Notify
Tools

I've Been to the Mountaintop!
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of floridabigfish
posted Hide Post
BRAVO.......... clap

Florida...where you have to go north to get south.

Posts: 318 | Location: Pinhook River, Florida | Registered: 27 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Once again I would like to thank you for the time you spend with us.
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This one can now be rated as a classic. thumb

Posts: 177 | Location: SW Florida | Registered: 26 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Doc52
posted Hide Post
Ernest!
Your The MAN!!!

Doc52
B. Searcy & Co .577 NE
Double Rifle Shooters Society

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote!"

Benjamin Franklin 1759

Posts: 241 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JohnHunt
posted Hide Post
wow! Eeker

Posts: 1678 | Registered: 16 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Outstanding! For a moment I was there, beside you as the lions came in.

Perception is reality
regardless the truth!

Stupid people should not breed

DRSS
NRA Life Member
Owner of USOC Adventure TV

Posts: 923 | Location: Phx Az and the Hills of Ohio | Registered: 13 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
JudgeG

My words could not do this story justice. Fantastic!!!!!!!

Posts: 158 | Location: texas panhandle | Registered: 15 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Twice today, I had a querry about this thread. One, an AR guy was asking about the hunt area for a contemplated safari and I was also asked by another retired judge if I had ever been scared in Africa.

I sent a copy of this thread by e-mail to her and thought that some of the folks, new to the forum and contemplating a safari, might enjoy reading why we pay hard-earned money to go... so... btt.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7545 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
quote:
I was also asked by another retired judge if I had ever been scared in Africa.

God I hope so thumb

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was sitting here absolutely miserable because I have to wait a year to go back, and then I found this.

Thanks for taking me back, if even for a few minutes. A great story, beautifully written.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Judge G

Good to see you're back to making some posts again. Hope you're doing well. Will you be going back to the Selous this year?

Bull1

Posts: 405 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: 25 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
This year, I took my daughters on a wonderful trip, first doing the tourist thing in Dubai, then hunting in South Africa and finally visiting Victoria Falls, river rafting, walking with the lions, eating too well, etc. We stayed at the posh Victoria Falls Hotel.... only to have heart problems when I came back... but I'm about well and went back to work today!

I don't know when I'll be back in the Selous with a zillion dollars in medical bills pending... but I'll get there. Africa is too much of my life to not go again.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7545 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
I was in Pierres camp soon after Judge G's safari that year. Having read his report on AR I printed it off and took it with me.

At a sundowner the first night I pulled out the copy and asked Pierre's wife to read it. When she finished there was a long silence then Pierr'e, while staring into the fire, quietly said "and thats the way it was".

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
WOW, incredible. Now I know I will go to the Selous sooner than later.

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

Posts: 1926 | Location: Lafayette, LA | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JudgeG:
only to have heart problems when I came back... but I'm about well and went back to work today!

Your heart knew where it belongs, it must have been expressing it's sadness at leaving.

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
I had the privledge to chase buffalo there also... As it says I've been to the mountaintop... Chased buf up and across and down the otherside... Pierre told me, " Mike this is where Judge and I stood back to back and faced the lions..."

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The opening post is an experience
to dream of..... salute

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
True - tho it would count as a nightmare in my book - cojones stuff thumb

Posts: 2027 | Location: Slovenia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote