Find
Notify
Tools

A lion question
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted
You are on a 21 day lion hunt, on the 10th day you track this guy and your PH says shoot:

a. Is it over 6 years old?
b. Would you shoot it?

You have a few seconds to make a decision, what do you do?

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Absolutely - right under his chin with my Simson 9.3X62!

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11020 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
PH says shoot and that is what you do...period.
Where is this lion from? Nice with lots on top to go with the black.

Kalahari Lion (Bots 07)

Posts: 101 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 03 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JohnHunt
posted Hide Post
check his ID Big Grin

Posts: 1678 | Registered: 16 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Upton O. Good
posted Hide Post
At that range and the PH says "shoot", you're going to say "Naw, I want one bigger/older."? You might not make it...

In my mind, when I finally get the resources to hunt DG, if my PH says "shoot" the only thing I want to hear is "Okay, stop shooting now.".

One of Us
posted Hide Post
good picture and i think most people on a lion hunt probably would shoot fast. I would hesitate only because of the way the question was asked. I would guess he may not be over six because of the question but it is a fair thing to ask because it could happen. If you try and look for reasons not to shoot i can give some.
1. His face looks a little narrow but could just be the picture
2. his face is not all that scared up but he may not like to fight
3. while his mane is really nice he does not have that middle linebacker look

after all that the answer is I would take the chance.
Do you know exactly how old this lion is or a guess?

Posts: 1396 | Registered: 24 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If my PH, who is a cat guy and very experienced said shoot, I shoot. Especially when we are talking seconds to make the call.

After looking at the photo for several minutes, I dunno.

The shoulder width is not very big.

The skull looks narrow.

The mane looks way too "clean" for a wild lion of age. Also, is that a hint of "Mohawk" from the front view, its just too hard to judge.

He just "looks" young to me, at least from this angle, but I am no expert at aging lions. My initial reaction was he looked good, but after a bit of study, I would want a side view of him before committing.

Posts: 10771 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
quote:
You are on a 21 day lion hunt, on the 10th day you track this guy and your PH says shoot:

I personally don't like to shoot lions when it is light out, but, beggars can't be choosers...

one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 505 gibbs:
quote:

I personally don't like to shoot lions when it is light out, but, beggars can't be choosers...

Funny!

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jjbull
posted Hide Post
If I have booked a lion hunt, I am booked with someone as knowledgeable as possible about his area, his lions and lions in general.

As the words are coming out of the PH's mouth, I am taking up the slack on the trigger.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Give me the simple life; an AK-47, a good guard dog and a nymphomaniac who owns a liquor store.

Posts: 820 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota/Florida's Gulf Coast | Registered: 23 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
quote:
As the words are coming out of the PH's mouth, I am taking up the slack on the trigger.

you have slack in your trigger? shame

one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
Bottom line-- I've paid big money to hunt with a professional. I do what he says.

Posts: 5708 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Shoot.

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I would shoot . . . and never post a picture on AR.

Mike

Posts: 21377 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike tu2

My thought is it is the PH's responsiblity to know that it is a "shooter". If he says to shoot--start aiming and squeezing. That's why we have the PH there . . . .

SHOOT quickly!!!!

Skip Nantz

Posts: 539 | Location: SouthEast, KY | Registered: 09 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Shoot.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
we have all heard the advice about don't shoot until the PH gives the OK. WELL, IF HE SAYS SHOOT, HE BETTER PLUG HIS EARS. the buffalo in the background makes me think that this guy is in a game park

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13234 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of T man
posted Hide Post
In a word, BANG!

I didn't go up there to die, I went up there to live.

Posts: 114 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 27 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
I think the PH would only get out "SH" before the shot went off.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You don't need a ph to tell you to shoot a lion like that!! Big Grin

Posts: 80 | Location: botswana | Registered: 13 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Milo Shanghai
posted Hide Post
My wife would want to know where it had its hair done.

Way too pristine a lion for me to ever come across it.

Posts: 680 | Location: London | Registered: 03 September 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
shoot........ if you are sufficiently certain there are no lactating or pregnant females or dependant young around. You did lure him to the bait didin't you? Cool

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3034 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Let him finish ... he might be saying "Shoot ... I left my Lion Aging Guide back in camp!" animal

Posts: 861 | Registered: 17 September 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Bored, are we?

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19333 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Mike I would not even wait for PH to tell me.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:

If we want to be honest with ourselves. I have not seen anything critical posted about a lion on AR that did not need some talking about. I think if you are ashamed to put a trophy on AR...you must be ashamed of it yourself. sofa

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36841 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Huffaker
posted Hide Post
quote:

Good one Mike, tu2

Jerry Huffaker
State, National and World Champion Taxidermist

Posts: 2009 | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
quote:

...you must be ashamed of it yourself.

Yes, and I have many other feelings of inadequacy that I would love to discuss with you since you are doctor (of sorts) due to the fact that I was potty trained too young.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
quote:
shoot........
so are you stating that you know for a fact that lion is greater than 6 yrs old?
if you are sufficiently certain there are no lactating or pregnant females or dependant young around.
Don't you also require an oral and prostate exam?
You did lure him to the bait didin't you?
Umm, actually I think the story was that they tracked this lion, read and retain Michael, read and retain. Cool

stir

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shoot and hope he was not going to say shite its too small!!

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Yes, and I have many other feelings of inadequacy that I would love to discuss with you since you are doctor (of sorts) due to the fact that I was potty trained too young.

Starting to agree with you here.

The lion that started all of this was a 2 yr old. Not good for lion...not good for hunters. I for one am proud of those that stood up and called a spade-a-spade and quit powdering everybodies butt.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36841 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
we have all heard the advice about don't shoot until the PH gives the OK. WELL, IF HE SAYS SHOOT, HE BETTER PLUG HIS EARS. the buffalo in the background makes me think that this guy is in a game park

Spot on about the game park. This lion is known as Goose by the lion research team in Hwange and by all the guides alike. He is 12 years old and still holding his area. Interestingly he is one of the few lions in Hwange that has a territory that at no place goes into the hunting area as he is surrounded on all sides by other territories. He is as feisty now as he ever was and he has always been feisty..

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

The lion that started all of this was a 2 yr old. Not good for lion...not good for hunters. I for one am proud of those that stood up and called a spade-a-spade and quit powdering everybodies butt.

And we are all proud of you too.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zimguide:
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:

Spot on about the game park. This lion is known as Goose by the lion research team in Hwange and by all the guides alike. He is 12 years old and still holding his area. Interestingly he is one of the few lions in Hwange that has a territory that at no place goes into the hunting area as he is surrounded on all sides by other territories. He is as feisty now as he ever was and he has always been feisty..

Eeker

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7610 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Do you have a mouse in your pocket?

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Killin me.....

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I am confident that I speak for hunters everywhere.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
On it's way to the Wildlife Gallery. Full body of course !

Dave Fulson

Posts: 1467 | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I am confident that I speak for hunters everywhere.

I do believe that you believe that. Cool

J. Lane Easter, DVM

one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen, Gentlemen, my office hours on Wednesday do not start until 1pm MST. Make an appointment and we can discuss all of these feelings and angst. Big Grin
Until then... coffee

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote