New
Find
Notify
Tools

What would you expect to pay?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm planning my first 10 day guided safari to S Africa and was wondering what to budget for if I was wanting to go for: Kudu, Cape Buffalo, Nyala, Impala and Sable. More specifically, what would you expect for the trophy fee costs?
Thanks

Posts: 3456 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 17 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Since each game ranch sets their own prices, the logical step is to ask the outfitter you are booking with. In RSA Cape Buffalo is more expensive than in just about any other country in Africa, hovering around $8,000 last time I looked.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
and sable isn't far behind. with that list in RSA I would expect the bill to be in the 20-25,000 area

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bluefin:
I'm planning my first 10 day guided safari to S Africa and was wondering what to budget for if I was wanting to go for: Kudu, Cape Buffalo, Nyala, Impala and Sable. More specifically, what would you expect for the trophy fee costs?
Thanks

Bluefin, you've picked the wrong country if you want Cape Buffalo, the trophy fee alone for a Buff in RSA will run you $8K, and a Sable another $2K or so plus daily fees for the 10 days, which very depending on the level of luxury you buy,from $2800, to $5K, and Airfare is going to run you another $2K r/t. That's around $14K, for just the two animals mentioned.

An idea you might consider is a 5 day plains game hunt in RSA, or Namibia, then go to Zimbabwe for your Buffalo, on a 7 day hunt!

Shakari,Ray, and Wendell Reich, who all post here, can help you with this, as can several others who post here.

If you want Cape Buffalo, I'd be looking at Zimbabwe, and Sable is going to be expensive anywhere you hunt him!

Good luck!............ beer

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
I agree with MacD
(I think he means Wendell Reich)

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
I can't help you with Zimbabwe as we don't hunt there, but I can help you with a 7 day (2) Buff and plains game hunt in Tanzania and/or a plains game hunt in SA, Botswana or Namibia. Feel free to contact me if you need details. Wink

one of us
Picture of Andrew McLaren
posted Hide Post
bluefin,

Here are some prices extracted from my 2006 list of competitors' prices. It may be a good idea to copy the table and paste it into a spreadsheet. Naturally if you choose to plan your safari with Andrew McLaren Safaris you are assured of the best possible value for money. Wink

Species ;Count ;AVG ;min ;25% ;75% ;Max
Buffalo ;13 ;$10,960 ;$4,690 ;$9,500 ;$ 13,900 ;$16,500
Impala Trophy Ram ;94 ;$352 ;$180 ;$275 ;$400 ;$950
Kudu Greater Trophy Bull ;90 ;$1,273 ;$700 ;$956 ;$1,488 ;$3,590
Nyala ;82 ;$2,183 ;$1,000 ;$1,613 ;$2,500 ;$3,550
Sable Antelope ;28 ;$7,074 ;$1,000 ;$6,000 ;$8,000 ;$15,500

You may wish to learn a bit more about planning your own safari at my home page or at http://planninganafricansafari.blogspot.com/

In good hunting.

Andrew McLaren.

Andrew McLaren
Professional Hunter and Hunting Outfitter since 1974.

http://www.mclarensafaris.com The home page to go to for custom planning of ethical and affordable hunting of plains game in South Africa!
Enquire about any South African hunting directly from andrew@mclarensafaris.com

After a few years of participation on forums, I have learned that:

One can cure:

Lack of knowledge – by instruction. Lack of skills – by practice. Lack of experience – by time doing it.

One cannot cure:

Stupidity – nothing helps! Anti hunting sentiments – nothing helps! Put-‘n-Take Outfitters – money rules!

My very long ago ancestors needed and loved to eat meat. Today I still hunt!

Posts: 1799 | Location: Soutpan, Free State, South Africa | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The appropriate destinations for a hunt such as this are Moz and Zim. I wouldn't consider any of the others, they are either quite a bit more expensive or you won't get a good Sable.

If you want to hunt RSA, then you should drop the Sable and Cape Buffalo and add some other species (wildebeest..."poor man's buffalo"); waterbuck perhaps; no reason not to hunt impala and warthog, you will have plenty of money left over if you forget the Sable.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2932 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Good to see you posting -- enjoy the planning!

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
with sable, buff, and nyala on the list, you are looking at about $12-14,000 or more in trophy fees alone!threw in the other animals plus daily rate and you have spent a lot of money for what is essentially a high fence ranch hunt. for probably about half of that you could go to Zim or Moz. and get the same animals in a real wilderness setting.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13402 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Adam Clements
posted Hide Post
bluefin - I would suggest you consider Mozambique for your 3 main animals for the best deal not to mention good buffalo, great sable and some of the best nyala hunting in Africa and it is all free range and remote.

adam@safaritrackers.com
www.safaritrackers.com
210-698-0077

Posts: 473 | Location: San Antonio, Texas & Tanzania | Registered: 20 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jaco Human
posted Hide Post
bluefin, you can also have a look at the special AR/Aim hunt that Steve and myself will be hosting next year for AR members. The prices are very good and it promisses to be a lot of fun.

For buff, Zim will be the cheapest, but Tanzania will be the best

Life is how you spend the time between hunting trips.

Through Responsible Sustainable hunting we serve Conservation.
Outfitter permit no. Limpopo ZA/LP/73984
PH permit no. Limpopo ZA/LP/81197
Jaco Human
SA Hunting Experience

jacohu@mweb.co.za
www.sahuntexp.com

Posts: 1250 | Location: Centurion and Limpopo RSA | Registered: 02 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
Fella's: please email me with where I can find these cheap prices for RSA Buff and Sable. I have clients that will jump on this. All kidding aside, Buff and Sable are expensive in RSA. However, the percentage of coming home with a quality animal is high, and the Buff are disease free. I would appreciate any info. Good hunting, LDK

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6814 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwanna
posted Hide Post
I might consider not hunting RSA if Buff and Sable were on on the list and you were looking to do the hunt on any kind of a budget - look at Zim or Tanzania

Posts: 1667 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada | Registered: 12 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK, OK so I'm overpaying! LOL But it has 5 star living quarters and they do take the leashes off the animals before setting them free. Heck, they've even offered to hold my pina colada while I shoot.
Actually I had won a pretty sizeable gift certificate for this ranch and it did help me to make up my mind to do my first African hunt. I have to admit that the living conditions are a little more luxurious than what I would have picked had I done the safari myself. But, somehow, I think I can manage.
I was able to negotiate a pretty good deal with the owner. I backed off the buff, picked up a couple of extra days to hunt and dramatically dropped the overall price - still kept the sable on the list. I figured it will give me more time to look over the animals and really be able to relax and enjoy myself vs get off the plane and start shooting.
From the pm's and posted messages I also felt it would have been an injustice to take a buff there. I think I would rather hunt in 'hunting conditions' for the buff in a more remote area. That will be my second African adventure. For now, I'm going to enjoy this trip and take a pile of pictures and hopefully some nice animals. I'll certainly post them on here when I get back. Thanks again for all your responses and I do have a good idea on the folks I'll be calling for next year's buff hunt.

Posts: 3456 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 17 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON A CAPE BUFFALO IN SA! That said, go to Zimbabwe, Zambia or other countries that will treat you right on the price and you will have the chance to get a decent buff.

Posts: 104 | Location: Chile | Registered: 21 February 2006Reply With Quote