Find
Notify
Tools

Boddington Safari Course
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
Spend twenty bucks for the entry fee at the Safari Rifle Challenge in Libby Montana in two months and I bet you will get more experience and have more fun! You will shoot at moving lifesize targets alongside plenty of experienced hunters with African and worldwide experience who will be happy to help you out with good advice. I don't think Boddington will be there, but it would still be better experience.

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2272 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
Folks,

I'm a little surprised by the amount of vitriol being expressed over Mr. Boddington's attempt to provide a service for money. If it is of no interest to you don't buy it. Simple! If I was a safari newbie I think I'd be very interested in what Craig had to say since he has vast experience in African hunting. If I booked a hunter on his/her first X,Y,Z safari and they asked my opinion about buying Boddington's course I'd tell them to go for it. I might even recommend it. I've not read anything he's written or seen any of his videos that I thought were bullshit.

Mark

You have made a good point,but I can bet you a $ that a newbie after taking his course will go running off to buying products from his sponsors or his network connections,the old saying comes to mind,"a sucker is born every minute",this service is bunk but this is a free country & anyone can offer a product,I personally learned everything here on AR & after six trips to Africa will probably learn some more here,you want to learn hunting go hunt.

DRSS

Posts: 2279 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a serious question so don’t crucify me. Did Boddington or someone that represents him actually sell off used clothing?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I reckon a guy does what a guy does to bring in a buck, but ever since he got caught running around wearing general's stars before he got the promotion, I quit buying any magazine with one of his articles in it. I have absolutely no respect for that POS.

......civilize 'em with a Krag

Posts: 291 | Location: Way out west | Registered: 23 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny reb:
I have a serious question so don’t crucify me. Did Boddington or someone that represents him actually sell off used clothing?

As I recall, his cameraman was trying to sell certain items of clothing. I forget the details.

Posts: 12094 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ikesdad:
I reckon a guy does what a guy does to bring in a buck, but ever since he got caught running around wearing general's stars before he got the promotion, I quit buying any magazine with one of his articles in it. I have absolutely no respect for that POS.

Lol I don't think thats what happend, he explained it here some years ago. Damn Craig seem to stir up emotions like Mark Sullivan these days.

Posts: 2638 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes it is what happened. He was wearing the stars before authorized to.

Posts: 291 | Location: Way out west | Registered: 23 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yes it is what happened. He was wearing the stars before authorized to.

He was in fact ordered to wear the star for his duties overseas - by not one but two generals. The senate does say then you have to wait until a spot is open - reserves are only allowed to have ten generals and one has to retire or die before the next select can officially start earning the pay of the position.

I dont defend Craig on anything but this just feels like BS. (but I'm no American).

I have met the man a few times and even tough I'm chubby he was very interested how my ele hunting went.

Posts: 2638 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
At his rank he knew the rules. And if ordered to, then that smells like an illegal order.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow, subsailor took a nice shot at our Tracks show,but seems to have forgot that CTB was the series first host. To set the record PERFECTLY STRAIGHT, we have NEVER, CTB or post CTB ever said 'this or that gear is the ONLY gear to use on safari."
We do however use the same gear year after year, going into 13th season of Tracks, because we believe in it,have proven it's worth year after year, and are proud of our sponsorship relationships. But saying we say' it's the only gear to use, that's inaccurate at best, biased bullshit at it's worst. Dave, you are a die hard CTB fan, fine. But your post rubs me the wrong way...

Dave Fulson

Posts: 1467 | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny reb:

Yes.

His representative did advertise his used clothing for sale.

I think it was used shirts, not underwear!

But, getting the impression from his clueless, utterly stupid, representative, Boddington was not aware of this fact.

His representative only came on AR to “teach us all a lesson”!

Somehow that has backfired.

I think his representative was the sort of person who would have loved to sell his underwear, if his used shirts got a flying start.

Honestly, I liked reading his earlier books, and what correspondent we have had he has been a gentleman.

But, I think I understand what Cal has posted regarding him turning into an advertising vehicle.

I also bet this latest “teaching you to prepare “ for safari is nothing but another attempt at selling more products for his “sponsors”.

Very sad indeed!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68609 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Man....this really is a tough crowd!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
I guess this thread is why CB does not come on AR to sell his wares.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Or come here at all....

Posts: 481 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: 20 June 2008Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Neilson:

Not really my friend.

Only people stating their minds without being restricted by Moderators bent on giving their advertisers free reign to lie about anything they sell clap

I base my decision to buy a product or service on its quality and how it stands on its own two feet.

Not by being endorsed by some celebrity.

Posts: 68609 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
quote:

Not really my friend.

Only people stating their minds without being restricted by Moderators bent on giving their advertisers free reign to lie about anything they sell clap

I base my decision to buy a product or service on its quality and how it stands on its own two feet.

Not by being endorsed by some celebrity.

Frankly Saeed, the greatest thing about AR is no censorship / moderating. If you're gonna post here - make sure you don't leave your balls in your wife's purse!wave

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
quote:

Not really my friend.

I don't know, seems like Craig is taking his lumps at one of those dreaded websites where the owner has it as a ***gasp*** money making business.

https://www.africahunting.com/...inance-debate.42879/

Posts: 584 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: 13 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
CB is a gifted writer and storyteller. I have enjoyed his books over the years. I also respect his military service.

International hunting at the level he writes about and participates in is a sport for the wealthy. Constant exposure to that lifestyle combined with poor money skills can tempt a man to do some stupid stuff. The older I get, the fewer stones I seek to throw. Probably because I am thankful most of my character flaws aren’t out for public consumption and passing entertainment.

I hope to have him autograph my copy of Safari Rifles one day and would gladly share a beer with him, knowing full well I would likely be picking up the tab.

Personally, I have much more trouble with a man that shoots his PH, comes here with his hat out, and later brags on his latest double rifle acquisition and various hunts.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3108 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Goodness. The endemic lack of civility on the internet extends to this forum. I haven't taken his online courses, but I have found Mr. Boddington's books both informative and entertaining, and of great aid in planning a first safari.

My only personal encounter with him was an email inquiry about Jack Lott and the origin of the .458 Lott. I had come across a PDF of a 1984 G&A publication "Big Bore Rifles: Stopping Power for Dangerous Game" edited by a young Craig Boddington and with an article by Jack Lott.

Mr. Boddington took the time to type a detailed and informative response. That was kind and thoughtful. I respect his service in the military, and I'll continue to purchase his books.

Posts: 114 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 07 October 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duckear:
CB is a gifted writer and storyteller. I have enjoyed his books over the years. I also respect his military service.

International hunting at the level he writes about and participates in is a sport for the wealthy. Constant exposure to that lifestyle combined with poor money skills can tempt a man to do some stupid stuff. The older I get, the fewer stones I seek to throw. Probably because I am thankful most of my character flaws aren’t out for public consumption and passing entertainment.

I hope to have him autograph my copy of Safari Rifles one day and would gladly share a beer with him, knowing full well I would likely be picking up the tab.

Personally, I have much more trouble with a man that shoots his PH, comes here with his hat out, and later brags on his latest double rifle acquisition and various hunts.

You forgot to mention he somehow found the means to buy one of the larger booking agencies in North America.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rxgremlin:
Or come here at all....

He was on here for a while, but brow beat to death so he left.

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Capt. Purvis:
I good friend of mine was a huge Craig Boddington fan. I went my friend to an event where Boddington was speaking. My friend purchased a 416 at the event and wanted to get Boddington to sign it. I went up with him to the table to meet Boddington and he gave him the rifle and asked to have it autographed. Keep in mind that my fiend is overweight. Boddington asked my friend what he was going to hunt with his rifle and my friend told him elephants. Boddington had never met the guy but responded. "You are too fat to hunt elephants!'
Boddington lost one of his biggest fans that day. Since this incident my fiend has killed four bull elephants.

What I love about this is that your friend proved him sooo wrong... tu2

I would much rather hunt ele with an overweight man WITH A COOL HEAD than an nervous athlete..

Posts: 3974 | Location: Vell, I yust dont know.. | Registered: 27 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Any bloke that promotes hunting in Africa is fine by me.

If Craig wants to make a few bob selling his wares then so be it and he does us no wrong.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9947 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
quote:

Please, if you are going to disparage, do yourself a favor and get the FACTS, lest you look like an idiot. ooops, to late!

HINT: He PROMOTED to Brigadier General and was waiting for his number to come up. His immediate superior, a Lieutenant-General, "frocked" him, had I been in his shoes, I would have done the same..

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
quote:

You forgot to mention he somehow found the means to buy one of the larger booking agencies in North America.

NAME? otherwise, why bother.

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:
quote:
Originally posted by rxgremlin:
Or come here at all....

He was on here for a while, but brow beat to death so he left.

I know, I remember the whole Punki incident and the used clothing debacle. On the bright side I did learn a new term. I will from time to time use "douche nozzle".

Posts: 481 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: 20 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jorge:
quote:

I believe his initials are TH.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Please, if you are going to disparage, do yourself a favor and get the FACTS, lest you look like an idiot. ooops, to late!

HINT: He PROMOTED to Brigadier General and was waiting for his number to come up. His immediate superior, a Lieutenant-General, "frocked" him, had I been in his shoes, I would have done the same..

Exactly. No, just another jealous individual taking a cheap shot.

Bob

Posts: 2989 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 12 October 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There are many things CTB has done that I don't admire (writing about the new Rigby rifles without disclosing he had a vested in the company for example, is a clear ethics issue and today probably illegal). However, I have never criticized his military service and never will. I know the Navy has frocked officers before, and frankly, don't understand what the big deal is with him putting on the star.

I will say this as a guy who has lots of friends who have served: it is damn hard to get to be a flag officer. In general (no pun intended), I never saw a general who was incompetent or a jerk.

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
There are many things CTB has done that I don't admire (writing about the new Rigby rifles without disclosing he had a vested in the company for example, is a clear ethics issue and today probably illegal). However, I have never criticized his military service and never will. I know the Navy has frocked officers before, and frankly, don't understand what the big deal is with him putting on the star.

I will say this as a guy who has lots of friends who have served: it is damn hard to get to be a flag officer. In general (no pun intended), I never saw a general who was incompetent or a jerk.

The new London Rigby? Thought he was only involved with Rigby when it was in California with rogue river rifleworks? Didn’t even know you could invest in rigby now with blaser involved?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know Mr. Boddington. I will state that upfront.

I met him only once when he signed my copy of Safari Rifles. He was very kind to me.

His writing brought me to Africa. I will return for my 8th safari this summer.

I doubt however that he's perfect. I certainly am not. Only One has been.

If he has committed crimes, he should be brought to justice. If he has not, then he is probably like the rest of us, trying to make a living. All of us will have to face the Day of Judgement. We all hope that the left and right side of the Book of Life balances each other out. Or, we can hope for forgiveness...

My understanding is, that it was his videographer that was selling his shirts, but I'm not priviledged to that inside information. It is also my understanding that his superior put those stars on his shoulders. If the military is anything like my martial art, one does not give orders to his superior, does not speak unless spoken to, and then replies only 'Yes Sir' or 'No Sir' while staring straight ahead at attention. And again, all information I have is only from the internet, but Mr. Boddington did explain himself exactly on what happened that day. Whether one believes him or not is our priviledge.

But I do know that he served our country honorably in the military for many years. And that is way more than I have done. For that alone, he has my gratitude and respect. For anyone he has wronged, he needs to make it right.

Posts: 2623 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BaxterB:
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:

The new London Rigby? Thought he was only involved with Rigby when it was in California with rogue river rifleworks? Didn’t even know you could invest in rigby now with blaser involved?

California; it was called new back then.

One of Us
Picture of Wesheltonj
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I am not a Navy guy, so I am asking. It is my understanding that only the Secretary of the Navy, on the recommendation of the Commandant of the Marine Corps, could have approved Boddington's frocking, and only after the list was formally approved by the Senate. Is this not correct?

Posts: 769 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 13 April 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Tim Herald is the guy's name. No clue what company he bought.

one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wesheltonj:
quote:
quote:

I am not a Navy guy, so I am asking. It is my understanding the only the Secretary of the Navy, on the recommendation of the Commandant of the Marine Corps, could have approved Boddington's frocking, and only after the list was formally approved by the Senate. Is this not correct?

Frocking is weird to this army guy, but the navy still uses it. Throwback to a time when worldwide communication could take months.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frocking

IIRC, flag officer require SECDEF to sign off, not just your boss.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duckear:
quote:
quote:

Tim Herald is the guy's name. No clue what company he bought.

Tim posts here, just ask him. I do not believe he bought WTA or the Cabela's TAGS group, I believe he books for them. Tim is a good guy.

Posts: 10358 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 35whelenman
posted Hide Post
The Marine Corps frocks a Marine when that Marine has been selected for the next rank, but has not yet reached his promotion date, and requires that higher rank to provide necessary authority to execute his assigned role.

The Marine is not paid at the higher rank's pay rate until actually promoted.

As an example from my decade with the Corps; a recruiting station is led by a Major, who will have 3-4 Captains working for him. If the new recruiting station commander is a senior Captain who has been selected for Major, but will begin leading the station before his promotion date, he will be frocked to Major. Helps keep all the nasty little Captains in order.

If Boddington was frocked, then he had been selected for the next rank. The question is whether it was imperative to the execution of his duties that he have a star. I was just a Captain myself, and have no knowledge of the particulars, so I can't say for sure. However, the Corps prides itself on Marines being able to operate above their rank and responsibilities, no matter what. Frocking is also extremely rare. I would expect my boss to do his job regardless of what sits on his collar, and personally think this was about ego and nothing else. Which is piss poor for a Marine officer.

Posts: 162 | Registered: 14 September 2014Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Tim had an accident, which any of us could have had.

And from what I know, he has tried his utmost to help his professional hunter, which any of us in his position would do.

Many members here have helped his professional hunter financially, which we should all admire.

I think Conservation Force stopped taking donations for his PH because he used some of the money to pay a lawyer.

Using donation money to pay a lawyer is not in their rules.

Tim has done anything wrong, neither has Boddington.

Him selling this service for safari hunters might be a marketing mistake done by someone else, just like we have seen someone close to him tried to sell his used clothes, and he was unaware if it.

This really is no different to what we see everywhere now about some self appointed nutcase giving "self improvement" courses.

Apparently they help lost souls discover themselves!

Just imagine, being an adult and you finally realized that you have discovered who you are. rotflmo

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 35whelenman:
The Marine Corps frocks a Marine when that Marine has been selected for the next rank, but has not yet reached his promotion date, and requires that higher rank to provide necessary authority to execute his assigned role.

The Marine is not paid at the higher rank's pay rate until actually promoted.

As an example from my decade with the Corps; a recruiting station is led by a Major, who will have 3-4 Captains working for him. If the new recruiting station commander is a senior Captain who has been selected for Major, but will begin leading the station before his promotion date, he will be frocked to Major. Helps keep all the nasty little Captains in order.

If Boddington was frocked, then he had been selected for the next rank. The question is whether it was imperative to the execution of his duties that he have a star. I was just a Captain myself, and have no knowledge of the particulars, so I can't say for sure. However, the Corps prides itself on Marines being able to operate above their rank and responsibilities, no matter what. Frocking is also extremely rare. I would expect my boss to do his job regardless of what sits on his collar, and personally think this was about ego and nothing else. Which is piss poor for a Marine officer.

Good post above and a few more words on Frocking are in order and maybe Admiral Dave will chime in.
Frocking was a way of life in the Navy, PRIOR to Goldwater-Nichols when the other services (army and af) started to make an issue out of it because on paper, the Navy had more senior officers as an example. Anyway, back in the day, the second the promotion list was out, COs would call an AOM (all officer meeting) and frock those selected on the same day (then off to the now defunct Officer's clubs (thanks, democrats) for a drink-ex.
After Goldwater-Nichols, one had to be in a rank designated billet (keep in mind regulations allow for a billet to be filled by "one up or one down" in rank. When I selected for the Senior Course at the War College (a Commander billet) in 1995, I had also just been on the commander promotion list), my then boss (a three star) gave me a frocking letter with a date matching my report date to Newport. The day I checked in, I broke out the letter, took it to personnel and basically promoted myself. Prior to Goldwater Nichols, my boss would have promoted me on the DAY the promotion message came out. HAd I been in Craig's shoes and my three star frocked me, no fucking was I would have said no. My bet is someone had it out for Craig AND his boss and crucified them for this. Total bullshit.

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
Allow me to clarify.

Craig's early writings were well done and informative. His Safari Rifles is my favorite.

Then, when he started to sell himself by his endorsements, it was rather nauseating. The books and articles all told more of the best (rifle, sling, ammo, boots, sleeping bag, binoculars, binocular straps, hat, shooting gloves, safari company etc..pick one) than the hunt itself. He was being paid to write glowing reports. He has stated he pays for his safaris but one gent here on AR saw in person CB telling a PH to give him a hunt for good press. He also borrowed a few hundred thousand before filing bankruptcy, stiffing a good friend of mine. A perfect example on how money corrupts. Then, selling his underwear and asking for his "fans" to pay for the medical expenses of a guy his daughter shot on safari. Now, I don't read magazines that publish his stuff and have discarded anything I had of his later writings.

But, I still treasure my Safari Rifles.
Cal

Damn Cal, why don't you tell us how you feel about Boddington?

................................................................... lol

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote