THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Poll: African plains game in the U.S.
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Poll: African plains game in the U.S.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted
First of all, let me start out by making the following request: please do not make this into an argument.

There is a time and a place to argue about high fences and introduced game....but I would appreciate it if everyone would please refrain from doing so in this particular thread. If someone wants to argue about it, feel free to start another thread and I will gladly debate things with you there.

So anyway, back to the point....

How many of you would consider hunting certain species of African plains game here in the United States?....as long as a few criteria were met, such as the following:

1. The property was very large (greater than 10,000 acres) with only a perimeter fence (NO INTERNAL FENCES)

2. Large herds of completely wild, naturally reproducing animals, which have had no human contact of any kind

3. No supplemental feeding of any kind (no feeders, no mineral stations, no agricultural fields, etc...)

4. Appropriate animal densities (such as 1 animal per 10-15 acres)

5. Habitat nearly identical to the animals native home-range (i.e. South Texas brush country, or far west Texas)

6. Hunting methods nearly identical to those used in southern Africa.....such as walking all day on foot, or spot & stalk from a vehicle, or glassing from hilltops

7. Prices comparable to the overall cost of hunting the same animals in Africa (obviously most would be somewhat higher for the trophy itself, but after considering airfare overseas and shipping of trophies back....it would be very close)

The species that would seem appropriate for this type of proposition would be Impala, Gemsbok, Kudu, Wildebeest, Eland, Springbok, Sable, Zebra, etc...

So the question is simple.

Question:
Would you utilize a hunting opportunity here in the U.S. that meets ALL of the criteria above?

Choices:
Yes
No

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3107 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
Wade,
Aoudad and Indian blackbuck are great hunts already.
Bet you would get a more generally positive response in the American Hunting forum than here.

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Other than MAYBE a dama gazelle (and only because I can't go to Mali or Chad or Niger to hunt them) I would never "hunt" African game back home in TX. Its merely a shoot. There is absolutely zero sense of adventure going to TX to whack some African livestock. If I want to hunt African game, I will go to Africa. Nothing can replace going on safari, whether its DG in Zimbabwe or Zambia, or a 1st timer PG hunt in the EC. Shooting high priced livestock cannot even be compared.

My answer is no. Never. Probably not the answer you're hoping for, but that's the way it is to me.

Exotics in TX for me are hill country free range axis, south TX nilgai, and west TX aoudad. The rest are of little interest.

Besides, the prices are astronomical! My buddy back home has impala, grants, and springbok on his place. 4k for one!! I've shot more impala than I can remember, never paying more than 200$. Most for free.

Good luck selling this on AR.

Posts: 2163 | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cable68
posted Hide Post
I'd only be interested in species that can't be hunted in their native range anymore.

On second thought, I might be interested in one to be able to serve the meat at a party sometime, if I couldn't get the meat commercially.

Caleb

Posts: 1010 | Location: Texan in Muskogee, OK now moved to Wichita, KS | Registered: 28 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wade,

The total "Experience" involved in hunting the above mentioned animals is equally as important to me as shooting the animals. That experience cannot be offered in TX regardless of how many condition you place on the hunt. I voted emphatically NO!

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12943 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scottyboy:

Exotics in TX for me are hill country free range axis, south TX nilgai, and west TX aoudad. The rest are of little interest.

This is precisely how I feel. If an animal is struggling in its native habitat I have no problem introducing it here particularly if it can range freely such as the aoudad, axis, and oryx, but I don't like the idea of hunting kudu, zebra, and especially species such as bongo behind a fence here in Texas.

A bongo is such a revered trophy in large part because of the hunt itself. As we've been reminded in recent hunt reports, the physical and mental endurance required to persevere and succeed on a rain forest hunt in Africa make it something that few people will ever accomplish. A "trophy" bongo taken behind a fence over the weekend would not be much of a trophy to me.

Posts: 29 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wade - I voted yes, and for a simple reason. I'm only comparing the hunting of the species you listed, to hunting the same species in S.A. and parts of Namibia for example. Not Zim, Zambia, TZ, or as Sweet River just mentioned, Bongo in Central Africa.

I actually would not be terribly interested in it personally, but for those that are going to SA and hunting these types of species you mention, in a luxury lodge, riding around in a truck, spoting/hunting game, and doing so within a 5,000 - 15,000 acre enclosure for example, I really see NO difference. Certainly the plains game places I've seen/been to in SA, are not wild/remote or "adventurous". The "experience/adventure" amounts to a really long/expensive plane ride, to do pretty much the same thing I've seen done in Texas. Without question the hunting of elk, deer, sheep, etc, right here in my home state of Colorado is much more adventurous and WILD, than most of the plains game hunting operations I've been to in SA/NA.

As seen with the recent thread where the PH from SA was shot/killed, and more and more of these sort of problems grow in SA. I think a TX plains game hunting operation could be a viable opportunity. Good Luck!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4885 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I didn't vote because "it would depend" on more factors than you have posted. I am not intending to rain on your idea in anyway - hell I've even thought about it myself!!

I think your numbers might be a bit off. For example 10,000 acres at 10 acres per animal means 1000 total animals spread over the 8 species you have listed means an average of only 100 animals per species - understanding some might be more, some might be less. I think it would be very difficult to maintain naturally sustaining herds. Need to take into account predation of the newborn/young by coyote etc. just like the jackals, hyena etc do in Africa.

Just a quick Google search turned up breeding gemsbok stock animals for sale at $3000+ each. Then considering it will take from 5-7 or more years to get to similar size trophies as available in Africa......wow.

Another quick Google search for "exotic animal hunting in US" turned up several places in TX with daily rates equal to or higher than Africa and trophy fees that are CRAZY high: springbok
$3000+, zebra $4000+, blue wildebeest $4000 etc.

Here is one example (trophy fees are at the bottom of the page) Example TX Exotics Hunts

When you consider you can still find a 10-day 1x1 PG hunt with "the basic four - springbok, gemsbok, kudu and warthog for around $5000 plus airfare ($1500 early, shoulder or late season)......

The only two advantages would be to a State side hunt would be IF the hunter got to keep the meet, hide, horns and the savings commercial transportation of trophies back to the states.

Again, my only intent is to provide some honest feedback.

Posts: 573 | Location: Somewhere between here and there. | Registered: 28 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Other than MAYBE a dama gazelle (and only because I can't go to Mali or Chad or Niger to hunt them) I would never "hunt" African game back home in TX. Its merely a shoot. There is absolutely zero sense of adventure going to TX to whack some African livestock. If I want to hunt African game, I will go to Africa. Nothing can replace going on safari, whether its DG in Zimbabwe or Zambia, or a 1st timer PG hunt in the EC. Shooting high priced livestock cannot even be compared.

My answer is no. Never. Probably not the answer you're hoping for, but that's the way it is to me.

Besides, the prices are astronomical! My buddy back home has impala, grants, and springbok on his place. 4k for one!! I've shot more impala than I can remember, never paying more than 200$. Most for free.

Good luck selling this on AR.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion. I am not trying to "sell" anything here. Such a place does not even currently exist in the United States (that I know of), and to develop such a property would cost a very minimum of $20-$30 million.....as well as about a decade of time. This is simply a poll to gather information on people's opinions.....nothing more. No need to get excited.

I do, however, find it comical that you say "it's merely a shoot"....(your exact words).

Are you implying these animals would not be wild in nature, and fearful of humans, simply because of the location of the ground they are standing on?

Posts: 3107 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
Wade,

The total "Experience" involved in hunting the above mentioned animals is equally as important to me as shooting the animals. That experience cannot be offered in TX regardless of how many condition you place on the hunt. I voted emphatically NO!

Mark

Mark,

I absolutely agree with you 100%....

This was not meant to sound like it would be a substitute for going to Africa. Not at all....

I just wanted to see what peoples' opinions were regarding the idea as a valid hunting opportunity.

There's no reason someone couldn't hunt a Kudu in Africa one year, and this place the next year. They would be two separate experiences, both unique in their own way.

One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sweet River:
quote:

This is precisely how I feel. If an animal is struggling in its native habitat I have no problem introducing it here particularly if it can range freely such as the aoudad, axis, and oryx, but I don't like the idea of hunting kudu, zebra, and especially species such as bongo behind a fence here in Texas.

A bongo is such a revered trophy in large part because of the hunt itself. As we've been reminded in recent hunt reports, the physical and mental endurance required to persevere and succeed on a rain forest hunt in Africa make it something that few people will ever accomplish. A "trophy" bongo taken behind a fence over the weekend would not be much of a trophy to me.

Nobody said ANYTHING about Bongo.....I think shooting a Bongo in Texas would be a complete joke as well.

One of Us
Picture of Venandi
posted Hide Post
I'd love to go on an African plains game hunt but will probably never have the chance to do it. It's out of my price range and I do not ever want to darken the door of an airliner again in my life.

With that said, I would not be interested AT ALL in shooting exotic African game in Texas. It's not a matter of ethics or even the "high fence" issue. I'm sure that a well-managed ranch can set up to provide a realistic African hunting experience. And, such a 'hunt' can be made just as difficult and challenging as the real thing, if not more so. A good breeding program can produce trophies just as good, or better than those in the wild.

So, what's the problem? Such a 'hunt' would be and entirely contrived experience, like some sort of futuristic video game where the participant gets heads, horns and meat instead of game points. Not my "cup of tea" but if it floats somebody else's boat...

No longer Bigasanelk

Posts: 584 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You are certainly right.. I am entitled to my opinion.. I plainly stated it right there for all to read.. BTW, I have hunted all the species you listed, minus the sable ( which I am hunitng in 2013!). Most are quite simple to hunt. To do it in TX has no value to me. My opinion.

BTW, you say there is no place that you know of that has these species?? I know of a few.. here's one that I KNOW has all the aforementioned species plus alot more. I've been out there. Its a zoo.

http://www.cxsafaris.com/contact.html

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I vote no for one simple reason, the entire concept of hunting for me is the adventure and the very real possibility of getting skunked. Even if an animal is considered "free Range" the very fact that it bears the legal classification of livestock is a deal breaker for me.

How many of the hunters would go home without a shot opportunity? My guess is that probably close to 100% of the people either get their game or at least get a shot. I don't want the odds stacked that much in my favor. I want to hike and work for the shot. I want to sweat and feel the burn in my legs. I want to know that if I get a shot it is honest and not because someone is keeping an artifical population around.

That's just me and that's the very reason I hunt without a guide except where required by law. To date the only time I've used a guide was in Canada and Africa and I would have rather hunted without one in both places, but it simply wasn't feasible. But in the states, I'll fill the tag or fail to do so on my own against native game.

Again. My view. Feel free to disagree.

Posts: 2940 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice. | Registered: 26 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
White Sands, NM has what you have described (only one species.) There's no shortage of interest in hunting oryx there.

Posts: 245 | Location: El Paso, TX | Registered: 19 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
I whacked an oryx in New Mexico, why not TX? I voted yes, but with the undestanding that many variables would have to be considered before I actually plunked down any cash. I've really enjoyed the axis, blackbuck, and fallow deer steaks I've eaten that came from Texas. Lord knows I wouldn't mind another zebra steak! Big Grin That was some good eatin' there.

Posts: 3298 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
I'd say no. But I would ask, if you hunted say a Wildebeest in TX do you get to keep all the meat?

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7613 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stevie:
White Sands, NM has what you have described (only one species.) There's no shortage of interest in hunting oryx there.

I was under the impression that the oryx there are not fenced-in. Maybe I am wrong???

Back to the original question: If there was some magical place where these animals roamed free(BTW, I know I am describing Africa) I would bet that a lot of people would want to hunt them. The problem is that adding a perimeter fence means that the are no longer free ranging. Even if you were to stock a privately owned island with African game, simple fact that you had enclosed them for the the purpose future hunting would be distasteful to most hunters.

Now if the island was public land and the game had been there for 50 years there would be more interest.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6836 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I only have interest in hunting animals in their native, home range.

Waterbuck in Namibia or black wildebeest anywhere except the Eastern Cape, for instance, just doesn't interest me, regardless of whether they're behind a fence or not.

So I voted "NO".

But I could care less what anyone else does.

Posts: 551 | Location: Mostly USA | Registered: 25 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ES,

I think this would be a great idea! I think some folk would enjoy HUNTING this sort of game in a high-fenced area over 25,000+ acres and under the "management' conditions you described.

If it was to include a 'lapa' and the type of accommodations & hosting as most RSA/Namibia type hunt say 5-7 days I think it would be COOL!

Say,... get a South African to run an African PG property and hunt in Tx and provide the SAME TYPE of ATMOSPHERE and IMPECCABLE SERVICE/HOSPITALITY/ATTITUDE at the reasonable costs of a comparative safari....sounds good to me!

However, it still would not diminish my desire to hunt IN Africa again one iota...as that's another experience in itself!

But the desire to HUNT these PG animals in Tx vs SHOOT these animals would be of primary importance for the ones that may be interested by the opportunity!

As mentioned earlier by another poster folks who desired to HUNT these PG animals wouldn't have to deal with the increasing, exorbitant airfares and lonnng flights and the meat would be a HUGE plus if allowed to do so...but don't know if impending laws would allow that!

Good thought IMHO but definitely would cater to the American Big Game hunter more than the hunter who DESIRES an AFRICAN SAFARI in its true sense...

BTW- Doesn't Jeff Rann do something similar to this already in Tx...Is he successfully doing so...Is there a market...that may be something to look at first?

Just my .02
Wink

Good luck!

Posts: 3430 | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
I vote(d) no because -- it's cheaper to fly over and be in Africa, anyhow. Like a third of the money, taking a kudu as an example, air fare included. 7K trophy fee + hunting fees/cowboy costs and tips,...

Now, a nilgai is a whole 'nother proposition.

Posts: 4865 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did a quick search and found a Kudu hunt in TX, Three days hunting for $12,000. Just the first one I found.
http://www.huntingtexastrophie...ckages/greater-kudu/
I can fly to RSA, pay for the hunt, a few more animals and taxidermy and have change back from 12grand.
This price likely is what it would cost to do, if they are really gouging the price they would have no customers.

Mark

Posts: 1239 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BNagel:
I vote(d) no because -- it's cheaper to fly over and be in Africa, anyhow. Like a third of the money...

hehehe...I change my mind then...I'd rather be IN Africa for sure beer

Posts: 3430 | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
I voted yes simply for species like addax and scimitar, Asian species like blackbuck, nilgai, etc that are not available in their native range.

I would not hunt species like kudu, zebra, wildebeest, impala, warthog, ect, etc, etc in Texas.

~Ann

Posts: 19315 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBrown:
quote:
Originally posted by stevie:

I was under the impression that the oryx there are not fenced-in. Maybe I am wrong???

Back to the original question: If there was some magical place where these animals roamed free(BTW, I know I am describing Africa) I would bet that a lot of people would want to hunt them. The problem is that adding a perimeter fence means that the are no longer free ranging. Even if you were to stock a privately owned island with African game, simple fact that you had enclosed them for the the purpose future hunting would be distasteful to most hunters.

Now if the island was public land and the game had been there for 50 years there would be more interest.

You're not wrong. White Sands is not a fenced hunt at all. I guess I should have said that NM oryx hunting is close to what Eland Slayer described.

Posts: 245 | Location: El Paso, TX | Registered: 19 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not sure how I feel about this although a friend of mine did hunt a Texas ranch for Aoudad and Mouflon and said the hunts were pretty tough especially the Aoudad. I know a rancher here in Central Cal that brought in some Aoudads about 15 years back and once they were released they took off and he did not see any of them for about three weeks. Dont know if they were hunted or not. I have done the Corsican ram hunts a couple of times and they are not much of a challenge. The Spanish goats were somewhat more difficult but certainly not as hard to hunt as our blacktail or even wild pigs.

Posts: 205 | Registered: 09 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
....BTW, you say there is no place that you know of that has these species?? I know of a few.. here's one that I KNOW has all the aforementioned species plus alot more. I've been out there. Its a zoo.

I didn't say there weren't places with those species.....that would be pretty dumb seeing as how I'm in the business, and several of my ranches that I represent offer some of those species.

I meant to say that no place, WHICH MEETS ALL OF THE ABOVE CRITERIA, exists (that I know of). There are some very big ranches in Texas that have lots of African game, but most of them do occasionally buy and sell animals.....and ALL of them have some kind of supplemental feeding program (which obviously is a major contributing factor in making an animal habituated to humans).

I respect your opinion.....and I completely understand it. I never said everyone has to agree with me.

One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frostbit:
I'd say no. But I would ask, if you hunted say a Wildebeest in TX do you get to keep all the meat?

Of course you would....

I meant to put that in my initial post, which would be a major benefit to hunting some of those species here in the states.

By the way.....right now I have a chest freezer FULL of Addax, Scimitar Horned Oryx, and American Bison. I haven't bought beef in several years.

One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Clark:
I did a quick search and found a Kudu hunt in TX, Three days hunting for $12,000. Just the first one I found.
http://www.huntingtexastrophie...ckages/greater-kudu/
I can fly to RSA, pay for the hunt, a few more animals and taxidermy and have change back from 12grand.
This price likely is what it would cost to do, if they are really gouging the price they would have no customers.

Mark

Mark,

You're completely ignoring "Criteria #7".....

I am well aware that most African game is horribly expensive here in Texas. The one property I have with Kudu charges $12,500 for a bull under 50" and $15,000 for a bull over 50". It's ridiculous.

The place I described in my initial post is obviously just a figment of my imagination....but prices would not be anywhere NEAR that level.

Basically, this would be the break-down as far as pricing goes (or something very similar)....

Daily Fees:

$300/day per hunter (meals, lodging, guide)
$100/day per non-hunter

Trophy Fees:

Impala - $1,500
Blesbok - $1,500
Springbok - $1,500
Eland - $2,500
Gemsbok - $2,000
Kudu - $5,000
Blue Wildebeest - $2,000
Sable - $6,500
Zebra - $2,000
Waterbuck - $2,000
Nyala - $5,000

So....just for "shits and grins", lets do a little comparison:

7-day RSA hunt:

Airfare = $2,250

7 days @ $300/day (conservatively) = $2,100

1 Kudu - $1,500
1 Eland - $2,000
1 Blue Wildebeest - $1,250
1 Impala - $400

Shipping of trophies back to U.S. = $1,500

GRAND TOTAL OF RSA HUNT = $11,000

7-day Texas hunt:

Airfare = $0

7 days @ $300/day = $2,100

1 Kudu - $5,000
1 Eland - $2,500
1 Blue Wildebeest - $2,000
1 Impala - $1,500

Gas/Travel Expenses = $500 (being generous)

Shipping of trophies back to U.S. = $0

GRAND TOTAL OF TEXAS HUNT = $13,600

So in this particular case.....there would be an overall difference in price of $2,600 for the same bag of animals. But here, you get to keep ALL the meat from what you kill.

Now obviously people who plan on shooting one of everything get MUCH more "bang for their buck" in Africa (i.e.-shooting 10-15 animals)

But for someone who plans on taking 3 or 4 nice animals, there wouldn't be much of a difference at all.

And for what it's worth, while most African animals are very expensive here....certain animals are nearly the same price. Eland, Lechwe, Waterbuck, and Sable are all nearly the same price here (on average) as they are in most parts of Africa.

In fact, I shot a huge old bull Eland here in Texas in 2003 for $1,750 (however the 6 days worth of daily fees added up in the end).

Like I said.....this was not meant to cause a fight. It's just curiosity and information. It's too damn hot to do anything outside right now here in Houston (been at least 100*F every day for about a month).....so thinking up new posts for AR becomes a priority Smiler

One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Late-Bloomer:
BTW- Doesn't Jeff Rann do something similar to this already in Tx...Is he successfully doing so...Is there a market...that may be something to look at first?

Just my .02
Wink

Good luck!

Yes, Jeff Rann does own a ranch here in Texas (777 Ranch).....but believe me, it is absolutely NOTHING like what I have described.

It is one hell of an expensive place with lots of expensive animals....but is not even close to what I'm talking about.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eland Slayer:
quote:
....BTW, you say there is no place that you know of that has these species?? I know of a few.. here's one that I KNOW has all the aforementioned species plus alot more. I've been out there. Its a zoo.

I didn't say there weren't places with those species.....that would be pretty dumb seeing as how I'm in the business, and several of my ranches that I represent offer some of those species.

I meant to say that no place, WHICH MEETS ALL OF THE ABOVE CRITERIA, exists (that I know of). .

Seeing how you're intent on splitting hairs with me, I'll play..

Criteria 1 states that the animals would be in AT least a 10K pen.

Criteria 2 states that the "herds of animals will be completely wild". How in the world can they be wild if they are within the interior the ranch? IT IS HIGH FENCED! Quite the conundrum indeed.

You also state that within criteria 2 that the animals "have not had no human contact of any kind"... Then further in this dissussion you say this...

"and ALL of them have some kind of supplemental feeding program (which obviously is a major contributing factor in making an animal habituated to humans)"

You can't have your cake and eat it too...

Argue with me all you want.. I'll glady play along. But don't try to mask the fact that they (these African game species) are livestock in a pen on TX soil.. TPWD plainly states so.

BTW, "being in the business" (as you said) and all, and knowing the hunting methods of the HUGE expanse and vastly varying terrain of southern Africa (Zim, RSA, Botwana, Namibia, ie. a huge diversity in terrain and hunting methods) tell us again how long you've spent over there gaining all this African knowledge???

...like wrestling with pigs, as they say..

Why is it that seemingly every post you make on here devuldge into a pissing match of sorts? Could it be that your "hunts" are like gas on a fire on this site most of the time? Penned eland, bison, oryx, addax, whitetail. They go over like the preverbial turd in the punch bowl.

Hypothetically selling them is the same as flat out doing so..

Maybe a dama shoot ain't my cup 'o tea after all. Smiler Prolly give me the same fuzzy feeling as those scimitar oryx I "hunted". Not much to it. "There they are..shoot one".

one of us
Picture of RaySendero
posted Hide Post
My first thought was to vote NO - The idea of saying that African trophy was shot in TX just don't sit right with me!!!

BUT changed my mind and voted YES when considering that you get to keep the hides and the meat.

Now what is the chance you could add buff to the menu? That would add a element of danger and some adrenaline just stepping onto the ranch.

________
Ray

Posts: 1786 | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Criteria 1 states that the animals would be in AT least a 10K pen.

Criteria 2 states that the "herds of animals will be completely wild". How in the world can they be wild if they are within the interior the ranch? IT IS HIGH FENCED! Quite the conundrum indeed.

You also state that within criteria 2 that the animals "have not had no human contact of any kind"... Then further in this dissussion you say this...

"and ALL of them have some kind of supplemental feeding program (which obviously is a major contributing factor in making an animal habituated to humans)"

You can't have your cake and eat it too...

Regarding your comment about Criteria #1.....that may be your opinion, but 10,000 acres is hardly a pen.

Regarding your comment about Criteria #2.....YOU DID NOT READ CORRECTLY. I stated that all of the ranches that CURRENTLY have these species in Texas engage in some form of supplemental feeding.....NOT THE PROPERTY BEING DISCUSSED IN THIS HYPOTHETICAL SCENARIO.

I'm more than willing to debate things, but not with someone who insists on constantly misrepresenting my previous statements.

I know that fenced hunting is not for everyone.....that has NOTHING to do with this thread. A 10,000 acre fenced area in West Texas is absolutely no different than a 10,000 acre fenced area in South Africa.....it doesn't matter how you look at it.....it is in no way, shape, or form ANY different. So why bitch about it on my thread??

I'm not trying to convince anyone to hunt a fenced area if they don't want to. I'm simply comparing the same types of hunts in RSA to a possible hunt scenario on this side of the pond.

PLEASE people.....I beg you.....if you don't approve of fenced hunting, that is fine and I respect your opinion.....but please do not complain about it on this particular thread. Somebody start another thread and I'll be glad to chime in later.

One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
My first thought was NO.

However, as a 70 or 80 year old man who wants to hunt / shoot but cannot tolerate the flight to Africa anymore, I might be a candidate to shoot African game on a Texas game ranch.

I would likely shoot Addax, Oryx and Dama on the right ranch with the right guide, but it's not a priority or something that I'm looking to make happen anytime soon. But, maybe someday.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I read just fine. I quoted your exact words.

One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
I read just fine. I quoted your exact words.

Yes you did.....from two completely separate posts about two completely separate subjects.

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
We have a safari in North America far more challenging and rewarding than Africa - Alaska and the NWT.

I've been to RSA three times and Alaska once. I got skunked in Alaska, but want to go back. Hell, I want to move there when I retire so I can hunt as a resident.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3072 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
I voted No. I really have no problem with high fence operations as long as they fit within certain criteria. Those criteria are my personal beliefs so I won't list them here. Others will have different criteria for acceptance, ranging from no restrictions at all to no acceptance at all.

I've thought about this issue before and I'm not sure I can accurately articulate why I vote NO as I've hunted PG in SA numerous times. I will be going again with my youngest son this December. Honestly though, I'm bored with the ranch hunting in SA. My son and I just got back from Zim where he shot my bait animals for leopard. I have a feeling he will be bored as well after the Zim experience but I want him to have the chance to take some of the SA species that his older brother has. Trying to keep it equal for the two kids.

Getting back to my NO vote, I have no ethical problems with anyone else choosing to vote YES. To each his own. I agree with Aaron Neilson's post concerning the similarity of this type of operation with the existing conditions in SA. However, there is still at least some sense of "Adventure" for me to actually be in Africa instead of Texas.

I don't think your price structure is realistic but if you can make it happen I think there will be some amount of market. I've been a booking agent in the past and have definitely run into hunters desiring to hunt African game but under no circumstances are they adventurous enough to leave their comfort zone and get on a plane to the "Dark Continent". Those folks would probably be your target market, but something makes me think those folks will not be able to pay the prices necessary to sustain such an enterprise.

Good luck to you however.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I definetly would, but the price would have to be WAY CHEAPER than going to Africa or why bother.
I would consider it something neat to do until I could afford my next trip to Africa.
Just to see a Zebra through my scope would make it worthwhile.

BTW... when I say way cheaper I mean WAY cheaper... I'm talking a few grand for 3 or 4 animals.

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ah shucks, Wade, you convinced me.. sign me up. I'll take lesser kudu, gerenuk, bongo, roan and Angolan sable. Any chance to add polar bear and maybe a Sulaimen markhor and Altai argali to the mix?

I'll go ahead and pay with good ol AR traveler's checks if that's ok..I'm good for it.