Find
Notify
Tools

Lying and "truth stretching"
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted
10 or so years ago after my 2nd-3rd safari my wife told me she didn't care what i shot and brought home- AS LONG AS IT WASN'T AN ELEPHANT!"( too much Dumbo/Disney). at the time i figured i would never be able to afford to hunt one anyway so of course i said " no problem dear". fast forward to Jan 2012 @DSC Convention and i bought a non-exportable bull ele hunt at the auction donated by our own Karl Stumpf. when i got home my wife asked( as she always does) what hunt did i buy. being a quick thinking genius, i immediately replied that i was going to Namibia to hunt buffalo. she remarked that i had shot a few buff before but i allowed as how i loved buffalo hunting and had never hunted Namibia. she was satisfied. my plan of course is to take all my trophy pictures with a seperate memory stick and all other pics/video with the camera's built in memory. my question is this: I am the only one who has ever kept their significant other in the dark about what they actually hunt in Africa( or how much it actually cost)??

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13218 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cost yes

Game no

Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times.

Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.

Posts: 697 | Location: Dublin, Georgia | Registered: 19 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can't bring it home so that's not a problem. But she might wonder why you never get your buffalo trophy.

Posts: 966 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 23 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Just hope none of your close friends ever rats you out even by accident.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Weenies!

~Ann

Posts: 19206 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When you get home with elephant pictures you can tell her the story of how you saved the poor starving native village from a deranged killer elephantSmiler

DRSS

Posts: 626 | Location: OK USA | Registered: 07 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know your wife, but I'm guessing she'd get over the ele before she'd get over being deceived. Just assume you'll get busted at some point, and plan accordingly.

Posts: 1981 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
I think failing to tell your wife about an elephant you shot is far more forgivable than the guys who bring their mistress along on the hunt and leave her out of all the photos so the wife doesn't get suspicious.

If for whatever reason your wife does get wind of this elephant you shot, perhaps you will tell her how you didn't want to upset her that you had to shoot an elephant in self-defense that charged you while you were stalking up on buffalo.

Seem's more likely your wife is going to wonder why you had such a great hunt despite the fact you didn't shoot anything.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 376 steyr:
You can't bring it home so that's not a problem. But she might wonder why you never get your buffalo trophy.

i have enough buffalo trophy pics from previous safaris that i can "splice" a few in to take care the picture issue and since my house is jammed full of trophies, i never bring back anything back anyway( saves a ton on taxidermy costs). and if my close friends rat me out- well they aren't really a close friend. its amazing how much money you save to put toward future trips when you skip dip, pack, shipping and taxidermy costs- enough to easily pay for the next trip.

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
the PAC/ charging elephant story has REAL posibilities if worse comes to worse.

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:

i have enough buffalo trophy pics from previous safaris that i can "splice" a few in to take care the picture issue

I agree with Marty, this is a bad idea. BTW, your current plan is not "truth stretching", it is full-on premeditated deceit.

I think that your best bet is to enlighten her regarding elephant hunting and conservation, then tell her the truth about you hunt plans.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6836 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aspen Hill Adventures:
Weenies!

animal
You can use the "Southpark" excuse "It's coming straight for us!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...youtube_gdata_player
Could not find another clip without the commentary but you get the drift.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Marty nailed it.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
jdollar: In my opinion, not a good idea. Fess up and get it over with now. You'll never fully enjoy the hunt knowing that you weren't upfront with the spouse. Just my 2 cents worth, and basing that suggestion, in part, on having been married over 38 years. . . . . . . Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
oh, i'll enjoy the hunt and after 4 previous divorces( although this marriage has lasted 23 years) i think -DENY, DENY, DENY is the safest bet. my wife really doesn't care what i do other than the elephant thing. and i fully admit i am lying like a dog on the front porch.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bow to the voice of experience.

Posts: 1981 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of twoseventy
posted Hide Post
jdollar, I think you should have me do the hunt. I will produce a hunt report giving you credit for being a gentleman by refusing to kill an elephant in the interest of your dear wife and her feelings. I would get an elephant hunt and you would be a hero. A win-win.

...I say that hunters go into Paradise when they die, and live in this world more joyfully than any other men.
-Edward, duke of York

". . . when a man has shot an elephant his life is full." ~John Alfred Jordan

"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand

Cogito ergo venor- KPete

“It is not from the benevolence of the butcher, the brewer, or the baker, that we expect our dinner, but from their regard to their own self-interest. We address ourselves, not to their humanity but to their self-love, and never talk to them of our own necessities but of their advantages.”
― Adam Smith - “Wealth of Nations”

Posts: 985 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 12 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
think i will pass- but i give you an A+ for effort. am i the only one to flat out lie( and i freeely admit it) about what your African hunting really involves/costs??

One of Us
Picture of twoseventy
posted Hide Post
quote:
think i will pass- but i give you an A+ for effort. am i the only one to flat out lie( and i freeely admit it) about what your African hunting really involves/costs??

My wife has been with me on a number of safaris, so she knows what different hunts cost. There have been a few few rifles appear that she wonders where they came from, though.

...I say that hunters go into Paradise when they die, and live in this world more joyfully than any other men.
-Edward, duke of York

". . . when a man has shot an elephant his life is full." ~John Alfred Jordan

"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand

Cogito ergo venor- KPete

“It is not from the benevolence of the butcher, the brewer, or the baker, that we expect our dinner, but from their regard to their own self-interest. We address ourselves, not to their humanity but to their self-love, and never talk to them of our own necessities but of their advantages.”
― Adam Smith - “Wealth of Nations”

Posts: 985 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 12 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
Well sometimes what they don't know does'nt hurt em,a man has got to have some privacy as to what his passions are,you know what is best for you,you put the bread on the table you should have some rights Smiler

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
If my wife was not willing to go on safari with me, every time, we would not be married.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13466 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anne is right, don't be a weenie. My brother in law is like that, buys stuff and doesn't tell his wife(my sister), she goes ballistic when she learns she's been lied to.

Best man up Big Grin

one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aspen Hill Adventures:
Weenies!

LMAO Ann, absolutely beautiful.

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think it's what she doesn't know won't hurt you Cool

Remember to keep the mistress out of the photos, or put them on the usb stick with the ele photos Big Grin

Good hunting, cheers, Chris

DRSS

Posts: 1916 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't tell my wife everything, but I never lie to her.
If she asks, she gets a 100% honest answer.

Posts: 461 | Location: Norway | Registered: 11 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dollar - You're kidding right??

My favorite though, and I have had several clients over the years do this one. They booked a deer hunt for let's say $6,000.00, they ask me to send the "real" contract for $6k to their office, and then request I send a "dummy" contract for $2,500.00 on the same hunt, to their home address, and that's the one he shows the wife! rotflmo

whatever, I don't ask questions - I just sell the hunts!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4884 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Ann, Weenies is the right word. Marty is right. I never lie to my wife about anything. If she doesn't like what I hunt, well that is a a differetmargument, but I will not lie to her. Lies are to hard to keep track of. Just fess up and say you are probably going to have an opportunity to b
Hunt an ele, if she does not like it, well that is too bad.

Posts: 718 | Location: va | Registered: 30 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
Fess up.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had this a few times where a client want to hunt something expensive but knows that the wife will have him caped for a full-mount.
Luckily, the biggest diamond producing mine is not far away.
Hubby takes a day off from hunting to show mommy all the lovely shiny stones. He ends up buying one and then she loves him so much that he can hunt what he wants.
It is called bartering.

Fritz Rabe
Askari Adventures & Fritz Rabe Bow-hunting

Posts: 217 | Location: Musina South Africa | Registered: 08 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Neilson:
Dollar - You're kidding right??

My favorite though, and I have had several clients over the years do this one. They booked a deer hunt for let's say $6,000.00, they ask me to send the "real" contract for $6k to their office, and then request I send a "dummy" contract for $2,500.00 on the same hunt, to their home address, and that's the one he shows the wife! rotflmo

whatever, I don't ask questions - I just sell the hunts!

Aaron,

On that same note, please disregard the invoice I am sending for the whitetail hunt I will be "guiding" for you this fall. jumping

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3507 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Your first mistake was even posting this...

Three people can keep a secret if two of them are dead.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10082 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
I've only been married for 38 years to the same woman so I'm not an expert on this topic but you might want to get used to calling your present wife old number 5 if you think she would deal with the deceit better than the elephant.

Your call!!

I do understand your plight though. My wife also does not like the thought of an Elephant hunt yet she watches TAA with me or Buzz's video and has no problem. She even calls a missed brain shot accurately.

She will not try and restrict my hunting of an Elephant but at present does not want to be along on the hunt.

Good luck with your situation and I hope nothing bad comes of it.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7607 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
jdollar,

Now that we all know that you are a confessed liar, no one on here will ever believe anything you ever say again!!! dancing

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 465H&H:
jdollar,

Now that we all know that you are a confessed liar, no one on here will ever believe anything you ever say again!!! dancing

465H&H

Niether will his better half!

~Ann

Posts: 19206 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of trophyhunter5000
posted Hide Post
quote:
my question is this: I am the only one who has ever kept their significant other in the dark about what they actually hunt in Africa( or how much it actually cost)??

I simply told my wife the truth by telling the the daily rate...

Didn't figure she needed to know about trophy fees... Wink

Posts: 781 | Location: The Mountain State | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
Reading this thread makes me feel pretty lucky.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7607 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tanz2007
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frostbit:
Reading this thread makes me feel pretty lucky.

+1

Posts: 171 | Location: Homer, Alaska | Registered: 14 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds to me that you need to grow a pair. Good God.

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jjbull
posted Hide Post
Just tell her, Jerry.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Give me the simple life; an AK-47, a good guard dog and a nymphomaniac who owns a liquor store.

Posts: 820 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota/Florida's Gulf Coast | Registered: 23 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Braver man than I, you are! I think I would much rather argue over what I hunted than brand myself as a liar. My wife would never trust me again over anything and that would be pretty miserable.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote