Buffalo fight to the death,photos
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of TOP_PREDATOR
posted
I'm not sure if these photos have been posted here before bewildered

"Never in the field of human conflict
was so much owed by so many to so few." Sir Winston Churchill

Posts: 1878 | Location: Throughout the British Empire | Registered: 08 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
WOW! Eeker
Did the buff survive? were they dead when found of did they have to be killed?
thanks for posting these amazing pics

Posts: 78 | Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario | Registered: 22 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
those are some amazing photos!! Thank you for sharing them with us!! WOW

Posts: 2163 | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
Yup, stuck, and no way out. Thanks for posting.

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Something I never thought I would see. What are the odds. That is amazing.

Usually only antlered species get "hung up", I have heard that it is possible with Kudu, in the right circumstances, but Buffalo?

Wow.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gimme a break...this is as phony as a three dollar bill. Not a mark on either animal. Obviosly posed.

DC300

Posts: 334 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 12 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
I'd hate to run up against the guy that could man handle those buffalo and pose them like that.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Woodmnctry
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DC300:
Gimme a break...this is as phony as a three dollar bill. Not a mark on either animal. Obviosly posed.

Guess they must have moved the equipment out of sight and covered the tracks ---eh?

OMG!-- my bow is "pull-push feed" - how dreadfully embarrasing!!!!!

Posts: 932 | Location: 8K Ft in Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Looks to me as though each bull may have scored a skull penetration.

They are so well matched, they could be brothers!

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure even "Ahhnold" in his prime could have arrainged thos buffalo.

Wait, I did see "Terminator" never mind, he could.

I'd guess those pictures were genuine. I don't see the profit in spending the time and effort to pose the two in such a fashion. They are bloating and loosing fluid from the nose and back end so I'd guess they've been dead hours.

Posts: 9424 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow, James !!! What an amazing set of pictures !!! thumb

Posts: 1543 | Location: Alberta/Namibia | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'd guess those pictures were genuine. I don't see the profit in spending the time and effort to pose the two in such a fashion. They are bloating and loosing fluid from the nose and back end so I'd guess they've been dead hours.

Spot on Scott. Good observations on your part. That should have been a "dead" give away to those that pay attention to details.
LDK

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6814 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Doesn't make any difference how long they have been dead. These pictures could have been the last ones taken after they were posed. Believe what you want to. Still looks posed to me.

DC300

Posts: 334 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 12 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
let me see if i have this right. you take 2 1200lb animals, pose them like this, leave them there long enough to bloat, then come back to take pictures- all for NO MONEY. SURE, MAKES SENSE TO ME!!!!!!!!!!!

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13392 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Whitetail deer do it. Cape buffalo do it. Maybe there are holes in the skulls where points entered?

That will make a nice "double skull mount" to commemorate this rare event. I hope someone makes a display with the bleached skulls and recreates the locked horns of combat to the death.

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Who won?

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of The Slug
posted Hide Post
quote:
Doesn't make any difference how long they have been dead. These pictures could have been the last ones taken after they were posed. Believe what you want to. Still looks posed to me.

Are you freakin' kidding? Do you have any idea what it would take to pose those animals like that? For what purpose would someone do it? You need a reality check. Life in the wild is tough and some times things don't work out the way we expect them to.

-+-+-

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - The Dalai Lama

Posts: 730 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blacktailer:
Who won?

I think they both lost!

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blacktailer:
Who won?

Pretty clearly a tie, but no rematch has been scheduled.

"If you’re innocent why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?”- Donald Trump

Posts: 10341 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 09 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How bizarre. That would have been an interesting sight to see. Thanks for posting.

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
poor Bastards.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
origionally posted by DC300

DC300 you can go to Youtube if you want to post some bsflag like that. We dont have that kind of forum here. Wink

6x NFR Qualifier
NFR Champion
Reserve World Champion Bareback Rider
PRCA Million Dollar Club
02' Salt Lake Olympic Qualifier
and an all around good guy!

Posts: 354 | Location: Fort Worth, TX | Registered: 12 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For those buff to have been posed they would have had to been shot at the same time.Once riga sets in you not bending there necks like that for anything.

Posts: 203 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 28 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't quite see how they are locked up? The horns seem quite loose around each other. Interesting is the pose. I would expect to see face to face, nose to nose or some semblance of that. Here they are back of head to back of head. I suppose they might have spun that way when they threw each other. I might also speculate that the bull on the bottom may have broke his neck when they fell and his horn penetrated the skull of the bull on the top.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thats kind of what it looks like to me as well. The bull on the bottoms head is nearly turned around backwards, it had to break the neck....

Whatever happened im sure it was a hell of a fight.....MMA African style!

6x NFR Qualifier
NFR Champion
Reserve World Champion Bareback Rider
PRCA Million Dollar Club
02' Salt Lake Olympic Qualifier
and an all around good guy!

Posts: 354 | Location: Fort Worth, TX | Registered: 12 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Looks real to me. Both buffs are bloated and appear to have been dead for several hours at the time the photo was taken. It would be very difficult to pose such a photo with such large animals.
Jeff

The true measure of a hunters skill is not the size of the trophy but rather the length of the shot with the greater measure of skill being the shorter shot---Jeff Cooper

Posts: 399 | Location: Cass County, Texas | Registered: 25 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know if those buffalo were posed or not, but these kudu were definatley found dead, my friend took these pictures while we were hunting in Botswana back in July.

Posts: 195 | Location: Bremerton, WA | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I really don't think that this is a staged photo. I think the fact that they have been dead for a few days at least would confirm that. It looks like they are probably disease-free buff too (looks almost like Mountain Zebra National Park terrain in the background by the way). Who would waste that amount of money for two bulls to stage a photo like that?

Also, there seems to be a lack of major predators in the reserve they are in, such as hyena or lion, would likely have found them by such time. Kudu bulls seem to die locked in battle from time to time, think it is due to their horn structure with all the curls, which probably have more of a grapple effect compared to other horn types.

Posts: 302 | Location: England | Registered: 10 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of prairiewolf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodmnctry:
quote:

Guess they must have moved the equipment out of sight and covered the tracks ---eh?

and in doing so they also covered the tracks and torn up ground that 2 bulls of that size would have made while fighting

bsflaglooks like some good photo shop work.

An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Posts: 144 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 28 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
some of you people are amazing. wow killpc

One of Us
Picture of JC375
posted Hide Post
I think it is a real shame that no anti hunting folks were around to seperate them before they parrished. Big Grin

Posts: 102 | Location: Florida | Registered: 04 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by prairiewolf:
quote:
Originally posted by Woodmnctry:
quote:

and in doing so they also covered the tracks and torn up ground that 2 bulls of that size would have made while fighting

bsflaglooks like some good photo shop work.

That's my whole point. The ground isn't torn up and neither are the animals. The grass and ground appear untouched to me. I'd think the animals would show some sign of battle. Look at the horns, not a mark. If two animals that size collided with enough force to lock horns that tightly there should be some evidence. The only blood visible is from the nose of one of them. One little trickle. None of us will ever know for sure.

DC300

one of us
Picture of Anders
posted Hide Post
You see this from time to time in Norway with wild reindeer. But they have like 20-30 points on their antlers.. This is just amazing!

Anders

Hunting and fishing DVDs from Mossing & Stubberud Media: www.jaktogfiskedvd.no

..and my blog at: http://andersmossing.blogspot.com

Posts: 1959 | Location: Norway | Registered: 19 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well I reckon if those Buffs were posed then somebody really did go to the extra effort in getting just the right amount of dung placed behind each bull!

My vote: This is legitimate.

JW

One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
Its gotta be posed.
First, They broke each buffalo's neck with a trick learned from the Crocodile Dundee movie using some kind of mind control. Then they used some of those machines like Ripley used to fight the Alien to get the horns locked. Then they moved 'em to the bush with a big fork-lift or a tractor-beam.
Then they brushed out the machine tracks using feathers and brush. Simple when you think about it. Cool
Then they moved in the exact amount of shit mentioned by Jeff.

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
While fighting they fell in that position and it was impossible for them to stand up again due to the position of their heads. They must have been very stressed and that must got thing worse.

Look at the droppings under their tails, they must have suffered a lot without being able to move in any direction. Poor animals Frowner

I must add that maybe one of them broke its neck making things more difficult to the other one.

L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
S Graves155

jumping jumping jumping

Funneeee!!!!!!!

One of Us
Picture of SBP
posted Hide Post
Staged. bsflag
If such were to happen they would both had to die instantaneously and simultaneously. I have seen cattle after they die from bloat(which can take hours) and they will lay there in one spot(such as these)and make a heck of a mess of the ground as they are dying from paddling their feet much as these would have in an attempt to regain their footing. I also know the power of a winch and some strong men. There is not a scuff mark on either bulls body or horn. No blood on either horn that is next to the others head and not enough penetration to be fatal anyways. If you were to twist the bottom bulls head more to the right the top bull would come loose if pulled slightly forward and tipped towards his chest.
Two bulls(or bucks) of any kind will make a mess when they fight.
The why ??? Well we are talking about humans and I have seen they have no need of why's.

That is my opinion. popcorn

Posts: 41 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 08 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Of course it is real.

(When I was a kid my father used to tell me that God hated a coward, I finally realized he has even less use for a fool.)

Posts: 887 | Location: Northwest Az | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Where was this?

Posts: 12094 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote