THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Our Safari In The Moyowosi And Masailand 2010
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Our Safari In The Moyowosi And Masailand 2010
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Canuck,
Yes, that .510/450gr GSC HV at 2654 fps was a reduced load, but still the most spectacularly successful bullet failure I have ever seen.
At 105 grains plus filler, it was 10 grains of Benchmark less than the maximum of 115 grains/2835 fps MV for that bullet.
No muzzle brake with the light load, to protect the ears of the PH and videographer. Wink

I saw the clip of Chester The Molested replayed on Bwana V's video camera view finder. He got it!
When it can be viewed on the big screen with stop action or slow motion, I might be able to tell if I grazed his brisket skin,
between front legs, or maybe off to his right side, my left.
Was the shot pulled, jerked, or wobbled to the left or just a few inches low?
Chester was 150 yards.
The first buffalo was 90 yards.
He only went about 25 yards after the shot.
That is a fast kill for a heart-lung-broken-shoulder.

If that bullet had been an FN solid instead of an HV, it would have exited, but would not have killed as fast.

The cape buffalo I shot in Botswana was shot nearly identically (humerus, heart, lungs, at about 75 yards),
with a GSC FN .416/380-grainer at 2509 fps MV , exiting the far shoulder.
That buffalo bucked only once, not so vigorously as the double-buck-lunge of the clip above.
It also went fully 50 yards before dropping, instead of only 25 yards. Wink

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
"Ron Shooting a Buffalo" video clip:
Notice the little calf trying to mount his Mama just before his Daddy was struck by lightning right beside him?
That calf thought he was a BIBAMOFU, eh?

The final stalk:
To crawl on hands and knees or to scoot on butt?
That is the question.
Whether 'tis nobler to suffer a thousand stings of vegetation and rock on hands and knees, or on butt and hands?
To drag your toes behind you or push your heels ahead of you?

I carried gloves in my cargo pockets.
I should have had some knee pads there too.

I like dangling my slung rifle beneath my chest and crawling on hands and knees. I am more comfortable, a lot faster, and just as stealthy that way.
However, I kept bumping into PH Sir Paul's back with my head if not watching out.
Even a fat old man can hand-and-knee crawl faster than a butt-scooting fit young PH half his age.
hilbily

Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RIP:
"Ron Shooting a Buffalo" video clip:
Notice the little calf trying to mount his Mama just before his Daddy was struck by lightning right beside him?
That calf thought he was a BIBAMOFU, eh?

The final stalk:
To crawl on hands and knees or to scoot on butt?
That is the question.
Whether 'tis nobler to suffer a thousand stings of vegetation and rock on hands and knees, or on butt and hands?
To drag your toes behind you or push your heels ahead of you?

I carried gloves in my cargo pockets.
I should have had some knee pads there too.

I like dangling my slung rifle beneath my chest and crawling on hands and knees. I am more comfortable, a lot faster, and just as stealthy that way.
However, I kept bumping into PH Sir Paul's back with my head if not watching out.
Even a fat old man can hand-and-knee crawl faster than a butt-scooting fit young PH half his age.
hilbily

I am with you on the crawling vs butt scooting. Last year in Tanz was the first time I ever did much butt scooting and I only did it because I was borrowing Saeed's rifle (and quite thrilled to do so!) and did not want to place it on the sandy ground. At home my rifles are slung, and I do as you prefer. One thing about Africa though...despite the sand, the ground seems much harder, and hard on the knees, than the ground at home!

I just finished reviewing your other clips (picking away at them due to crappy connection speed at home). Wayne did a good job with the camera, and Saeed did a real nice job putting together a nice sized sequence!

The zebra was an impressive shot, and the zebra running toward you guys was a great finish for the camera. Smiler

What a great hog too. I can see how you misjudged the first shot. The follow up was very cool however.

Posts: 7122 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RIP:
Hi Canuck,
Yes, that .510/450gr GSC HV at 2654 fps was a reduced load, but still the most spectacularly successful bullet failure I have ever seen.
At 105 grains plus filler, it was 10 grains of Benchmark less than the maximum of 115 grains/2835 fps MV for that bullet.
No muzzle brake with the light load, to protect the ears of the PH and videographer. Wink

Interesting....I would have expected a full house load with that reaction. In 2006 I took 3 buff with the 470 Mbogo and 500gr SAF's at 2500 fps and the reaction from those buff was not as impressive...even on the follow up to the spine on one of them.

Posts: 7122 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Interesting....I would have expected a full house load with that reaction. In 2006 I took 3 buff with the 470 Mbogo and 500gr SAF's at 2500 fps and the reaction from those buff was not as impressive...even on the follow up to the spine on one of them.

Practice, gentlemen, practice.

That is what you need to do to get buffalo to drop in their tracks clap

It is not the size or weight of the bullet that does.

I am absolutely convinced that those buffalo would have dropped just as fast if I had used a 308 Winchester.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68792 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Ladies and Gentlemen,

I am almost through making the final video set of our hunt this year.

I had a bit of a hiccup because something must have gone wrong with one of our video cameras, and I was not able to read some of the tapes.

So the only solution is to try to capture the video using the camera that produced the tapes.

So Isent the tapes to Alan in Zimbabwe, and spoke to him this morning that he had received them, and was able to capture the footage.

He is sending the footage back today, so as soon as it get here I will try to finish the rest of the project as soon as I can.

This year I thought I will do 2 version of the hunt.

One is on normal DVDs that one can play on the TV set, and one set in 1440x720p high definition that one can either watch on his computer, or connect the computer to his HD TV to watch.

Last year we sent out several hundred sets of our hunt, so I am going to ask those who wish to have a set of this year's hunt, to send me a PM - no email requests please - only PMs.

With your mailing address, and which version of the DVDs would you prefer to have.

I am going to process your requests on a first come first serve basis.

I will post informatiosn when the project is finished, and teh shipping has started.

I hope you enjoy this year's safari.

This is going to be our belated Christmas gift to you.

Posts: 68792 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of peterdk
posted Hide Post
saeed

PM on the way, and thank you for doing this for us.

Merry christmas

Peter

Posts: 1336 | Location: denmark | Registered: 01 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed, PM sent, thanks again for sharing your adventures with all of us.

Posts: 273 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 08 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
PM sent Saeed. Many thanks and warm regards

Saeed Ansari

posted Hide Post
PM sent Saeed.
Merry Christmas

Ladislav Mesaros

Posts: 15 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 07 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of RobinOLocksley
posted Hide Post
PM on its way,Saeed.Thank you.

"Early in the morning, at break of day, in all the freshness and dawn of one's strength, to read a book - I call that vicious!"- Friedrich Nietzsche

Posts: 813 | Location: Sherwood Forest | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
PM sent, thank you

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
PM sent. Looking forward to seeing your videos, they are enjoyable and well made.

Posts: 76 | Location: INDIA | Registered: 27 July 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I am a bit surprised on the choices I am getting.

So far;

12 of you requested the HD version.
33 have requested the DVD version.

It looks like there going to be 5 parts to this year's safari.

I have included quite a few clips of wildlife and scenery as well.

Parts 1,2 and 4 have been copied and ready.
Part 5 should be ready tomorrow.
Part 3 is partly done, Imam waiting for the footage to come back from Alan to finish it off.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
quote:
(Canuck)Interesting....I would have expected a full house load with that reaction. In 2006 I took 3 buff with the 470 Mbogo and 500gr SAF's at 2500 fps and the reaction from those buff was not as impressive...even on the follow up to the spine on one of them.

I am absolutely convinced that those buffalo would have dropped just as fast if I had used a 308 Winchester.

So I will be fine if I stick to .375 and .395 caliber rifles henceforth.
That's a good thing since I am getting old so fast.
Only a stunt shooter or a PH needs anything bigger. tu2

Speaking of Professional Hunters, Sir Paul Olivier sends a remarkable photograph he snapped on an early morning boat trip,
down the Malagarasi River,
Tanzania, November 2010,
with holiday season's greetings to all the members of accuratereloading.com:

Thanks, again, Santa Saeed.

Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:

LOL. Well, there is no way I am going to argue about that. Big Grin

And you know, I try to practice as much as I can. I put 6 bullets in one buffalo last year! rotflmo I should have told Paul and Wayne that I was just trying to get as much practice as I could. Big Grin

Cheers
Chris

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A PM was just sent. Thank you very much for the service. This is my fist post ever.

Posts: 51 | Location: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: 15 December 2010Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I have just received the captured tapes back from Alan, and would try to finish this project in the next few days.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
PM sent. Thank you very much Saeed.

Mike

Posts: 72 | Location: grand rapids michigan usa | Registered: 28 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
PM sent. Thank you Saeed.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
pm sent, thank you Saeed

Posts: 332 | Location: eastern oregon usa | Registered: 21 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
PM sent, and another big thank you!

Arild Iversen.

Posts: 1880 | Location: Southern Coast of Norway. | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of samir
posted Hide Post
Saeed,
Beautiful photos. Thanks for sharing tu2

DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

Posts: 1436 | Location: San Diego | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Apparently some of you are wondering if my hunt report is finished.

No, by a long shot.

I have many more photos to go through, and videos as well.

Also, Dubai beingt what it is, a melting pot of humanity, we are being invited to Christmas parties starting from early December, and ending sometime in January!

The only person I know who is happy about this is Walter. This apparently fits in with his idea of life.

Non-stop partying with plenty of food, especially dessert!

Yesterday I finally managed to finish the video, ending with 6 DVDs.

I have tried to leave as much of the actually trip, showing the whole safari, not just the hunting bits.

Again, Walter has complained that I have removed too much!?

I have so far received requests for the follwoing:

36 sets of the HD version
76 sets of DVDs.

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Saeed
PM sent. thanks

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11253 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Saeed,
Being the all-around superhuman that you are, I trust you will survive the holidays and get your Santa Claus chores done too.
All the good boys and girls, and bad ones too, are counting on you to survive the ordeal, even having to "ordeal" with Walter. Wink

I am suffering too, and I do not even have to "ordeal" with Walter.
I have year-end professional responsibilities to get caught up on, due to having been laid up with "major surgery" two months before taking off another month for "major safari."
I had the worst of years going there for a while, until you turned it into the best of years.
I am rehabilitated now, and I owe you more than I can say, let alone repay.

Best,
Ron

Administrator
posted Hide Post
I finally managed to cut a few more clips to post for your enjoyment.

I am in the process of uploading to our server right now, but the connection is a bit slow, and the files are quite large due to the HD content.

You got to laugh at this.

Earlier today, Walter, his wife, his son, and his wife came over.

Walter's son's wife was looking at some of our old hunting photos, and saw one where Walter had his head in a croc's mouth, with me holding the upper jaw open.

She asked her husband "Is that croc alive?"
He answered "No, it is dead!"
She said "You never know with these two!"

I suppose me and Walter should take that as a compliment!

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Yes you should! Don't you know that the two of you together are "one of a kind"? Big Grin By the way we're all looking forward to more pics and clips! tu2

Administrator
posted Hide Post
I have added a few more videos.

It might sound as if we were in a raging war from the number of shots we fired at that buffalo we hunted on Mount Gelai. The last few shots were fired at him while he was on the ground. But due to the bad visibility, we did not want to take any chances, and kept firing as long as we saw movement.

We hunted that small patch for a day and half, getting to almost touching distance with buffalo, but never getting a chance to see one for a shot.

Also, you might notice that we could see the buffalo from the top of the mountain, and under normal circumstances I would have shot him from there.

But, again, due to the extremely bad visibility, I did not want to take a chance at a long range shot where we have to go and look for him in an area like that.

One would have to step on the buffalo before seeing him.

Walter heared our story, and saw the video, and decide that we ARE mad.

Apparently this has removed any inkling he had tha5t we might, just might, have a tiny bit of sense in us.

He said "You three are getting worse every day! Absolutely, completely, BRAINELESS!"

I said "Very true. Otherwise we would not have you as our friend, would we!"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sheikh Saeed, the video link of the Buffalo is not working. Thank you for the other videos.

Posts: 51 | Location: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: 15 December 2010Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SSG Police:
Sheikh Saeed, the video link of the Buffalo is not working. Thank you for the other videos.

Thank you for letting me know this.

I have fixed it.

It should work now.

one of us
Picture of DMCI*
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am a bit surprised on the choices I am getting.

So far;

12 of you requested the HD version.
33 have requested the DVD version.

Saeed:

I know my computer will play the DVD version. I am not familiar with what it takes to play the HD disk. Can you help me with this decision?

Thanks.

D.

--------------------

EGO sum bastard ut does frendo

Posts: 2821 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 23 September 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
DVDs have a maximum resolution of 720 pixels. And any DVD is playable on desktop machines as well as DVD drives in computers.

The HD version is in HD, at 1280 pixel resolution. It is foremat as the video clips I have posted above.

Any computer with Windows will play them, as they are in .WMV format.

You can also play the HD WMV verwsion on your TV set if it has a connection for your comnputer.

Some of the latest laptops have an HDMI connection, which is specifically made for connecting to high definition TVs.

I hope this answers your question.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for sharing your safari with us. Great photos and video. tu2 Once I started looking I couldn't quit. Your videos put commercial versions to shame. Some chores got neglected today! Smiler

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Best advice ever tu2

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
PM away and thanks again for your generosity. For some of us this is as close as we will get to an African hunt.

Von Gruff.

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2693 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DMCI*
posted Hide Post
quote:

I hope this answers your question.

Perfect. Thank you.

I will request HD version.

D.

--------------------

EGO sum bastard ut does frendo

Posts: 2821 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 23 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sheikh Saeed,
That was a spooky scene, before and after the buffalo raised his head and bellowed his final ... after the ninth shot!
Eeker
The multiple insurance installments were well paid, the final premium into his neck at close range. And still he raised his head and bellowed!
Eeker
That was the toughest bull I have ever seen.
And he was breathing air at 9000 feet.
Incredible. His carcass had multiple lethal hits and still he continued.

If you had not been using the all around best "African Sheep Rifle" ever (aka "African Mountain Buffalo Rifle"), your .375/.404 Jeffery,
things might not have ended so well.
thumb

Administrator
posted Hide Post
I have added 3 more video clips.

One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
Incredible report and even more incredible photos!!

Thank you very much for sharing them with us.

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3110 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote