THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Our Safari In The Moyowosi And Masailand 2010
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Our Safari In The Moyowosi And Masailand 2010
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
Saeed,
The videos work. All very nicely.
How much of a lead did you put on that warthog? clap

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RIP:
Saeed,
The videos work. All very nicely.
How much of a lead did you put on that warthog? clap

Well, according to your friend Walter, I actually missed what I was aiming at.

He asked where did I aim. And I told him about a foot ahead of the pig.

"You see! I told you you missed what you were shooting at. You flinched. And the piggy ran into the bullet."

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68788 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
with friends like Walter what else can a man ask for Big Grin you never have to worry about becoming self centered he will alway bring you down to earth!! of course he may drop you on your head when he does but HEY what are friends for rotflmo rotflmo

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I have added part 8 of our hunt report.

Posts: 68788 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
clap All working nicely. Fantastic!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed, will you be making a DVD set for this years hunt, like last year for us to enjoy over Christmas? I hope so.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bengaltiger:
Saeed, will you be making a DVD set for this years hunt, like last year for us to enjoy over Christmas? I hope so.

Yes, but it is not going to be ready for Christmas I am afraid.

I am doing the video right now, and have done enough to fill one double layer DVD - about 100 minutes.

I am in the second one right now, but have to do it in bits and pieces as time permits.

I will post about it once it is all ready.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
I have added 7 more video clips for your enjoyment.

Please let me know if you have any problems downloading them.

one of us
Picture of Prewar70
posted Hide Post
Saeed,

I've watched about every video you've posted over the years. You've made a lot of great shots. It seems that even the very tough buffalo isn't immune to a well placed bullet and dropping on the spot. This has been proven again on your most recent safari. So here's my question.

Is there an animal that you have taken a number of times (good sample size) that refuses to drop on the spot (excluding a brain shot) even if it travels just a short distance? Thanks.

Posts: 895 | Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota | Registered: 13 July 2004Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I think you are referring to the number of buffalo that I have shot that drop at the shot.

All these are shot in the spine, head or neck. And any other animal would have dropped just like them if they had been hit in the same place.

The heart/lung shot very rarely drops an animal in his tracks.

If the distance is not too great, I try to shoot an animal so it drops where it stands. This really requires an accurate rifle and a good rest.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed, you are being too modest. You might have a little bit to contribute to do with the accuracy also?

Posts: 273 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 08 October 2008Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tracker49:
Saeed, you are being too modest. You might have a little bit to contribute to do with the accuracy also?

That is true.

But, anyone who goes hunting should be familiar with his rifle, and knows how to use it, and shoots it accuraterly.

This is one of the main reasons where I think most people are better off using a 375 for dangerous game hunting rather than try and use a bigger caliber.

I know, there are many people who CAN shoot the bigger calibers very accurately.

But that vast majority of those who take a larger caliber to Africa cannot.

They take a larger caliber with the unfounded notion that a misplaced shot with it, will be better than with a smaller caliber.

This, of course, is far from the truth.

Killing any animal requires the destruction of a vital function for it.

Hitting it anywhere else is not going to be of much help at all.

The above is purely my own opinion, so I hope we do not get into that "bigger is better"caliber argument.

Hunt with whatever rifle or caliber you can shoot well.

one of us
posted Hide Post
2010zebra2 shot by Saeed is a great argument for the ".375 Super."

Saeed had to do a followup shot from prone!

First shot:
The atmospheric shock wave of the bullet can be watched heading down range to the center of the zebra's chest.
Looked like a good hit.
In realtime, the impact was delayed enough for Saeed to lift his eyes away from the rifle to watch the impact with naked eye.

The followup shot unfortunately was recorded with a video of Saeed's gillie-suited backside, lying prone.
Video man was standing behind dangling the camera, focusing it at the small of Saeed's back.
Was the distracted videographer using his naked eye to watch the zebra, and forgot the zoom-in function of the video camera.
Well, I was impressed too, and that is the kind of camera work I would have done too, most likely! Smiler

500 yards?

What can I duplicate Saeed's ".375 Super" performance with?
.378 Weatherby Magnum of course, but that is more than needed.

Better:
.375 Weatherby
.375 RUM
.375/.338 Lapua Magnum
I've got all of those above, but ...

Best: .375/404 Jeffery
Classiest of the bunch.
That might inspire knife and fork work at the meal table like a European, instead of the zig-zag American style.
It would certainly produce the pronunciation of punda malia as "zehbra" instead of "zeebra."
Aluminium instead of aluminum? Never!!!
Sir Humphrey Davey first named it "alumium" in 1805. He corrected it to "aluminum" by 1807.
The "aluminium" corruption came later, worldwide. America finally corrected back to "aluminum" in the early 1900s. rotflmo

Back to Saeed's excellent spine/brain one shot drop techniques:
I noticed that Walter seemed to be practicing a variation of that technique, using a jugular/carotid neck shot.
This usually did not drop the animal at impact, but it was quickly lethal by hemorrhage.

I was taught a new technique by my PH in Tanzania.
Closing in on a baboon that held a coconut-like palm nut in front of his chest, sitting on his haunches, chewing, PH said:
"Shoot him in the nut."
I did.
Split the nut and the baboon heart with one shot:

Here he is, I'm calling him "Hamlet" for a full body mount.
The first baboon I took on this trip will be a skull mount called "Yorick." Wink

Administrator
posted Hide Post
The zebra was actualy lying down as I fired the second shot at him, and one can hear the bullet connect a little bit later.

That wasn't necessary, as the first bullet did hit in the chest, and I think he would have died by the time we got to him without being shot again.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice Baboon. I may be crazy but I really like to shoot Baboons

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ddrhook,
The trackers and skinners seemed to have a lot of fun on the baboon hunts. Me too! beer

Saeed,
I am convinced that you are a machine!
A computerized ballistic robot!
Congratulations on your excellent shooting as usual! clap
Estimated time of flight for a ballistic coefficient of .458 at 2750 fps and standard atmospheric conditions:
400 yards: 0.51 seconds
500 yards: 0.66 seconds
For the sound of the bullet whack to return from those ranges would be more than a second added onto that.

What range do you estimate for that first chest shot?

I tried stopping the video play as the shock wave streaks into the center of the zehbra chest:
A big bulge is seen briefly expanding then contracting at the bottom of the zehbra chest/abdomen.
Is this just a belly bulge (like a hernia) from temporary wound cavity expansion and recoil?
Did that first bullet stay in or exit?
It is tough sorting through 19,000 photos for wound and recovered bullet pictures ... lessee ... zehbra #2? ... week number which?

Administrator
posted Hide Post
We thought he was over 400 yards away.
I aimed at about the hight of his head, above his back, and hit him low in the chest.

The second shot was closer, but we could hear the bullet hit better. I don't know what the reason for that.

Trouble with us three, anything that requires you to aim above the animal, we call it "donkey's miles away", and one has to make the necessary adjustments.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
I have added 3 more clips.

One is of Walter on the plane on our way to Dar Essalam. As he usually does, he broke the door that seperates him from the corridor.

One is of gerenuk feeding.

And the one titled Shakes shows what rifle scopes endure on the back of the truck.

In fact, if someone knows anyone at Leupold, they might be interested in seeing how well their scopes last.

I have two Leupold scopes 2.5-8X, on my two rifles for many years. They have never needed any adjustment once they are set.

That is why I think there are no better scopes for hunting than Leupold.

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
quote:

Aluminium instead of aluminum? Never!!!
Sir Humphrey Davey first named it "alumium" in 1805. He corrected it to "aluminum" by 1807.
The "aluminium" corruption came later, worldwide. America finally corrected back to "aluminum" in the early 1900s. ......

Interesting info. I wonder what Napoleon called it when it was so rare a metal that it was more expensive than gold! he even had a a set of cutlery made for his dinner service in aluminium!!

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11250 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
ddrhook,
I tried stopping the video play as the shock wave streaks into the center of the zehbra chest:
A big bulge is seen briefly expanding then contracting at the bottom of the zehbra chest/abdomen.
Is this just a belly bulge (like a hernia) from temporary wound cavity expansion and recoil?
Did that first bullet stay in or exit?

Another interesting observation. I wonder if there are any known or new theories on this phenomenon.

I know if an incident when we were hunting white tails in Stewart Island in NZ... a friend of mine shot a doe on the run under the tail with a 30'06 180 gr Norma plastic point nickel bullet. The doe collapsed in mid stride. we went up to it & found the belly was split open from ribs to groin & thought the wound was caused by the exiting bullet. Later when butchering the animal we found the mushroom in the off shoulder! So the ripped belly was caused by the shock of the expanding bullet!

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11250 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I have added 3 clips of a group of Masai who came over to see us when Roy shot a wildebeast by the shore of Lake Natron.

Their dogs were so happy to get some meat, they ate the liver, then started on the guts and intestines.

The young Masai were having lots of fun seeing themselves in the video camera screen.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Price of getting Maasai on camera: Haunch of wildebeest?

Look on their faces when they first see themselves in the viewfinder of the video camera: Priceless! clap

Maasai sandals: Steel-belted radials?

The usual three-piece Maasai spear has a visible short wooden midsection with jamb-fitted long-blade point and a steel base shaft.
This warrior's spear seems to be hiding its wood and looks like steel blade and steel base meet in the middle.
Must be the latest high tech, so the old ones with the visible wood in the middle are sold off to tourists, like Walter and me?

Nakihunter,
I read about Napoleon's fetish for aluminum, when I was researching its changing pronunciation.

AL-YOO-MIN'-EE-UM (aluminium) must be what the Americans also called that precious stuff in the mid 1800s when they capped the Washington monument with a little pyramid of it, eh?
It was the latest fad then.
Now it is just UH-LOO'-MIN-NUM (aluminum), the most common metal in the crust of the earth?

I shot a deer (a small fallow doe) at 342 yards with a .416 Rigby (350-grain X-bullet at 2700 fps MV, using a tree and my hat for a rest) and its belly split open too, from a hit low in the chest. Eeker

Administrator
posted Hide Post
I have added part nine.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bravo IX clap

Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Bravo IX clap

Ditto....possibly best ever! The pics are stunning Saeed. tu2

Posts: 7122 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Do I get the impression that you want to see more pictures?

I am having a bit of a fight with walter.

Since a few years back, he has become totally useless as far as taking photos is concerned.

He has taken a grand total of about 160 photos during the whole 21 day safari.

I have asked him on numerous occasions that he needs to take more pictures, or he does not get any of ours.

This year I am keeping my promise.
I will give him all the rejects.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Saeed,
Good! Walter gets what he deserves!
Of the thousands of pictures and video I shot, I have seen at least two or three of my pictures and some of my video (Walter's Tommie) spliced into your presentations.

I thank you very much for allowing me access to all of the pictures, can't wait to see more of the video than the clips presented here.
I think Bwana V (Wayne James) got more than 10 hours of professional quality stuff.

There are plenty of rejects in my "work" shot on the fly from moving bakkie, out of focus and tilted and wiggly. Be sure Walter gets those.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Ron,

I am going through Wayne's videos right now. He has some great wildlife footage, which I am including on our DVDs.

I have edited close to 7 hours of final videos so far, and there a few more tapes to go through.

I have already burnt 2 master DVDs, which are going to be used to make copies from.

Walter was here earlier while I was going through some of his hunts.

It is quite a job trying to make some sense out of his hunting, but he seems to be very happy with the final outcome.

He said "just make sure you take out all my misses. And make sure you include all the walking I had to do!"

one of us
posted Hide Post
Walter bagged 7 animals.
He was so gung ho that I feared for his life! We had to beg him to stop and rest to catch his breath and take a nitroglycerin when he really got the blood-trail-frenzy a few times.
That was truly dangerous game hunting for Walter. He is the bravest man I know!

My first day of hunting I was captured on video, lying on my back in the bullrushes of "Hades," dressed in a gillie suit, snoring ...
Yep, Wayne got me. Paul was taking forever to glass the herd of buffalo.
I was still jet-lagged, it was 4 AM for me, high noon for the buffalo.
I was supremely tuckered out by wading about a quarter mile in Hades, being an out-of-shape fat old fart.
So I decided to rest my eyes a bit ... sawing logs in Hades ... ZZZ ...
Just wondering if that one will make the cut?

Stop-action study of my two buffalo "hits" will be informative, someday ...

Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
Do I get the impression that you want to see more pictures?

I am having a bit of a fight with walter.

Since a few years back, he has become totally useless as far as taking photos is concerned.

He has taken a grand total of about 160 photos during the whole 21 day safari.

I have asked him on numerous occasions that he needs to take more pictures, or he does not get any of ours.

This year I am keeping my promise.
I will give him all the rejects.

You know me Saeed...can never get enough of the pics and videos! Smiler

I agree with Ron...Walter needs to reap what he has sown! LOL. He has more cameras with him on Safari than you can keep track of, and takes next to no photos. His photo to camera ratio is off the charts low. lol

Posts: 7122 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Walter bagged 7 animals.
He was so gung ho that I feared for his life! We had to beg him to stop and rest to catch his breath and take a nitroglycerin when he really got the blood-trail-frenzy a few times.
That was truly dangerous game hunting for Walter. He is the bravest man I know!

My first day of hunting I was captured on video, lying on my back in the bullrushes of "Hades," dressed in a gillie suit, snoring ...
Yep, Wayne got me. Paul was taking forever to glass the herd of buffalo.
I was still jet-lagged, it was 4 AM for me, high noon for the buffalo.
I was supremely tuckered out by wading about a quarter mile in Hades, being an out-of-shape fat old fart.
So I decided to rest my eyes a bit ... sawing logs in Hades ... ZZZ ...
Just wondering if that one will make the cut?

Stop-action study of my two buffalo "hits" will be informative, someday ...

Wayne misses very little with that camera. Smiler I am glad that Saeed was kind to me in the final cut of the video last year.

I am glad Walter had you along to keep an eye on him!!!

Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have edited close to 7 hours of final videos so far, and there a few more tapes to go through.

I have already burnt 2 master DVDs, which are going to be used to make copies from.

Awesome! I am more excited than usual to see the videos. The photos have been exceptional and a real teaser for the video to come!

posted Hide Post
You Gentlemen have noooooooooo idea what a challenge Walter is............never know when one is going to see a moment of truly mind blowing humour/remarkable hunting/unbelievable bushcraft..........a challenge to say the least............but always an honour to be present.....!!!

Posts: 22 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 15 February 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by captureyourhunt:
You Gentlemen have noooooooooo idea what a challenge Walter is............never know when one is going to see a moment of truly mind blowing humour/remarkable hunting/unbelievable bushcraft..........a challenge to say the least............but always an honour to be present.....!!!

Wayne,

Spending a few days chasing animals in Africa gives one a very small idea of what Walter is like.

You should spend the whole year with him to get the complete picture!

Trying to edit Walter's hunts is an exercise in futulity!

I have to go backwards and forwards to find the footage that has any meaning to the hunt being filmed, and trying to make sure the viewers can make any sense out of it.

Mind you, he is being unusually nice to me while I am doing the video and he watches..

He started his usual "you are the nastiest person in existence" routine.

I kept my mouth shup, cut all the good bits off the video, and left all the shots where he missed, all the wounded animals, all those Paul had to finish off.

"This is the reject, right?"
"No, you have given me such a bad reputaion, I am going to live up to it now and have these in the final video! You don't like what I am doing, you can edit it yourself!"

"Come on Saeed. My DEAR friend Saeed. My BEST friend Saeed. Every year before you have made me look like a REAL hunter. And people have come to know me as ONE SHOT WALTER. Please don't ruin my reputation now"

" I am not ruining anything. I am just going to show how bad a hunter you are. In glorious high definition. People will finally know you for what you are!"

"Oh shit! I have been wikileaked!"

We had some friend here while this was going on.
One had just taken a mouthful of coke.
He spit it out all over the place laughing!
Luckily the other's did not have their mouths full.

Finally I got him under control again.
This will continue util the video is finished.
Then he will start his old routine again.

Last year, he watched what he called "his hunts", and was so impressed of how he looked in them, he got carried away and said "Saeed, you are sooo good at making me look so good in the video, now you can just replace yourself with me in ALL the hunts"

"And how would you look if I did that while Roy is calling you Saeed? while you are in the video?"

"Typical Roy! If he kept his mouth shut we would not have this problem"

It is going to be a long video this year, as I have enough material now to fill at least 5 2-hour DVDs!

There is so much great footage, of both hunting, wildlife and scenery, that I don't think I can cut more and make the video meaningful.

Mind you, I have friends here who know nothing about hunting, but sit totally engrossed watching the finished clips, and they seem to love them.

So I imagine hunters will enjoy them too.
And I thin k most of the video credit must go to you Wayne.

You have done a GREAT job of taking so much footage of wildlife and the surrounding country.

Roy wasn't given any chance of doing much of that.

Poor guy was at the receiving end of none stop pranks, and Alan did not help him either!

Alan kept saying to him "you deserve what you get! Remember how to used to chew us all up?"

I am uploading some fo Ron's hunts right now, and will link them up once all the files cross the Atlantic.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
I have added 4 videos of Ron's hunt.

posted Hide Post
rotflmo
I can only imagine the shenanigans going on during that editing process Saeed, and I certainly do not envy you going through all that footage.One things for sure....never a dull moment from start to finish. My thanks to you for the opportunities to be part of this travelling roadshow! tu2
Please pass on my best regards to the great "1(or 2 or 3) shot Walter"

Posts: 22 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 15 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Saeed and Wayne:

Great work! You are both real "Pro's". clap
My only misspeak in the clips was calling the GSC bullet an FN instead of the HV: It was the .510/450-grain HV that killed the buffalo.
all the other critters fell to the .395/310-gr S&H "Custom HX."

Now that I am an Honorary Bedouin, I have given up pork and alcohol. I snack on sliced limes with Tabasco sauce and salt. I have lost 4 more pounds in the last month ... rotflmo

The footage of me molesting "Chester The Second Buffalo" is going to be a great one, someday ... Big Grin

Many thanks, again.

One of Us
Picture of RobinOLocksley
posted Hide Post
The latest addition is nothing less than magnificent.Superb photos that capture the landscape and its denizens.Thank you for posting these pictures.

BTW, I wonder how the cohabitation of the Masai and their cattle/goat herds affect the wildlife.

Also, how is the water in those little streams?Good to drink?

Best-
Locksley,R.

"Early in the morning, at break of day, in all the freshness and dawn of one's strength, to read a book - I call that vicious!"- Friedrich Nietzsche

Posts: 812 | Location: Sherwood Forest | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
"Oh shit! I have been wikileaked!"

I nearly choked on my drink when I read that too!

Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
The footage of me molesting "Chester The Second Buffalo" is going to be a great one, someday ... Big Grin

Many thanks, again.

The footage of you rocking that first buffalo is pretty darn impressive! That buff really reacted to the shots. The 500 Mbogo is a force to be reckoned with!! Good shootin' too. Smiler