THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Mlele 2022 Live Report! Videos Have Been Added on First Post
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mlele 2022 Live Report! Videos Have Been Added on First Post
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fulvio:
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
Have no idea of the new concession.

We are booked to hunt there next year.

In its heyday Madaba was an Elephant haven in particular and there was no shortage of Buffalo which are your main ingredient.

Am not sure how the Elephant populations fared during the poaching era in MA1 but am pleased to say that we have have noticed a marked improvement in Elephant numbers in the block adjacent to MA1 which shares the same ecosystem.

Thanks for the update Fulvio.

Are the elephants in the adjoining area mostly made up of young breeding herds and young bulls?

Posts: 1862 | Location: St. Charles, MO | Registered: 02 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Are the elephants in the adjoining area mostly made up of young breeding herds and young bulls?

Yes, we noticed an unusually high density of movement of small herds and groups of young bulls compared to last year which I believe can only be attributed to the massive deforestation which has taken place in the dam project basin and the ongoing works, forcing the elephants which inhabited the area to relocate and heading south was their only option.

On a pleasant note though, they appeared not easily spooked which in my opinion is a sign that ivory poaching has relented and these pachyderms have found solace and tranquility.

Most of the groups of young bulls we encountered were in the 20/25lb bracket, though we did come across several single bulls that were within our legal requirements (on weight).

It is very likely therefore that MA1 which I believe has not been excessively hunted by its former owner may once again see an elephant "renaissance".

Posts: 1904 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Yes, we noticed an unusually high density of movement of small herds and groups of young bulls compared to last year which I believe can only be attributed to the massive deforestation which has taken place in the dam project basin and the ongoing works, forcing the elephants which inhabited the area to relocate and heading south was their only option.

On a pleasant note though, they appeared not easily spooked which in my opinion is a sign that ivory poaching has relented and these pachyderms have found solace and tranquility.

Most of the groups of young bulls we encountered were in the 20/25lb bracket, though we did come across several single bulls that were within our legal requirements (on weight).

It is very likely therefore that MA1 which I believe has not been excessively hunted by its former owner may once again see an elephant "renaissance".

I think the poaching was brought under control by 2015. It will be some time until those young bulls grow up, but the recovery is happening it sounds like.

Thank you!

Posts: 1862 | Location: St. Charles, MO | Registered: 02 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Looking forward to finding out first hand. I’ll be there with Alan next August, last half and into early September.

Posts: 3855 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DLS:
quote:
quote:

Looking forward to finding out first hand. I’ll be there with Alan next August, last half and into early September.

You can shoot all the biggest bulls.

Just leave the ones with broken horns, or no horns, for me please!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66946 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed & DLS

Already looking forward to your 23’ reports

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,

I have started adding videos on the first post.

Posts: 66946 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Friend of mine has ONLY hunted these blocks some years ago!! He called it "a real garden of Eden!!" He was always successful on BIG Buff.
Rauol used to say "I have the most expensive Safaris in Africa!!"
It is expensive, but I think Masailand probably holds that title now, with Raoul!!
I am looking forward to doing " an experience the Selous" there with a partner mid to end July.

CheerZ,

470EDDY

Posts: 2561 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Saeed,
I have been remiss in not saying well done!

What a splendid safari — congratulations!

Thank you kindly for sharing it with us. Smiler

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36556 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
This is our second and last hunt at Mlele.

A great area for buffalo and sable.

On our last day of hunting we must have seen at least 8 very good bulls!!

This reminds me of Matetsi in the 80's.

Lots of buffalo, especially old bulls.

Due to the terrain, we have not walked as much as we usually do.

I think the most we have walked in one day was 15 kilometers.

So many small streams, lots of water, but no large river.

The diversity of animals is not as good as the Selous.

Last year we saw one impala ram.

Everyone was surprised when I saw, look, an impala!

Lots of duikers and bushpigs.

We all enjoyed hunting Mlele, but I think we would prefer the Selous.

The icing on the cake this year is being able to shoot two old lions and a leoprad without setting foot in a blind.

We had a zebra bait on a tree in a river bed for leopard.

We took another zebra bait to add to it in case it was eaten.

We stopped the truck a few hundred yards from the bait in the morning, quite late as the sun was already up.

We walked to the bait, and as we got within about 100 yards of it, the leopard was lying in the grass very close by and growling at us!!

We carried on and found that the bait was eaten.

We called our truck to come with the replacement bait.

As we were standing by the blind - wasn't much of a blind really, just a wall made of grass with a shooting hole in it.

Roy saw the leopard walk right in front of us down in the river bed.

A few minutes later 3 old buffalo bulls passed by too!!

We were debating whether to go after them.

Decided to put the bait up and then go chase them.

The trackers arrived and put the new bait up on the tree.

They also styarted to enlarge the grass wall, working right in view of the bait.

We were a few yards back by the truck.

Suddenly Lema, our driver, comes running to tell us the leopard was actually on the bait!!??

We went to have a look.

Nuni, one of the trackers, was lying down in front of the grass wall, in full view of the leopard.

We asked them to leave with the car, and stayed behind to see if the leopard would come back.

Sure enough, 10 minutes he was on the bait.

He got up and was looking straight at us.

Roy had the video camera but was sitting down.

I was worried by the time he got up, the leopard might run away.

I fired at him and he dropped from the tree growling.

He ran a few yards into a gulley and died.

Maktoum and Pete shot a buffalo.

They put part of it up for lion bait.

They told us the lion was close by.

We went there after lunch, and moved the bait to another location.

It was late in the afternoon.

We were behind a large tree.

We saw the lion coming straight towards us.

We hid behind the tree and waited.

He got to about 80 yards, and stopped.

He was looking towards us and not sure if he could come any closer.

He was facing us, and about to turn.

I fired a shot at him.

He took off to our right, and Alan screaming for me to shoot him again.

No chance, too many obstructions.

There was some growling for a few seconds, then silence.

Our trackers arrived.

Cautiously we followed where the lion has gone.

No blood at all, but we were almost certain he was done for.

We found that he ran about 0 yards and died in long grass.

not visible until you are almost on top of him.

The second lion was in the morning.

We went to look at the bait, and saw him walking not far from it.

We decided to see if we could get close and may be get a shot.

We kept getting closer, but not much chance of a shot as he always ley in the grass, and when he moved quickly hidden in the bush.

Eventually we got to about 40 yards, him lying down looking at us.

There was a gap to shoot if he got up.

We stopped and waited, as he got up I fired.

He ran a few yards and that was it.

Leopard was hit broadside, and the bullet exit making a large hole in his chest, part of his lungs were hanging out.

First lion was hit in the front of the chest.

Bullet was found under the skin just ahead of his balls.

Second one was hit in a similar place.

Bullet was found in his back leg.

Our AR NO MISS bullets worked as designed.

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Saeed, your experience is the same as mine has been, although mine has been spread out over many years and different places.

When the cats decide to come, it will be unexpected, and fast.

Congrats on your great good luck this time around. tu2

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13389 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
The long hours I have stayed in blinds, the long tracking of lions.

All were fun and part of hunting.

Getting an easy break is great too.

One of Us
Picture of RobinOLocksley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Getting an easy break is great too.

tu2

"Early in the morning, at break of day, in all the freshness and dawn of one's strength, to read a book - I call that vicious!"- Friedrich Nietzsche

Posts: 785 | Location: Sherwood Forest | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed, I am unable to download or watch the videos that you posted in the top post. Would it be possible to check if the links are working? Thank you.

"Early in the morning, at break of day, in all the freshness and dawn of one's strength, to read a book - I call that vicious!"- Friedrich Nietzsche

Posts: 785 | Location: Sherwood Forest | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hannay
posted Hide Post
The problem with the videos is that the link starts with https:// instead of http:// I'm able to view all the videos by manually adjusting the URL.

I'll give a try posting the correct links here:

One

Two

Three

Four

Five

I hope this works for everyone.

Posts: 676 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 27 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hannay:
The problem with the videos is that the link starts with https:// instead of http:// I'm able to view all the videos by manually adjusting the URL.

One

Thank you very much.They work now.

Two

Three

Four

Five

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hannay
posted 02 November 2022 02:51

One

Two

Three

Four

Five

Yes, perfect. Thanks Hannay

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2018 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Saeed,

great hunt and great pictures, exspacialy with the drone (DJI?)

Please:
What kind of modell did you use in this year?
And:
How difficult is it to get the papers that you can use it?
(At customs, pp.)

Thank you.
Best wishes.
F.