A lion question
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 505 gibbs:
quote:
shoot........
so are you stating that you know for a fact that lion is greater than 6 yrs old?Yes, I do
if you are sufficiently certain there are no lactating or pregnant females or dependant young around.
Don't you also require an oral and prostate exam?Talking about yourself again?
You did lure him to the bait didin't you?
Umm, actually I think the story was that they tracked this lion, read and retain Michael, read and retain. [COLOR:GREEN]You got to lure them to the bait Bradley. Only 6 yo come to bait [/color] Cool
Cool
stir

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3034 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
so are you stating that you know for a fact that lion is greater than 6 yrs old?

quote:
Originally posted by zimguide:
He is 12 years old and still holding his area. ..

See Brad, I was right...again Wink

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3034 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
quote:
See Brad, I was right...again

You are the man Michael.

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frostbit:
He is 12 years old Eeker

I didn't vote on this lion simply because I don't have enough lion experience to judge the age of a lion. However he looked fine to me, and if the PH had said he's old enough I would have shot him but the safety would already been off! If left to my own judgment I most likely would have shot him as well. However I wouldn’t have told anyone else to shoot or not shoot on my say. As it turned out that lion being a known 12 yr old anyone who shot him would have been justified in doing so!

I say, that is why we hire PHs to make judgments we are not qualified to make, but it is evident here that there are many here who think they know how everyone else is suppose to act! Pontification doesn't necessarily make one right however.

............................................................ old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
I would have shot also. I have been in elephant and buffalo herds and was never scared. Snakes do not bother me (for the most part). Lions in the wild scare the hell out of me.

I do not know if I will ever hunt one. It is the only one of the big four I have not taken.

Now for the rest of the story.

The reason this was posted, is to justify just how difficult it is in the field to see a collar and to know if it has dependent cubs and mating, PH's take so much flack ( Martin Pieters to mention one) on a collared elephant and on a lion that was supposedly "the last lion" of Bumi.

O.K we all shot it and now what?

a. You (and your PH) get abused because you never saw the collar, now you become an unethical hunter.
b. You never knew he was mating, which he was, did you do your "due diligence" on dependent cubs?
c. And yes, he is 12 years old, believe me no narrow face and no Mohican!! So it is pretty hard to determine age, is it not?
d. And he had a name which will be thrown in your face.

one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
I would shoot . . . and never post a picture on AR.

If we want to be honest with ourselves. I have not seen anything critical posted about a lion on AR that did not need some talking about. I think if you are ashamed to put a trophy on AR...you must be ashamed of it yourself. sofa

Roll Eyes

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
quote:
The reason this was posted, is to justify just how difficult it is in the field to see a collar and to know if it has dependent cubs and mating, PH's take so much flack ( Martin Pieters to mention one) on a collared elephant and on a lion that was supposedly "the last lion" of Bumi.

a. You (and your PH) get abused because you never saw the collar, now you become an unethical hunter.
b. You never knew he was mating, which he was, did you do your "due diligence" on dependent cubs?
c. And yes, he is 12 years old, believe me no narrow face and no Mohican!! So it is pretty hard to determine age, is it not?
d. And he had a name which will be thrown in your face.

Great post Mike. tu2

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
we have all heard the advice about don't shoot until the PH gives the OK. WELL, IF HE SAYS SHOOT, HE BETTER PLUG HIS EARS. the buffalo in the background makes me think that this guy is in a game park

Spot on about the game park. This lion is known as Goose by the lion research team in Hwange and by all the guides alike. He is 12 years old and still holding his area. Interestingly he is one of the few lions in Hwange that has a territory that at no place goes into the hunting area as he is surrounded on all sides by other territories. He is as feisty now as he ever was and he has always been feisty..

Would be nice to see photos of this Lion at 4, 6 and 8 as a comparison. 12 years is very old for a wild Lion and he still looks in great shape.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9906 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 505 gibbs:
quote:
See Brad, I was right...again

You are the man Michael.

yuck

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Mike

WONDERFUL post!!! Pause for thought for the self proclaimed Lion Experts!I have just finished a lion hunt in Dande and shot a wonderful Lion. I was asked some of the following questions

Q- Confirm we want to shoot a single male so we know that he is not part of a pride

A- Males have big terroteries and often leave the pride to do their patrols- so no we will never know for sure.

Q-Can you age a lion within a year in the field.
A- No- far from it ( despite been through the best PH system been Zim, and having hunted only dangerous game areas and numerous lions for nearly 20 years. What I can tell you is that often over bait in a safari area it will be shot in very low light so forget about stupid ideas at looking at the colour of its nose etc- I will be able to tell you though that it is a good mature lion and for the Valley worth taking!

Q-Does size of the mane determin its age?
A-To a certain degree however GENETICS and AREA play a far bigger role in determining mane size .

I think that for the self proclaimed lion experts not even living on the African continent that this is their greatest error in this department- they think MANE=AGE. You cannot compare a Wankie lion to a Valley lion for mane size.

As it was on our hunt we shot our lion at 5.55 am in such low light that our camerman did not even film. Not much good trying looking at his nose colour/scars etc etc . We had seen him the previuos evening and on trail cam pics and he had a distict bent from right track which was a lion we had tracked on Rob Jollys hunt and had nick named him Pangolin man as on that tracking session he had killed a pangolin.

As a result of the absured and on going back biting and belittling of lion hunters despite having a wonderful story around his lion and an incredible hunt over all (3 ele phants buff lion)my client says he will never put a hunt post on AR compliments of the "lion expetrs" such a lose to readers of AR!

Mike well done. Cheers Buzz

Posts: 1128 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 22 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of martin pieters
posted Hide Post
Buzz +1 thumb

martinpieterssafaris@gmail.com
www.martinpieterssafaris.com

" hunt as if it's your last one you'll ever be on"

Posts: 639 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike70560:
I would have shot also. I have been in elephant and buffalo herds and was never scared. Snakes do not bother me (for the most part). Lions in the wild scare the hell out of me.

I do not know if I will ever hunt one. It is the only one of the big four I have not taken.

Now for the rest of the story.

a. You (and your PH) get abused because you never saw the collar, now you become an unethical hunter. It would be hard NOT to see the collar in real life hunitng conditions. Not saying it therefore should not be shot because of the collar...
b. You never knew he was mating, which he was, did you do your "due diligence" on dependent cubs? This is why the baiting method remains the preferred method for doing due diligence
c. And yes, he is 12 years old, believe me no narrow face and no Mohican!! So it is pretty hard to determine age, is it not? I don't think any one with enough experience thought he was <6? I could be wrong...
d. And he had a name which will be thrown in your face. Even PHs apply names to particular lions they "know" eg scarface, broken foot, blondie, etc, etc. Names are fun

I do get the point you are making Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Buzz Charlton:

BUzz, below comments are simply for discussion purposes and I do not wish it to be argumentative. Thx
Hi Mike

WONDERFUL post!!! Pause for thought for the self proclaimed Lion Experts!I have just finished a lion hunt in Dande and shot a wonderful Lion. I was asked some of the following questions

Q- Confirm we want to shoot a single male so we know that he is not part of a pride

A- Males have big terroteries and often leave the pride to do their patrols- so no we will never know for sure. Buzz I am speaking in general terms and in no way referring to you or any one else in particular! This is 100% correct, though there are exceptions eg on lions that are known by the PH/outfitter because they have been "followed" (Not in the literal sense) over a period of time. However, during the course of your hunt and setting up and checking your baits, etc, chances are you will have come across its tracks or seen other lion tracks within the general area of your baits. You may have heard roaring or even observed other lions in the vicinity. You have years of experience in your areas and therefore have a good feel for lion distribution and or prides in your area of operation. All this info can help you make a decision, which I realize will rarely be 100% certain. However, this is about doing one's best to eliminate doubt and find the best possible lion to hunt from a conservation and sustainability point of view, is it not? It's about a hunter's integrity. It is very, very rare to come across a lion that has never been seen before or heard off by the trackers, staff, game scout, ph or operator, if an area has been consistently operated on for 5 seasons or more! And at the end of the day, if there is any doubt about a lion, why not let it walk?

A- No- far from it ( despite been through the best PH system been Zim, and having hunted only dangerous game areas and numerous lions for nearly 20 years. What I can tell you is that often over bait in a safari area it will be shot in very low light so forget about stupid ideas at looking at the colour of its nose etc- I will be able to tell you though that it is a good mature lion and for the Valley worth taking! I think that rather than an outright "no" as an answer, a "sometimes" is more realistic. What does a mature lion look like? What does a “worth taking” lion look like? Is ? <5 male lion, part of a pride with cubs “worth taking”? What about a >6 yo male part of a pride with cubs? And what about a 4 yo one? If we agree that the answer is no on at least these 3 examples, then should we not, as ethical, responsible hunters, be determined to do our best to eliminate what doubt we can before pulling the trigger? Of course I realize this is all theoretical and in practice it boils down to one’s integrity. Perhaps that is why stringent laws are necessary? Honestly, if the light is too poor to be able to make a good judgment on the age of a lion even without seeing the color of its nose, then perhaps one should hold out from pulling the trigger until a better opportunity is available. Maybe try to sit again in the morning. That is the responsibility we should all share whether we are hunting a lion or a dik dik. The fear/disappointment/pressure of returning empty handed from any hunt should not be the reason for shooting the wrong animal. That’s just my opinion.

A-To a certain degree however GENETICS and AREA play a far bigger role in determining mane size . Agree. The presence of "new mane growth" can help distinguish whether the lack of mane is "genetic" or "age" related. It's not infallible of course!

I think that for the self proclaimed lion experts not even living on the African continent that this is their greatest error in this department- they think MANE=AGE. You cannot compare a Wankie lion to a Valley lion for mane size. I don’t know about Wankie and the Valley but a similar argument is often used for the Selous. I have given enough evidence to dispel this myth right here on AR! I am the first to state that there ARE exceptions to the rule in the Selous and elsewhere - even in the Serengeti! I am not saying that your example of Wankie and the Valley is therefore wrong. The bottom line is that no person who has adequately educated themselves on the importance of shooting only aged lions should question any lion shot with a poor mane provided it has other obvious signs of being aged.

As it was on our hunt we shot our lion at 5.55 am in such low light that our camerman did not even film. Not much good trying looking at his nose colour/scars etc etc . We had seen him the previuos evening and on trail cam pics and he had a distict bent from right track which was a lion we had tracked on Rob Jollys hunt and had nick named him Pangolin man as on that tracking session he had killed a pangolin. And therefore you had the opportunity to do your due diligence as a responsible hunter. I say this wihtout knowing what lion you are referring to.

As a result of the absured and on going back biting and belittling of lion hunters despite having a wonderful story around his lion and an incredible hunt over all (3 ele phants buff lion)my client says he will never put a hunt post on AR compliments of the "lion expetrs" such a lose to readers of AR!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
BwanaMitch
Discussions rather then arguments are a benefit to all.

Regarding comments about getting to know your lions- our area shares boundaries with both Chewores, Mozambique and Dande south. These combined areas are huge. While we do have a few regulars we do have numerous males that I consider Nomads as they come in from who knows where and then disappear again.

An example on Robs hunt we had I think at least ( Rob can correct me)about 12 different male lions that we had identified on that hunt . On this hunt we had 6- where have the other 6 gone? On Robs hunt we had 3 males together which we nick named the "three Musketeers" we tracked them a few times and eventually they crossed into Moz never to be seen again. We were also after a big lion we nick named "Stompie" he was shot in Chewore South later in the year a considerable distance from where we had him on bait.

The lion we shot "Pangolin man" was shot by GPS 30kms in a straight line from where we tracked him with Rob! Norman Monks who is considered top dog in lion research and had done his thesis on lion had a collared lion in Mana that swam the Zambezi river and ended up in the Kafue Nat Park which is a massive distance over what would not be considered only game areas. The point I am making is these cats move massive distances so I have to disagree with you with the fact that it is “very rare “ too come across a lion that is unknown in the area.

Bear in mind that the Dande Safari area only has 2 lions on quota a year, despite the fact that I hunted both this year, often they are hunted by different PHs meaning that you will have 21 days on the ground hunting lions at the tops to make an educated discion on who is shootable and who is not, combine this with the fact that these lions move through several areas- it’s a hard call.

If I am tracking a lion/ sitting in a blind and there is what we all call a shooter but I turn around and say “sorry you cant shoot as I am not 100% sure exactly where he is from and who his family is!” not only will I have a highly unhappy client who will never return and will bad mouth me but I probably would have a law suit against me.

With regards to the light not been good enough to check out his nose colour/scars etc and your suggestion to come back in the morning- I would have the same pissed off client as above as the light was plenty good enough looking through Binos/scope to see that he was a big bodied lion with a very good mane for the valley- the risk of saying “ lets sit again in the morning and try have a better look at him” and then fail to shoot a lion when your client is paying 2k plus a day- I think we have to be realistic about that!

No decent client who calls himself a hunter will ever be cross with coming back empty handed if he and the PH have hunted hard and did not connect, however my bet is that 99% of hunters would be seriously bleak if they were denied an opportunity on their dream line who is broad side in the sand river showing off a nice mane and big body only to be told by the PH “its not light enough for me to see his scars/ nose/ whiskers etc etc!!!

While every PH and client wants to and tries to shoot an old lion the reality of the situation is that there is a quota that has been set by those more knowledgeable then ourselves that is deemed sustainable. So if we end up shooting a younger lion rather then an older lion we have left a dominant lion which is probably better all round or worse case scenario we are left with the same number of lion after the shot goes off. To reiterate every PH I know in Zim anyway would do his utmost to shoot as good and as old a lion as he can!

BwanaMitch if you are in the 1% of clients please tell me where to market as I have had 20 odd years of clients in the 99% bracket! Once again apologies to anyone who seriously disagrees with my way of thinking as it would never be my intention to annoy anyone however I do feel that the above is the ‘reality of the situation” when in the bush and I can honestly say that the vast majority of Zim PH with much experience would agree with it. Cheers for now Buzz

Posts: 1128 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 22 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
Interesting perspective from a PH we all know spends his life on the ground.... I for one would like to see more input on AR from the likes of B. Charlton and other as experienced, in-field, PHs. Theory and practice are far removed eh?

Cheers, Dave

Posts: 2270 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 28 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grafton
posted Hide Post
I would shoot but probably wait a bit and see if he moved to the side some so you do not hit the elephant/buffalo or whatever the hell it is behind him in the first photo. Big Grin

SAFARI ARTS TAXIDERMY
http://www.safariarts.net/

Posts: 1378 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of matt u
posted Hide Post
Buzz... tu2

Posts: 1662 | Location: Winston,Georgia | Registered: 07 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Buzz and all,

First off if you are addressing me as a self-proclaimed lion expert...you are dead-wrong there.

Repeatedly...I have said that I am NOT an expert on lion nor could I ever hope to be. I do know some who are...both hunters and non-hunters.

I will say that Aaron Neilson (whom is away right now and I am NOT speaking for him) qualifies as an expert on lion hunting and I will say that Bwanamich qualifies as a true expert on all aspects of the lion. I know many scientist whom qualifiy as experts on the biology of the lion.

Next...let me say I am an avid hunter...I started hunting when I was 5-6 years old with my father and I am now 46 years old. I have lived off of deer meat in my poor years even trapped fur to supplement my income in my college years.

Mike70560 asked me to analyze the the Omay/Bumi lion. I got high res photos to people who have facial recognition software adapted to lion. Turns out the bumi lion and Omay lion were the same lion. The lion looks to be ~5. I repeatedly went to bat for for Mart in taking this lion. I am on record on this forum and others saying the lion was taken legally and ethically in my opinion.

As a veterinarian...I am qualified to analyze and interpret scientific data and apply it. Unlike what David Hulme says...theory and practice are NOT far removed. It is the measure of a good practitioner that takes theory to practice and applies it. I do that every day.

Now in response to the one thing in your post that I am qualified to respond to.

"Genetics and area are the biggest factors in mane growth". Well I can can tell you for 100% sure that nobody knows that as almost zero proper genetic studies have been done on lion. One of the worlds leading anaimal geneticist is a good friend of mine and he (Dr. Jim Derr), I, and fellow country-man Nigel Theisen wrote a proposal back in 2006 to answer this question...unfortunately...it was never funded. But the known data is NOT out there.

So your statement above in your post CANNOT be supported. There is much data that show that mane development does parallel age.

Now...the real threat to lion is habitat loss, human encroachment, and the ban of lion hunting as they are one in the same...no lion hunting...no need for tracts of land where lion can live in the wild, humans will exterminate...as we all know...it is a well told story.

IF...the lion were to get listed as endangered in the US making it illegal for US hunter to spend dollars on the lion (USA accounts for 60% of total dollars)...wild lion will cease to exist outside of parks with in 10 years. Safari hunting will struggle.

Well I can tell you for sure...USF&W will be happy to recommend uplisting. The political climate in the US is right for this to happen. However...the scientists who most of y'all think are antihunting...also see the hand writing on the wall for the wild lion if it is uplisted. They don't want it uplisted.

They DO want to see reform. The lion hunting indusrty needs reform. We need to see plans like the Niassa Plan (see Lion Conservation forum) implemented. And all of the illicit sh!*, like what is going on in Nyakasanga and other places needs to stop as well.

All it will take for hunting/science to combine forces is a little compliance to things that science has shown to be detrimental to the lion population.

Again...I am proud of all that have stood up and said we can NO LONGER embrace those who continuously shoot 2 and 3 year old lions in the name of hunter camaraderie. Make no mistake about it...shooting those young males is NOT good for the lion and NOT good for lion hunting.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36869 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
ledvm, Slow down to a fast sprint old chap....If anyone addressed you as a self proclaimed lion expert, then I certainly missed it.

But let me assure you that as far as hunting is concerned theory and practice are very far removed. I can't speak from a veterinary perspective though...When hunting, it is extremely likely one will experience a situation unlike any he has ever read/heard about, isn't that so? Isn't that a big part of the attraction of hunting? That nothing is set in stone, that every situation is different? It was for me anyhow, when I used to hunt.

I was not digging at anyone, simply interested in Buzz's opinion...

Cheers, Dave

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
I got high res photos to people who have facial recognition software adapted to lion.

Buzz, please put a note in my file. If we ever hunt a male lion together, please make arrangements to have these capabilities available in the blind with us so that we can make an informed and appropriate decision that will not be subject to being second guessed. Better yet, if we could have a panel of experts available by satellite phone who can evaluate the photos real time and give us a thumbs up or thumbs down, that would be ideal. Probably need some nightvision equipment too to ensure good low light photography capability. Thanks.

Mike

Posts: 21392 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of martin pieters
posted Hide Post
Mike

Thanks for posting the photos for me, took a lot of lion photos in Hwange and have talked to the research guys on the ground, I could post several photos that would dumfound the experts on mane development/ body size/ facial scarring.
Buzz, great post my bud, I personally am sick of being attacked by the ' experts' as someone said, there is a vast difference between the office and the field
Mart

martinpieterssafaris@gmail.com
www.martinpieterssafaris.com

" hunt as if it's your last one you'll ever be on"

Posts: 639 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
quote:
I got high res photos to people who have facial recognition software adapted to lion.

Buzz, please put a note in my file. If we ever hunt a male lion together, please make arrangements to have these capabilities available in the blind with us so that we can make an informed and appropriate decision that will not be subject to being second guessed. Better yet, if we could have a panel of experts available by satellite phone who can evaluate the photos real time and give us a thumbs up or thumbs down, that would be ideal. Probably need some nightvision equipment too to ensure good low light photography capability. Thanks.

It's a tool used to answer questions like these and nothing more. And it did answer the question and I was asked to send the photos.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36869 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Hulme:

But let me assure you that as far as hunting is concerned theory and practice are very far removed. I can't speak from a veterinary perspective though...When hunting, it is extremely likely one will experience a situation unlike any he has ever read/heard about, isn't that so?

Respectfully David...I disagree. "It is the measure of a good practitioner whom can successfully apply theory in practice". Hunting is no different than any other profession.

And...my daddy taught me that if I ever slowed down...I might have to dig the toe of his boot out from the cheeks of my ass. Something a lot of the younger generation were never taught!

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
In regards to Mikes original point. Both myself and Aaron have repeatedly said if a collared lion gets legally shot in a hunting area...so be it...it is part of the research. Most scientists say the same...Paula White is on record saying this many times.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Swings and roundabouts. I have been away on and off for a month or so now and return to the same subject albeit a different thread.

Good to see that Lion ageing attracts so much attention and if there is any benefit to all this it is that more and more hunters are sitting up and listening.

As Buzz mentioned in the field ageing can be problematic and now and again mistakes are made but on the whole there are few if any PH's here who willing take an immature Lion.

This maybe the best we can do under the circumstances.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
This was the original picture I PMd to Lane.

Quite a few people looked at this picture and EVERYBODY thought it was two different lions.

The lion on the left is the "Bumi" lion even though the Bumi guys said it came over from the Omay. I guess it should be called the "lion formally known as the Omay lion".

The lion on the right is the lion taken by Martin's client/PH.

Note the scars, dark spot down the center of the head, the white around the eyes. All different.

Lane aasked me if it was OK to send the picture to an expert. Since it was public I said it was OK.

My point is that several people thought the lion killed was different from the Bumi lion and aged it around six years old after viewing pictures.

Even if the PH knew the lion was on Bumi how could somebody expect him to tell the difference if we cannot by the pictures.

BTW I still struggle to believe they are the same lion, not that it matters anyway as it was a good legal ethical hunt.

One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
quote:

And...my daddy taught me that if I ever slowed down...I might have to dig the toe of his boot out from the cheeks of my ass. Something a lot of the younger generation were never taught!

Right about that, though I don't think it was from lack of trying to 'teach' that the 'lessons' weren't learned... Only so many generations of youngsters can take an ass kicking, you see...You must have heard the story about what happens when the young lion is no longer young and the pride male is definitely old... I don't know if I qualify as the younger generation anymore, but speaking for myself if anyone's daddy tries to imbed his toe in my crack I will at least make an effort to imbed his teeth in my knuckles.

This post is meant to be in good humor.....

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Hulme:
quote:

Right about that, though I don't think it was from lack of trying to 'teach' that the 'lessons' weren't learned... Only so many generations of youngsters can take an ass kicking, you see...You must have heard the story about what happens when the young lion is no longer young and the pride male is definitely old... I don't know if I qualify as the younger generation anymore, but speaking for myself if anyone's daddy tries to imbed his toe in my crack I will at least make an effort to imbed his teeth in my knuckles.

This post is meant to be in good humor.....

As my father and I are best of friends...

(David...Roger Whitall's old Chewore camp is probably 2 clicks straight behind us)

And as I intend to be the same to my son...

...RESPECT and how to work hard was the best 2 things my father taught me. And I can assure you...until the last 10 years...it would have been a difficult pride take over at the Easter ranch. Smiler

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
My point is that several people thought the lion killed was different from the Bumi lion and aged it around six years old after viewing pictures.

The age is conjecture for sure but you would have to beleive that the Seals shot someone else other than UBL to not beleive the computer analysis of the face...similar technology.

Every expert I know put the lion at between 4.5 to 5.5. Send me the tooth and I will x-ray it and send it back. It was borderline age but certainly with in the acceptable area. NOT a 2 or 3 as we have seen before.

Whether the lion was the Bumi lion or not...if it was in the hunting area...it was fairgame.

Again...legal and ethical in my book.

I do think it is an age group that we should strive to move away from as we learn.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
If I am tracking a lion/ sitting in a blind and there is what we all call a shooter but I turn around and say “sorry you cant shoot as I am not 100% sure exactly where he is from and who his family is!” not only will I have a highly unhappy client who will never return and will bad mouth me but I probably would have a law suit against me.

I do work in a litigatious atmosphere...but I am interested to know how often a law-suit gets threatened to a PH.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ever dealt with African courts? Friggen joke.

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
BTW I still struggle to believe they are the same lion, not that it matters anyway as it was a good legal ethical hunt.

Mike I would say they are the same Lion. As you say what does it matter?

Some years ago I was accused of shooting 'Blondie' the last alpha male in the Lower Zambezi system. Funny that because I also had 'Ginger' on bait and at the end of the day I just preferred the blonde.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
BwanaMitch
Discussions rather then arguments are a benefit to all.

Regarding comments about getting to know your lions- our area shares boundaries with both Chewores, Mozambique and Dande south. These combined areas are huge. While we do have a few regulars we do have numerous males that I consider Nomads as they come in from who knows where and then disappear again.

An example on Robs hunt we had I think at least ( Rob can correct me)about 12 different male lions that we had identified on that hunt . On this hunt we had 6- where have the other 6 gone? On Robs hunt we had 3 males together which we nick named the "three Musketeers" we tracked them a few times and eventually they crossed into Moz never to be seen again. We were also after a big lion we nick named "Stompie" he was shot in Chewore South later in the year a considerable distance from where we had him on bait. Are you saying that the 6 lions seen on the 2nd hunt were also seen on Rob’s hunt? If so, that is a good average wouldn’t you agree?
The lion we shot "Pangolin man" was shot by GPS 30kms in a straight line from where we tracked him with Rob! Norman Monks who is considered top dog in lion research and had done his thesis on lion had a collared lion in Mana that swam the Zambezi river and ended up in the Kafue Nat Park which is a massive distance over what would not be considered only game areas. The point I am making is these cats move massive distances so I have to disagree with you with the fact that it is “very rare “ too come across a lion that is unknown in the area. Valid point…. Perhaps I should have used the words “not frequent”. At least that is my experience.

Bear in mind that the Dande Safari area only has 2 lions on quota a year, despite the fact that I hunted both this year, often they are hunted by different PHs meaning that you will have 21 days on the ground hunting lions at the tops to make an educated discion on who is shootable and who is not, combine this with the fact that these lions move through several areas- it’s a hard call. Agree it’s a hard call. As to the comment on different PHs, surely it is in an operator’s best interest to work with the same PHs year in and out, who share the same (and respect the) operator’s hunting and conservation philosophy? In so doing you are also ensuring that clients are guided by PHs with a fair knowledge of the hunting area to maximize their chances of success? I can see that allowing any tom, dick or harry Ph to hunt your area can lead to varying degrees of hunting management compliance. Naturally, there are exceptions to every case so I am speaking in broad terms.

If I am tracking a lion/ sitting in a blind and there is what we all call a shooter but I turn around and say “sorry you cant shoot as I am not 100% sure exactly where he is from and who his family is!” not only will I have a highly unhappy client who will never return and will bad mouth me but I probably would have a law suit against me. I disagree with the law suit part so long as you have explained your companies’ policy when it comes to lion hunting prior to accepting the booking. You can even include your policy in your safari contract. Ultimately, the PH has final decision and clients are not to place undue pressure on phs. This should be very clearly stated in your terms and conditions.
With regards to the light not been good enough to check out his nose colour/scars etc and your suggestion to come back in the morning- I would have the same pissed off client as above as the light was plenty good enough looking through Binos/scope to see that he was a big bodied lion with a very good mane for the valley- the risk of saying “ lets sit again in the morning and try have a better look at him” and then fail to shoot a lion when your client is paying 2k plus a day- I think we have to be realistic about that! These are wrong reasons IMHO, to allow a client to take a sub-standard lion knowing what we know today about lion hunting and conservation. If you are NOT sufficiently sure that the lion you are about to shoot is, first of all, an aged lion, then you should not allow the client to shoot. The fear of a pissed off client is undue pressure on many PHs. The client has not paid for the right to do what they want but for the opportunity to hunt on your concessions by following your companies’ policies and regulations.

No decent client who calls himself a hunter will ever be cross with coming back empty handed if he and the PH have hunted hard and did not connect, however my bet is that 99% of hunters would be seriously bleak if they were denied an opportunity on their dream line who is broad side in the sand river showing off a nice mane and big body only to be told by the PH “its not light enough for me to see his scars/ nose/ whiskers etc etc!!! “I cannot accurately determine that the lion is a suitable lion under these conditions”. Hopefully, you have had a chance to discuss your lion hunting policy and what lion you will allow to be taken at the time of negotiations. Full disclosure of expectations is key, at the cost of losing the booking.

While every PH and client wants to and tries to shoot an old lion the reality of the situation is that there is a quota that has been set by those more knowledgeable then ourselves that is deemed sustainable. Maybe true in Zim but certainly NOT true in other places in Africa to include TZ. Besides, so much more has been learned about the correct lion trophy in recent times that Governmental institutions dealing with quota setting are not even aware or unwilling to adapt simply because Gov dpt in Africa are naturally resistant to any change. And even if they wanted to adapt, the process of doing so is often laborious and never ending. So if we end up shooting a younger lion rather then an older lion we have left a dominant lion which is probably better all round Not so as these younger lion are your “replacement stock” needed to naturally replace older males. Over time, a continuous removal of this age group will cause a population decline to a point of no return. That is what recent research has concluded or worse case scenario we are left with the same number of lion after the shot goes off. To reiterate every PH I know in Zim anyway would do his utmost to shoot as good and as old a lion as he can! That I have NO DOUBT and highly respect. The issue is when an old/aged lion is not found so a ph moves to plan B which is “shooting the next best lion” found, regardless if he is 4 or under to avoid ending up with a disappointed client who might not book again. The latter is a change in client mentality which needs to occur in parallel to lion hunting reform. At least this is my opinion.

BwanaMitch if you are in the 1% of clients please tell me where to market as I have had 20 odd years of clients in the 99% bracket! It is not my intention to tell you how to run your business. You have obviously been very successful. I find it encouraging that such a discussion can take place and thank you for sharing your views and experience. All I can say is that there are operators and Phs who do things differently and are far more stringent with the kind of lion allowed to be shot with resulting lower success rates but they are equally successful with their business module. Once again apologies to anyone who seriously disagrees with my way of thinking as it would never be my intention to annoy anyone however I do feel that the above is the ‘reality of the situation” when in the bush and I can honestly say that the vast majority of Zim PH with much experience would agree with it. Cheers for now Buzz

One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
yuck

One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hi Mike

A- Males have big terroteries and often leave the pride to do their patrols- so no we will never know for sure.

A- No- far from it ( despite been through the best PH system been Zim, and having hunted only dangerous game areas and numerous lions for nearly 20 years. What I can tell you is that often over bait in a safari area it will be shot in very low light so forget about stupid ideas at looking at the colour of its nose etc- I will be able to tell you though that it is a good mature lion and for the Valley worth taking!

A-To a certain degree however GENETICS and AREA play a far bigger role in determining mane size .

I think that for the self proclaimed lion experts not even living on the African continent that this is their greatest error in this department- they think MANE=AGE. You cannot compare a Wankie lion to a Valley lion for mane size.

As it was on our hunt we shot our lion at 5.55 am in such low light that our camerman did not even film. Not much good trying looking at his nose colour/scars etc etc . We had seen him the previuos evening and on trail cam pics and he had a distict bent from right track which was a lion we had tracked on Rob Jollys hunt and had nick named him Pangolin man as on that tracking session he had killed a pangolin.
shocker

Buzz, not that you need my support, but I would like to thank you for taking the time to come on here and give a truly EXPERT opinion on a subject that some have been using to beat others about the head and neck. Your last statement above is truly an example of a few people abusing their FREE priveleges and wrecking what is truly a great resource that brings information and entertainment to many. The most amazing part of that to me is that they do not realize how detrimental their behaviour is to the very cause they say they are for. Once again, well done, and I hope to share a camp with you someday. clap

one of us
posted Hide Post
Darn! I would be happy to be hunting in Hwange Park and thump him in a heartbeat!

Probably wouldn't have him in my trophy room wearing the collar though. My South African PH might get that as a tip. Smiler

Ski+3

Posts: 859 | Location: Kalispell, MT | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JohnHunt
posted Hide Post
There is only one way to properly age a lion. It is ball size. Bottom line is the ethical PH and hunter must check a lion for ball size, weight and general conformation. If they are proper then you are free to return to your blind and take your shot. If not then you must do the ethical thing and leave the lion alone to continue growing a proper pair. Note that ball size is also dependend on mane color. With the darker maned lions being somewhat luckier in this regard. Finally the trickiest bit is retreating after the hand check as some lions have adopted an unwilling PH or two into there pride (typically SA PH's). A bit awkward to explain at the next SCI convention.

Posts: 1678 | Registered: 16 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:

While every PH and client wants to and tries to shoot an old lion the reality of the situation is that there is a quota that has been set by those more knowledgeable then ourselves that is deemed sustainable. So if we end up shooting a younger lion rather then an older lion we have left a dominant lion which is probably better all round or worse case scenario we are left with the same number of lion after the shot goes off. To reiterate every PH I know in Zim anyway would do his utmost to shoot as good and as old a lion as he can!

Are the below folks the ones with the knowledge???

quote:
Originally posted by Ganyana:

Parks are broke. They need the loot and if you are going to pay them to kill something, fine, they will give you a permit to do so. It may not be legal, but the parks officers running the park will honour it. However, the export authorities are not going to issue an export permit unless. A) all the money's have been baned in Zimbabwe (and the banking authorities are controlled by those opposed to the illegal hunting) b) they are sure they are not committing an international fraud.

so, QED, export papers for hunts of negotiable legallity are few and far between especially as parks don't have full control over that aspect.
Taken from the illegal hunting in Zim thread.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

one of us
Picture of talentrec
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JohnHunt:
There is only one way to properly age a lion. It is ball size. Bottom line is the ethical PH and hunter must check a lion for ball size, weight and general conformation. If they are proper then you are free to return to your blind and take your shot. If not then you must do the ethical thing and leave the lion alone to continue growing a proper pair. Note that ball size is also dependend on mane color. With the darker maned lions being somewhat luckier in this regard. Finally the trickiest bit is retreating after the hand check as some lions have adopted an unwilling PH or two into there pride (typically SA PH's). A bit awkward to explain at the next SCI convention.

Thanks John. I just spit beer all over my keyboard!

Posts: 809 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
we have all heard the advice about don't shoot until the PH gives the OK. WELL, IF HE SAYS SHOOT, HE BETTER PLUG HIS EARS. the buffalo in the background makes me think that this guy is in a game park

Spot on about the game park. This lion is known as Goose by the lion research team in Hwange and by all the guides alike. He is 12 years old and still holding his area. Interestingly he is one of the few lions in Hwange that has a territory that at no place goes into the hunting area as he is surrounded on all sides by other territories. He is as feisty now as he ever was and he has always been feisty..

elementary my dear Zimguide, elementary!! one must sometime look beyond the obvious to appreciate the details. i dare say we can therefore assume he is over 6 years of age but being a pride male, we should not pop him?? painful decision but one must be politically correct at all times. after all, his shoulders and face are narrow, his mane is too thick and his face is not scarred, so God forbid he may not be 6 yours old. all you arm chair experts out there might want to give this info some thought.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13244 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote