Steve.

Personally, and I know there are exceptions, but most American hunts do not have the support staff that an African hunt has, and except for the effects poachers have on the game numbers in Africa, there is not the same level of competition for game that our "Season's" system creates with most species here in the states.

Hope all is well with you.

One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted Hide Post
No mailbox money for me- I work for a living.

I get fat for bikini season and in shape for hunting season. Still a 2XL though no matter what time of the year.

I've always told my guides I'm fat ass but I can walk/climb......and I can back that up. Funny I can't jog 100 yards, but I can go 30 min on a treadmill on an incline at 6 mph on demand.

Altitude (the lack of oxygen) has been the only thing that has ever slowed me. It's a very scary feeling when you're drowning and gasping for air despite the abundance of fresh mountain air all around you.

There are two types of people in the world: those that get things done and those who make excuses. There are no others.

Posts: 1439 | Location: El Campo Texas | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Steve:

I agree; Africa is a breeze compared to mountain climbing or many backpack trips I have been on.

As for staying in shape, I run 4 miles every other day; takes about 30 min. If you don't have time to do that, you really are not serious.

I am 5/7, 149 lbs, 58 yrs old. I step on the scale every day and adjust my exercise/diet depending on the scale. In my experience, those with bad knees are usually overweight.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

But the reality is, success rates are nearly 100%, shots aren't too hard (normally) and the ground is mostly flat. Bottom line, if you can write the check, you too can fill up a Trophy Room.

I think I said it years ago: "There is no shortage of fat guys with trophy rooms full of African game."

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FMC:
Funny I can't jog 100 yards, but I can go 30 min on a treadmill on an incline at 6 mph on demand.

You need to check what that "6" means on the treadmill, because 6 mph translates to 10 min miles. Certainly not blazing, but that is a jog, not a fast walk.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Bottom line is you are going to enjoy yourself more if you are in good physical shape.

Also depends on what you really want from your hunt.

Most professional hunters will adjust to whatever you wish to do, physically.

I have been keeping track of our walks for the past few years, using a GPS.

We have averaged anything from 11 kilometers a day on one safari, and have average more than 20 kilometers a day on another.

Most fall within that range.

Funny enough, our trackers think we tend to hunt hard, and they do enjoy it too.

People in wheelchairs have gone hunting in Africa, and had a great time.

I think it depends on your frame of mind.

I have heard of young hunters who go on a walk one day and absolutely refuse to do so anytime after that.

"Walking sucks" is apparently one of their favorite answers.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68597 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Karoo
posted Hide Post
Much as what Saeed says above. You don't have to be in great shape to have success on an African hunt, but it certainly helps.
Sometimes a PH will not say much and allow more "ambush" style hunting, but the truth is that your chances would be better if you could just climb the hill on the left or even more if you could climb the mountain on the right.
Most clients are perfectly reasonable in communicating their ability levels. What is unfair, sometimes, is when a hunter grumbles about limited shot opportunities but does not acknowledge that much limitation is due to his physical abilities.
While the hunting client will generally soon enough be aware that he has these limitations, a decent PH will not make him feel bad about it.

Posts: 786 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Randall, glad you had no problems with the flood. I'm currently camped out in our Dallas offices because we won't be able to get into our Houston office until next month, sometime. African hunts can be easy, but not all are. In 2013 I almost had heatstroke chasing bushpig on a mountain in Lukwati, western Tanzana. Took an elephant there where we had "lunch" at 9:30 or 10:00 at night - no time to stop before then. Very steep and lots of very deep korongos that had to be crossed. Just back from a hunt in the Natron area and we walked miles after oryx. We pursued oryx in the foothills of Ol'doinyio Lingai. It was steep; wind was stiff, and we were having to walk into high laid-down grass. It was brutal. And then we hunted buffalo in the mountains. It was tough. So I take exception that African hunting is some kind of cake walk. It can be, but not necessarily. Depends on what and where.

Posts: 10307 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
So I take exception that African hunting is some kind of cake walk

I don't know about that.

One can book a hunt with some idiot who will even shoot your animals for you, while you take a drink in the camp rotflmo

Posts: 68597 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am sure some do lie about it. All safaris are not physically easy as some seem to think. All terrain is not flat in Africa.

I have gone on elephants hunts where I averaged walking over 20 miles per day over terrain that was quite rough and most certainly not flat. All done in extreme heat. I have followed individual buffalo over 14 miles at high speed in extreme heat prompting the PH to say at the end that many clients could not do that. My first elephant was taken after following it 17 miles, a good portion of which was covered while running. Long story.

It certainly has not become any easier as I have gotten older. I put a lot of effort into staying in shape. I lift weights hard 3 times a week with a trainer. At 2 months shy of 62, I am lifting more weights than I ever have. I do a variety of hard core cardio 6 times a week generally. I do all of this before I go to work where I happen to often work long hours.

Does all of this help? At just shy of 61, I did a backpack Dall sheep hunt. I guess it does. On the other hand, about 4 years ago, I suddenly gained about 50 pounds for no apparent reason. After 4 days of testing in Mayo Clinic, they diagnosed the cause down to one word. Stress.

It is easy to let physical fitness slide. To me, it all depends on how one wants quality of life one as one ages. A bigger issue to me is flexibility. Damn, my flexibility has gone to hell over the years.

Posts: 12094 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
A bigger issue to me is flexibility. Damn, my flexibility has gone to hell over the years.

+1 to all you wrote...but +1 X100 on that one.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37719 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
At age 75, with two knees made out of titanium and the ravages of that age, I no longer can do the tough hunts I enjoyed so much. It was really hard for me to come to that conclusion. I can still do some sort of African hunt or photo safari, a southern deer hunt is not out of the question, and my hunting camp in Pennsylvania beckons. Wink

Most of my money I spent on hunting and fishing. The rest I just wasted

Posts: 261 | Location: Saint Thomas, Pennsylvania | Registered: 14 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Like most hunting, a safari in Africa can range from "very easy" to "moderately difficult". Tracking hunts, particularly late season tracking hunts can wring out the best of us. Elephant, buffalo and LDE in 90 degree + temps are very challenging. A lot of boot leather is burned on a 10 or 14 day hunt over terrain that can range from sandy and flat to rocky and rolling with no guarantee of success.

Forest and swamp hunts for bongo, sitatunga and forest elephant can also be tough, physically and mentally. 6 to 8 hours in a jungle or swamp may not rack up the same number of miles covered on the aforementioned hunts, but between heat, humidity and extremely taxing walking conditions can have you praying you reach the truck before the water runs out.

Once again, I think the easiest hunting is not African hunting, but blind hunting whitetails in the US... talk about "anyone can participate" kinds of sports.

The more active and fit you are, the more fun you will have on any hunt and the probability of success should rise in tandem. But even in mountain hunting I see a few outfitters offering helicopters into high mountain sheep camps to help get older, less fit hunters to the game.

And I think hunters are an aging population base, new recruitment is low so outfitters will have to offer alternatives in the future to keep they hunts sold. An older hunter, no matter his physical conditioning is not on par with a 25 year old fit hunter...

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7557 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vlwtx348
posted Hide Post
The answer to "What physical condition are you in?" is also relative.

I'm old, retired and have previous injuries. So my "fit" level is probably in the lower 50th percentile. (nationwide morbid obesity, aka couch potatoitis, keep me out of the lower 25%)
But compared to the average person on African Safari, I'm probably in the top 25%.
Like previously mentioned, most of us can't afford to go to Africa until later in life, when gravity and time have began to take their toll.

A couple of weeks ago we ask the OH what the elevation is in camp. "2000" is the answer.
On a hike over a big hill to begin a stalk on a zebra, I start slowing my pace to prevent my heart rate from getting to high. I'm wondering to myself how the shooter's heart rate is, and if he is going to be able to make a steady shot after walking at this pace.

That evening, around the fire, we agree that 2000 must mean meters, not feet rotflmo
After that initial walk, everything else was a breeze

Posts: 310 | Location: NE Texas | Registered: 12 February 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Capt. Purvis
posted Hide Post
I was helping some of our bear hounds men train in the Appalachians a few weeks ago. I thought that I was in shape. I really realized how out of shape I was when I was paddling out last Tuesday when the first swell of Irene started to arrive.

I normally drop fifteen pounds during the months of Dec and Jan alone. Some days I will walk as much as eight miles wading through flooded timber and soft bottom swamps with waders. Typically I go through at least three pairs of waders a season.

If someone is not use to walking in waders you can not expect them to walk in soft mud. You have to have keep your momentum or you will loose your balance. We use creek and jon boats to pull our clients through the low grounds. Every now and then we have someone that wants to walk. Some make it but they are in shape. It takes time for your body to condition to that type of walking. I will be on the porch stretching in the morning in my long underwear and first time clients look at me like I am crazy. They understand quick when they see how far we drag them through the swamps. I have to admit that I do start to feel good when I have to put a 22 year old kid, half my age, in the boat because he can not make it. It happens all the time. I pay for it at night when I wake up with leg cramps. I have to keep club soda or some other source of potassium by my bed.

Most of the time people tell you what they can do. I have handicapped blinds as well as blinds you can walk to with no waders. It is all about communication. When someone calls I ask them about their physical condition. There hunting will be better if they are honest because I will make the necessary arrangements.

Bottom line is that serious fair chase hunters are willing to work for their reward. They spend time conditioning for the hunt. I look at it just like when I was playing Football. The better physical condition you are in the less likely you are to be injured.

There are several hunts available for people with physical limitations. Just be honest with yourself and your Outfitter.

Captain Clark Purvis
www.roanokeriverwaterfowl.com/

Posts: 1141 | Location: Eastern NC Outer Banks | Registered: 21 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
I've often thought that our PHs, trackers, skinners and others likely get a real laugh out of most of us when we are not around. Our so-called African experience (ie. whether we've been on 1-100 trips- we're all 'experts' on Africa), combined with our fitness, preparation and sometimes our 'kit' probably causes a lot smiles, snickers, laughs and/or raised eyebrows. Big Grin

I can assure you there are stories told about me around campfires in Africa some good, some bad, and some downright funny. After about the third safari I learned not to take myself too seriously. That is not to say I do not take the hunting serious, I just learned to enjoy myself more.

quote:
Originally posted by Steve Ahrenberg:

Steve,

I respect you for the amount of experience you have in Africa, but it just seems as though you have become jaded. I will not argue that most hunts are not physically demanding and few if any require the same level of fitness as a sheep hunt or a 1000 mile bike ride. But hunting in Africa for me has been way more than walking around on flat ground and just shooting the one the PH points out. I will not write a long list of why, as there is no need to out Africa anybody, I will just say after nine safaris my experience is different than what you described.

one of us
Picture of Muletrain
posted Hide Post

This is a very recent photo. I am a 63 year old triathlete. That's an Ironman tat on my calf.
Walking with a rifle is child's play.
It's apalling how fat and out of shape most American men are.

Signing the log at the top of Guadalupe Peak.

"Who put the food in your mouth?"
Jack Lalane

Hahahaha!

Elephant Hunter,
Double Rifle Shooter Society,
NRA Lifetime Member,
Ten Safaris, in RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe

Posts: 955 | Location: Houston, Texas, USA | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Muletrain
posted Hide Post
quote:

Proof... http://forums.accuratereloadin...043/m/4091096822/p/1

Except for the ones who are not acting.

Elephant Hunter,
Double Rifle Shooter Society,
NRA Lifetime Member,
Ten Safaris, in RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe

Posts: 955 | Location: Houston, Texas, USA | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
quote:

I don't know about that.

One can book a hunt with some idiot who will even shoot your animalsBuffalo for you, while you take a drink in the camp when it chooses it's way to die rotflmo

Saeed, I fixed it for you. stir

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12684 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
quote:

I don't know about that.

One can book a hunt with some idiot who will even shoot your animalsBuffalo for you, while you take a drink in the camp when it chooses it's way to die rotflmo

Saeed, I fixed it for you. stir

Just imagine!

A human being letting an animal decide for him!

The mind boggles rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
End of the day it a damn vacation. If anything you have to do to hunt Africa is seriously discoumforting - don't do it. Spend your money else where. The sellers of hunting in Africa know that well.

Whitetail blind hunting in the us is not a seriously straining physical activity. Biggest issue is getting in the blind. However, dragging a deer 300 yards at night thru the Southn Carolina swamp was far more than any physical activity a ph or me has done in Africa (I have left the trackers out).

Some of the mountain hunts are physically challenging but they are ways around - helicopter in or snow machines to get you there (Marco polo in Asia).

Fishing can be tough but If one can get a 70 ft Viking it is not as tough as getting pounded in 28ft crappy center console.

We have used technology to package most outdoor activities to be doable and relatively safe.

I spoke to Johnny Humes son at DSC - I have known him from a dinner with Larry Shores and Ivan Carter in Florida. He was selling free dive spear fishing trips. Not an easy sell when one needs to be in super awesome shape, know how to dive/swim, be young (under 35), not be afraid of sharks etc. it's near impossible to prepare for one of these trips either. I would go to one of these locations to fish but spear fishing is not something i even think about - its so remote.

Only activity I know where physical activity combined with tourist/vacations regularly kills people is mountaineering - specifically people trying to climb Everest.

I for one plan to enjoy my vacations and come out alive and hopefully have some wifi along the way. I don't care how good the hunting is or how physically challenging it is - I rather hunt Zim in July than oct. Weather is nicer and it is a much better and enjoyable vacation.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Capt. Purvis
posted Hide Post
Whoever said that African hunting was some kind of cake walk has never seen a Cape Buffalo charge. Nor do they understand what it is like walking in the hot sun and you are dry mouth. Your mouth is dry not because you are thirsty but because you are worried about what will happen if you make a bad shot. I do not know which would be worst. The buffalo getting you or loosing the respect of the skinners, trackers and PH's.

Captain Clark Purvis
www.roanokeriverwaterfowl.com/

Posts: 1141 | Location: Eastern NC Outer Banks | Registered: 21 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
quote:

I have had a "couple" difficult hunts or hunts for species in Africa but they have been few and far between.

Right off the top, Sitatunga in Bangweulu was hard...very hard. Being submerged for 9 days, freezing your ass off at night and sweating your balls off all day sucked. We packed a fly camp deep into the swamp and camped on palm islands.

The Bakos in CAR were hard. Hot and thick, hard to walk through. Funny, the trackers slid through them like shit through a Goose.

Hartman Zebra in the Khomas Hockland of Namibia can require some fitness.

Cheers
Jim

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7621 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
The only hard part of an African hunt on me is the flight (unless I upgrade) and the time zone change.

Go to Alaska and walk 5-10 miles a day in hip boots and deal with the wind, rain, and cold; or mountain hunt on foot if you want to do something hard.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3080 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeBurke:
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:

I can assure you there are stories told about me around campfires in Africa some good, some bad, and some downright funny. After about the third safari I learned not to take myself too seriously. That is not to say I do not take the hunting serious, I just learned to enjoy myself more.

quote:

Steve,

I respect you for the amount of experience you have in Africa, but it just seems as though you have become jaded. I will not argue that most hunts are not physically demanding and few if any require the same level of fitness as a sheep hunt or a 1000 mile bike ride. But hunting in Africa for me has been way more than walking around on flat ground and just shooting the one the PH points out. I will not write a long list of why, as there is no need to out Africa anybody, I will just say after nine safaris my experience is different than what you described.

Mike,

Not jaded but just realistic comments from a long trail of experience.

Heck, just look at the culmination of commentary from this demographic.(not everyone)

We hunt where there is cellular phone service or wifi, we want to go kill a bunch of stuff and not bring home the trophy in an effort to save the Taxidermy monies to go back sooner.

There will always be outliers to everything, you being one. You crave something more, to test yourself beyond the ordinary. Your self guided Cameroon hunt...no thanks, I don't really desire that either.

If you render my comments down they are all, at their core, accurate. People may not like them, but that's what makes a conversation, a conversation. Preaching to the choir is nothing more than lip service.

Take care, Steve

Formerly "Nganga"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Capt. Purvis:
Whoever said that African hunting was some kind of cake walk has never seen a Cape Buffalo charge. Nor do they understand what it is like walking in the hot sun and you are dry mouth. Your mouth is dry not because you are thirsty but because you are worried about what will happen if you make a bad shot. I do not know which would be worst. The buffalo getting you or loosing the respect of the skinners, trackers and PH's.

Captain,

A buffalo charge, while interesting and certainly dangerous, isn't "difficult."

I live in Arizona and deal with the heat daily. You become somewhat accustom to it. If you take care of your body while partaking in these activities when hot, goes a long way towards changing it from just surviving the day, to enjoying the day. You must not allow the hunting team to dictate the pace. YOU need to set the pace.

For someone who lives in cooler climes and goes to hunt in the valley in November, well, its just going to be really uncomfortable.

The longest hot stalking I've done was 5 day (or 6?) LDE with Mike Fell. Get on the tracks of the same herd daily and follow them until dark. Made contact and kill, midday day 5 or 6. Very memorable.

Formerly "Nganga"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Muletrain:

This is a very recent photo. I am a 63 year old triathlete. That's an Ironman tat on my calf.

Jack Lalane

Hahahaha!

Muletrain, very impressive, I for one know and understand the discipline and principles required to even get to the start of an Ironman. I cant run well and not a strong swimmer. I stick to the bike.

Your comments ring true!

Steve

Formerly "Nganga"

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Muletrain:

Jack Lalane

Hahahaha!

Muletrain, very impressive, I for one know and understand the discipline and principles required to even get to the start of an Ironman. I cant run well and not a strong swimmer. I stick to the bike.

Your comments ring true!

Steve

Any day you wake looking down at the grass instead of up is a good day. Good on you Muletrain. Joyce and I are also 63 and enjoy the challenge of Crossfit as our fitness regimen. It's rewarding doing the same workout as 20 and 30 year olds (intensity and speed adjusted) and having them tell you they want to be like you when they grow up. Doing Crossfit enables us to still do mountain hunts. It's about embracing the suck as you well know as a triathlete.

I'm also positive that being in Crossfit shape had a lot to do with Joyce kicking cancer's ass.

Jim

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7621 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anyone who is interested in getting in shape for their next hunt I have three new Ranger Stations and two bush camps being built and a little over 95K of patrol road to cut and clear. It was a comfortable 101 in Kamanjab Namibia yesterday.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote