New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Bullet to use?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I used the Winchester Power Point Plus on my last hunt in Africa and was not really impressed by the performance. I have a rifle that shoots the 165 grain Federal Fusion Bullet really well. I have been impressed with this load on Whitetail, Siberian Ibex, and Auodad but wonder if a TSX or Nosler partition might be a better choice. I also have some 180 grain Failsafe loads that might be good. Any suggestions appreciated!!!! We will be hunting Nyala,Wildebeast,Kudu,Bushbuck,Warthog, and possibly Waterbuck.

Hawkeye47

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
What cartridge 30.06, 300 or 308?

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12543 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
TSX, FailSafe, or Nosler Partitions should all work just fine in the appropriate caliber for whatever you are hunting, as would A-frames.

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In a 308, 30/06, or 300 Mag a Nosler Partition, Trophy Bonded Bearclaw, Swift A Frame, or Barnes X Bullet would be my choice for Africa.

In a 308 my wife and I [I shot some small stuff] had excellent results in a 308 with Federal 165 Trophy Bonded Bearclaw, and the Federal 180 MRX bullet.

On all manner of plains game, those bullets worked for my wife as good on the ones she shot, as the plains game I have shot with my 9,3x74R.

After "Her" Safari I have a new found respect for the 308.

Also She did kill a MONSTER Cape Buff, with [MY,HER, the court case has not been settled yet...] 450/400 3 1/4" double, with ONE shot, after a several [6+] hour stalk.

She worked hard and shot straight, a well earned trohpy.

She shoots "pretty good". And that is the bottom line no matter what gun you are carrying.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Swift A-Frames .......

.470 & 9.3X74R Chapuis'
Tikka O/U 9.3X74R
Searcy Classics 450/.400 3" & .577
C&H .375 2 1/2"
Krieghoff .500 NE
Member Dallas Safari Club

Posts: 1582 | Location: Eleanor, West Virginia (USA) | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frank Beller:
Swift A-Frames .......

thumb

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try the North Fork bullets, they are awesome. Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2349 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of husky
posted Hide Post
Winchester Power Point Plus... bewildered

Isn't that one of Bill Gates new inventions? bewildered

Posts: 1134 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by husky:
Winchester Power Point Plus... bewildered

Isn't that one of Bill Gates new inventions? bewildered

animal

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just got back from Namibia and used North Forks in my 375 H&H and 300 Jarrett. Shot 270 Gr North Forks from 375 at 2650 FPS. Took Kudu, Blue and Blk Wildebeast, and a Wart Hog with the 375, and a Springbuck and Gemsbock with the 180 Gr 300 Jarrett at 3100 FPS. Both bullets worked extremely well and had consistant penetration and expansion.

Posts: 2180 | Location: Rancho Cucamonga, Ca. | Registered: 20 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I will be shooting a 300 WSM or a 300 Win Mag.
The 300 win Mag shoots the failsafe 180 really well. I wouldn't be afraid of the Fusion bullets ion the smaler animals but the Elk size ones might require a bit stouter bullet.

Thanks for the info!
Hawkeye47

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just love North Forks

Posts: 527 | Location: New Orleans,La. | Registered: 27 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wonder when factory loads will be available with North Forks?
Unless you handload, you are missing out in the current state of affairs.

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Hawkeye47: I have shot my .300 WSM in Africa for the last 7 safaris on plains game and have killed over 70 plains game with it, from Steenbok to giraffe and eland. All were shot with trophy bonded bearclaw bullets. I used the new trophy bonded tips during the last trip, as well as in Sonora, Mexico for desert mule deer last January. In my experience and in my opinion, a great caliber and a great bullet to boot.

One of Us
Picture of Bwana Nderobo
posted Hide Post
Must sgree with Frank Beller on this one. A-Frames have worked for me on all things African, close up, or far away.

Phil Massaro
President, Massaro Ballistic Laboratories, LLC
NRA Life Member
B&C Member
www.mblammo.com

Hunt Reports- Zambia 2011
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1481089261

"Two kinds of people in this world, those of us with loaded guns, and those of us who dig. You dig."

Posts: 441 | Location: New Baltimore, NY | Registered: 14 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
If your rifle shoots the Failsafe well, you shouldn't have any problems. I've had a number of clients and close friends use them without problem. They will do the job if you do yours.
GH,
David

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6804 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
Noslers, Swifts, Barnes, Trophy Bonded and many other quality bullets have been used successfully all over Africa for a long time.

The question I have is, over the last 30 or so years, has any bullet killed more game in Africa than the good old Nolser Partition?

I've taken African game with Noslers, Swifts, Trophy Bondeds, Woodleighs, Hornadys, A Square, and a few others. I'm not sure there's really a substantially better bullet for the money than the good old Nosler Partition.

Posts: 3856 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andy
posted Hide Post
Hawkeye,

I have recovered a few Fusion bullets (62 grain 223 and 165 grain .308 W) and they are a pretty good semi bonded bullet for light to medium game.

I say semi bonded because they use the old Remington technology of electroplating copper to the lead core. You may recall the 223 and 6mm Power Lokt bullets?

Speer uses same technology on their well regarded Gold Dot pistol bullets and was the reason they expanded Gold Dot into the Fusion brand.

Unlike Remington who stopped at 6mm, they go all the way up to 338.

I have some pictures of 223 and 308 bullets from deer and water buckets I will post if I have them on my laptop.

Pictured 62 grain Fusion (water bucket) and 55 grain Trophy bonded, deer.

165 grain Federal HE TBBC (kudu) and Fusion (water).

The 62 grain 223 is one of best buys in 223 ammo available, cheap enough to practice with and good enough to stake your life on. .308 is less spectacular but decent.

I would agree w my peers here on AR and recommend 165 grain North Fork, Trophy bonded, Swift, TSX, Interbond, Accubond, Woodleigh, Fusion in that order.

One nice thing about the Fusion is that it is inexpensive enough to practice with!!!!

Andy

Posts: 1278 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 16 January 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hawkeye 47 This is your old Hunting Companion to Canada. I will give you a call soon as both my address and phone number have changed. I have used most of the bullets mentioned including the fusion. I finished off a Red Hartebeest with a 180 grain from close range with great success. I recovered the bullet and have it hear in my office. It really expended to about 80 caliber and weighs about the same as a Barnes Triple Shot 180 grain that I finished off a Mountain Zebra. The Barnes is about 35 Caliber as all four petals broke off. I took a 270WSM with 150 grain Fail Safes and the PH ask me to leave it in the tent and take my 308 Win with 165 Grain TBBC. They hated the Fail Safes as they felt they were like solids on the smaller animals. I used 270 grain A-Frames in my 376 Steyr and I recovered two of them. One from a Zebra that was stil about 265 grains and one from a Blue Wildebeest that was about 230 grains if I remember correctly.It was a shot from 95 yards and the bullet was under the skin on the far shoulder. There was some damage to the rear of the bullet. It looked like some one had hit it with a hammer and flatten it some. I also got complete penetration from 165 yards on a big Eland in Namibia. Are you going back to Africa soon? I hope to go back in 2010 but I many need to wait until 2011. I am still building homes. The more I build the sooner I can see an African Sunset. Charlie

Posts: 5 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 31 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Swift A-Frames have no equal in my opinion. Just got back from 10 day hunt in Namibia and will never take anything else.

Excellent expansion and weight retention.

Posts: 122 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 20 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Ginger vs. Maryann

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10058 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Swift a-frame or Nosler partition, they're field record is impecable.

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hawkeye47:
The 300 win Mag shoots the failsafe 180 really well. I wouldn't be afraid of the Fusion bullets ion the smaler animals but the Elk size ones might require a bit stouter bullet.

Thanks for the info!
Hawkeye47

Then just stick to the Failsafe.

They will work as well as any other bullets you might try.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66975 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hawkeye47:

Thanks for the info!
Hawkeye47

I have taken my 300 win mag on all my Africa trips. I actually use the 165 gr Hornady Interbonds and have never had any problems from taking steenbok up to kudu. The failsafes will work just fine on the animals you listed.

Good Hunting,

Posts: 3143 | Location: Duluth, GA | Registered: 30 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve Malinverni
posted Hide Post
Curious nobody wrote anything about Woodleigh.

bye
Stefano
Waidmannsheil

Posts: 1653 | Location: Milano Italy | Registered: 04 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
None of the animals on the list are particularly tough to kill except possibly the wildebeast. So just about any bullet suitable for deer/elk sized animals will work.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote