THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Minister effectively bans hunting in Zambia for 2013
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Minister effectively bans hunting in Zambia for 2013
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
quote:
Originally posted by MANDLAZIM:
Andrew - sorry to hear this mate.

I feel for you and the other Zambians that have put big effort (financially and physically) into the wildlife industry.

Just hope the poachers don't see this as an opportunity!!!!

Cheers
Brent

Brent,

It is nothing compared to what you chaps have been through.

The tough bit was for the past three years I convinced a community that the model I worked was one that could be duplicated throughout Africa and one that would benefit wildlife. I changed a mindset.

Quicker than you can swipe a credit card this has been unstitched. I cannot afford to invest in exclusive photographic tourism as I do not have anything to offer and certainly nothing better than the rest of the crowd. Nor do I have the investment. Royal Kafue was built and maintained on hunting revenues, the whole concept was to produce a model that was not donor reliant. It was a functional business arrangement between a community and the private sector and one which exampled the importance of wildlife as a sustainable natural resource.

Whoever has motivated this action then they must be answerable to these communities and to the game. They must take over this responsibility.

I sympathize with the situation you have been left in as you were clearly making headway!

You have said that those concerned must take over responsibility but they won't and you'll still feel some responsibility for the areas and wildlife within because you are a hunter and ultimately a true conservationist hence why the other hunters share your disappointment/bitterness because we're all from the gene pool and understand what a lot of "others" don't. Sad to say the least.

Posts: 352 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 01 May 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I hope things turn around for you.What depressing crap.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
OK, instead of us all having a pity party, lets do something. First, Andrew, you need to get with the chief of the community and have him contact the President of Zambia directly to explain the benefits of safari hunting to his community, and to put pressure on him to reinstate it. Then, if that fails, you need that chief to get an article printed in the newspapers, and it needs to ask who is going to take care of them after the investment they made in your operation and what they were getting out of it.

Those of us here in the USA, who might know someone in the diplomatic service who has a connection to the US Ambassador to Zambia? Who knows somebody who can insert themselves to try to mitigate this?

While I have no connections or funds to fight this, I'll be damned if I think we should all just give up and not try to do something. At least I can contribute some ideas such as these. We ALL need to do whatever we can, no matter how insignificant, to turn this around.

Posts: 3898 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Frostbit:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by MANDLAZIM:
Andrew - sorry to hear this mate.

I feel for you and the other Zambians that have put big effort (financially and physically) into the wildlife industry.

Just hope the poachers don't see this as an opportunity!!!!

Cheers
Brent

Brent,

It is nothing compared to what you chaps have been through.

The tough bit was for the past three years I convinced a community that the model I worked was one that could be duplicated throughout Africa and one that would benefit wildlife. I changed a mindset.

Quicker than you can swipe a credit card this has been unstitched. I cannot afford to invest in exclusive photographic tourism as I do not have anything to offer and certainly nothing better than the rest of the crowd. Nor do I have the investment. Royal Kafue was built and maintained on hunting revenues, the whole concept was to produce a model that was not donor reliant. It was a functional business arrangement between a community and the private sector and one which exampled the importance of wildlife as a sustainable natural resource.

Whoever has motivated this action then they must be answerable to these communities and to the game. They must take over this responsibility.

The success of the safari's you hosted at Royal Kafue last year is a testament to viability of your partnership with the community.

We hunted Lions mate.

Yes we did!! And proper it was.

I know you have the adaptable resilience to personally move forward to cover the needs of yourself and your family. I would hope a plan, even if temporary to buy time, could be constructed to keep the Kaindu Community interested in preserving the lands and wildlife of Royal Kafue as it is. I would also hope a way could be found to continue the patrols of the scouts, and the employment of Iran, a good lad that Joyce still speaks fondly of. I’ll be in touch.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7623 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I must say this even puts a damper on my Namibia Leopard hunt in four months. It's like the whole world thinks we are out to exterminate the big cats.

Some of you have always said, "Go get your lion before it closes." Well, right now every time I look down the long hallway to my TR I can see my lion looking at me. It doesn't make me happy, but rather it is depressing to think I might never get to hunt them again.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Andrew,

So sorry for your troubles and I hope for a beneficial and speedy resolution.

In the meantime, everyone attending SCI can make a point of visiting booth 4322 to politely express your concern. This is the Zambia PH Assoc. booth and oftentimes there will be Zambia government personnel present to take your comments.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
I must say this even puts a damper on my Namibia Leopard hunt in four months. It's like the whole world thinks we are out to exterminate the big cats.

Some of you have always said, "Go get your lion before it closes." Well, right now every time I look down the long hallway to my TR I can see my lion looking at me. It doesn't make me happy, but rather it is depressing to think I might never get to hunt them again.

But you did my friend.

It is not all doom and gloom and things can change quite dramatically in Africa. I like to think that this is a clever Zambian Government tactic whereas Tanzania and Zimbabwe will put their prices up and we then come in later and sweep the board.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9948 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

But you did my friend.

It is not all doom and gloom and things can change quite dramatically in Africa. I like to think that this is a clever Zambian Government tactic whereas Tanzania and Zimbabwe will put their prices up and we then come in later and sweep the board.

I hope your positive outlook comes true.

Posts: 177 | Location: Eastern Slopes of the Northern Rockies | Registered: 15 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Without a doubt you have made the impossible possible. Turning royal kafue back into a place full of wildlife. I'll gladly help you again this year if there is anything to do. And you start hunting again in 2014.

http://www.dr-safaris.com/
Instagram: dr-safaris

Posts: 2090 | Location: Around the wild pockets of Europe | Registered: 09 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Andrew,

So sorry to hear this. I was afraid that this happen way back . . Prayers are with you and I'm sure things will be brighter in the near future for you and yours. You have done many great things there and you will be rewarded for that. Keep having a positive attitude!!

Skip Nantz

Posts: 539 | Location: SouthEast, KY | Registered: 09 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andrew McLaren
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DLS:
OK, instead of us all having a pity party, lets do something. ...................

DLS has made THE real sensible suggestion. clap

May I ask what is PHASA going to do about this? First one country. Then the next. When South Africa?

The powers that be in Zambia has good contact with our main terrorist organization, Can PHASA influence the ANC to send some message about sanity prevailing to their Zambian counterparts?

Andrew McLaren
Professional Hunter and Hunting Outfitter since 1974.

http://www.mclarensafaris.com The home page to go to for custom planning of ethical and affordable hunting of plains game in South Africa!
Enquire about any South African hunting directly from andrew@mclarensafaris.com

After a few years of participation on forums, I have learned that:

One can cure:

Lack of knowledge – by instruction. Lack of skills – by practice. Lack of experience – by time doing it.

One cannot cure:

Stupidity – nothing helps! Anti hunting sentiments – nothing helps! Put-‘n-Take Outfitters – money rules!

My very long ago ancestors needed and loved to eat meat. Today I still hunt!

Posts: 1799 | Location: Soutpan, Free State, South Africa | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
It is but once again that the African proves that he has no concept of cause and effect. Third dimensional fore-thought does not exist.

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ChrisTroskie
posted Hide Post
Very sad news indeed! Sorry to hear about this Fairgame.

I think there might have been better ways of dealing with this but if clamping down on corruption was the true motive than at least that is enlightening. I hope they sort out this mess soon for everyone's sake - especially that of the legit Zambian Operators!

quote:
Originally posted by Andrew McLaren:

May I ask what is PHASA going to do about this? First one country. Then the next. When South Africa?

The powers that be in Zambia has good contact with our main terrorist organization, Can PHASA influence the ANC to send some message about sanity prevailing to their Zambian counterparts?

Andrew, PHASA has actually done quite a bit for us. For one; they met with the Limpopo Provincial Government on Sept 18th last year and at that time it was noted that the Provincial Government recognized the important role that hunting plays in tourism growth.

This might be the status quo for now but who knows of course who the next monkey is who will get a seat on the gravy train...

Fact is that to try and make sense of the African way of thinking and think we as "outsiders" can do anything about it is futile. Truthfully; there is NOTHING we can do about it.

Regards,

Chris Troskie
Tel. +27 82 859-0771
email. chris@ct-safaris.com
Sabrisa Ranch Ellisras RSA
www.ct-safaris.com
https://youtu.be/4usXceRdkH4

Posts: 851 | Location: Sabrisa Ranch Limpopo Province - South Africa | Registered: 03 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Thierry Labat
posted Hide Post
Andrew, my thoughts are with you and the many other great operators there are in Zambia. I wish you guys all the best.

Posts: 644 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 10 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Thierry Labat:
Andrew, my thoughts are with you and the many other great operators there are in Zambia. I wish you guys all the best.

Thanks mate. We understand that there will be a statement issued on Monday and let us hope that it does not affect communal game ranches. The Kaindu community have offered to petition the Minister.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9948 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've said many times that Zambia's Kafue region is my favorite place in all of Africa! The game is tremendous, the lions big and beautiful, and the people are the best.

Although I haven't talked to Andrew in the past couple of weeks, I have talked many times to Richard Bell-Cross and Gavin Hume - both good outfitters with good areas. I do truly feel bad for all of these guys, and the rest of Zambia's hunting industry as well.

However, Gavin said it best to me on the phone just yesterday. The "Game" is finished!!! They (poachers) will kill everything, and will do it in short order. Richard has said the same, and of course - I know that to be true as well. We all know that to be true!

Yes, I feel bad for the Zambians - but people can make a plan. These guys are smart/capable people, and will land on their feet somewhere (be it a tough road in many cases). But, the wildlife has no plan - NONE!!! They will be completely at the mercy of the poachers, and in short order - Zambia's vast game fields will be a thing of the past. Unless a plan is made QUICKLY???

All of this in the name of corruption, greed, stupidity, and oh ya I almost forgot - "wildlife conservation"

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Something tells me our scientific researchers are probably raising their glasses to celebrate their efforts in having succeeded to ban cat hunting.

Oh, Woe! - Its going to be a free for all - much like the bank manager leaving the vault open and forgetting to lock the main entrance!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Somebody refresh my memory..hasnt Zambia survived a short term closure in the past? I am thinking like from 2000 to 2002?

If you look at some of the lions that were taken immediately following the closure they were outstanding...look at Pro Hunt Zambia's gallery for instance.

Sounds like it is time Zambia comes up with a strict lion policy as has happened in TZ and Niassa Moz before moving forward. Hopefulluy the Kafue operators can pull thu offering 10-14 day sable & plains gane hunts in the meantime.

Posts: 1916 | Location: St. Charles, MO | Registered: 02 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i can't help but wonder what the govt. is going to do to make up for the financial losses. At least some of the monies were spent in the villages. and what do all the operators do about their camps? what a fubar

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:
i can't help but wonder what the govt. is going to do to make up for the financial losses. At least some of the monies were spent in the villages. and what do all the operators do about their camps? what a fubar

She, the minister, has said that she is not concerned with loss of income.

Quote 'Safari hunting, she asserted, did not generate enough revenue to make it a worthwhile endeavor.

"Why should we lose our animals for $3 million a year? The benefits we get from tourist visits are much higher," she added.'

Besides, the Nordic States, China and a few others will bail them out, at a price of course.

Stuff me, light bulb goes on. Has anyone considered that this could be a manner to clear the decks so that the Zambian Government will allow mining or some other form of exploitation by some Oriental mob to take place. Cool

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
(quote) Somebody refresh my memory..hasnt Zambia survived a short term closure in the past? I am thinking like from 2000 to 2002?

If you look at some of the lions that were taken immediately following the closure they were outstanding...look at Pro Hunt Zambia's gallery for instance. (quote)

Lion farming is not restricted to RSA it is also well established in Zambia to a point where the quota could be regulated by a 'put and take' system without creating any repercussion on the naturally wild lion. The Minister could therefore weigh this option as a viable solution in preventing the depletion of the Zambian lion population.
I wonder what the Zambian lion farmers do with their 'crop' anyway.

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BEGNO:
OH Crap Andrew,

So sorry for this news, I was hoping to hunt with you again this year. Let's pray they reconsider and come to their senses.

Good luck and my prayers are with you.

the phrase "come to their senses" implies that they had sense to begin with and somehow lost it. we all know Africans have no sense except those of stupidity and greed...

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13392 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scriptus:

Quote 'Safari hunting, she asserted, did not generate enough revenue to make it a worthwhile endeavor.

"Why should we lose our animals for $3 million a year? The benefits we get from tourist visits are much higher," she added.'

I have been to Zambia about 6 times for a total of 6 months. I can tell you without any doubt that Zambia makes very little from actual "in country" tourism. Sure, lots of tourists come into Zambia to see Victoria Falls as a side trip while they are on holiday to one of the nearby countries, but very few actually travel into Zambia and spend money viewing wildlife(or doing anything else). The few tourists you will see deep inside Zambia are the "backpacker" type, and they spend very little money.

What make me sad is that the minister seems to believe that closing hunting will bring more non-hunting tourists. Nothing could be further from the truth. Hunting vs. wildlife tourism is not an either or situation, but it sounds like the animal right wackos have gotten to the minister.

Zambia does not have the money to protect their wildlife the way Zimbabwe or any of the surrounding countries do.

This has the potential to be catastrophic for the wildlife.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hunters have been unsuccessful in getting there message across as conservationists,IMO.All I here from hunters is if you don;t eat it why shoot it.Why not try to get the message to all hunters and to non hunters.Why not pay for message time on TV? or do something more effective.Why not ask hunters for money to help? What is this crap? Put the message in newspapers.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBrown:
quote:

I have been to Zambia about 6 times for a total of 6 months. I can tell you without any doubt that Zambia makes very little from actual "in country" tourism. Sure, lots of tourists come into Zambia to see Victoria Falls as a side trip while they are on holiday to one of the nearby countries, but very few actually travel into Zambia and spend money viewing wildlife(or doing anything else). The few tourists you will see deep inside Zambia are the "backpacker" type, and they spend very little money.

What make me sad is that the minister seems to believe that closing hunting will bring more non-hunting tourists. Nothing could be further from the truth. Hunting vs. wildlife tourism is not an either or situation, but it sounds like the animal right wackos have gotten to the minister .

Zambia does not have the money to protect their wildlife the way Zimbabwe or any of the surrounding countries do.

Exactly!!

Why don't hunters band some bucks together and buy a few leaders? Just sayin'

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7623 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana Nderobo
posted Hide Post
This is absolutely going to be detrimental to the wildlife' and it's a real shame, because Zambia has some of the best game concentrations in all of Africa. I hope it's resolved quickly.

Phil Massaro
President, Massaro Ballistic Laboratories, LLC
NRA Life Member
B&C Member
www.mblammo.com

Hunt Reports- Zambia 2011
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1481089261

"Two kinds of people in this world, those of us with loaded guns, and those of us who dig. You dig."

Posts: 441 | Location: New Baltimore, NY | Registered: 14 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
IMO,we need a major change in leadership in all our major hunting organizations.It seems as if we are going nowhere with these guys.Pressure tacticts are needed,IMO.Boycott our own organizations.

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwana Nderobo:
This is absolutely going to be detrimental to the wildlife' and it's a real shame, because Zambia has some of the best game concentrations in all of Africa.

It is true that Zambia does have great game concentrations in certain protected areas(mostly hunting areas that are protected by hunting operators). But I have been to almost every corner of the country(seriously) and I can tell you that most of it is devoid of game.

Very soon the whole country could have no wildlife left.
Poaching is rampant and the government has no money, or will, to fight them. Zambia has "national parks" that are nation parks in name only. These parks have no infrastructure, no guards, nothing. The poachers head in knowing that they are in no danger of being caught.

I really feel for Andrew and the other operators in Zambia.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mark DeWet
posted Hide Post
This is absolute insanity what is going on with the closure of hunting in Zambia - my feelings go out to the likes of Andrew and other outfitters who have bust their butts over the years to manage their concessions to turn them into top areas !
I have hunted with my good friend Gavin Hume on numerous occasions over the years in his concession Kosonso/Busanga - and have seen first hand the hardship and toil that they have gone through to make things better for the surrounding community and wildlife ! Lets hope that the authorities see the light, and do the right thing - because if not the wildlife is doomed - and that's a fact !! Unfortunately I can just see the unscrupulous canned lion operators in South Africa rubbing their hands with glee !!

Mark

Mark DeWet
Mark DeWet Safaris - Africa
E-mail: marksafex@icon.co.za

... purveyors of traditional African safaris

Posts: 86 | Location: Southern Africa | Registered: 25 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
www.huntingreport.com

Zambia: Cat Hunting Closed Along with 19 Hunting Concessions for 2013

(posted January 10, 2013)

Lion and leopard hunting in Zambia is closed along with all hunting in the 19 hunting blocks that were to be reallocated for 2013. Hunting will continue on private fenced ranches and hunting blocks that were not included in the 2013-2018 allocation period. That's according to a communiqué issued this morning by Minister of Tourism and Arts Sylvia Masebo.

The Hunting Report reported last week on the canceled tenders for the 19 hunting blocks in question. The cancellation was due to allegations by Masebo of corruption among officials of the Zambia Wildlife Authority (ZAWA), which was in charge of the tender process. Meetings were held this week to determine how the 2013 hunting season would be handled in light of the cancelled tenders. Masebo held meetings on Wednesday and Thursday, first publicly with the Vice President, the Chief of Chiefs, Wildlife Producers Association of Zambia (WPAZ), the Professional Hunters Association of Zambia (PHAZ) and various Non-Government Organizations (NGOs), then again on Thursday with a smaller group, including PHAZ. The decision that emerged was to close the 19 concessions for this year and rework the tendering process for 2014. Masebo also decided to close all lion and leopard hunting throughout the country. Some industry sources claim that does not apply to the concessions that were not part of the allocations. The Hunting Report is seeking verification on this point and will report the answer before the Safari Club International Convention.

The reason given for the cat hunting closure is that the population figures reported by ZAWA and the subsequent quotas established by them reportedly are unsupported by scientific data. According to sources, Masebo wants to get better numbers to set new quotas for 2014, if the information supports a harvest at all. Since her initial cancellation of tenders, Minister Masebo reportedly has been meeting with chiefs and local scouts in the northern Luangwa areas. She claims they have told her that lions are scarce in their areas and far below the estimates provided by ZAWA.

If you have booked a hunt in one of the 19 suspended concessions or for a cat hunt in any of the other areas that did not go up for tender this year, contact your operator immediately to learn your options.

We will continue to follow developments and provide more clarification. - Barbara Crown, Editor

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9481 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you have booked a hunt in one of the 19 suspended concessions or for a cat hunt in any of the other areas that did not go up for tender this year, contact your operator immediately to learn your options.

What operators are still able to do business as usual?

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This happened so quickly it is shocking . I saw a bunch of the Zambian guys at DSC. Seems their lives have even turned upside down.

I am told a leading cat expert ( non hunter with a PHD) told the minister in question that they just signed the death warrant for all of Zambia's cats. Will this have any impact? Who knows.

We can only hope.

Posts: 12094 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Larry, I doubt it. Her decision was based on personal influence and emotion. Had nothing to do with science and sustainability.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBrown:
quote:

What make me sad is that the minister seems to believe that closing hunting will bring more non-hunting tourists. Nothing could be further from the truth. Hunting vs. wildlife tourism is not an either or situation, but it sounds like the animal right wackos have gotten to the minister.

Once again, proof that the only way the minister and her ilk keep their ears apart is by picking their noses. No logic and no third dimensional fore-thought.

One of Us
Picture of charlieT
posted Hide Post
This is awful news>

I hope there is some skilful negotiating going on with the gov that we are not aware of.
Who knows, maybe this was just a case of the new gov chucking out the baby with the bathwater, when they tried to clamp down on nepotism and corruption in hunting block allocations.

Lets hope things get cleaned up soon. Maybe this is just a temporary closer, ZAWA/gov re-asses cat numbers, and release new quota numbers, stricter researched based numbers, 6 year old etc. that may be more deffendable to the feel good EU funders

If they can close it overnight, they can re-open it too.

lets help sanity prevail

Posts: 27 | Location: africa | Registered: 24 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://allafrica.com/stories/201301160880.html

Zambia: ZAWA Owes Over KR 2 Billion
By Anthony Mulowa, 16 January 2013

TOURISM and Arts Minister Sylvia Masebo says the Zambia Wildlife Authority (ZAWA) has a debt of more than KR 2 billion (K2 trillion).

Ms Masebo said the debt could be attributed to various facts among them poor administration.

She was speaking in Lusaka yesterday when she featured on Radio Phoenix 'Let the People Talk' programme.

The minister said the debt included non remittance of statutory obligations as well terminal benefits for former employees.

"We want to ensure that we have proper management of wildlife. The debt which ZAWA has accumulated could be as a result of poor management," she said.

Ms Masebo said ZAWA and the Government will have to raise funds to pay people and institutions which were owed.

She said the poor management dated back to the 'old days' and could be attributed to previous Government administrations.

She said the Patriotic Front (PF) government wanted to reverse the poor trend.

Ms Masebo wondered how a lion could be hunted for US$3000 in Zambia and later be sold at $70,000 elsewhere.

She said the little money which was paid for wildlife hunting was not properly accounted for.

She said she had no regrets for banning the hunting of wildlife in game reserves.

"This period will give us time to create more jobs in the sector as well as allow Government to come up with better legislation," she said.

Meanwhile, Ms Masebo said she would announce the new ZAWA board this week.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9481 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hunting For Adventure
posted Hide Post
Sounds like she wants the money to stay in Zambia.

Tom Addleman
tom@dirtnapgear.com

Posts: 1161 | Location: Kansas City, Missouri | Registered: 03 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
Once again the Ape's have control of the Zoo. Best wishes for a speedy solution Andrew. You and your country will be missed during this unfortunate monkey shines. LDK

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6814 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I still dont under stand. Is this for cat only?? Or all hunting? I have a hunt booked for this June in Zambia,and the booking agent told me they still dont know.

Posts: 133 | Location: Eskimo Point - CANADA | Registered: 23 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It has to be me. Some how I must be the kiss of death.

2008 Two days off the ice and Polar Bear is closed for importation to the US. 5 years, no bear.

2011 Back to the Luangwa with Sir Fairgame and now Zambia is gone. Never saw Kafue or the Bangwela Swamps.

2012 Sankoyo Botswana All hunting to be closed by the end of 2013.

Really what the Hell is going on?

Jeff

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote