Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nganga:
quote:
Originally posted by Frostbit:
quote:

This actually leads right back to physical fitness. Make no mistake, when you step off that charter and Andrew see's a fat out of shape old guy, he knows what he's up against. Conversely if an athletic, fit individual steps off that charter, he smiles internally and knows, He has a guy who might be able to go to that one secret place that he knows about that requires 8 hours on foot to get to. (and out again)

Just sayin...

Steve

Do I get a discount for a resting pulse of 46? Big Grin

No discounts, your just expected to work harder Eeker

46 NICE!!!, whats you MHR? (and your age)

Steve

Age 56

MHR tends to be about 170. I will tilt towards going anaerobic at that rate.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by John Frederick:
quote:
I'll have to disagree a bit here, By mosts definition here, as long as you worked hard and had a good time the size is of no importance? BS. were all human.

My definition would be more of a very difficult to obtain animal of a better than averagre size. If the difficulty is the only criteria, would a 30" LDE be a trophy? NOPE. It may represent a long pursuit and the result of 14 days of tracking but I hardly feel it is a worthy trophy.

This actually leads right back to physical fitness. Make no mistake, when you step off that charter and Andrew see's a fat out of shape old guy, he knows what he's up against. Conversely if an athletic, fit individual steps off that charter, he smiles internally and knows, He has a guy who might be able to go to that one secret place that he knows about that requires 8 hours on foot to get to. (and out again)

Just sayin...

Steve

Dear Mr Nganga,
please elaborate on what constitutes "a fat out of shape old guy". Confused

I need to know if I should feel offended. Frowner

John,
thats easy, without thinking look down, can you see your shoes?

No, they are in my wardrobe, but I'll go and have a look if you want me to. Smiler

I still need a definition of "old". Confused

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
I'll have to disagree a bit here, By mosts definition here, as long as you worked hard and had a good time the size is of no importance? BS. were all human.

My definition would be more of a very difficult to obtain animal of a better than averagre size. If the difficulty is the only criteria, would a 30" LDE be a trophy? NOPE. It may represent a long pursuit and the result of 14 days of tracking but I hardly feel it is a worthy trophy.

Just sayin...

Steve

Dear Mr Nganga,
please elaborate on what constitutes "a fat out of shape old guy". Confused

I need to know if I should feel offended. Frowner

John,
thats easy, without thinking look down, can you see your shoes?

No, they are in my wardrobe, but I'll go and have a look if you want me to. Smiler

I still need a definition of "old". Confused

The answer is ever evolving as one gets older themselves.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
How many little blue pills??

I have a formula to determine old, by pills required to perform appointed task.

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3543 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim Fixx was pretty fit. Ran marathons every weekend. He's dead, at age 53 of a heart attack. Fit means they can use a narrower coffin.

I'm six-two, two-twenty-five, and nearly sixty-one years old. Not fast, but steady. You just start out, I'll be there in time to take the shot, unless you go sheep/goat hunting.

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

The number of those little pills needed is entirely dependent on what the recipient of ones affection looks like.

The quantity required may vary from none, to shit loads, to "I give up". animal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
Jim Fixx was pretty fit. Ran marathons every weekend. He's dead, at age 53 of a heart attack. Fit means they can use a narrower coffin.

I'm six-two, two-twenty-five, and nearly sixty-one years old. Not fast, but steady. You just start out, I'll be there in time to take the shot, unless you go sheep/goat hunting.

Rich
DRSS

Rich,
Jim Fixx was genetically predisopsed to heart trauma. I dont care if I die at 53 as long as I felt good for 53 years. Frostbit is 56 years old and his max heart rate is 170. take 220 minus your age. That is approximately your max heart rate. Frostbit is in excellent condition.

Next time you are at your physician ask him for a stress test and you might be surprised at what you learn.

The human body is an amazing machine, it gives you back exactly what you give it.

I am doing Dall/Griz in the Brooks next month. I'll not suffer an ounce unless Lance Armstrong shows up to be my guide.

Steve

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3543 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

The number of those little pills needed is entirely dependent on what the recipient of ones affection looks like.

The quantity required may vary from none, to shit loads, to "I give up". animal

John,
Simply observe the 4 hour rule Wink

Formerly "Nganga"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Nganga:

The quantity required may vary from none, to shit loads, to "I give up". :

John,
Simply observe the 4 hour rule Wink

Although it pains me to admit it, I no longer have the endurance for a four hour session.

But then again, if Elle was present.............. dancing

One of Us
posted Hide Post
She sends her regards & sympathy.
animal

Formerly "Nganga"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve,

I don't run marathons either. There's only one important thing I can't do as much as I used to.

A real life definition of fit is: can you still do the things that are important to you?

My answer is YES!

If you are over 25 you can't keep up with your PH/Guide anyway. It's what he does for a living, not a hobby.

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you are over 25 you can't keep up with your PH/Guide anyway. It's what he does for a living, not a hobby.

Wanna Bet?

Formerly "Nganga"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Wanna Bet?

I could run most PH's I've met into the ground if I wanted to, cardio-wise.

Steve, sounds like you're ready for those AK hills.. Best of luck.

Posts: 2163 | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
She sends her regards & sympathy.
animal

Mate, I don't need her sympathy, I need her BODY. Eeker Eeker Eeker

One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
You are as old as the woman you feel??? Cool

SUSTAINABLY HUNTING THE BLUE PLANET!
"Political language is designed to make lies sound truthful, murder respectable and to give an appearence of solidity to pure wind." Dr J A du Plessis

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
Professor Jud and I were holed up in the reedy fringes of the Kafue river here in Zambia and I was urging him to shoot a thirty plus inch Sitatunga. There were two bulls standing side by side like a pair of book ends. The lesser bull would go twenty seven inches and his horns were thick and supported long ivory tips. Having queried me I confirmed that both animals were indeed fully mature and yes the smaller 'trophy' was in my opinion the older animal.

He turned down the larger bull and took the twenty seven inch Sitatunga.

His comment was that for him it was a better trophy. I admired him for that.

So define 'trophy' and just out of interest is there any other crackpot out there who would have turned down a thirty inch Sitatunga?

I won't lie I would have shot the 30 incher.

Fairgame heading your way in about a month.
What does it cost to do a one day Kafue lechway now??

NRA LIFE MEMBER
DU DIAMOND SPONSOR IN PERPETUITY
DALLAS SAFARI CLUB LIFE MEMBER
SCI FOUNDATION MEMBER

Posts: 1366 | Location: SPARTANBURG SOUTH CAROLINA | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Trophy is like beauty - in eyes of the beholder. Nuff said!

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Greg Brownlee
posted Hide Post
quote:

Just sayin...

Steve

Back on topic, I totally agree with you here Steve. If that was the case, I would assume we would have shot our elephant on the fourth or fifth 8 hour day of hunting in Botswana this last time over. It took us the whole 14 days to find that 70 lb bull but it was worth every mile we walked. When the bull actually ended up being 62 lbs, (looong nerve, with the measurements he had, surprised the hell out of all of us), the client wasn't the least bit disappointed with the hunt.

That being said, had the bull turned out to be 40 lbs, it may have been a different story!

Greg

Greg Brownlee
Neal and Brownlee, LLC
Quality Worldwide Big Game Hunts Since 1975
918/299-3580
greg@NealAndBrownlee.com

www.NealAndBrownlee.com

Instagram: @NealAndBrownleeLLC

Hunt reports:

Botswana 2010

Alaska 2011

Bezoar Ibex, Turkey 2012

Mid Asian Ibex, Kyrgyzstan 2014

Posts: 1154 | Location: Tulsa, OK | Registered: 08 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tapper2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Robinson:
My trophies are placed with honor, and respect, in my home.

They are, to me, a lasting tribute to the beauty, strength and dignity of the creatures themselves.

They evoke in me the powerful emotions I felt as I pursued them, and killed them, in the wild.

My trophies do not pass quickly into dust, as they would have, had it not been for my intervention.

They live on, and will live on, for at least as long as I have life, and the memory and ability to tell their stories.

Mike, That's the best discription of trophy hunting I have ever heard. I am sitting here beside a 39" buff that spent ten seconds trying to kill me. We had quite a dance. In the future I may take a larger one but it will never be the "trophy" this gentleman is......Tom

SCI lifer
NRA Patron
DRSS
DSC

Posts: 654 | Location: Denver, Iowa | Registered: 10 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 375LVR
posted Hide Post
Like many others on this thread, the trophy on the wall is a physical reminder of the the real trophy, "The experience". The empty space on the wall is also a reminder of the unsuccesful, but no less rewarding Moose hunts I have been on.

Martin

Posts: 168 | Location: Nokomis Florida | Registered: 15 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tapper2:
quote:

They are, to me, a lasting tribute to the beauty, strength and dignity of the creatures themselves.

They evoke in me the powerful emotions I felt as I pursued them, and killed them, in the wild.

My trophies do not pass quickly into dust, as they would have, had it not been for my intervention.

They live on, and will live on, for at least as long as I have life, and the memory and ability to tell their stories.

Mike, That's the best discription of trophy hunting I have ever heard. I am sitting here beside a 39" buff that spent ten seconds trying to kill me. We had quite a dance. In the future I may take a larger one but it will never be the "trophy" this gentleman is......Tom

Thanks, Tapper2. It's good, once in a great while, to find a kindred spirit.

Maybe I go too far, but I even keep and mount my mistakes.

I have two trophies of immature animals I have killed. One was my mistake, the other belonged mostly, but not entirely, to my PH.

I am not proud of the mistakes; quite the contrary, I regret them immensely.

I did, however, want to memorialize the game animals themselves, as the hunts were no less difficult, and my quarry no less worthy.

Plus, in their own hard way, they do remind me of the great care I must always take before I press the trigger.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13633 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fair Chase and a mature animal. The animals I take in Africa, or elsewhere will die a better death than the cruel one old age provides. They will also have a place of honor on my walls. When I die, we all will have a place on the walls of family who will respect the hunter and the hunted.

Rich
DRSS

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Tapper2:
quote:

Thanks, Tapper2. It's good, once in a great while, to find a kindred spirit.

Maybe I go too far, but I even keep and mount my mistakes.

I have two trophies of immature animals I have killed. One was my mistake, the other belonged mostly, but not entirely, to my PH.

I am not proud of the mistakes; quite the contrary, I regret them immensely.

I did, however, want to memorialize the game animals themselves, as the hunts were no less difficult, and my quarry no less worthy.

Plus, in their own hard way, they do remind me of the great care I must always take before I press the trigger.

Mike,

In my career I have made a couple of bad calls and have in the past had clients shoot immature animals. It happens now and again and can be put down as a simple mistake on my side. I recently had a chap shoot a Buffalo that was a tad soft and I could not identify this up as we were in dense shady thicket. I apologized but my client had not got a clue what I was talking about?

Like you say 'the hunts were no less difficult, and my quarry no less worthy'

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9957 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
any mature animal, legally and ethically hunted, is a trophy to me. size matters little and when I look at the heads on the wall, I can remember each and every one. some came easy and some came hard- but they ALL hold a special place in my memories. obviously I wish they were all monsters but that isn't reality and doesn't detract from the wonderful experience of being on their ground and making the shot.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13403 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote