one of us
Picture of Marterius
posted Hide Post
I am in awe... Eeker

And very, very well written!

Regards,
Martin

-----------------------
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition. - R. Kipling

Posts: 2068 | Location: Goteborg, Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of the_captain
posted Hide Post
Wow! What an experience! and well told... Congrats on coming through it in one piece!

==============================
"I'd love to be the one to disappoint you when I don't fall down" --Fred Durst

Posts: 759 | Location: St Cloud, MN | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Judge -
thanks and UFF, I can start breathing again.
While reading I asked myself wheather reading the story was better than being there Smiler,what an experience - to survive !YOU will cherish it for your lifetime and we will do the same - never knowing how we would react or stay clean.In the end one just faces reality and makes the best of it.You didn't run, you been to the mountain and nothing that will turn up in the future will compare.You might as well look for other adventures.
Thanks

Posts: 795 | Location: CA,,the promised land | Registered: 05 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
Judge:

When will you book be published? You have a mastery of the pen few can rival...

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Judge,

You are a raconteur par excellence!! Thanks for that story, and congrats on an experience of a dozen lifetimes.

Cheers,
Canuck

Posts: 7122 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
you have lived my dream!!

Posts: 1404 | Location: munising MI USA | Registered: 29 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of asdf
posted Hide Post
Well lived and well written; congratulations.

Posts: 980 | Location: U.S.A. | Registered: 01 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very Intense. Good thing they stuck to thier natural prey.

Jack Atcheson & Sons

www.atcheson.com

GO HUNTING NOW WHILE YOU ARE PHYSICALLY ABLE

Posts: 373 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: 14 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It was his breath that saved them all...Have you been around "his honer" after a night of that expensive scotch malt, thats whiskey to us Texans, its the stuff that smells like Kerosene to most of us, comes from Pete moss methinks, at any rate the Lions never had a chance, they couldn't wait to exit...He also drinks my mineral oil when the gins gone, and that should flay any Lion a day after, but thats an inside joke! Thus their salvation!! sofa jump wave

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
You're right Earnest. You have been to the mountain top because it's all downhill from there!
Amazing experience and great writing. Thank You!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your buffalo hunt is a most certainly a lifetime experience. Remembering is reliving.

Congratulations.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
It was his breath that saved them all...Have you been around "his honer" after a night of that expensive scotch malt, thats whiskey to us Texans, its the stuff that smells like Kerosene to most of us, comes from Pete moss methinks, at any rate the Lions never had a chance, they couldn't wait to exit...He also drinks my mineral oil when the gins gone, and that should flay any Lion a day after, but thats an inside joke! Thus their salvation!! sofa jump wave

Unlike the old British sailors, that were used to pickled and salted meat, it appears lions like fresh meat. lol

1. Judge, did that double feel like "enough gun"?

2. Is your new rifle a Nitro 600, "double double" four barrels? Or, for this situation, sounds like an FN/FAL or M-14, are more for the occassion. jump

3. Are you going to start wearing diapers sooner then normal? sofa

4. How many shots do you think you could have got off, if the lions came at you, and not the buff?

I've watched one lion go from a crouch, and nail game, within 'putting' distance, and I couldn't even start to move, much less site, and pull the trigger.

Seriously, that was an incredible experience, followed by incredible writing. Well done, and glad you are alive and well, to write about it.

Hand of The Lord is evident in these rare glimpses we get into His incredible creations...

God Bless

GS

One of Us
Picture of prairiewolf
posted Hide Post
WOW Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Posts: 144 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 28 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What a great adventure. Thank God you had some luck and the lions and buffalo were busy with each other.Another good reason to carry "enough gun" too.

Posts: 740 | Location: CT/AZ USA | Registered: 14 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
great story, thanks for taking us to the mountain top. eek2

Posts: 40 | Location: MA., USA | Registered: 19 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Judge G ----- Great adventure well epostulated. I have hunted with Pierr'e and Twiga, I had a fantastac hunt for Buffalo and plains game, however I didn't get quite as high on the mountain as you. A previous story by you convinced me to hunt with Pierr'e and I certainly didn't regret my choice. It utterly amazed me as to the exposure to danger they live with daily, but are always alert to and respectful of the animals they hunt. sofa thumb Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2363 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
yeahaw!

awesome story, scratch that awesome experience!
what would you do different looking back? what would you do different with the 405? strong peep sights? wilson combat ones maybe?

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27608 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Boom:

I feel that I had the very perfect gun for the incident with the lions, a Westley Richards .450/.400 with a Woodleigh soft in the right barrel and a solid in the right. It is far from a heavy gun and points wonderfully for me. I spent many an afternoon putting a little water in baloons and chunking them in a pond, then as the wind blew them, busting them out to 70 yards or so as the "sailed" across the lake. I practiced rapid reloading while doing so.

As to the .405 Winchester, I believe that the Lyman 21 just isn't sturdy enough for a rifle that will be carried all day. It is amazingly accurate and has a feature that allows you to flip down the small apperture and use one a little less than "Ghost ring" size.... just perfect for low light situations.

I had the .405 just where I wanted it, but never figured that the sight would slide down the track when the gun was resting/bumping along on my shoulder while stalking buffalo.

Williams make a model that is rock solid. I will replace the Lyman and get a Williams and bore out the apperture some... or just buy a couple of extra appertures of different diameters to keep in my pocket.

As I wrote elsewhere, the Northforks weighing 330 grains had a sectional density of .279 or so and were traveling in excess of 2200 fps. Northforks CUPS and FPS penetrate like crazy. I was ready... but the best laid plans?

While huntng buffalo with the Westley Richards, I found myself limited to pretty close in shooting, unless I caught game out in the open. My old eyes just won't let me pick out a path through bushes, etc. after 50 yards or so. I think I'll never lose my love for doubles, but next safari where I'll hunt buffalo, I'll take the pressure off some by popping the first dagga boy with something wearing a 1.5x5 Leupold. Age has its limitations... Then I'll try to get fancy. Maybe I'll get rich again had have Butch make me a .375 Flanged Magnum with claw mounts. That sounds like a winner? The best of both worlds?

As for elephants... that's another issue. Doubles all the way.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7694 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
thumb

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27608 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This should be a sticky, or put somewhere for everyone to have easy access to. FANTASTIC

G

posted Hide Post
Holy crap !!!
I almost shit my pants just reading it. Man you're a lucky guy, both for the experience and for being alive.

Very well written. thumb

Posts: 6 | Location: Norway | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of RobinOLocksley
posted Hide Post
Judge, that was the best account I ever read about a wild encounter.Your are a gifted narrator.Write a book and you will be a millionaire ( even if you are one now).Thanks for sharing-
Locksley.

"Early in the morning, at break of day, in all the freshness and dawn of one's strength, to read a book - I call that vicious!"- Friedrich Nietzsche

Posts: 810 | Location: Sherwood Forest | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JudgeG I woould very honored to sit at your camp fire. Sprig

Rose lipped maidens--light foot lads!!!

Posts: 448 | Location: Okie City | Registered: 18 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Anders
posted Hide Post
What a story! Puh... Breathtaking.
I visited Etosha last year and vitniced a pack of lions killing a springbuck a 100 yards away. I was at a waterhole at Halali camp, behind fences.. Thought I had experienced something exciting.. Smiler

Anders

Hunting and fishing DVDs from Mossing & Stubberud Media: www.jaktogfiskedvd.no

..and my blog at: http://andersmossing.blogspot.com

Posts: 1959 | Location: Norway | Registered: 19 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CFA
posted Hide Post
Ernest,

Thanks for your story. With your writing ability who needs to be a judge, I will look forward to seeing your stories in print. Perhaps you could sell some and keep that "perfect double", besides I will have another .500/465 H&H Dominion coming soon and we still need to some up with a litter. Wink

Fred

*If you are not hunting in Africa you are planning to hunt in Africa*

Posts: 465 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 15 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Teat Hound
posted Hide Post
speechless . . .

-eric

" . . . a gun is better worn and with bloom off---So is a saddle---People too by God." -EH

Posts: 952 | Location: Bakersfield, California | Registered: 03 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ernest,
Push that Lyman down all the way and lock tight it there, then get a .007 brass faced partridge sight from NECG and hand file it to zero..no more problems or just send the sight to me is another option...maybe the sight and the rifle together if the barrel is any good...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
See, that's what all of that legal and judicial training was good for!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes indeed, you have been to the Mountain! A superb adventure very well told! thumb

If yuro'e corseseyd and dsyelixc can you siltl raed oaky?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Judge:

You crafted that story as if you reached for each word, careful to ensure that it created the right sights, smells, and emotion.

Very well done.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Even PHC could not have written more Ernestly than that. Thanks for reminding me of how lions make my short hairs snap to attention. I just don't care for cats. Wink I was rooting for the buffalo, and the humans. thumb

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of invader66
posted Hide Post
Judge G
My wife,who will be going with me, read your wonderful report and ask if that could happen to us. I said I guess it is possiable. She looked at the Ruger #1 458 lott I was holding at the time and ask "Don't you think you need a better Rifle?" I looked at her and says "Anything to make you feel safe dear." Big Grin
Now I got to hope she don't figure out what the
375 Whitworth is for till I can get to the shop.

Thanks for the new rifle.
Gene

Semper Fi
WE BAND OF BUBBAS
STC Hunting Club

Posts: 1684 | Location: Walker Co,Texas | Registered: 27 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
"Anything to make you feel safe dear." Big Grin

roflmao roflmao roflmao clap

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JudgeG....being late to chime in on this one, i know it sounds like an echo when i say, "Wow, what an experience!!" others have also beaten me to the punch by favorably comparing your relating of this event to the writings of PHC and the other great writers. concerning your writing and you intestinal fortitude, i will jump in with everyone else and just say "extremely well done!!"

i also have to say that i envy you. not many of us hunters(besides the combat vets and a few others) will ever find out if we really "have what it takes". you have found that out about yourself. it's easy and common for us to say what we would do in a situation like the one you were in but nobody really knows until it happens to them. i don't know if i could have done it but i would like to find out. i can say one thing for certain...for those few minutes it would have been physically impossible to drive a sewing needle up my butt with a 16 lb sledgehammer Big Grin

again, well done and thanks for sharing your experience with us...bud

blaming guns for crime is like blaming silverware for rosie o'donnell being fat

Posts: 1213 | Location: new braunfels, tx | Registered: 04 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't think anyone can deny that the Judge has an extraordinary ability when it comes to writing hunting stories. He does have a way with words. I would think he could make a profitable sideline as a "ghost writer" for articles in various hunting magazines. His stories are always a joy to read! Keep it up Judge!

Posts: 1357 | Location: Texas | Registered: 17 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can just see it now....the Judge reaching for the ejection seat handles and saying "Eject! Eject! Eject! thumb

DB Bill aka Bill George

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Damn. That will sure keep your attention.

NRA Life Member
NRA Charter Member Golden Eagles

Posts: 899 | Location: South Bend, Indiana | Registered: 11 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Incredible.

One of Us
Picture of almostacowboy
posted Hide Post
AWE - n. - a feeling of fearful or profound respect or wonder inspired by the greatness, superiority, grandeur, etc. of a person or thing and suggests an immobilizing effect

Dave

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value."
-Thomas Paine, "American Crisis"

Posts: 816 | Location: Llano, CA Mojave Desert | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
I read Almostacowboys words and became Almostabighead until I realized he was in awe of the experience, instead of my writing! Big Grin

We've all been to the Mountaintop, be it in your granddaughter's laughter, the graduation of a son who you'd thought would never make it, watching childbirth or just seeing the lady at the checkout counter smile when she doesn't have to.

Yesterday, I had the pleasure of eating a meal with a good friend and his grown daughter. I know the trials and tribulations of the relationship and getting to observe the product of a lifetime of "hanging in there" and the resultant and obvious love between them was about as great a joy to watch as catching a 15 pound bass... and maybe even better than eating Key Lime pie made with the real juice from South Florida... well, not better, but a great thing to see! Love is Grand. Nature is Grand. Life is Good. Bad stuff happens, but dwell on the Good.

Tomorrow, promise to stop to watch a squirrel scamper up a tree, a cloud morph into a cartoon character or just wonder at the technology of a cell phone call. I get a kick out of watching a dog and an assistant dog just checking out the neighbor's yard. Not every day has its lions and tigers, but every day has its joys.

We've all been kicked in the teeth and tend to forget that God is on His throne. His promises are redeemable... just maybe not when you expect them.

So... May you all, at least for tomorrow, enjoy the Peace that surpasses all understanding, and, though tired as the expression may be... Have a good day!

And, no, Ray... I only had one single malt tonight.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7694 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote