Tools

Boddington Safari Course
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
I enjoy reading Boddington and watching his videos.He has been on many hunts and during a period when hunting was most extraordinary .You can learn things about African hunting from his books that you will never hear about on AR.On the subject of his personal life I believe that no ones life is without fault.There is good and bad amongst all.I do think that who you hang out with and what you do say a lot about you.For example people who get divorced are not the most family oriented people etc...

It's a cold day in hell when I agree with Shootaway. I enjoy CB's writings, he ahs vast experience, and I don't care of personal issues. I made the choice to stop reading his works only when he began selling products he was paid to endorse and the selling (of products and of himself) began to take up too much print. I'd rather he'd go back to his old style and tell us the facts of the hunt, not which is the best bullet, binocular strap, etc.
IMHO Safari Rifles was his best work.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had my first exposure to African hunting in the late seventies or early eighties.It was an article on buff hunting by Boddington in one of the popular gun mags of the time-Peterson's or Gun&Ammo.I found it cool that you could hunt a big, tough buff with large calibers and solids,shoot and follow it up in the tall grass etc...

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of adamhunter
posted Hide Post
I like CB, enjoy his show and his works. He was also very nice to me in my two meetings with him, including an AR gathering in Atlanta some years ago. So he is a paid endorser of products and has a safari course DVD, it doesn't mean I take his word as the gospel. I'm smart enough to form my own opinions on products and services. I guess some aren't and that rubs them the wrong way.

30+ years experience tells me that perfection hit at .264. Others are adequate but anything before or after is wishful thinking.

Posts: 854 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
quote:
Originally posted by billrquimby:
Saeed:

I think it would be interesting if those of us who have spent our lifetimes as full-time writers, editors, authors, publishers and videomakers as well as in other aspects of the hunting communications industry had a place on AR where we could rank and criticize those who work in other professions.

To level the playing field, we'd need a rule that we could not post if we had even a smattering of knowledge about what is needed to survive and succeed in the professions we choose to attack that day.

Big Grin

Bill Quimby

Bill,

We have over a 100 forums, covering practically all aspects of hunting and shooting.

So if you feel inclined to participate on any of them, and state your own opinion, please go ahead.

An open public forum, by definition, is open to all members to post whatever they wish.

Take the subject at hand on this thread.

A website was set up to drum up business, its purpose is for maximum exposure, hopefully many people will decide to join this course.

Nothing is wrong with that by itself.

But one cannot stop people who visit the site to form an opinion, and voice these opinions, whether they are positive or negative.

Years ago I used to shoot at the Houston Gun Club.

They used to get someone from Holland and Holland to run a course on how to shoot.

Personally, I thought it was all a load of bullshit, people joined in because of the name Holland and Holland.

There was an old gentleman there giving shooting lessons, who did a much better job.

I suspect the same case here.

Boddignton being a known person, he is taking advantage of that.

I understand there are some shooting schools that offer course on hunting.

I bet people will get a lot more benefit from those than attending this course.

==============

Amazing. I wrote those two paragraphs tongue-in-cheek, based loosely on the bromide about walking in another man's shoes before being qualified to criticize him. It certainly applies here.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What Bill said.

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13001 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wesheltonj
posted Hide Post
Looks like Safari Ed, left as a sponsor over on AH. Too much heat?

Posts: 769 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 13 April 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wesheltonj:
Looks like Safari Ed, left as a sponsor over on AH. Too much heat?

He didn't vet his client very well did he?

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote