THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    .45-70 controversy makes Rifle magazine
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.45-70 controversy makes Rifle magazine
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
I do think you are uniquely qualified to speak about the net psycho considering the incredibly poignant statements you have made about me behind my back on another forum. It is certainly a intersting trait that you actually practice the very same method of communication that you degrade. I have little doubt that you ever thought you would be read by myself. In regards to being up front about your identity I have little doubt as to the reason you chose the name you did to hide behind. Their are no less than 46 persons with the same first and last name in Ohio. I see no reason why we would wait to meet in Indiana or any other state. You live less than 30 minutes from Cabelas and I am there on average every other weekend. You seem to think you know a great deal about my experiences. Perhaps you could enlighten me. You won't get far with the lies your pard the Alsatian has been telling because he is just grasping at straws. As far as personal testing put your best tool to work. You do have that one right ? Use the search feature and you will see there are several here who have, or have attempted to take a buffalo with less than satisfactory results out of the 45-70. I understand your ego is bruised after brian Pearcy missed three times. I am contesting Mr Pearces results right here if you had failed to recognize that. Perhaps your sense of fair play is disturbed because he is not here......or is he ? As a writer he is certainly aware of this forum. After the last tissue of rifle magazine I don't think there is any question he is aware of the debate. Further there is at least one poster here who claims to know him personaly. If you read the article then you know what there is to debate. You can clearly see the bullet wound in the buffs guts and that is not a shot Mr Pearcy claims to have made. He KNOWINGLY used a gun that was NOT legal to hunt with. Maybe you have developed some mental dislexia Carmello but Personaly I would call that a sell out on both accounts. You can put all the shuck n jive spin cycle on it you want but you can not twist the facts. Bottom line is that I could care less if you hunt with a 22 if it is legal. I could care less if you buy 80 grain Garret 22 LR ammo and stalk a killer chipmunk. Just dont expect me to believe you shot square through the shoulders of two animals with a 45-70....unless of course you are Brian Pearcy and consider a flesh wound a shoulder hit. Now I am at a loss of understanding for the criminal activity you mention, however, given the criminal record of the two individuals in Maumee by the name you listed I can tell you have a twisted sense of humor. People rarely lie by much though so I expect you live close and you or any one else can join for for a good cup of coffee just about any saturday and you wont even have to go 30 minutes out of your way. I'll buy and that's a mighty friendly offer considering the way you have attacked me personaly behind my back when we have never spoken before.

Posts: 1010 | Registered: 03 February 2004Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
This might have been correct when the game laws were formulated.

They certainly do not hold true today.

I know for a fact that the 9.3 and 375 were picked as minumum because they had factory loaded solids available.

Not because they have an X amount of energy which might kill these animals.

Posts: 67307 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
not one of us
posted Hide Post
I am glad to see the grand ole cartridge still rates so highly among forum readers and posters.

Even the Nay Sayers can't argue against the interest level!
There is a reason Rifle Mag responsed to my email with their article. The 45-70 generates interest becuase it is a great caliber for deer right on up to elephant. (with the proper loads) Is it the most powerful D/G rifle out there?
No it is not. Will it do the job reliably? Ethically? and quickly? ABSOLUTELY!
Why do so many of the wannabee african experts WHO NEVER USED IT THEMSELVES AGAINST D/G argue so vehemently against it? Becuase they are only here to make $$ advertising or brokering their personal outfitting operation or employer.
Gentlemen... please open your eyes

C

Posts: 451 | Location: no where | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

From Carmelo

Why do so many of the wannabee african experts WHO NEVER USED IT THEMSELVES AGAINST D/G argue so vehemently against it? ........

C

Why do so many wannabee african experts WHO NEVER USED IT THEMSELVES AGAINST D/G argue for it? Experts who have NEVER been to Africa and who admit that they have ONLY had a 45-70 for a couple of months? How can these wannabee experts have a legitimate opinion on anything or any animal or any ability of a cartridge they have never used on anything other than a piece of paper?

Give your daydreaming a rest and come back when you get back. If, you are in fact, going at all.

Posts: 6277 | Location: Not Likely, but close. | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
not one of us
posted Hide Post
One doesn't have to be an expert to realize what has already been done with the 45-70 you genius.
I am not saying it does anything new, just praising what it has already done!

You act is if the 45-70 enthusiasts are making ground breaking claims! We're not, we are simply supporting the ones made and verified!

You guys are simply trying to keep your butss safe in the bush while you sell someone on a fenced in canned hunt

not one of us
posted Hide Post
Bob,
Read your post. I regularly shoot 430grain Gas Checks propelled at 2100 fps out of my 26 inch barreled Marlin 1895 CB.
I can only approximate as to the actual pressure CUP however other than harsh recoil I see no signs of excessive pressure, no sticky extraction, no flattening of primer heads, nothing out of the ordinary at all.
My Load is as follows: 430gr GC, Starline Brass, Federal Magnum Rifle Primer, 52 grains of Reloader #7

(This load works in my rifle, you should also use published load data and work up from 10% below the maximums listed)

I have chrono'd this load over time on several different units so the fps data is accurate. The energy levels more than meet the requirements for any game on the planet.
C

not one of us
posted Hide Post
George,
Don't try to allude that guides would be unwilling to work with a hunter using a hot loaded 45-70.
The PH's and Guides will work with anyone who pays them.

Especially some of the ph's and guides that work for unethical brokers and outfitting companys you can find lurking in a lot of forums. Giving out "Good Advice"

C

not one of us
posted Hide Post
John.
YOU ARE 100% right, this guy is a total troll.
And possibly connected to some shady outfitters scamming people in canned hunts.
Take anything he says wiht a grain of salt.
C

one of us
posted Hide Post
Johno,
Sorry your opinnion is lowered on me, I am a controversial sort, and your right, its my business not yours but I would just like to know what I said that blew your skirt up..I was not rude to anyone on this thread and just inserted a bit of humor!

Posts: 41950 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
quote:
I guess the question is,can the 45-70 kill Buff?Yes it can.So can alot of other cartridges as proven by the Pistol finaticts.I love my 45-70 but if I was going to Africa I think there are better choices for self defense and tried and proven killing power time after time.Just because it can doesn't make it the best choice.

ditto

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've never shot a buffalo in the ass and I don't pray to the 45-70 Gods. I could care less if Pearce or any one else does. Personally I wouldn't brag about a ass shot,

rotflmo animal

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
I want to preface my comments by saying that I have never hunted in Africa and have never owned a 45-70. However, I would like to suggest another way of looking at this debate.

Last year I killed an etremely large bull bison with my .404 and this past weekend a friend and I were at a ranch not to far away lining up what is becoming our annual bison hunt. This year we are going to shoot a couple of cows around three years old because the quality of the meat is excellent. However, the rancher had several large bulls available as well. Trust me when I tell you this that these bulls are considerably larger than any cape buffalo ever hoped to be. Now, before you leap to your keyboard and tell me that a comparison between a bison and a cape buffalo is not fair becasuse a cape buffalo is so much more aggressive, I wish to conceed that point. I think cape buffalo are indeed more aggressive than bison but I would like to suggest to you that a big bull bison (or a cow with a calf for that matter) is an animal that should not be underestimated. I know people who raise these animals and I am told that bison can indeed become very surly and aggressive. My point is that a bison can be bigger than a cape buffalo and every bit as strong and physically as dense as a cape buffalo.

WHEN I go to Africa, I am going to hunt with a .404, .416, or 500 because (1) these are legal calibers and (2) I want to use a traditional "African" rifle and caliber. However, doesen't it seems a bit incongruous to argue that traditional American calibers like the 45-70, 45-90, and 45-120, that practially exterminated the American bison are unsuitable for the cape buffalo, especaily now with the superb bullets that have become available in the last twenty years or so sofa

Dave

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
The most important difference between a bison and a buffalo, is that you can wash your hands is a bison.... jumping

Sorry about that ridiculous bit of English humour, but I just couldn't resist it. Wink

One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
/snicker.

Nice thread ressurection! 2004...

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2318 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
popcorn popcorn horse I can feel the love!! killpc

Posts: 5706 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I killed at large 43" Cape Buffalo in MZB June 2005 using a Marlin Guide gun with Garrett 540 grain ammo at 110 yards. My shot was a little forward on the shoulder, but when that big bullet hit he was turned into a three legged buffalo. I only took the rifle as I was going to leave it in Botswana at a horse safari operation. It worked fine as I made a good first shot, but I would much prefer something larger of at least a 416 Rigby on a wounded buff follow up.

You can borrow money, but you can't borrow time. Go now.

STAY IN THE FIGHT!

Posts: 1849 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 25 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
pics please!!!!

email me if you want me to post them for you.

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
I bet there are a lot of hunters who kill all sorts of game animals in Africa with cartridges that are far below the legal minimum every year.

I believe you are right on that assumption, and My assumption is there are lots of bones, of poachers, lying out in the bush of those who practice that "UNDERTAKING"! Pun intended!

jumping jumping jumping

This is my one and only reply to this thread!
.............BYE wave

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
per corecpa

These are from my hunt in MZB from June 2005. I used a Marlin Guide Gun with Garrett super hard cast 540 grainers going a mere 1550 fps. We waited on a bank for over five hours before I got the shot on the Buf. He was an honest 100 yards away when I fired. The bullet hit him too far forward on the shoulder, but he was unable to use his left front leg afterwards. We walked up behind him to finish his off. One shot to his spine put him down for good along with two more heart shots while he was on the ground. Those things are tough. He was the second biggest buffalo in the herd of 44. I could never get a shot at my first choice and the herd was starting to move off so I took him. He is a little over 43"s.
The hippo cow I took at about 40 yards with a brain shot, but a 30-06 could have killed her just as well.
I left this rifle with the Limpopo Valley Horse Safaris guides in Botswana. It is carried in a scabbard while out riding and is loaded with the Garrett 500 grain solids. They have lots of elephants in the Tuli and although it wouldn't be my first choice for an elephant gun, it is much more compact on horseback than the CZ 458 Win Mags they use to carry. The goal there isn't necessarily to kill an elephant, but just make it go away.
I bought this Marlin second hand over the internet for $ 400 including delivery. It already had the WWG extended mag tube and glove sized lever.
That was a smokin hot deal and I believe there is nothing wrong with using a Marlin for Buffalo. If he is wounded I wouldn't hesitate to go after with the 45-70, although I would be happy to let my PH lead the way with a 416 Rigby or bigger. They have to do something to earn the big bucks!