Find
Notify
Tools

ETHICS & LOYALTY: OPINIONS PLEASE
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Price the service anyway you choose, the buyer can decide to take it or leave it based on their perceived value for your services. But don’t expect that doing one deal entitles you to fee off the buyer in perpetuity even if the buyer chooses to not avail themselves of your services.

Mike

Posts: 21672 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
Price the service anyway you choose, the buyer can decide to take it or leave it based on their perceived value for your services. But don’t expect that doing one deal entitles you to fee off the buyer in perpetuity even if the buyer chooses to not avail themselves of your services.

Do feel you are entitled to a discount equal to the commission amount?

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3523 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JTEX:
quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:
What about the ethics of signing a non-disclosure agreement on the hunt keeping a hunter from discussing the hunt in a negative light on the hunting forums?

Is that ethical?

There was a chat post about this very thing. I can't remember who was involved.

Who the heck would try to pull that? That sounds unethical.

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Ahrenberg:
quote:

. . . asked and answered.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The best place to address this in the contract between Booking agent and outfitter. But most of African hunting is low dollar (in the commercial sense) and too complicated to be properly contracted and have the contract enforced.

So it is all about reputation, relationship and service. A client directly booking with a outfitter means the client sees no value in using a booking agent (who they don’t pay Directly but the seller does). If the outfitter values the booking agent for other clients or book of business they will pay for the direct booking client.

This is basically between an outfitter and his/her sales representative.

If the booking agent is the client/buyers agent then the booking agent can directly contract with the client. But I don’t see too many hunters wanting to be contractually obligated to a booking agent for any significant duration.

Common law has a procuring clause

https://www.natlawreview.com/a...-potential-liability

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

. . . asked and answered.

That’s an obfuscation, nit an answer.

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3523 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
The whole idea of a client going directly to a PH, after he had hunted with him through an agent, so he can get the agent's fee as a discount, is dishonest.

No two ways about it.

We deal with many international companies, who we represent, some customers try to go behind us directly, those companies have always turned them down, and sent them back to us.

Never had a single one who tried dealing directly with the customer.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68645 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

It would be reasonable to assume that the 15% commission would be an equitable discount if a client were to book directly with the outfitter who is willing to disburse the same amount anyway to an agent.

It is one thing if the client chooses to by-pass the agent and book directly but a different kettle of fish when the client is poached by either the outfitter or one of his PHs and stiffs the agent.

There are however some outfitters who in such cases will still look after their agent and honor their business affiliation with a 5% "finder fee" though I have not heard of an outfitter turning away a repeat client simply because the client decided to take the direct approach in booking a hunt.

Posts: 2031 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of KMG Hunting Safaris
posted Hide Post
Pay the agent his dues. If the hunter tries to book directly with you for a second hunt, you have an obligation to inform the agent. If it was not for the agent, you would never have had the booking in the first place.

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
Cell, Whats App, Signal + 27 82 8205387
E-mail: info@huntsafaris.co.za
Check us out on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/kmghuntingsafaris
Instagram: @kmg_hunting_safaris

Posts: 1400 | Location: Eastern Cape | Registered: 27 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
What are the responsibilities of the agent in regard to hunts?

And is it the case that someone books a hunt via an agent but never, until they show up, communicate with the PH? If an agent is involved, is the expectation that all comms will be brokered through the agent?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am going to stand behind 3 points.

1. I would never enquire to an outfitter about not using an agent for the next trip, but If the agent and the outfitter are in good standing with one another I shouldn't happen.

2. I do not feel as though if I was hunting with the same outfitter for the next 20 years that the agent is entitled to that 15% for eternity. Unless both the agent and the outfitter are in agreement.

3. There are shit outfitters and shit agents, and for that matter shit clients. It is important to keep that in mind.

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Found the link on non-disclosure agreements for hunting forums, and double indemnity clauses.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...043/m/1901019122/p/1

What wonder's exist, the agent asking about ethic's is the same one this discussion was about.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BaxterB:
What are the responsibilities of the agent in regard to hunts?

And is it the case that someone books a hunt via an agent but never, until they show up, communicate with the PH? If an agent is involved, is the expectation that all comms will be brokered through the agent?

I don’t think I’ve ever communicated directly with an outfitter when there is an agent involved. (Before arrival).

That said, I had a seven year run in Zambia, from 04-10. The first and second were negotiated via my agent but from them on, I would just tell the duPlooy’s while there, when and for what I was coming for the following year.

All three parties involved knew the agent was in the mix. No discussions were needed or had.

If 5-15% is the difference between going or not going, I need to find a new hobby.

I did a 21 day Safari with Wayne Grant in Tanzania last year and never once communicated with him until I stepped off the plane in Bukoba. (His wife, Margie did email me to ask me to bring some eye drops along for Wayne due to the tremendous amount of ash in the air)

Communication with the outfitter
Holding TF monies in escrow
Keeping us advised in any changes
Helping with gun importation issues
Booking the optimum dates per species

All things and more a quality agent performs.

Formerly "Nganga"

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Thanks Steve, much appreciated. Interesting.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KMG Hunting Safaris:

Pay the agent his dues. If the hunter tries to book directly with you for a second hunt, you have an obligation to inform the agent. If it was not for the agent, you would never have had the booking in the first place.

This is the correct sequence of events. The obligation is between the Agent and the Outfitter. At the end of the day, the Agent needs the Outfitter as much as the Outfitter needs the Agent. I am sure both parties are willing to find common ground without becoming litigious.

It is up to the client to decide if an Agent is worthwhile and if they feel morally obligated to them for all future transactions.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Found the link on non-disclosure agreements for hunting forums, and double indemnity clauses.

What wonder's exist, the agent asking about ethic's is the same one this discussion was about.

Karma.....

Formerly "Nganga"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
quote:
The advantage oF a good agent is financial security.

If your safari goes tits up then who are you going to call?

I had one go south and there was not a single damn thing that the booking agent could do, but to not use that outfitter again. He could not and did not get any monies back for me. The only offer was to go back with the outfitter and he would add a couple of extra days for free. Screw that!

Here's another hypothetical (but factual) situation. What if a fishing guide takes you fishing to some great areas that are known to him, but not many others, and are on public property and you have a successful fishing trip with the guide? What if you go back to that area and fish it on your own? Are you obligated to only fish there if you have booked through the guide again? That same hypothetical could also apply to hunts on public lands.

I see this happen all the time in my state. Guys will book a 1 day trip to get the "feel" of the body of water and tactics used. Then fish it the next few days on their own. I know it pisses most of the guides off but others just let it pass. I have friends that do it all the time on big lakes in the winter through the ice. I guess I've never thought about the ethics of it. Most of my friends look at it as an investment on their trip since they only go maybe once a year. The trip is a big deal to them and they'd like to be rewarded with good memories and a mess of fish.

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
It is a fee for services business. If no services are rendered, no fee should be payable. So I hire a real estate agent to find me a house in a nice neighborhood. She identifies a house in a great neighborhood that I was previously unaware of and earns his/her commission. Several years later I decide to move to another house in the same neighborhood using no agent. Is the original agent entitled to another commission since she identified and introduced me to the neighborhood initially. Of course not. No one would even suggest such a stupid idea. No services were rendered and no commission is due. If you do not value the services provided by an agent, and choose not to use one, whether it is your first trip or your fifteenth trip the agent is owed nothing in my view.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
It is a fee for services business. If no services are rendered, no fee should be payable. So I hire a real estate agent to find me a house in a nice neighborhood. She identifies a house in a great neighborhood that I was previously unaware of and earns his/her commission. Several years later I decide to move to another house in the same neighborhood using no agent. Is the original agent entitled to another commission since she identified and introduced me to the neighborhood initially. Of course not. No one would even suggest such a stupid idea. No services were rendered and no commission is due. If you do not value the services provided by an agent, and choose not to use one, whether it is your first trip or your fifteenth trip the agent is owed nothing in my view.

Well put, I was trying to come up with some kind of similar financial transaction involving a lot of money. This is a good example.

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Here's another issue, slightly off topic. I booked a hunt years ago with a PH that I had hunted with three times previously. I always booked through the agent, as I was instructed by the PH to do so. All payments went directly to the booking agent for everything. After the hunt, the PH approached me and asked me to pay him for the hunt. I looked at him like he was crazy and told him that I had fully paid for the entire hunt before I left the States. He then told me that he had not been paid for my hunt by the agent, nor for the one previous to mine. I told him that I had a financial trail and to take it up with the booking agent. He did, and after some time was finally paid. I also had a pilot fly me and one of my hunting friends into the Zambezi Valley to hunt. We paid him for both the flight in and out. The agent then asked us for payment for the flight out. We had pics of us paying the pilot. End of story. So, the motto here is, be careful with PHs, booking agents, pilots, etc. etc. and maintain a meticulous financial trail when it comes to payments.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well all are fond of saying that AR is the best resource for vetting our PHs, outfitters, etc.

Some time ago I had an idea to create a "booking co-op" where members paid a small fee (perhaps $25/year) to cover basic website expenses, but also to "be an owner." It would contain a forum site similar to AR, but allow members to write trip reports on hunts they had been on. Since the Co-op would be a booking agency, any hunt booked would result in a 15%, to be split perhaps 10% to the hunter who booked, and 5% to the guy who posted the original report. If the new hunter writes a report, then the second trip booked would result in a split between the two of the 5% fee. I have too many other irons in fires and never thought much about the idea.

The booking agent model has remained virtually unchanged in the last 50 years. Perhaps its time has come. Oh wait, it already has - many outfitters advertise directly on AR. I have booked several hunts this way and never had a bad one.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
Well all are fond of saying that AR is the best resource for vetting our PHs, outfitters, etc.

Some time ago I had an idea to create a "booking co-op" where members paid a small fee (perhaps $25/year) to cover basic website expenses, but also to "be an owner." It would contain a forum site similar to AR, but allow members to write trip reports on hunts they had been on. Since the Co-op would be a booking agency, any hunt booked would result in a 15%, to be split perhaps 10% to the hunter who booked, and 5% to the guy who posted the original report. If the new hunter writes a report, then the second trip booked would result in a split between the two of the 5% fee. I have too many other irons in fires and never thought much about the idea.

The booking agent model has remained virtually unchanged in the last 50 years. Perhaps its time has come. Oh wait, it already has - many outfitters advertise directly on AR. I have booked several hunts this way and never had a bad one.

That’s an interesting business model.

Your comment, as to never had a bad hunt, found on AR. The only bad hunt I’ve ever had was the ONLY one I found on AR.

It was in Tanzania with Federico Gelinni. The PH was an American guy. What a fraud. He ripped the sleeves off his shirt like John Sharp, acted like a cheesy actor playing the role of Mark Sullivan.

I think he was shit scared of Buffalo. One of my two Buffalo from that sad excuse of a hunt, he sent myself and his tracker to do it on our own. That was fine with me but odd.

He was hanging Leopard baits all over hell in spots that looked suspect to me. I’m no professional but it seemed he couldn’t get a Leopard in a tree if there were 1000 Leopards and only one tree.

Federico had 7 Chinese guys sharing a 21 day license. He gave them the classic camp, put me up in a portable camp out in the damn sun.

The area was poached out, wood poachers everywhere. 75 people in the bush building a home for some wealthy guy from Egypt or someplace.

A complete disaster.

The ONLY time I booked a hunt without an agent. That said, I asked him to look into it. Neither one of us could really find anything negative.

I’ll stick to agent(s)

Formerly "Nganga"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
In my mind, I’m a bit confused.

When he was with ACST, I had booked with Mark, and then stayed with Adam until relatively recently, when the change was more due to wanting to stay with a particular company that was no longer being booked by the agent. So I guess I tend to stay with the company as long as they provide what I’m looking for.

I’ve never been offered any part of the commission by outfitters on return hunts, but I’ve also thought the price reasonable. Is the outfitter pocketing an extra 10-15%? I have no clue.

That being said, if the agent isn’t doing anything for the client, I really don’t see what they have done to deserve more money. Finders fee? The agent had his chance to show the additional value he brings to the table.

I have heard of outfits that have helped fix messes of ex clients when they did business with other folks, and that’s commendable- and the sign of someone I would use- but I wouldn’t expect that if I was not paying them.

It’s my understanding (maybe wrong) that the majority of hunting clients are one and done; that being the case, I don’t see where if the outfitter did a great job and convinced the client to return to them that the agent really deserves additional compensation. Most other fields don’t have that kickback structure now, so I don’t get it- and from my limited contact with commissions sales, one of the big bugaboos is salesman x may make the sale, but if salesman y is there when the transaction occurs, he gets the commission instead.

Just my $0.02

Posts: 10977 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I do business with someone once I incur no obligation to do business with them in future, and they obtain exactly no ownership interest in my ass, or future business.

"If you’re innocent why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?”- Donald Trump

Posts: 10340 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 09 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gundog 64
posted Hide Post
What if we come at this from a different angle. What happens if the client does not care to do business with the booking agent, but likes to hunt with the outfitter? Can the client never hunt with the outfitter again without going through the booking agent? Is the outfitter expected to lose the client if the client refuses to do business with the booking agent?

Posts: 791 | Location: MI | Registered: 26 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Uh, oh.

Posts: 42341 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
The whole idea of a client going directly to a PH, after he had hunted with him through an agent, so he can get the agent's fee as a discount, is dishonest.

No two ways about it.

We deal with many international companies, who we represent, some customers try to go behind us directly, those companies have always turned them down, and sent them back to us.

Never had a single one who tried dealing directly with the customer.

I agree with you. I’m in many ways a glorified middle man. Many of the people I deal with for clients are too. I have had a client or two go around me. In each case, I had the satisfaction of turning their business away when they came back hat in hand. I dint know that I’d use an agent for Africa but if I did, I would feel a loyalty toward them in regard to the outfit with which they lined me up as long as they maintained a relationship. I feel like my honor should be sold for a higher price than 15% off.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If the agent makes the introduction, that's the arrangement for the duration of the relationship. That's the way I did it when I started out. Lately, I've booked directly, but never got an introduction from an agent. Agree, that would be dishonest to use the agent and then book directly.

Posts: 10311 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I have always stayed with the agent who made the initial arrangements, unless I had good reason not to do so.

The key factor for me is that without the agent who helped me in the first place, I would likely have missed the opportunity.

To me, the two things that are most important in any human relationship, including any business relationship, are honesty and loyalty.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13617 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If the agent adds value it makes sense to use them again.

If not...

"If you’re innocent why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?”- Donald Trump

Posts: 10340 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 09 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just my 2 cents worth on this, having worked in Fleet Management for many years, contracting out work you don't have a lot of experience with is standard practice. The same thing can apply to using an agent (an ethical one at least), they have done many hunts and should know what needs to be done in order to have a smooth hunt. It is possible that by trying to keep the booking agent out you may be gaining a lot of stressful and unforeseen things with your hunt. So, to summarize, if you had good luck with a booking agent, why not use them again?

Posts: 231 | Location: Washington state | Registered: 03 December 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
To me, the two things that are most important in any human relationship, including any business relationship, are honesty and loyalty.

Exactly!

I no longer deal with anyone I do not know and trust.

If I need any product, or service, I do not personally anyone who provides it, I talk to trusted people I deal with, and get recommendations.

Works like a charm.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68645 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of KMG Hunting Safaris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gundog 64:
What if we come at this from a different angle. What happens if the client does not care to do business with the booking agent, but likes to hunt with the outfitter? Can the client never hunt with the outfitter again without going through the booking agent? Is the outfitter expected to lose the client if the client refuses to do business with the booking agent?

Well, first of all, if the agent did not add value to the transaction, then the outfitter should question his relationship with that agent.
To answer your question, the client does not have to go through the agent, but the agent should still be paid his dues. He is ultimately the one who sourced the client in the first place.
Sourcing the client is also not where the agent's duties end. He should be seeing the process through from the start, to the finish line.
I know that my Canadian representatives even assist with processes of clearing the trophies at the ports.

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
Cell, Whats App, Signal + 27 82 8205387
E-mail: info@huntsafaris.co.za
Check us out on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/kmghuntingsafaris
Instagram: @kmg_hunting_safaris

Posts: 1400 | Location: Eastern Cape | Registered: 27 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you book travel through a travel agent and have a great trip, are you obligated to use that travel agent on the next trip? The agent got paid for his services on the first trip, if his services are not needed or desired on the next trip, why is he entitled to be paid regardless just as a result of having booked a prior trip?

+1

Posts: 3974 | Location: Vell, I yust dont know.. | Registered: 27 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would skip the agent if he was doing nothing to earn it. IMO

Posts: 1543 | Location: Alberta/Namibia | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
quote:

Exactly!

I no longer deal with anyone I do not know and trust.

If I need any product, or service, I do not personally anyone who provides it, I talk to trusted people I deal with, and get recommendations.

Works like a charm.

THIS, my whole life. Not just hunting. As Tony Soprano might say, "I know people". rotflmo

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7623 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As a client, I suppose I should have been more aware of the politics of booking through an agent vs. booking directly --- but I hadn't given it that much consideration. I have tended to use the same booking agents ( e.g. Wes Hixon) repeatedly when I'm looking to book hunts in new areas I want to try, or with new hunters that I'm unfamiliar with. In rebooking hunts in those areas, I continued to use Wes because he took care of business, smoothed over problems that arose, and generally did a great job dding value. But I don't think I have a moral or ethical duty to book with him or any other agent. I do it because it makes sense for me to do so. Conversely, when I know precisely with whom I want to hunt, and I know their reputation (e.g. Charlton McCallum or Tholo), I am going to book directly. I'm not sure if this adds anything to the discussion, except to state my view that an agent doesn't have a moral right to my business, but certainly will retain my business by providing a service.

Posts: 113 | Location: The Republic of Texas | Registered: 26 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Robinson:
I have always stayed with the agent who made the initial arrangements, unless I had good reason not to do so.

The key factor for me is that without the agent who helped me in the first place, I would likely have missed the opportunity.

Exactly. If a PH is actively attempting to get me to circumvent the agent who brought me to him, that tells me all I need to know about the PH.

I have used several agents . Some I would never go to again under any circumstance. There are two that collectively I have used many times. Their services have been invaluable to me over the years. I would not dream of cutting them out. While I may not have a legal obligation to use them, I have a higher obligation, a moral one, to use them.

Posts: 12094 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:

I’ll stick to agent(s)

I am with you brother. The agents use have been invaluable to me. Saved me from numerous bad trips.

Posts: 12094 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Robinson:

Exactly. If a PH is actively attempting to get me to circumvent the agent who brought me to him, that tells me all I need to know about the PH.

I have used several agents . Some I would never go to again under any circumstance. There are two that collectively I have used many times. Their services have been invaluable to me over the years. I would not dream of cutting them out. While I may not have a legal obligation to use them, I have a higher obligation, a moral one, to use them.

Amen to that. Very, VERY profound.

Formerly "Nganga"