New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hunters physical shape
 Login/Join

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Funny how many of us are well past middle age at 60 or over.

Mentally, we can adjust ourselves, but sadly physically one can only do so much.

I have stopped growing mentally when I got to 13.

But, as a friend likes to say, "the mind is willing, but the body is not"

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68597 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am glad African hunting accommodates hunters later into life and with physical limitations. Is it packaged - yes. But so is sitting in a blind over a feeder in Texas.

Can you make it harder - just impose the Alaska moose hunting rules for out of state hunters on hunters hunting buffalo and I want to see how many sign up to carry a quartered buffalo back to camp.

I need to exercise more and lose a little weight but I plan to eat drink and enjoy life in moderation and not adopt some endurance athlete lifestyle - it messes with my beer drinking.

I still think anyone over 35 getting in a climbing tree stand is asking for trouble.

There is way too much randomness is life. First guy I worked for on Wall Street got paranoid about cancer and adopted a strict macrobiotic diet. He started this diet in the mid-80s.

http://www.cancerresearchuk.or...herapies/macrobiotic

He had no cancer in his family. He died of an incredibly rare cancer that was terribly painful.

After that I plan to live life in moderation but not any extremes.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Muletrain
posted Hide Post
“No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable.”

― Socrates

Muletrain age 63
5'- 10"
175 pounds
waist size 32

Elephant Hunter,
Double Rifle Shooter Society,
NRA Lifetime Member,
Ten Safaris, in RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe

Posts: 955 | Location: Houston, Texas, USA | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Muletrain:
“No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable.”

― Socrates

Muletrain age 63
5'- 10"
175 pounds
waist size 32

That's awesome!!

For me, and I'd bet you as well, I find new places of what my body is capable of. To find those places of tolerable pain, you must first drive your body past its messages telling you to stop.

Once the mind takes over and you push through that pain cave, you emerge into new territory.

That's what drives me to continue.

"The pain will only last a little while, but quiting hurts forever."

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3523 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:

I still think anyone over 35 getting in a climbing tree stand is asking for trouble.

Why do you say that? I am willing to bet climbing tree stands are at least as safe as fixed tree stands or elevated blinds. And 35? That is a pretty young age IMO.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Ahrenberg:
quote:

― Socrates

Muletrain age 63
5'- 10"
175 pounds
waist size 32

That's awesome!!

For me, and I'd bet you as well, I find new places of what my body is capable of. To find those places of tolerable pain, you must first drive your body past its messages telling you to stop.

Once the mind takes over and you push through that pain cave, you emerge into new territory.

That's what drives me to continue.

"The pain will only last a little while, but quiting hurts forever."

Steve:

This reminds me of all the guys who, upon learning I run a lot, say "I don't like to run."

Gee, do you think I do? A good workout is not comfortable. It is much more comfortable to sit on the couch and drink beer.

BTW, the run this am was wonderful: 71 deg at 5:30 am.

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
My goal was to be in better shape at 50 than I was at 40. Since I smoked in my 40's it was not that hard. I quit smoking, have eaten much healthier, and exercise (not often enough lately)

At 54 I am 6-3, 222 pounds, and a comfortable 36" waist and have never been what one would term a good athlete.

I will never be a 195 pound guy. At around 215 I start looking a little sickly. Hell, my size 15 feet and giant head probably weigh 75 pounds. Smiler

It amazes me the amount of medicine people take for problems that can be cured with weight loss and exercise. I was suffering from acid reflux a couple of years ago. The doctor prescribed medicine. I adjusted my diet, exercised, lost a little weight, ate dinner earlier and quit taking the medicine. No more problems.

My cholesterol numbers were off so he prescribed medicine for that. I took one pill, further adjusted my diet, lost a little more weight. In six months my numbers were not great but acceptable. I hate taking medicine.

My next goal is to be in better shape at 60 than 50. I suffer from a lot of joint/muscle problems. Lack of flexibility has been the root cause. I am stretching more and seeing a "sports" chiropractor, who has helped me immensely, including giving my relief from a long standing plantar fasciitis problem.

This is probably more than most want to know about me, but coming from a non-athlete there is a lot we can do to stay mobile and healthy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What are you worried about...you make Adonis look like a weakling :-)

PS: On the head....I was thinking more like 80-85 lbs.

Posts: 20156 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeBurke:
My goal was to be in better shape at 50 than I was at 40. Since I smoked in my 40's it was not that hard. I quit smoking, have eaten much healthier, and exercise (not often enough lately)

At 54 I am 6-3, 222 pounds, and a comfortable 36" waist and have never been what one would term a good athlete.

I am much like you at age 56......
6'2"
235lbs
Two new knees this summer thanks to years of professional baseball. I weighed in the clubhouse every day during my career, and left a very in shape 222lbs. I know I will likely never weigh that again. My fitness and workout routine is what I'd call "light" nowadays, but I'm fine with that. My fitness/competition level, etc is not my identity, it's just a very small part of who I am. I have much more important (to me anyway) things that have taken priority in my daily life. After my knee replacements, and 20mg of blood pressure meds daily, my goal is to live a very ordinary existence, as pain free as possible.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Mike

Why do you say that Mike? I am 61, pushing 62 and I do it all the time. The key is doing it safely and not doing stupid things. I sat in one, elevated about 25 feet this morning for 5 hours.

I have only had one scare and that came when using someone else's stand. I will never do that again.

Posts: 12094 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
quote:

Mike

Why do you say that Mike? I am 61, pushing 62 and I do it all the time. The key is doing it safely and not doing stupid things. I sat in one, elevated about 25 feet this morning for 5 hours.

I have only had one scare and that came when using someone else's stand. I will never do that again.

Just google - tree stand accident statistics.

There is no single aggregate source for the data. But independent state level stuff shows it to be a real problem.

http://triblive.com/sports/out...s-new-primary-threat

Far more risky in the aggregate than the 1-2 phs a year killed in dg business.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
Geez this thread is beginning to read like a weigh in meeting of Weight Watchers rotflmo

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13386 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Muletrain
posted Hide Post
Being fat has almost nothing to do with being physically unable to exercise.

It has everything to do with the huge quantities of bad food you put in your mouth.

Have you ever seen a fat tracker or any other Safari crew member besides the PH? Do you think they stay fit by going to LA Fitness and working on the cable machines?

You can achieve and maintain a health body composition by maintaining healthy eating habits.

Elephant Hunter,
NRA Lifetime Member,

Posts: 955 | Location: Houston, Texas, USA | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Mike

There is no single aggregate source for the data. But independent state level stuff shows it to be a real problem.

Mike

I read the link but don't see any reference to age 35...did I miss something?

One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
quote:

It has everything to do with the huge quantities of bad food you put in your mouth.

Have you ever seen a fat tracker or any other Safari crew member besides the PH? Do you think they stay fit by going to LA Fitness and working on the cable machines?

You can achieve and maintain a health body composition by maintaining healthy eating habits.

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:

So if I eat mainly mealie-meal and dried game meat, I will get as skinny as a tracker? Damn, who knew????

one of us
Picture of Muletrain
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
quote:

So if I eat mainly mealie-meal and dried game meat, I will get as skinny as a tracker? Damn, who knew????

In a manner of speaking, yes.
A dinner meal could be a small portion of rice, a small portion of brocolli and a chicken breast.

But if your dinner meal is a medium deep dish pizza with ice cream for desert then you will remain a fat fuck.

Elephant Hunter,
NRA Lifetime Member,

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
Since I am not a fat fuck now, I think I will pass on a spoon of rice, a broccoli floret and a piece of chicken. But hey, if it works for you, go for it.

One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

In a manner of speaking, yes.
A dinner meal could be a small portion of rice, a small portion of brocolli and a chicken breast.

But if your dinner meal is a medium deep dish pizza with ice cream for desert then you will remain a fat fuck.

rotflmo Man, glad I didn't say that. But so true.

I found that before 50, I could eat whatever I wanted and as much as I wanted. After...not so much. Even with tons of furious physical activity from training, riding and racing, I have to watch it.

I'm fighting an injury that has me off the bike right now so I eat like a bird and am maintaining my weight but its not easy.

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3523 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You go for a swim....I'll take the deep dish pizza. Big Grin

Posts: 11636 | Location: Wisconsin  | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Heym 450/400:

Yep. I'll help and bring the beer.......I know.....you don't drink Wink more for me!

Posts: 42337 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JTEX:
quote:
Originally posted by Heym 450/400:

Yep. I'll help and bring the beer.......I know.....you don't drink Wink more for me!

I'll buy...will DSC 2018 work?

Posts: 11636 | Location: Wisconsin  | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
FWIW, I am 6-12 lbs over my ideal body weight, depending on whose chart you use. And at age 69+, I will happily skip the mealie meal and jerky diet( or a spoon of rice, a broccoli floret and a piece of chicken)in favor of something more enjoyable. But by all means, press on with the caloric/pleasure restrictions. Sounds like great fun barf

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Mike

Mike

I read the link but don't see any reference to age 35...did I miss something?

Mine was a subjective statement

"Originally posted by Beretta682E:

I still think anyone over 35 getting in a climbing tree stand is asking for trouble."

"I still think" is about as subjective as one can be.

My subjective statement - a personal opinion is based the links I provided and more than can be found on google search engine.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
Some interesting observations on physical conditioning. When I went on my first two Namibian safaris in 2012 and s 2013, I weighed about 240 lbs and my left knee always hurt. I discovered I had a torn meniscus and had surgery in 2014. At the same time I went on a Nutrisystem diet and lost 44 lbs. After losing all that weight, I required emergency gall bladder surgery in early 2015. I returned to Namibia in 2015 and could get around much better. I went back for my fourth safari in May of this year and was able to walk 3-5 miles a day while tracking eland. I was also able to climb koppies without pain, and bagged a trophy eland after walking several miles and climbing three koppies. I'll be back after eland in 2019 at the age of 72 and plan on hunting in Africa at least until I'm 80.

Jesus saves, but Moses invests

Posts: 1388 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike:

I have to disagree with you my friend. I think the under 35 crowd are the people more likely to take foolish risks and do stupid things.

I use climbers often. I often say no to the tree, the situation or something. I exercise great care.

Posts: 12094 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Muletrain
posted Hide Post
Eat your pizza and ice cream. Then prick your finger for your blood sugar test.
Put on your CPAP mask and fall asleep dreaming of the boners you used to get.
I don't give a damn. It's your life.
But diabetus is no joke. Amputations, blindness and dialysis is no way to live.

Elephant Hunter,
NRA Lifetime Member,

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
You are right. Diabetes and sleep apnea are no joke. Otherwise you are full of shit. My blood sugar, cholesterol, liver function tests, and every other blood tests my internist can dream up are normal. Not everyone fits neatly into your pigeonholes necessary to be healthy. I learned long ago in med school that generalizations lead to medical mistakes. Your experience is obviously different.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
You lot are missing the plot!

And this goes to the doctors on here too!

Bloody hell' it took a genius to show us the truth!

We had breakfast, me a single hard boiled egg and two cups of coffee with 2 sugars each.

Walter had the whole shibang!

Sausages, bacon, scrambled eggs and a bowl of oats. Plus a cup of coffee.

Off we went in the truck.

We found the tracks of some buffalo, and started following them.

Walter stayed in the truck.

12 kilometers later, we shot one.

We called the truck by radio and they turned up.

Walter, being the kind person he is, offered all of us a bottle of coke each, which we were very glad to get.

He then offered us some chocolate. Everyone declined the offer. The chocolate comes in a sort of brick with 8 pieces. We normally share this amongst us.

In no time at all, Walter had 4 seperate packs!!

Roy "You are the worst utilizer of calories!"
Walter "Why?"

Roy "Because Saeed had one hard boiled egg, walked 12 kilometers. You had a full breakfast, 4 packs of chocolates and stayed in the truck"

Walter "Both you and Saeed are ignorant of the real facts of why we consumed calories. One needs calories to THINK! Not to walk. Both you and Saeed are incapable of thinking"

I hope you all learnt something now clap

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68597 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Muletrain
posted Hide Post
Fat And Fit Is A Myth

Elephant Hunter,
NRA Lifetime Member,

one of us
Picture of Muletrain
posted Hide Post
quote:
You are right. Diabetes and sleep apnea are no joke. Otherwise you are full of shit. My blood sugar, cholesterol, liver function tests, and every other blood tests my internist can dream up are normal. Not everyone fits neatly into your pigeonholes necessary to be healthy. I learned long ago in med school that generalizations lead to medical mistakes. Your experience is obviously different.

"long a go in med school"

Was that back when nine out of ten doctors recommended we smoke Lucky Strikes?

Sports medicine is driving the current research in nutrition. Mainly because sports generates shit loads of funding. The sports medicine labs are truely wonderful and the research findings are amazing. With the invention of the World Wide Web we all get to benefit from new research. You should keep up.

Your risk of dying of just about anything is higher when you are fat.

Elephant Hunter,
NRA Lifetime Member,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
And exercise is not a substitute for a crappy diet as those with fitness trackers are learning. Just because you burn calories at the gym or pool or running or biking does not mean that you can eat sugar, quick carbs and processed foods - especially over the age of 45.

The biggest problem with the America diet is we have very easy access to too much crappy food. Amazing what happens when you are in the bush for 3 to 4 weeks eating only game meat and fresh vegetables (when you can find them). You can get healthy quickly if you avoid 90% of the foods we routinely eat in the US.

And if no one has told you yet, sugar is poison in your body and cancer cells love it.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Muletrain
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Opus1:
And exercise is not a substitute for a crappy diet as those with fitness trackers are learning. Just because you burn calories at the gym or pool or running or biking does not mean that you can eat sugar, quick carbs and processed foods - especially over the age of 45.

The biggest problem with the America diet is we have very easy access to too much crappy food. Amazing what happens when you are in the bush for 3 to 4 weeks eating only game meat and fresh vegetables (when you can find them). You can get healthy quickly if you avoid 90% of the foods we routinely eat in the US.

And if no one has told you yet, sugar is poison in your body and cancer cells love it.

Yes indeed.
A nutrition app for you phone is ALWAYS a gigantic surprise to most people. How many people tell you that they only consume x number of calories a day and can't lose weight? They always conclude some nonsense about a slow metabolism or thyroid problem. Then the nutrition tracker tells them that they are really consuming about twice the calories that they think they are.

It takes nearly a total change in the way you eat.

Elephant Hunter,
NRA Lifetime Member,

One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
Years ago I cut out soft drinks with sugar, then I cut out all soft drinks. I mostly drink water and unsweetened tea as I feel the artificial sweeteners are worse than sugar.

Five years ago I was drinking close to two gallons of milk a week. Now I drink maybe a quart.

I have made other adjustments to my diet, like no snacks before bed, and will continue to make more as I grow older.

Without those changes I would be a "fat fuck" without a doubt. The day I stood on the scale and read 239 I knew it was time to change.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some of these replies have me laughing..... Not so much as if one "exercises" or not, but those who get all bent of shape when the masses do not agree with them.

Who cares... I am not in great shape nor am I am in bad shape. I am 46 and feel fortunate to still be able to mostly do what I want.

I am sure 99% of the people on here are aware of there health and do not need honorary dietitians and exercise scientists teaching them about the correct paths to good health.

To each their own. We all have expiration dates!

Posts: 2661 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think it is less about teaching and more about recognizing the choices we make dictate the lives we lead. Some people delude themselves while others don't but freely admit they get more joy from eating than being able to hike forever.

The thought that what one eats or drinks is nobody's business would be true if society didn't pay for these choices in the end. I am so sick and tired of stopping for gas and seeing some fat f*&k come out of the QT with a 48 ounce big gulp (why not tax obesity instead of sugar?). Or seeing huge fat chicks lined up for a Cinnabun at the airport. At the end of the day, I am paying for that. Why? Because medical insurance policy premiums only consider age, not weight, not physical fitness, blood pressure level, cholesterol, etc.

But I suppose you could say the same thing about other choices, such as having kids out of wedlock, dropping out of high school, embarking on a life of crime, taking drugs, etc.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Everything on AR eventually turns into a dick measuring contest. Best gun, best caliber, best bullet, your lion was only 5.2 years old therefore unethical, and I can tell from the photo because I'm the worlds foremost expert on photographically aging lions, just ask me. Which Buffalo bull to shoot, best hiking boots, and now the fittest old man contest/ my running and diet plan are far superior to your workout and diet plan.

Just FYI,
I am a superior athlete, rifleman, hiker, conisouer of all things sporting, my 4WD truck is better than yours, my hiking boots are the best, if I ever do shoot a lion it'll be more mature and ethical than yours. Chicks dig me and guys strive to be like me. Fighter pilots and astronaughts weep in agony at my flying skills and I am extremely humble and modest. Please keep this in mind and in the future please understand that I am the winner of any and all dick measuring contests.

Your humble servant

Surestrike.

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by surestrike:
Everything on AR eventually turns into a dick measuring contest. Best gun, best caliber, best bullet, your lion was only 5.2 years old therefore unethical, and I can tell from the photo because I'm the worlds foremost expert on photographically aging lions, just ask me. Which Buffalo bull to shoot, best hiking boots, and now the fittest old man contest/ my running and diet plan are far superior to your workout and diet plan.

Just FYI,
I am a superior athlete, rifleman, hiker, conisouer of all things sporting, my 4WD truck is better than yours, my hiking boots are the best, if I ever do shoot a lion it'll be more mature and ethical than yours. Chicks dig me and guys strive to be like me. Fighter pilots and astronaughts weep in agony at my flying skills and I am extremely humble and modest. Please keep this in mind and in the future please understand that I am the winner of any and all dick measuring contests.

Your humble servant

Surestrike.

Except spelling contests! Big Grin

stir

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12684 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm 72 and in shape. ("Round" is a shape!)
I've had both knees replaced five years ago.

Ten days ago I walked down a non-trophy elephant in the Matesi Safari Area in Zimbabwe. Carried and used my .416 Ruger.

Posts: 388 | Location: Henderson, NV | Registered: 21 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Muletrain
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by surestrike:

Just FYI,

Your humble servant

Surestrike.

LOL! I come here for the entertainment. The educational part of this forum is farther down the list.
Surestrike. If we were having a bourbon and ice drink around a campfire, which will probably never happen but who knows, I would tell you about the two old fuckers who I can never beat when they show up at a race. One of them is just an unbelievably fast swimmer the other is super fast at everything. So no, I am not the winner of every dick measuring contest. But please don't share this with anybody here. It might spoil some of the fun.
Now if we really were measuring dicks I would win every time.

Elephant Hunter,
NRA Lifetime Member,